Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bones

Quote from: Twis7 on July 05, 2018, 09:51:15 AM
I like the changes to the outdoors stockpiles. It makes sense that things deteriorate if left unroofed but deteriorate slower if roofed but outdoors however this becomes an issue with mortars and mortar shells. Mortars have to be outside (obviously) and you have to load shells one at a time it makes sense to have a stockpile of shells nearby. My current setup has a 2x2 roofed stockpile of shells between two mortars but because it's outside the shells are deteriorating. As far as balancing is concerned would it be implausible to say that shells deteriorate if unroofed but not if roofed?

Just make a shelf to store it. It won't deteriorate.

Nucelar

Hi Tynan, I have a small request. It has probably already been requested by someone else, but I really really need a conduit deconstruct, because having to deconstruct each and every one of the conduits (besides something is almost always in front so you have to click twice) is a real pain for me. I'm sure you've already think about it (maybe it's even written in one of those 12 pages of yours), but I just wanted to remind you :)

Thank you.

P.S. I've been playing the game for several alphas and I still love it.

JavaWho

"You Shall Not Pass" .. wait that was Gandolf, but stone doors feel the same way.  Colonists, Animals and Visitors to your map alike shall not pass through your doors regardless if it was an existing or new map.   Colonist will also get stuck in an endless cycle of trying to repair these stone doors or just stand at them in a state of confusion, poor things.  Steel doors appear to be working. 

On the other hand the traps are working great, every field mouse in the area is in danger as they race their tortoise rival.

Pic showing colonists trapped in doors and death by trap to the local wildlife the latter working as intended I think?

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198094995854/screenshot/943950911478347163

Boboid

Quote from: logros13 on July 05, 2018, 09:29:05 AM
(semi-theory crafting with controlled experiment beyond this point) Some testing of my own later showed me that even excellent power armor only has 54 blunt armor (45 base) while a simple marble club has has 49 armor penetration and a mastercrafted plasteel mace has 86 average (and 103 head) armor penetration! I understand that blunt weapons are supposed to be good against armor but even excellent power armor being barely better than being naked when faced with a basic steel mace (or even stone club) seems broken to me...

Something is very wrong with those numbers.
I'm looking at a Marble Club right now and it has 13% AP on its Poke and 23% on its Head.
And as for a Masterwork quality Plasteel Mace: 23%/41% respectively.
While melee is quite effective and I'm slowly becoming of the opinion that Blunt damage is more or less better for the player to use in almost every circumstance compared to Sharp, your numbers aren't right.
---
The gift goodwill impact being modified by relations is interesting and quite noticeable.
Unfortunately I feel like I've immediately broken the system by just delaying gifts to caravans I've called until reputation is ~+40. It reduces the efficiency a bit but certainly not enough to break my " Constantly call caravans at every opportunity " rhythm. Will have to keep testing and see if it slows down my colony wealth.

The trap springing change is already yielding fantastic fruit as my allied caravans stomp all over my randomly scattered deadfall traps. Such a relief after just one caravan.
---
Melee
On the subject of melee - after 5.5 years of Cass, Hard(Switched to V-hard after ~day220, Arid Shrub, Flat, Year-round growing, tribal start, I'm at 25 colonists and ~250k wealth. Wasn't particularly interested in enviromental difficulty, just wanted to combat-test the hell out of melee.
Longswords
I'm pretty much of the opinion that Longswords can go suck an egg. In fact.. so can all the sharp weapons.
Longswords cost 2x as much to make as maces, take 3x longer to craft, and are worth ~2x as much. And you have to research them, blargh!
So what about damage and general performance? Well you're not getting what you pay for that's for sure.
A longsword might yield ~20% more raw dps compared to a mace but it comes with significant disadvantages.
Their armor penetration (While impressive in isolation) doesn't compare particularly well to Maces, It's ~2x as much AP on average compared to a Mace but due to the fact that most apparel has >x2 the sharp resistance that's not super impressive.
Power armor and Flak equipment are both particularly comparatively vulnerable to blunt damage which are the most dangerous and common armor types for raiders respectively.
More Longswords(Cor, I really do yammer on don't I?)
What about vs unarmoured targets? Surely vs tribals longsword's raw dps would be worthwhile? Well.. I tried that for about 2 years (Switching to swords when tribals appeared) and finally gave up and sold all my swords to reduce the wealth bloat.
Longswords do impressive damage per swing but.. they swing more slowly than maces, stun less often (Only 1/3 of their attacks do blunt damage) and often overkill whatever part they hit which wastes a lot of damage.

