Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: erdrik on July 08, 2018, 01:30:46 PM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on July 08, 2018, 12:53:56 PM
I thought as soon as you built/crafted/operated/etc. on something the inspiration ends?
It does. Thats why you halt the crafting before the item is built. Losing inspiration once it is built doesn't prevent that you just turned a mostly normal piece of unfinished project into a masterwork for only 10 or 20 work.
(especially egregious for projects like plate armor which is ~600 work to complete)
That way you have a store of unfinished crafting projects just waiting for a crafter to get inspiration.
As soon as the crafter gets inspiration, finish one and BAM! get a masterwork/legendary.

If you are still only getting one per inspiration, I guess I just don't see the point of having a bunch ready. Couldn't you still just have a crafter make the whole thing once inspired? The inspiration lasts long enough that it isn't really an issue of running out of time to craft something, at least in my experience. Perhaps I am missing something in this scenario??

vzoxz0

Quote from: Tynan on July 09, 2018, 10:19:39 AM
Tass, why the graves?

Because you have to put the skeletons somewhere after you turn the meat into kibble and the skin into bowler hats.

Boboid

Quote from: Mihsan on July 09, 2018, 09:50:10 AM
Quote from: Tynan on July 09, 2018, 05:23:56 AMHumans can bite.
It just killed my best crafter in social fight. I might be biased right now, but 12.5 damage feels like too much for a bite - my pawn got killed before he was downed by pain. See attached picture.

That scar + all those wounds, minus the bite is 34.15 damage. Fair chance that another punch to the torso would've killed him in any case since he only had 5.85 torso health left.
Still hilarious however :P

Quote from: Madman666 on July 09, 2018, 09:57:17 AM
Damn, 12 damage on a bite, wow. Quite the sharp teeth humans have. More than a cut from legendary gladius, lol

.. what are you making your Gladii out of? Cheese? A normal steel gladius does 9/15/15 damage :P A legendary plasteel gladius does 13.4/27.2/27.2.

---
Anyway! Just started up a fresh Cass/hard/tribal/arid 60/60 grow game to give meleeing another run.
- The melee bulk stat could use a lot more clarification/removal entirely from melee weapons. For some reason I've had a bit of a blind spot for it but looking at it with fresh eyes I've realized that it totally fails to communicate any useful information.
Attack frequency is listed under melee dps so, melee bulk is fairly misleading.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Broken Reality

Quote from: Tass237 on July 09, 2018, 10:20:52 AM
Tass, why the graves?

They prevent trees/bushes from growing in the kill-corridor and providing cover.

Also... Intimidation!

Wouldn't roofing over the kill donut have the same effect?

Thoughts on things after past couple of playthroughs (I'm not getting super late as starting a new conly most days for a new patch). All on Cass hard, temperate forest, done small, large hills and mountain.

Scythers seem fine, fought some on raids and ships and not too big of a problem. I mostly fight them from popping ancient dangers especially tribal starts as getting the loot (including the folks gear in the caskets) helps immensely due to slow research speeds and gives you a large room to use (I do get crops growing first).

Research speeds seem fine for spacers if a little fast. Though increasing research time doubly hurts tribals. Personally I like the "tech advancing" mods and think it could be good for the base game. It would give you the option of researching more of the early things you might not want right away to make things later faster to research or you can skip the early and push for the advanced techs.

I also feel that mountain starts got a buff in 1.0. Infestations are nerfed in that you now get time to evacuate an area before they spawn thus reducing the biggest risk mountain bases had. With the inclusion of the new scatter raids and other raid types mountain bases safety is increased as they only have one direction to attack them from. Mountains also have far more resources albeit you have to find them by grid mining.

One thing I am really missing right now is "haul urgently" from Allowtool. I know the forbid/unforbid all got added but haul urgently was so useful for not having things rot outside without having to change priorities in the work tab to get hauling done after a harvest of a battle. If you have animals hauling for you this is less of an issue but still frustrating to me.

dnmr

Quote from: Tynan on July 09, 2018, 05:23:56 AMTurrets can now define an inherent accuracy (instead of it being hardcoded at 96%). Rebalanced sniper turret more accurate and slower.
looks like everything including T-shirts lists accuracy in description now, which is intriguing https://i.imgur.com/3dSNl2u.png

Madman666

Quote from: Boboid on July 09, 2018, 10:42:51 AM
.. what are you making your Gladii out of? Cheese? A normal steel gladius does 9/15/15 damage :P A legendary plasteel gladius does 13.4/27.2/27.2.

Lol, nah, just brainfarted a bit - old habit of looking at DPS instead of actual melee strikes damage kicked in. Legendary steel one has ~11 DPS, so hence my comment. Still 12 damage on human bite is kinda... too much?

Awe

Quote from: Madman666 on July 09, 2018, 08:42:39 AM
Don't forget - gold is a currency item. You can craft and build things out of it for a reason. So whats the point of 10 tiles worth gold lump, if you can't do anything from it? Because you seriously can't, its too small. But from my point of view it takes ages to find enough gold to craft a single item :( I wish gold d be a normal stack item, non currency one.

