Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scavenger

I'm all for ultra dense shrubbery and critters!!! :D More the merrier. Till they eat each other.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Zombull on July 06, 2018, 03:46:19 AM
Shouldn't flak armor be better than plate armor given it's farther up the tech tree and is much more expensive to make?

First : the overview calculates all clothing items, you should remove the non-armor shirt and pants,
especially the devilstrand clothes add a lot of piercing armor.

Second : Flak Armor is produced against modern weaponry, which means higher armor agains piercing damage ( bullets ) and less against blunt and cuts ( melee ).

Third : Quality has a huge impact on the defense values. so you should also compare armors of the same quality to be sure.

Story Time :

My Tribe is coming along pretty well, and I am happy that there are lot less limbs lost.
Scars are no longer as disabling as the have been and are now adding to the characters story.

Andw hat I really like is the description added to wounds.
"The centipede hit Kyle with a minigun bullet intended for Willem".
Now if those little story gems where attached to the scars, as a reminder what happened to the pawn it would be genius.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: PurpleTonberry on July 06, 2018, 02:37:31 AM
Tynan, I've been noticing in your changelogs that you have been trying to eliminate unnecessary micromanagement as much as possible. Thank you for that, by the way, a lot of the changes have been good QoL changes. There's been one small thing that has bothered me through many, many updates to this game though, more-so now that the negatives are more severe than ever: Cabin Fever.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with the existence of cabin fever and its severity, but I never understood why pawns suffering from it don't just take a walk outside in an unroofed area. I'm not keeping them locked up like rats, nor are they restricted to any particular area. In particular, I think that on their next joy activity, they should just prioritize taking a walk outside or stargazing/cloudwatching/sunwatching/etc if they suffer too severely from a lack of going outside (if area restrictions allow, of course).

I've attached a screenshot of a colony I just started a couple hours ago. The debuff doesn't make much sense, but that's not really what I'm going for here (even if the Trapped Underground thing is a bug). I'm not keeping the pawns locked up under a roof (don't let the toxic fallout fool you, they're still set to Unrestricted access to the map) and they have 5 hours a day of dedicated joy time, so just.... go outside! I don't think in this kind of situation that I should have to draft pawns and drag them outside to stand around and do nothing so they can not be under a roof for a few hours when they are perfectly capable of that on their own accord.

I just build a "plaza/park" between their bedroom and the most frequent spot someone stays most of the day.

Sirinox

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on July 06, 2018, 06:38:37 AM
I just build a "plaza/park" between their bedroom and the most frequent spot someone stays most of the day.

As an option spacious rec room possibly with unroofed part or outdoors cinema work just fine.

ashaffee

I also love the rarity of legendary items. It definitely feels much more cool to have them. Only issue is they aren't worth the colony wealth.

Things that could make them worth it without worrying about balance issues is a small mood boost to the user. Also a different artwork/animation color would convince people to do the quest for them more often.

Of course they could use a buff but I bet that would require much more time to figure out.

They could also have special effects. Like faster charge up. Increased distance. Or increasing stun/Dodge rating for melee.

Bones

Quote from: ashaffee on July 06, 2018, 08:13:03 AMThings that could make them worth it without worrying about balance issues is a small mood boost to the user. Also a different artwork/animation color would convince people to do the quest for them more often.

I like this idea!

vzoxz0

Storytime:
My kind and lovely doctor had just arrested a man for slaughtering her bonded alpaca. This would be rough by itself, if it wasn't for her sudden and irrational desire to then take the human-flavoured kibble out of her pocket, and munch down on it as if it were cheerios or cap'n crunch. Shortly after, she plunged into a deep catatonic state.

Having named a colonist Cassandra and setting her title to "Terrible Storyteller", I was less than surprised when raiders attacked me moments later to take full advantage of the situation. I can only assume that my colonists made tasty blood sausage.

Hi. I'm new to the forum. Not new to the game, but watching me play, you really can't tell.

Despite my lack of qualifications, I still have the audacity to ask if there is any chance what so ever that a "food policy" will be added, as that would really bake my cake, so to speak.

It seems peculiar to me that it is possible to micro-manage clothes and drugs, but something as essential as food has been left out.

I, personally, have no problem eating human kibble, and don't know what all the fuss is about, but apparently these fancy pants colonists of mine disapprove. And I can't seem to find a way to cure them of their irrational desire to eat something they hate as long as I use a nutrient dispenser.

I think a lot of people would appreciate this feature, as it would enable more playstyles, and dealing with otherwise sucky colonists in a sensible way (bribing them with drugs and food is a decent and fair strategy).

On a more related note, I have been enjoying a lot of the new features in 1.0. I am not a huge fan of tameness, since it requires me to constantly feed animals (taking up incredible amounts of time) -- perhaps adjust the intervals required for that with difficulty?