While I'm on the subject.. how does the game determine which melee attack it wants to use? It's not uncommon for pawns to punch even when they're armed.. and it's not clear how likely a weapon is to use any given attack. Are longswords inherently hampered by having a low damage blunt attack that still has the same attack frequency? I have no clue.

Stunning
Stunning is quite frankly incredibly powerful -though not particularly consistent- as often when meleeing enemies you're either outnumbered (Tribals/large sapper raids) or really don't want that target to swing its horrible death arms(Scythers, some sappers with plasteel weapon, bears, insects) so in most cases Maces are without a doubt the right call.

Power Claws
I can't find a use for Power claws on a melee focused pawn, as cool as they'd be :(. By and large if you have a good melee weapon replacing a hand with a Power Claw reduces the listed dps and since I don't know how often pawns are swinging with their hands instead of their weapons it's hard to put a value on. I know that Bionic/Archotech arms will yield bonuses in the melee department and won't penalize manipulation..
Basically they just feel rare, expensive, cool, but small penalties.
I question their overall usefulness on ranged pawns as well, I tried giving dedicated shooters claws in my last game and just got them to drop their weapons when engaged in melee which more or less worked but it was clunky and there's still that manipulation penalty weighing them down. Affecting hit chance of both melee and ranged fire as well as general work efficiency. "Why not use bionic arms?" was always the question.

Brain injuries
Overall if I had a complaint at all it would be how common brain injuries can be when meleeing. I think it's mostly down to the fact that melee pawns on average receive considerably more hits per battle. The hits might be small but it doesn't take much to make someone seriously mentally handicapped. Especially when fighting enemies with ranged weapons since they're so unlikely to incapacitate a pawn as they feebly gun-bash away at plate armor.
I got fairly lucky in my run and I've had 9 healer serums, but I've had 8 brain injuries :P.
Even when wearing power armor helmets those noggins get knocked about a lot!

Summary
Overall I think melee is in a really good spot, it's competitive, enjoyable, and different. However, if it's not a Mace or a Longsword(Though I don't personally recommend them) then it's just fluff for the AI to use most of the time.
Which is fine, I enjoy the melee diversity and it's good for scaling enemy.
Oh since I forgot earlier - Not causing bleeding wounds (most of the time) is still a huge point in Blunt's favor.

Control still isn't great and it requires a lot of pausing and microing, the addition reasonably large (Somewhere between 0.5-1 animals per colonist) dog (And now Bear,woo! Thank you exotic goods traders!Food efficient Bears!) pack makes a huge difference pre-shield-belts, locking down or drawing the fire of unengaged enemies. Still effective post-belts.
---

Shame about the door problem and subsequent revert, was looking forward to testing out sniper turrets. Brief look at their stats made me go "oOoOooOooo"

Oh and uhh.. Maybe take a quick look at the way Trees/cacti grow in Arid Shrubland? I swear blind that natural wood is harder to obtain in Arid than it is in Deserts. In fact I keep getting beaver events that just waffle about and leave the map because there are no trees. Apart from the ones I have jealously planted and walled in.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

logros13

Quote from: Boboid on July 05, 2018, 10:43:39 AM
Something is very wrong with those numbers.
I'm looking at a Marble Club right now and it has 13% AP on its Poke and 23% on its Head.
And as for a Masterwork quality Plasteel Mace: 23%/41% respectively.
While melee is quite effective and I'm slowly becoming of the opinion that Blunt damage is more or less better for the player to use in almost every circumstance compared to Sharp, your numbers aren't right.

fired up a new map and spawned some weapons in god mode after double checking the weapons in the old save and the stats are indeed different between the saves, apparently something borked while transitioning between versions. In other words move along nothing to see here.  :-[

To bad i'l have to start a new game, rather likes that fort.  :'(

Marstannum

Oh and uhh.. Maybe take a quick look at the way Trees/cacti grow in Arid Shrubland? I swear blind that natural wood is harder to obtain in Arid than it is in Deserts. In fact I keep getting beaver events that just waffle about and leave the map because there are no trees. Apart from the ones I have jealously planted and walled in.

