Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordCrow

hello this is my first post after lurking this discussion for some times, i'm a casual player and usually play with cassandra | medium | temperate forest | small hills.
I try some NB starts, i found interesting most of the new features of this version, like the wildlife tab (no more searching all map for predator or small animals) or the new caravan ui very usefull.

My main problem is that after two-three raids i found paws with tattered appareal (expecially the brawler with the plate armors) and i have to keep crafting them to be at max defence and prevent the mood debuff, and looting the raiders it not very usefull as most of their gear come with low durability and also give the deadman appareal mood debuff, there is the possibility to add some sort of reparing maybe degrading the quality each time, for example a good flak vest would be repaired but become normal quality and when awful or poor quality is reached it's not possible to repair it anymore.

A things that happen to me is that one paw disappear from the colony and re-appear sometimes later as prisoner in a prisoner quest, i checked the message logs and i don't see anything that would cause the paw to exit the colony, usually i kill every raiders (maybe 1-2 of the faster can flee) so i was surprised when i see that (fortunatly she was guarded by 9 tribals so i rescue her and come back with 2 prisoners).

Another quality of life features would be to create cleaning priority areas right now i have to micromanage the cleaning of the kitchen to prevent food poisoning.

Madman666

I still hope for quality clothing to bring some positive moodlets. Doesn't have to be anything big, but if tattered and tainted apparel upsets a colonist, excellent and above quality should bring some comfort related mood boosts. That d be quite nice detail.

Perq

Quote from: 5thHorseman on July 05, 2018, 12:31:49 AM
It's not in the changelog but did they intentionally make you have to research to tailor? I don't mind if so but it surprised me.

I know it's recent because I have a tailoring bench in a new save that I started 1 version ago, but can't build another.

They're changing around the research value needed for certain stuff. If you have a save file with something researched but now it needs a little more (say, from 1400 to 1600) you just need to research the difference 200.

So yeah, while research values are getting balanced, this can be a little weird. :P
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

RemingtonRyder

I had a go at the Naked Brutality scenario yesterday (Phoebe Chillax, Basebuilder difficulty, cold&wet world).

First of all I had Engie chop some wood and cut some berries, and fix up the ruin nearby. It's pretty cold, so having somewhere warm for her to sleep seemed like a good idea.

There are some caves nearby with insect hives. A manhunting squirrel takes a shortcut through the caves and gets instantly annihilated by the insects.

While Engie works on extending the initial building (lots of tree chopping) I get her to cut some more berries to keep hunger at bay, and haul some of those back home. I also add a couple of passive coolers so that she doesn't get too warm inside the steam hut.

Engie is fairly skilled at crafting so she crafts herself a good quality short bow.

A lucky cargo pod contains almost three stacks of corn, which also gets dragged back home.

The first raider arrives just as I finish building some cheap wooden deadfall traps. They give him some injuries, but he still manages to get some hits on Engie before she escapes into the steam hut.

However, because there is an insect hive nearby, the raider decides to suicide into the insects since he can't get at Engie any more.

Engie sneaks over to the insect hive later on, steals some insect jelly for herself, and then also drags the raider's body out of the cave and strips him down for clothes. Hey, they're tainted and tattered, but it's better than going outside wearing nothing.

So far I've found it to be a fun scenario, and a bit difficult in the beginning. But well worth playing.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Syrchalis

I just want to say the game feels a lot more refined than in B18 and it's also more enjoyable to play. I have much less mods, yet it feels there is more to do, simply because there is more missions and the missions are more worthwhile plus caravans aren't as annoying to use anymore.

There is still quite a few QoL things that could be improved, not involving any new content or large chunks of work, like colonists reclaiming their beds when returning from a caravan. (HINT HINT)
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Tynan

New build! Thanks for the ongoing feedback everyone. Still lots to do over here.

---
EDIT: Build withdrawn due to serious bug.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Bones

Quote from: Tynan on July 05, 2018, 09:03:53 AM
Added sniper turret.
Ambush site part threat points now scale with the player colony's strength.
Downed refugees can no longer spawn with bleeding wounds (so they don't die while the player is trying to rescue them).
Simplified rules for trap springing. They now never spring on you or allies, and always spring on anyone else. Deadfall traps can now catch wild animals.
Predators no longer hunt humanlikes.
Added "Be carried if sick" toggle.

Oh my god! And here I was thinking about giving some time before playing again, right back to fire I go!

Ser Kitteh

At this point I'm sure that Tynan and the others have gotten the hint about reclaiming beds when returning from caravaning. If it was a simple fix, it would have been added in a long time ago.

Oh hey an update, lemme read ...

No more research sleeping bags. Good. It's just a bag.

Okay, pekoe should totally be called pekoe. It's the same thing with the difficulties and glitterworld meds. It gives Rimworld flavor. Changing it to tea may confuse players because pekoe is under drugs and new players will be confused why pawns are being addicted to it.

Unpopular opinion: I don't mind predators hunting pawns. It makes sense. Should have kept it.

