Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boboid

Quote from: Tynan on July 09, 2018, 05:23:56 AM
Humans can bite.
Adjusted some warmup and cooldown times on weapons.
Rebalanced stuff stats for melee specialization a bit.
Standardize melee cooldowns into slow, standard, and fast attacks. Rebalance a few melee weapons.

Guess I'm starting up a new melee colony, damnyouuuuuUu.
In all seriousness though - yay new toys.

Quote from: Madman666 on July 09, 2018, 07:38:03 AM
I am also wondering, if lump sizes from mineral scanner can be adjusted, so that gold and plasteel lumps can be worth going for. Right now i will always go for silver (big size lumps, semi-fast mining), jade (medium to small lumps, reasonably fast mining), components lumps (big size, fast enough mining), but pretty much never go for plasteel (you spend ages mining that and get like 10-12 tiles of it in the lump, which is meh, you get more killing mechs) and gold (currency item, low yields and lump sizes are just insulting - 10-13 tiles). Uranium i usually think about going for, since its a rare material, but the amount is still quite low to justify an expedition.

I hate to bring this up again madman but.... The trade value of plasteel and gold should be considered :P
In terms of wealth gained and usefulness of materials I consider plasteel and gold to be extremely worthwhile when judging LRMS sites.
The fact that gold is used in advanced components alone typically makes it in fairly high demand in my games.
I will admit that I stick a LOT of bionic parts on my colonists and I typically have fairly large colony sizes unless I'm specifically recruiting for a whacky playthrough.
In terms of plasteel - Well it's worth a lot more than gold in terms of raw wealth and it's harder to obtain. You have to pay more for it and it requires exotic goods traders most of the time.
In both cases they're mostly used in smaller quantities as well. 100 steel is a pittance, 100 gold is not.
Overall I think the LRMS is in a good spot and any more buffs to it would be.. overly generous? But I may be in the minority.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Madman666

Don't forget - gold is a currency item. You can craft and build things out of it for a reason. So whats the point of 10 tiles worth gold lump, if you can't do anything from it? Because you seriously can't, its too small. In comparison silver lumps are real big. I am not saying gold lump should be as big as silver ones, but 10 tiles... is as i said - insulting. I guess this is where we look at it differently - you look at it as trade goods, i look at it, like a crafting\building material for the colony. You might be right from trade point of view - its expensive, so making scanner find more, may spike your wealth... But from my point of view it takes ages to find enough gold to craft a single item :( I wish gold d be a normal stack item, non currency one.

Plasteel lumps are same-ish in size and thats incredibly frustrating. It takes crapton of time mining it and hardly get a journey's worth, since you get heaps more from a single mech raid well not heaps more, but quite a bit and those are quite frequent. Or from deep drills. I think it should at least be on par with other means of getting it. Other types of world events are often a lot more lucrative than plasteel\gold lumps.

Though even if those amounts won't be changed - i am really happy with how world event aren't a 100% suicide runs now. I ll just add steel lumps to scanners for my run and be quite content with it.

Crow_T

Crashlanded, Cassandra Rough arid shrubland, single animal insanity disabled, almost at end of year one:

This was yesterday's build so some things may be addressed, but some things I noticed:
had 2 pod crashes within a minute of each other containing muffalo fur
sometimes when hovering over sandstone mountain walls it displays the floor info instead of the roof info
emus have a 100% chance to attack when hunted
had a manhunter pack of one cougar, these should be at least 3 or so to distinguish this event more from single animal insanity.

The research speed is good, I like it a bit longer- I'm curious if the research skill gain has been slowed down as well, that would make sense as getting a monster researcher could happen pretty quickly in earlier versions. The early game feels drawn out a bit more which is nice, it makes the beginning tech more relevant.

The raids seem to be more frequent but are scaling slower, but now I have seven colonists already which may be lucky or may be about right? I feel like I read that gaining colonists from raids would be less common now.

I like the added quest info, it will encourage venturing out more.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Ser Kitteh

I have no complaints in regards to research speed (current run is tribal/swamp/cassandra rough,, three years long).

The way it's set up, later techs are easier to research because you have higher level researchers, better and multiple workbenches, and more researchers means you can put a couple on night shift and a couple during day hours. Even with no research for the first year, I was able to get to pre-starflight tech at a moderate pace.

Boboid

QuoteSo whats the point of 10 tiles worth gold lump, if you can't do anything from it? Because you seriously can't, its too small.
10 tiles of gold ore is ~350 gold - Enough to make 116 advanced components or 6 royal beds.