My current game (Phoebe Medium, Arid Shrub, mountainous, river, coastal) is my first time playing in Arid Shrubland, as I am a total noob who has only played one long-term game before, but I noticed some serious tree issues as well.  15-30 days in there wasn't a single harvestable tree left on the map and for my entire first year or so I couldn't even get them to grow.  I hadn't managed to get my growing area walled in and the random alphabeaver spawn, then the wandering thrumbo, and the next wandering thrumbo, went straight for my poor cactus field the second they entered the map.

I'm a couple years in now and I'm growing my own behind walls without issue but I couldn't make anything that required wood for quite a while.

Sirsir

Melee
On the subject of melee - after 5.5 years of Cass, Hard(Switched to V-hard after ~day220, Arid Shrub, Flat, Year-round growing, tribal start, I'm at 25 colonists and ~250k wealth. Wasn't particularly interested in enviromental difficulty, just wanted to combat-test the hell out of melee.
Longswords
I'm pretty much of the opinion that Longswords can go suck an egg. In fact.. so can all the sharp weapons.
Longswords cost 2x as much to make as maces, take 3x longer to craft, and are worth ~2x as much. And you have to research them, blargh!
So what about damage and general performance? Well you're not getting what you pay for that's for sure.
A longsword might yield ~20% more raw dps compared to a mace but it comes with significant disadvantages.
Their armor penetration (While impressive in isolation) doesn't compare particularly well to Maces, It's ~2x as much AP on average compared to a Mace but due to the fact that most apparel has >x2 the sharp resistance that's not super impressive.
Power armor and Flak equipment are both particularly comparatively vulnerable to blunt damage which are the most dangerous and common armor types for raiders respectively.
More Longswords(Cor, I really do yammer on don't I?)
What about vs unarmoured targets? Surely vs tribals longsword's raw dps would be worthwhile? Well.. I tried that for about 2 years (Switching to swords when tribals appeared) and finally gave up and sold all my swords to reduce the wealth bloat.
Longswords do impressive damage per swing but.. they swing more slowly than maces, stun less often (Only 1/3 of their attacks do blunt damage) and often overkill whatever part they hit which wastes a lot of damage.

While I'm on the subject.. how does the game determine which melee attack it wants to use? It's not uncommon for pawns to punch even when they're armed.. and it's not clear how likely a weapon is to use any given attack. Are longswords inherently hampered by having a low damage blunt attack that still has the same attack frequency? I have no clue.

Stunning
Stunning is quite frankly incredibly powerful -though not particularly consistent- as often when meleeing enemies you're either outnumbered (Tribals/large sapper raids) or really don't want that target to swing its horrible death arms(Scythers, some sappers with plasteel weapon, bears, insects) so in most cases Maces are without a doubt the right call.

Power Claws
I can't find a use for Power claws on a melee focused pawn, as cool as they'd be :(. By and large if you have a good melee weapon replacing a hand with a Power Claw reduces the listed dps and since I don't know how often pawns are swinging with their hands instead of their weapons it's hard to put a value on. I know that Bionic/Archotech arms will yield bonuses in the melee department and won't penalize manipulation..
Basically they just feel rare, expensive, cool, but small penalties.
I question their overall usefulness on ranged pawns as well, I tried giving dedicated shooters claws in my last game and just got them to drop their weapons when engaged in melee which more or less worked but it was clunky and there's still that manipulation penalty weighing them down. Affecting hit chance of both melee and ranged fire as well as general work efficiency. "Why not use bionic arms?" was always the question.

I remember something from a long time ago about Gladius being better than longswords, that LS tended to overkill in the majority of situations, and Gladius had a better effective DPS due to its speed and lack of overkill. In short, Plasteel Gladius to kill, Wooden Mace to down. Its good to know that hasn't changed

Power claws I feel are for hybrid pawns. Give them a spray weapon, an AR or LMG, maybe even a minigun, and let them hold the door. If they make it to you, bring it. But truth be told they have always been bad to use because they make social fights lethal, and reduces a pawns manipulation.

dershamc903

My game stared on Boreal, Mountains w/River, Phoebe-Some Challenge

Physically the set up of the map was excellent as opponents could only enter the map from two map edges. I was set up in the top right corner, on the north side of the river. Then below the river was a nice marsh area, perfect for slowing down an attacking enemy and taking the take to snipe them out. Raid wise I never faced anything too challenging, but the heavy turret did one-shot a scyther, which kind of blew my mind.