I found a weird bug when I sent a caravan with one colonist out with a pack animal. At night, I get "caravan immobilized" or whatever, due to the colonist's capacity being removed from the party when he sleeps.

Sirinox

Some small animal (probably a rat, but I didn't notice it in time) activated my incendiary IED. If it wasn't accidental it doesn't worth spending components to hunt small game.
There goes my outer mine fields tactically spread along the map, I guess.

Syrchalis

When you generate a world and the ocean is named in huge letters:

I'm dying.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

vzoxz0

I didn't even know this was implemented. That is amazing.

I also want to point out that I don't blame Wade for his decision, it was probably the wisest thing he had done in his entire life. Drug addled medieval lord as he was. Cannibalism is perhaps pushing it a little bit.

Alenerel

Predator attacks are more an annoyance than anything else. I think they should have wild animals as high priority, then if there are none, go for your animals, then if there are none, go for your pawns.

But if there are plenty of wild animals, leave us alone. As I said, they add nothing, just a random inevitable attack that you couldnt see until it was too late. And even if we had a warning, it would be a hassle to draft 2-3 pawns to kill it.

However, if we talk about a bear, it might still make sense... Just make sure that at least foxes, wolves and wargs at least attack us and our animals the last. I dont mind drafting 2-3 pawns to defend ourselves from a bear sometimes, but a fox every day... No.

Oblitus

Quote from: vzoxz0 on July 06, 2018, 09:07:01 AM
It seems peculiar to me that it is possible to micro-manage clothes and drugs, but something as essential as food has been left out.

I, personally, have no problem eating human kibble, and don't know what all the fuss is about, but apparently these fancy pants colonists of mine disapprove. And I can't seem to find a way to cure them of their irrational desire to eat something they hate as long as I use a nutrient dispenser.
You've described WM Smarter Food Selection mod. I don't think it would be implemented. It makes this game way too good, especially part that manages animal food.

Several exotic traders had hyperweave in stock. Exactly one piece of it.

Trading caravans tend to hang around some geothermal near map edge or a trap set on some narrow tunnel invaders usually come through.

Had a wild man event. Her mood modifiers (not tamed):
- Ate without table
- Slept outside
- Slept on ground
- Naked
- Ate corpse
Kinda high demands for a wild.

vzoxz0

Quote from: Oblitus on July 06, 2018, 10:09:22 AM
You've described WM Smarter Food Selection mod. I don't think it would be implemented. It makes this game way too good, especially part that manages animal food.

I don't think making a game too good is a valid reason not to put something in. :P

Polder

Quick play report:

NB extreme Phoebe flat arid biome. Died after a few weeks due to a combination of hot weather, heat wave, cooking skill 1 and 2 on both colonists, one colonist having an addiction. Very frequent food poisoning made it hard to get food and wood for the stove and cooler. This was a slow death over a week or so.

Lanilor

Quote from: vzoxz0 on July 06, 2018, 10:38:18 AM
Quote from: Oblitus on July 06, 2018, 10:09:22 AM

I don't think making a game too good is a valid reason not to put something in. :P

I would just like too have the same settings as choosing medicine for a pawn, just for food. So I can set animals to "raw only", prisoners to "simple meals" and colonists to "everything".

Another thing I noticed after the door speed change:
It is very useful for my freezer. Colonists open the door, walk in to get food from right next to the door and leave while the door is still open. Feels very good and reduces the need for autodoors early. Besides that I could still door cheese a thrumbo, I just had to walk in a bit earlier. How about changing doors so that to repair a door, the door needs to be open. That way would also make durable doors more useful, since I can still run inside and flee from weaker animals that can't break the door in their time attacking it, while this doesn't work against stronger enemies.
It's weird that I can just repair a wood door while a thumbo hammers a bit against it and then he walks away without me having any problems. (You could also just deactivate heat transfer while a door is getting repaired if someone thinks that is a problem.)

I also just finished a caravan request where I got 2 vanometrics for a few dusters. Not sure if I already wrote that, but while I like the requests in general, this just seems a bit too good. maybe it's just a feeling for this specific game, since it solved all my power problems at once that otherwise needes research, mining resources, getting new places to build and build the generators. But yeah, constant 2400 w power on any 2 1x2 cell space I want for 500 leather/cloth is a trade I would always take.

Edit:
I wanted to add a quick suggestion: Windows are nothing new, but they would fit nicely into the new outdoor need system. So if a pawn is indoor but near a window to the outside (and unroofed) his outdoor desire grows slower. On the other hand, if he is deep under a mountain with no windows, his urge to get out grows way faster.
And I also like the idea someone posted earlier, that colonists should choose outdoor recreation more likely if the feel trapped indoor. Although that would need a counterpart for the then missing "impressive recreation room" mood buff. Maybe a small "outdoor recreation in a beautiful area" mood effect.