Now don't get me wrong it's not enough to make sculptures or furniture out of but.. why would you do that anyway? You might as well be lighting it on fire and increasing the size of every raid :P

Plasteel is in a similar situation - Sure you get some from mechanoids but personally I use all I can get on armor, bionics, and strategically important doors. ~350 plasteel goes a fairly long way. That's enough to make 6 bionic arms or legs. Or two suits of plasteel plate armor which are basically indestructible in addition to being nearly as effective as power armor.

I won't dispute that plasteel takes a bazillion years to mine but.. as I said I find it worthwhile.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

iamomnivore

The slower research speeds feel good. Even with a standard Research Bench, one could have a high level researcher (perhaps with a global work speed boost, to top it off) carve through early techs, if able to dedicate said worker. I've been able to "eat tech, for breakfast" here lately.

Slowing it down a bit makes each tech feel more potent. This also could add a greater sense of the struggle to fight for research time (i.e. a greater appreciation for the entire system.)

Madman666

Quote from: Boboid on July 09, 2018, 09:22:22 AM
as I said I find it worthwhile.

Eh, well, if you're fine with it how it is, you're fine with it. I say it could use a boost, but as always - many people, many opinions. Even if it stays as is, i can't say i am unhappy. I can always tweak it a bit myself to be optimal.

Syrchalis

Exotic good traders should not sell 1-2 hyperweave. Suggesting this:

Add hyperweave to the excluded things ExoticMisc Tag.

<li Class="StockGenerator_Tag">
        <tradeTag>ExoticMisc</tradeTag>
        <thingDefCountRange>
          <min>3</min>
          <max>5</max>
        </thingDefCountRange>
        <countRange>
          <min>1</min>
          <max>2</max>
        </countRange>
        <excludedThingDefs>
          <li>Luciferium</li> <!-- already handled by drugs -->
          <li>MedicineUltratech</li> <!-- already handled by single def -->
          <li>ComponentSpacer</li> <!-- already handled by single def -->
          <li>Hyperweave</li> <!-- already handled by single def -->
        </excludedThingDefs>
      </li>

And rather make them have it as a single def, maybe with a chance to appear?
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Mihsan

Quote from: Tynan on July 09, 2018, 05:23:56 AMHumans can bite.
It just killed my best crafter in social fight. I might be biased right now, but 12.5 damage feels like too much for a bite - my pawn got killed before he was downed by pain. See attached picture.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Madman666

Damn, 12 damage on a bite, wow. Quite the sharp teeth humans have. More than a cut from legendary gladius, lol

mndfreeze

Bug keeps popping up when a pawn is a miner and a crafter.  If a wall tile is smoothed, then you decide to mine it out, my pawn will mine it part way, then stop mining and repair it, then mine it, then repair it, in a never ending loop.  Needs to be made so when set to be mined it can't be repaired or something, like a wall being deconstructed.

Tass237

I played on Cassandra Rough/Hard Flat Arid
Played on build 1956 and build 1957

In regards to killboxes, and people claiming they don't work on open maps, it depends how you define "killbox". My wrap-around kill-corridor works just fine, and also works on sappers. I've attached pictures of my setup, and the aftermath of a sapper raid.

My wealth graph is not useful, as I have used the dev tools to test some things.

My experience with the mechanoids is that the lancers are a little dumb, in that they can be fairly easily lured into melee, whereas the scythers were very reasonably scary. The centipede I ran into was quite fun, and didn't feel too easy or too hard.

I feel like autodoors don't have enough of a niche to be worth researching until very late game. Maybe if they had more HP than regular doors, but required Microelectronics?

Tynan asked about research speed, so my feeling is that it is hard to dedicate anyone to researching until I have at least 5 colonists, so I feel like the early game research is balanced well, but once I get the Multi-analyzer, and most of the researches after that, research feels too fast. I'm getting another research done every game day, even though my researcher takes breaks to hunt.

Greep

Quote from: Madman666 on July 09, 2018, 09:57:17 AM
Damn, 12 damage on a bite, wow. Quite the sharp teeth humans have. More than a cut from legendary gladius, lol

Probably enough to take an ear out in one chomp.  I'm naming my top melee guy walter  ::)
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tass237

Quote from: Tynan on July 09, 2018, 10:19:39 AM
Tass, why the graves?

They prevent trees/bushes from growing in the kill-corridor and providing cover.

Also... Intimidation!