I remember reading a comment about someone having difficulty finding Uranium. First deep drill I laid down was right on top of Uranium and I ended up having 2500+, which is more uranium than I've ever had in any game. Then my 4th deep drill plot was Plasteel, also miraculous. Suffice to say I was able to make a lot of Power Armour. Steel ended up being the hardest resource to keep on top of until I eventually found some with the deep drill on my 5th deployment of it. 2 and 3 were Chemfuel for those paying attention.

My colony grew steadily over the three years that I was there. We researched all the tech with little difficulty. My population was about 12 people and 20 or so animals 1/3 dogs and 2/3 muffalos. Food seemed to be the primary issue for me. I would have six 14 x 14 growing plots for growing food, mostly rice as that had the fastest turn around. I also had two hydroponics rooms with 12 hydroponic banks. By mid winter we'd be out of food. I probably should've grown hay too, but my pawns had the hardest time keeping up with the sowing demands with what I had. I did use a multi-meal cook mod, but ultimately keeping up with the cooking wasn't the issue I had but keeping up with the growing requirements. Winters were pretty long too as they sometime were mid Apri-May before temperatures dipped out of freezing.

So I decided it was time to get out of dodge. We picked up everything of decent value to weight issue and headed south. With my population though and my entire freezer we still only had food for 6 days and this was with 3000+ pemmican, so clearly I needed to store way more food than I thought I did. Still I had my guys pack up. We headed south for warmer climates.

I traded with two guys. Then raided one camp that went pretty well. Then raided another camp along the way and that went terrible. Lost two guys, thankfully no one important so I just accepted it. Not much extra loot in these camps though, didn't these base's usually have a store room for loot? They at least had fields that I could harvest for food so I did that. Dismantled their tech then continued south. Still couldn't get very far, even sold a few animals at the next trading post, but food consumption was just too high. Eventually I had to settle for a camp on the road. Thankfully lots of wild muffalos for me to hunt to extinction. It was a Temperate zone, but out in the open, still surprising amount of iron available. There were four mining sections of it. It was still winter there, but as Apri-May is coming along the temperatures are starting to increase faster than in my old location so I'll farm and harvest and make as much as pemmican as I can before continuing, hopefully getting south enough to avoid the snow.

erdrik

Quote from: Marstannum on July 05, 2018, 11:30:43 AM

My current game (Phoebe Medium, Arid Shrub, mountainous, river, coastal) is my first time playing in Arid Shrubland, as I am a total noob who has only played one long-term game before, but I noticed some serious tree issues as well.  15-30 days in there wasn't a single harvestable tree left on the map and for my entire first year or so I couldn't even get them to grow.  I hadn't managed to get my growing area walled in and the random alphabeaver spawn, then the wandering thrumbo, and the next wandering thrumbo, went straight for my poor cactus field the second they entered the map.

I'm a couple years in now and I'm growing my own behind walls without issue but I couldn't make anything that required wood for quite a while.

Im noticing poor wild plantlife growth in general, but it might just be the specific map Im on.
It is a temperate forest tile, but the east and west side are top to bottom uninterrupted deepwater on one side and mountains on the other. There is only a strip of soil down the middle about 50 to 80 tiles wide where plants can even grow. After the first year(Im now on year 3), the wild animal population has been charging across the map whenever ANY plant become available and devours it immediately. And only just this year did 5 new trees appear.

I feel like, if it doesn't already, the game needs to track how many soil tiles there are, how many of those tiles have mature plantlife and scale the animal wild life based on that. Because on my map there are WAY too many animals for the amount of plantlife currently available(maybe even if it were at max growth).

Sirsir

Quote from: dershamc903 on July 05, 2018, 12:20:28 PM
My game stared on Boreal, Mountains w/River, Phoebe-Some Challenge

My colony grew steadily over the three years that I was there. We researched all the tech with little difficulty. My population was about 12 people and 20 or so animals 1/3 dogs and 2/3 muffalos. Food seemed to be the primary issue for me. I would have six 14 x 14 growing plots for growing food, mostly rice as that had the fastest turn around. I also had two hydroponics rooms with 12 hydroponic banks. By mid winter we'd be out of food. I probably should've grown hay too, but my pawns had the hardest time keeping up with the sowing demands with what I had. I did use a multi-meal cook mod, but ultimately keeping up with the cooking wasn't the issue I had but keeping up with the growing requirements. Winters were pretty long too as they sometime were mid Apri-May before temperatures dipped out of freezing.

