Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Wiz

Regarding the density of vegetation (or lack thereof), would it make sense for that to be another map variable? Like hilliness, but for trees and plants instead of rocks. It could be neat to have different environmental options not strictly related to temperature.

It might even be cool to have "forests" generate at the world map level like mountains do. So for instance, a whole swath of the world could be tropical, but only certain areas of it would be true rainforests, while the rest have vegetation similar to current "tropical rainforest" levels, and some even less than that.

Just throwing stuff out there, but something like this seems like it might help solve the problems people are seeing with not having enough trees, grass, etc. and also provide even more varied environments to play in.

Zombull

On the economic balancing front, one thing I've noticed is every successful colony invariably gets rich from selling stockpiles of leather. It's basically piles of free silver as a reward for big game hunting. It might be a good idea to make players work a little harder for it. Produce perishable, low-value "skins" instead of leather when butchering. Add a tanning job to turn it into the non-perishable leather that can be used for crafted or sold for profit.

Greep

Well really all forts after a while become rich: hunting, crops, drilling, mechanoids.  I think it's intended, some of the higher end goods are crazy expensive like arcotech bionics
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Jstank

" They kill a pawn more surely than raiders, with much less warning."   <----------- This is why it needs a raid level notification. Big red envelope pause game. So you can react to it.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Mehni

A base with a perimeter wall and an entrance lines with traps gathers a lot of dead animals for free.

Just the presence of food (mature crops or dropped meal) inside the perimeter is enough to lure most animals in and they'll meet their doom on the traps. Extra points if they're boomalopes and destroy your traps.

At first the extra meat and leather was nice, but now it's a really awkward situation and an annoyance.

Greep

Quote from: Jstank on July 06, 2018, 03:34:39 PM
" They kill a pawn more surely than raiders, with much less warning."   <----------- This is why it needs a raid level notification. Big red envelope pause game. So you can react to it.

Most times if you're just reacting it's already too late from my experience as the pawn is isolated and the animal is faster.  There's is literally nothing you can do apart from prevention, or maybe burning psychic shock lances on predators since they have infinite range.  Kind of extreme in my opinion.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Madman666

Imo animals shouldn't have x-ray vision spotting food through your walls from other corner of the map in the first place. And removing that will eliminate the problem with them always getting caught on traps.

Oblitus

Got a space refugee already affiliated with rough outlander union. Kinda strange.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Alenerel on July 06, 2018, 09:41:13 AM
Predator attacks are more an annoyance than anything else. I think they should have wild animals as high priority, then if there are none, go for your animals, then if there are none, go for your pawns.

But if there are plenty of wild animals, leave us alone. As I said, they add nothing, just a random inevitable attack that you couldnt see until it was too late. And even if we had a warning, it would be a hassle to draft 2-3 pawns to kill it.

However, if we talk about a bear, it might still make sense... Just make sure that at least foxes, wolves and wargs at least attack us and our animals the last. I dont mind drafting 2-3 pawns to defend ourselves from a bear sometimes, but a fox every day... No.

Totally agree with all of that!

WRT traps affecting/not affecting animals/neutrals/friendlies, would it be possible to implement a weight limit on whether they're triggered? So things higher than (say) fox body weight will set them off, but rats, squirrels & rabbits won't? Or at least a chance to do similar, increasing with bodyweight (I'm ignoring sentients & their pets here: if friendly/neutral they know where the trap's trigger is & so can avoid it & lead their pets around it safely)

Of course, a separate baited 'hunting trap' (as opposed to defence trap) design would be excellent too, but the above deals with the major discrepancies without introducing a new item..
Dom 8-)

EdgarDruin

Quote from: vzoxz0 on July 06, 2018, 03:09:32 PM
QuoteThere is also an option to click on a job name in work tab to sort them by skill level.

Skill level isn't, and never has been, very representative of actual work performance. It's very tedious looking at all the stats constantly to figure out who's best at what.

Ah, this is very true, after I figure out who's technically the most skilled at something, I have to sort through the health tabs to see all of the debuffs applied ... nothing like thinking your 12 artist is really the best for crafting statues to appease your jealous pawn when in actuality, her bad back and brain injury really make her next to useless.  It should be fairly easy to calculate effective scores and show them in a tabular manner that doesn't take a dozen clicks or hovering over 30 boxes to figure it all out.

I mean, I still keep doing it and eventually picking the right numbers for break points on crafting and who I really want to do what, but it's tedious.

vzoxz0

There are mods that do this, but there is no real reason it shouldn't be in the base game (many features that used to be mods, are now in the base game).

EdgarDruin

Quote from: vzoxz0 on July 06, 2018, 04:05:21 PM
There are mods that do this, but there is no real reason it shouldn't be in the base game (many features that used to be mods, are now in the base game).

I avoid mods in most games I play.  I end up with conflicts, patches don't work as expected and some feel more like cheating than a simple efficiency mod ... that way madness lies; let me shun that.

It seems to be more of a thing for RimWorld though ... missing in the base game?  There's a mod for that.

Mihsan

Made new tribe with 1.0.1956. Flat area, tropical swamp with river. Extra hard Randy.

Wanted to grow cocoa trees. They suck. It takes too much time to plant them and result is unsatisfactory given growth time and used space.

Love how bridges work on such kind of map. It gives flexibility to build almost anywhere, but still it has huge price behind it even with ~infinite ammounts of wood around.

What's up with giant overpowered raids against my tribal colonies? All the time the same story: steady stream of weak raids and then suddenly this giant thing with doomsday launchers, power armor and miniguns... It looks off. Is this because I crafted that legendary wooden plate armor and masterwork marble table?

[attachment deleted due to age]
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Oblitus

Just got a massive infestation (2 hives per one combat capable pawn). When I've started combat, all bugs rushed across the base to trash my furniture (my inner doors are mostly kept open), barely paying attention to my pawns, so I've just killed them all without a scratch. I'm not sure how to feel about it.

vzoxz0

QuoteWanted to grow cocoa trees. They suck. It takes too much time to plant them and result is unsatisfactory given growth time and used space.

I tried planting a bunch, not seen any results -- Cassandra hit me with toxic fallout after a few were half grown.