Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greep

Quote from: Tynan on July 05, 2018, 01:40:23 PM

Fix: Sappers never flee.

Hives can now appear in >= 2 cells areas (instead of 16). Insects will now dig faster in smaller rooms.

Insane tribal sapper raids, you were short lived but will always be remembered.  with horror

As a coincidence I was just about to start a mountain game, so that hive change is going to change  lot o.o  And bring a whole new meaning to bed bugs in rimworld.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Serenity

Quote from: Syrchalis on July 05, 2018, 01:25:22 PM
what happened to wool? Leather has become incredibly strong (especially heavy fur) while wool is almost as bad as cloth.
Agreed. Wool was a bit OP before (at least in very hot or cold biomes where all you needed was a wool jacket), but it was one of the few things that encouraged you to keep animals. Sure tone it down a bit, but not this far

Grimelord82

Dangit, my original picture was too large, so my long post got deleted with it. :(

Cassandra Rough | Boreal 20/60 | River + Dirt Road | Mountainous

Welcome to Secret River, home of the Northwestern Notswaba faction on the world of cards (30%)

1) I've managed 3-4 Muffallows + calves by growing rice under Sunlamp on standard soil. 50 rice spots per muffalow + kibble for treats/training keeps them from starving (3 years and going so far). Wool IS nerfed a bit, but it's also the only thing to make tuques/sock-hats from.
2) Food in general is a huge issue. I'm finally comfortable and making surplus for caravans with 250 corn spots for 13 colonists + hunting everything bigger than rats all year around. 100 hay spots for kibble. I had 4000+ meat worth of megatherium knock down my doors this winter. Butchers are sharpening their knives in antici...pation.
I also have a pack of 5 huskies + pups, the same in Wargs, and a couple bears. Bears are OP. Richard the Raid Destroying bear, R.I.P. Bears and Huskies seem to eat whatever is in front of them when they get hungry.
3) 150 herbal medicine summer field + 60 spot rotating medicine/beer/psychoid field is STILL not adequate for medicine/recreation.
4) I would have literally no steel due to power requirements without using Bulk Cooking and Dub's Skylights. I only have 800 as is, and it's always in flux from making more flak armors/guns/filling caravan requests. I have literally no turrets.
5) I haven't raided any bandit camps yet. Maybe after winter.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Numar

I haven't really played 1.0 yet (I simply can't without my favorite pawns from EDB Prepare Carefully *looking angrily at Tynan for not having included that functionality as vanilla*), but my problem with raids so far was that they simply appear out of nowhere and either you're prepared for them or not. If they have arrived you almost don't have time to prepare anything most of the times, sieges being the exception. That really feels like an rng element to me, if you survive or not.

In the beginning of a game surprise raids totally make sense (colony not really established yet, raids quite weak etc.), but later on I'd like to have some kind of warning in advance.

A simple approach my be to get a warning letter one day before they arrive. Maybe even from which direction they'll come (a huge factor imho).

For a more complex approach with game systems, these can include building of watch towers, either on your colony map or on the world map. Those watch tower will warn you from incoming raids, so you can prepare better for mid- and late-game raids.

Madman666

> Fix: Sappers never flee.

Thanks. It was way too scary to have tribal hordes dig to you and don't run home, when you slaugther over a half of them.

> Ambush site part threat points now scale with the player colony's strength.

Can you elaborate a bit? We all know how colony wealth is calculated, but what is colony strength? Just the amount of people, armors, weapons? Does it mean if you have like 20 people going, sending small squads of 3-4 people to quests sites is no longer viable, since it'll be a suicide mission?

> Simplified rules for trap springing. They now never spring on you or allies, and always spring on anyone else. Deadfall traps can now catch wild animals.

Thats real nice. As people said - no more checkered pattern tile hopping. Cool.

> Rename pekoe -> tea.

Coolest change ever! Sersiously.

> Speed up some wild plant regrow times.

This was badly needed. I also hope you will increase overall thickness of both grass and trees, its really ridiculous how temperate forests looked half dead plains.

> Predators no longer hunt humanlikes.

I am conflicted about this one. On one hand i just hated how you could easily lose a pawn at any given moment, without being able to do anything, because colonist's hand to hand fighting skills suck. On the other hand i liked it for added challenge when you could still point-blank shoot the wolves and other hunting animals - that was a decent chance of survival.

> Bedrolls

I really like bedroll changes! The more preparation means you have for caravaneering to make it easier if you just take your time preparing - the more worth it is to actually go out anywhere and not die horribly.

Numar

And another approach for destroying and repairing:
Maybe heavy structures shouldn't be fully destroyable by bullets, but only by grenades and rockets or similiar. Let's say you can grind down heavy structures by bullets down to ~5% of their health and then they cease their function until repaired (that may already be the case with higher %). To fully destroy them, you need explosive stuff.

Oblitus

Sniper my ass. It took 20 (twenty) shots out of 40 shot durability to take down a single pirate.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Madman666

Wow, yeah with accuracy like that without enemy even having a bush for cover - there s nothing sniper about that thingy.

Oblitus

Quote from: Madman666 on July 05, 2018, 02:17:53 PM
Wow, yeah with accuracy like that without enemy even having a bush for cover - there s nothing sniper about that thingy.
Not only accuracy. It took 4 (four) shots to take that pirate down, including one headshot, and headshot was not even the last one.

ison

Quote from: Madman666 on July 05, 2018, 02:04:05 PM
Can you elaborate a bit? We all know how colony wealth is calculated, but what is colony strength? Just the amount of people, armors, weapons? Does it mean if you have like 20 people going, sending small squads of 3-4 people to quests sites is no longer viable, since it'll be a suicide mission?

Colony strength means colony wealth (kind of, it also looks at how many colonists you have), the same value we use for raids. There's a special factor for site parts of course, so they're not as strong as normal raids, but they now scale with colony strength. To balance this all site parts are now known to the player, including the number of enemies. The only exception are hidden ambushes, so sending small squads can be risky.

TheMeInTeam

^ You might want to tighten the proc range on ambushes, right now after some trial and error it's possible to flee from ambushes with a 1 man squad pretty consistently if you get your spacing right, and my impression is that this is not intended to be risk-free for one person.

East

Fix: Sappers never flee.

Was it a bug? I thought it was the intended difficulty. Good fix.

PatrykSzczescie

There's a graphical problem when you build power sources next to each other and see their energy conduits. It has been an issue since the previous version.

About deadfall traps never springing on you or allies: new meta for bases guys! in case you have tons of steel to spend.

I wonder if IEDs work similarly. Maybe explosives need a strategy, but EMP ones will counter mechanoids for sure.

And predators are passive now. Once there are no animals they could hunt for, they'll stand there until a new proper animal spawns. And when you attack them, they don't go manhunter for 100% chance anymore. They'll fight back until you flee, then they'll leave you alone. I wish this was a thing only in peaceful difficulty.

Serina

Build is up!

----

Predators no longer hunt humanlikes.

:( I've had multiple colonists die to predators in my past saves but I actually liked that because it meant I had to pay better attention to the wild animals around the area. The addition of the wild life tab allowed me to quickly check and aggressively hunt everything on the map excluding the hares. I'm a bit sad that predators no longer hunt humans since I personally enjoyed that part of the game.

Zombull

Any chance you could remove the skill check on dead fall traps? It's a stick propping up a heavy thing. Not exactly a complex mechanism.

I occasionally like to do a blind NB start. The game often rewards my foolishness with a nonviolent pawn with zero construction. Would be nice if I could skip the panicky constructing of random stuff for three construction levels just to be able to set up some traps.