So I decided it was time to get out of dodge. We picked up everything of decent value to weight issue and headed south. With my population though and my entire freezer we still only had food for 6 days and this was with 3000+ pemmican, so clearly I needed to store way more food than I thought I did. Still I had my guys pack up. We headed south for warmer climates.

I traded with two guys. Then raided one camp that went pretty well. Then raided another camp along the way and that went terrible. Lost two guys, thankfully no one important so I just accepted it. Not much extra loot in these camps though, didn't these base's usually have a store room for loot? They at least had fields that I could harvest for food so I did that. Dismantled their tech then continued south. Still couldn't get very far, even sold a few animals at the next trading post, but food consumption was just too high. Eventually I had to settle for a camp on the road. Thankfully lots of wild muffalos for me to hunt to extinction. It was a Temperate zone, but out in the open, still surprising amount of iron available. There were four mining sections of it. It was still winter there, but as Apri-May is coming along the temperatures are starting to increase faster than in my old location so I'll farm and harvest and make as much as pemmican as I can before continuing, hopefully getting south enough to avoid the snow.

Rice got hit by the sowing nerf the hardest. IIRC Corn is the best plant to grow in non-gravel soil for the purpose of yield (assuming grow time is more than 20 days). Potatoes in gravel and Rice in hydro.

Also you can make a second location when your populations begins to outgrow food supply. You don't have to move EVERYONE. And drop pods are amazing for travel if you get enough of them.

As for wild growth I wish they would spawn from predetermined areas throughout the map, like hives, rather than just creeping in from the edges

Syrchalis

Having played on boreal forest with a few muffalos I noticed how much they eat. I had maybe 1000 rice and it was gone pretty fast. Thankfully I had like 5000 meat and I kept making simple meals and feeding those to the muffalos. This easily lasted through the winter.

Thing really is that you can't have many animals if you don't have good growing periods, especially larger animals. Wool has gotten incredibly bad IMO, so it's not worth it anyway. Really just combat animals, boomalopes and cows are good in my opinion. Muffalos make an acceptable alternative to cows, but they aren't as good anymore. Main reason to have them is for caravans since cows don't carry stuff.

Also since I'm already at it:
Please Tynan, I played three games now and what happened to wool? Leather has become incredibly strong (especially heavy fur) while wool is almost as bad as cloth. I feel like taming animals and then waiting for 15-30 days (60 for megasloths who are super hard to tame) is way way harder than hunting a few deers - or megasloths.

Hunting megasloths has become the absolute dominant tactic for me. It's super easy, low risk, incredible reward. You get tons of meat, enough to even feed your muffalos through the winter (see story above) and you get the 2nd best leather in the game too, just after thrumbofur. I'm not saying nerf this tactic, but instead maybe make wool better again. I think the approach of leather giving better protection and wool better isolation was great. Maybe give wool a fat offset/bonus? Storytime again:

One mod I use a lot (in B18) is housekeeper cat (easy to tame animal that cleans/hauls nearly all the time, much better than dogs/wolves) - they also give 25 wool after some time. Their wool has not the greatest stats but a massive +15.0°C offset to heat and cold. Making tuques out of this wool basically handles all non-extreme climates and you can worry about other things. But it's not trivial because it takes a while to get the wool since they give only 25. Buying it is also hard since it's very expensive.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

bbqftw

Following comments come from a mix of NB/crashlanded runs on cassandra/extreme in friendly biome (temp forest mostly) -

* Ancient dangers - my favorite part of 1.0 - I have probably cracked upwards of 30 of these in my runs. The loot tables are very spicy (much better than the only lance / soothe / luciferium you would typically see in old ancient dangers) - I was particularly amused at the flatscreen TV in one - mechs need their entertainment after all. The chance of hostiles in ancient dangers is also highly increased compare to B18, which I think is overall a good thing. Some list of combat scenarios - distracting lone centipede to rescue occupants, getting chased by yayo'd / gojuice triple hostile spacer, insane threeway fights between mech / spacer / my guys, etc. etc. Overall, I think that ADs nicely fulfill the 'high risk high reward' aspect much better than their B18 counterparts.