Mined a lot of gold lumps. And still waiting for creativity inspiration buff on my sculptor to do grand statue.  :'(
Also, just a 3 lumps can be turned into thing you can never sell for fair price.  ;D

[attachment deleted due to age]

Tass237

Quote from: Broken Reality on July 09, 2018, 11:02:53 AM
They prevent trees/bushes from growing in the kill-corridor and providing cover.

Also... Intimidation!

Wouldn't roofing over the kill donut have the same effect?
Maybe? Last time I tried that (in B18 I believe), I would still get seedling trees adn bushes that would get stuck at 5% growth, but still provided some cover. Besides, I like the way this looks, and it is fun to have little reminders of where enemies die in past raids, because they often get buried wherever they fell.

I forgot to mention my caravan experiences in my last post.  Again, Cass, Rough/Hard, Arid, Flat. Builds 1956 and 1957.
I have gotten 3 quests that I have completed.
One was a request for 1850 patchleather, and gave an Infinite Chemreactor, an orbital bombardment targeter, and 3 antigrain warheads. The patchleather was a big ask, but I already had 680 leather (though I wanted to keep the heavy fur), and I started hunting everything I could to get more. Eventually I had a bulk goods trade ship pass by and I ordered ~500 leather from them to make sure I could complete the order in time. I took 2 pawns and a camel, and enough food for 1.5 times the estimated round trip length. The only caravan event I got was another caravan with whom I traded, but my caravan ran out of food half a day before getting home, so they were very hungry (but not malnourished) when they made it back to the colony. Not sure how I screwed up the food supplies.

The second caravan was for peace talks. I sent my best negotiator and a soldier, with plenty of extra food. Before they got there, I got raided by that tribe, and the prisoners I released after the raid brought the tribe up to neutral, so I turned the caravan around.

The third caravan was a request for 30 firefoam shells, and offered a Legendary assault rifle and a jade animal sleeping box. I had to have the rifle, so I made the shells and sent the caravan. (I was surprised that I didn't need to research either IEDs or Mortars to build the shells) I collected the rifle, and got surprised by a pack of manhunting gazelle on the way home. I quickly equipped the Legendary assault rifle and thoroughly destroyed the gazelles with it. (my caravan already had my Masterwork assault rifle with them, which I had bought from some traders, so two very powerful assault rifles are a great combo on open field).

Side note: It is a little silly that you lose 15 faction relationship for removing a peg leg that you JUST installed on a person for "Harvesting limbs" :P

Madman666

Quote from: Awe on July 09, 2018, 11:23:59 AM
Mined a lot of gold lumps. And still waiting for creativity inspiration buff on my sculptor to do grand statue.  :'(
Also, just a 3 lumps can be turned into thing you can never sell for fair price.  ;D

Fine, fine. I give up. Lets leave the gold alone. I ll just mod its amount in lumps for myself and be done with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

erdrik

Tass, why the graves?

Also... Intimidation!
Ive always wondered why open graves didn't have a higher pathing cost, or provided cover while standing in them...
I mean they are basically very short length trenches...

Tass237

Quote from: erdrik on July 09, 2018, 11:35:20 AM
Tass, why the graves?

Also... Intimidation!
Ive always wondered why open graves didn't have a higher pathing cost, or provided cover while standing in them...

Prior to 1.0, graves also provided a minor exploit where enemies (and your drafted pawns) didn't like stopping on top of graves to shoot, so building graves could be used to discourage enemies from seeking cover. That is no longer the case in 1.0 thankfully.

5thHorseman

Tass, why the graves?
I thought it was for less hauling time of the dead bodies. Also because holy cow I would no assault a base surrounded by the graves of once and future attackers.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

erdrik

Quote from: Tass237 on July 09, 2018, 11:42:08 AM
Tass, why the graves?

Also... Intimidation!

Prior to 1.0, graves also provided a minor exploit where enemies (and your drafted pawns) didn't like stopping on top of graves to shoot, so building graves could be used to discourage enemies from seeking cover. That is no longer the case in 1.0 thankfully.
I dunno if graves should be an appropriate means of preventing tree growth based cover tho.
I think it is itself an exploit since normally you would have to spend resources to floor over the ground to do it, and that would result in faster moving enemies. But graves don't cost resources, and don't really take alot of time to dig.

Tass237

Quote from: erdrik on July 09, 2018, 11:48:37 AM
Quote from: Tass237 on July 09, 2018, 11:42:08 AM

I dunno if graves should be an appropriate means of preventing tree growth based cover tho.
I think it is itself an exploit since normally you would have to spend resources to floor over the ground to do it, and that would result in faster moving enemies. But graves don't cost resources, and don't really take alot of time to dig.
I consider it equivalent to having a "Clear all trees and bushes" zone, but all the work is front-loaded. I do enjoy the small benefits in reduced hauling time though. Plus, as mentioned, the intimidation factor :P

Mehni

Tynan, you left some debug logging in CheckSpring().