As for traps, I am totally cool with it now catching wild animals. Not so much allies not setting them off. Checker pattern works 99.99%. I've never had a problem with it. What should not trigger at all however is allies triggering IEDs. That would be more useful.

Yes yes, theory crafting and all that. Back to the swamps I go! Sniper turrets you say ....

logros13

Quote from: Tynan on July 04, 2018, 09:09:35 AM
New update. Various changes.

Note that the changelog is in reverse chronological order if some changes seem contradictory.

---

Remove the "they learned your trap locations" mechanics since nobody ever noticed them anyway. Reworked them to "they're smart, they can avoid your turrets and some of your traps".
Refactor FactionTacticalMemory and changed remember chance from 20% to 100%.
Adjust storyteller descriptions.
Caravan.Resting -> NightResting to make its meaning clear.
beCarriedByCaravanIfSick now defaults to true
Sick caravan members now rest in the best available bed when the caravan is not moving. Sick caravan members can now be carried by other pawns.
Tech level research penalty maxes at industrial level, this makes final research projects a lot easier. Rebalanced research projects. Removed Bridges research project.
Rearrange research and remove some dependencies. Adjusted some research prices. Properly format research XML.
Adjust difficulties descriptions.
Recolor berries object to have a more generalized purple color.
Fix berry bush positioning in cell.
Made a bunch of internal classes public.
Tending interval now depends on how many doctors there are in the caravan. Caravan members needing immediate treatment are now treated first.
Made sure that all site parts can always generate at least 1 enemy.
Caravan pawns no longer use JoyKinds they're bored of.

Another long time player first time poster here. o/

While i will probably do a more substantial post once i finish my current game ran across a situation i felt the need to complain about report immediately. I just had a sapper raid that spawned in the north west corner of the map, ran towards my base in the middle of the map until it hit my turret perimeter, circled around my entire base until they reached the south east corner of the map (where i had not built turrets yet) and attack from there. While this is smart and even realistic behavior i does feel like it renders turrets rather pointless. My understanding from context is that the change was ment to nerf kill boxes and other cheesy tactics, not to make turrets useless entirely.

Another thought i had when i saw this (which i have admittedly not tested witch means this part is just theory crafting) is that this behavior of raider refusing to enter turret range seems very exploitable if combined with snipers.

screenshots for clarity, raider path in red turrets marked with green dots for clarity:

Edit: screenshots not appearing for some reason?

while i am at it i remembered another thing i noticed that might need balancing: After being shocked seeing 2 of my pawns in good quality steel plate armor (with power armor helmets) being killed in a single strike each by tribal pawn (non brawler with only 2 melee skill according to my examination of the body after death, destroyed the torso of one of my pawns neck of the other) i noticed that his mace had 50 armor penetration (normal quality, steel. 59 head armor penetration, 39.3 damage / 2 sec). Considering that "good" steel plate only has 36.1 blunt armor this would mean that my pawns where practically naked before him if i understand the armor system correctly.
(semi-theory crafting with controlled experiment beyond this point) Some testing of my own later showed me that even excellent power armor only has 54 blunt armor (45 base) while a simple marble club has has 49 armor penetration and a mastercrafted plasteel mace has 86 average (and 103 head) armor penetration! I understand that blunt weapons are supposed to be good against armor but even excellent power armor being barely better than being naked when faced with a basic steel mace (or even stone club) seems broken to me...

Tynan

XeoNovaDan, the reason your post got removed is because it was pure theorycrafting (in addition to the fact that it had no constructive content).The purpose of this thread is to discuss experiences playing the build. How about actually trying the new turret before declaring that it's unbalanced and useless?

Panzer

Traps never springing on allies is gonna be sick, no more checker patterns, total no-go zones instead. Cant wait to try that out! ;D

Sirsir

Tynan you broke stone doors, lol. Pawns keep opening them but not going through. At least in slightly older saves. Hang on starting new one now, also gonna try de-reconstructing them to see what happens

Tynan

Logros - Yeah the "smart" raiders go around, most raids aren't "Smart" but a few are. They're announced in the letter. It's a special thing; it reduces the number of raiders to compensate.

Quote from: Sirsir on July 05, 2018, 09:43:41 AM
Tynan you broke stone doors, lol. Pawns keep opening them but not going through. At least in slightly older saves. Hang on starting new one now, also gonna try de-reconstructing them to see what happens

Sorry. Gonna revert. Probably won't be back up for 18 hours or so.

Sirsir

Even on a fresh map it happens, but when another pawn trys to use the same door at the same time they both pass.

Twis7

I like the changes to the outdoors stockpiles. It makes sense that things deteriorate if left unroofed but deteriorate slower if roofed but outdoors however this becomes an issue with mortars and mortar shells. Mortars have to be outside (obviously) and you have to load shells one at a time it makes sense to have a stockpile of shells nearby. My current setup has a 2x2 roofed stockpile of shells between two mortars but because it's outside the shells are deteriorating. As far as balancing is concerned would it be implausible to say that shells deteriorate if unroofed but not if roofed?