* Early game events (month 1 / early month 2) - in multiple games I got combination of overlapping psychic drone / heatwave. I am not sure whether this is the new norm for extreme (it was fairly rare in b18 for double bad event to strike so early), or I was just unlucky. I think the heatwave is fine - crashlanded is punished for prioritizing refrigeration instead of rushing tailoring ASAP, NB has 'some' counterplay. The addition of passive cooler to starting tech tree is very nice and means that on wood-available biome it should never alone be terminal. It should be noted that insulation values overall are nerfed compared to B18, so temperature spike events are more challenging to face early and result in greater productivity hit.

However, after multiple times dealing with drone event in month 1, I am hesitant to say that the intensification of psychic drone from a -15 (B18) to a -24 (1.0) hit against a psychically neutral pawn is a good thing. And this goes to design principle - my interpretation is that sitting in major/extreme risk for day+ period of time is intended to be near game losing if it happens early game, or pawn losing if it happens mid-late. You normally have to mismanage enormously to consistently hit this range.  Yet for a week 1/2 crashlanded start (and especially for NB) this is near inevitable effect of getting hit by a -24, effective turning minor break fluctuations into extreme break fluctuation. You simply do not have the tools - drugs, psychic foil, impressive rooms - to play around it this early (well for the latter, there is a way, but you explicitly called it an exploit in one of the changelogs :D). By the way, psychically hypersensitive is hit for -43 mood malus.

Here is the realistic counterplay I came up with to this event when it strikes so early - cryocasket, caravan off the map, chain anesthetize affected pawns so they cannot break. I am not sure that these are the play patterns you are hoping to promote, and all of them subject you to incredibly RNG when done early game, but I am here to find solutions, not immersive solutions.

This makes me wonder whether the severity of bad events like heatwave / coldsnap / psychic drone could ramp up over the course of a game (thinking maybe .8x-1.2x range, though of course just spitballing here). Otherwise their effect is only felt early (and for psychic drone, felt so hard that it is completely uninteresting to deal with), yet nonfactors mid-lategame.

* Early raid composition is spiced up a bit - In particular there was a molotov raid as early as day 9, which I did not play very well against and was justly punished by a vast increase in firefighting time. Molotov in particular punishes passive defensive style against woody bases, so I rate this a good thing for incentivizing risk-averse player like me to switch it up. Might consider using more tools that punish passive playstyle more for raid design.

* Pawn variance. Tynan - it is clear you want to emphasize the pawn game events where you cannot see their traits/stats with your design changes, with heightened raider death roll and increased incap refugee events. I will point out that these pawns, on average, are awful if generated from typical crashlanded pool. At least from extreme perspective, the split is about 5% good pawns, 15% decent pawns, ~30% marginal ones (you wouldn't go out of your way to recruit them, but you wouldn't feel too bad getting them for discount - e.g. through rescue/join), and 50% pawns that are negative utility (if there was a button to annihilate them from your colony with zero cost, I would gladly pick it). Meanwhile, the tribal slate is a lot better, with far less incapables and multi-addict monstrosities.

You may not view this as a bad thing, as perhaps storytelling potential is heightened with bad pawns. But to me, there is very little storytelling aspect of figuring out the lowest cost way to get rid of terrible pawns that actively harm you the longer you keep them on. Its hard to calibrate, but I think the game would benefit from more marginal pawns, and less negative utility pawns. (From perspective of extreme year 1 - slothful, pyro, chem fasc, chem interest, gourmand, depressive, any non-ambrosia addict is negative utility almost regardless of whatever traits / skills they may bring. Slothful maybe being an exception if dumb labor capable. And that's just the 'instantly useless' category, there are many more permutations of bad trait/incap monstrosities).

In fact, I wouldn't mind if "straight up good" traits were nerfed, "straight up awful" traits severity was decreased, and most traits had reasonable tradeoffs that were gamestate dependent (neurotic I think is a good example of this, and the shooter traits).

The 'guaranteed mental break' traits (its true you can avoid chemint/chemfasc with no drugs on map, but drugs are such a powerful mood controller that the existence of one chem int does massive indirect damage to the rest of the colony by making it go drug-free) are another matter. Frankly, '5% chance per month of being 1 shooter down during raid / X% chance to attempt to suicide to raid / X% chance to actively harm your colony during raid + assorted guaranteed productivity hits' means that you'd practically need to have a pawn rolling top 1% percentile in every other aspect to consider taking one on.

(I am a little bit salty about a month 1 refugee chased that was the mother of one of my colonists, so I presumed I would get mood hit from rejecting - is that actually true? Anyways, turned out to be go juice addict - that is 50 meals worth of guaranteed zero or negative utility if I try to fight the addiction, so it is just a nonstarter early game - even if I cryo her, this still counts against my population cap, and thus indirectly harms my chances of getting non-negative utility pawns in the future. This was the equivalent to getting triple disaster and 1+1+1.5 raids within the first 13 days of the game. I would argue that this refugee chased event was probably the most punitive event I have ever gotten in this game, moreso than stuff like day 2 heatwave on tribal/extr)

* Overall difficulty - almost every aspect compared to B18 is harder. More intelligent raids, mood management tools are weaker, the recreation changes forcing productivity hit, addition of more autoreject level traits. I will say that I feel the lack of certain QoL mods, and early game feels very burdensome for extreme as I feel forced to micromanage every aspect of their days in month 1 so as to not be behind the curve. When I see a pawn hauling 3/25 steel to a door, I must manually guide him to the correct amount, otherwise he just wasted 10% of his productive hours in the day on doing 2 hauls when 1 would suffice. I must constantly switch around restrict hours just to minimize their walking time, and this is with a relatively compact base - problems accentuate with your envisioned larger base, with every pawn travel time inefficiency being magnified.

I am not sure how to solve this problem, to be honest. But doing these actions x100 is easily one of the most soul draining parts of playing.

Tynan

Build is up!

----

Fixed a bunch of issues with doors.
Fix: Sappers never flee.
Fix 3502: ArgumentOutOfRangeException on CaravanRestUtility after trading with Caravan Meeting
Changed gift goodwill impact so the better the current relations the smaller the impact.
New conduit art and power grid overlay art.
Fix: Randy description appears in a scroll box.
Added sniper turret. Normalize naming of some turret-related assets.
Ambush site part threat points now scale with the player colony's strength.
Remove unused duplicate sounds.
Downed refugees can no longer spawn with bleeding wounds (so they don't die while the player is trying to rescue them).
Simplified rules for trap springing. They now never spring on you or allies, and always spring on anyone else. Deadfall traps can now catch wild animals.
Adjusted door closing speed, door health, door heat transfer rate.
Hives can now appear in >= 2 cells areas (instead of 16). Insects will now dig faster in smaller rooms.
Hyperweave is now a possible quest reward. Increased prevalence of power armor and plate armor as a quest rewards.
Bedrolls no longer require research. Because seriously, it's a bag.
Rename pekoe -> tea.
Predators no longer hunt humanlikes.
Food poisoning chance from filth now has a threshold so just a couple bits of dirt won't cause poisoning. Reduces the need for obsessive cleaning micro.
Adjusted outdoors need speeds.
Speed up some wild plant regrow times.
Wind turbine now requires heavy terrain affordance.
Rearrange and rename some plant-related code to cleanly separate fall colors system from PlantUtility.
Comfort need is no longer frozen for caravan members since now it's possible to gain it by using bedrolls.
Fix: Grammar errors in generated text involving animals (indefinite -> definite case).
Infestation letter now points at all hive clusters, not just one. (ship part crash letter too)
Added "Be carried if sick" toggle.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

LordCrow

i just had i pawn who had the mental break "gave up", when she tried to walk to the edge of the map to leave the colony, i attack her with some other pawns then i could rescue her and after she was healed she goes back to work as any other pawn, like "guys i was jocking, i'm back to work".
In this case for me it make more sense if the pawn become like a "visitor" something similar to when a pawn become a wildman so you lose it and you need to recapture and re-recruit it to bring it back to the colony

taviandir

Hey I dont know if this is a bug or not, but this has happened several times now.

My pawn has lapsed into a "Minor Mental Break" several times now while having max or near-max mood status (she's a Pyromaniac). See attached image.

[attachment deleted due to age]