Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Quote from: JavaWho on July 10, 2018, 09:18:55 AM
I could go on and on but many of us love to build our extreme mega colonies and play this game to it's full potential.  We love getting wiped out and doing it bigger and better but the new mechanoid changes are making this hard for us to do.  No colony is endless, Rimworld eventually always takes us down somehow but it is nice to be able to build big to watch the big fall.

Yes, thanks, I am aware that at least in the past, many or possibly most players never actually built the ship. It's a designed-in legit playstyle, it's just hard to design for since each test run takes ages and the runs tend to be heterogenous. So it's hard to get data.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

iamomnivore

Quote from: Mihsan on July 09, 2018, 09:50:10 AM
Quote from: Tynan on July 09, 2018, 05:23:56 AMHumans can bite.
It just killed my best crafter in social fight. I might be biased right now, but 12.5 damage feels like too much for a bite - my pawn got killed before he was downed by pain. See attached picture.

Ye gads! It's like the crazed fool tore out his own ally's throat! Like some kind of wolf  D:

gadjung

Quote from: Madman666 on July 09, 2018, 05:04:29 PM
Thats also true. If you don't have one, or aren't lucky enough for storyteller to toss you one - you can get real stuck on research.
That's trade off / risk.
The same can be said that if You don't have a miner You get stuck on steel/stone blocks, if You don't have grower you get  stuck on food growing, having no good doctor makes you stuck with dead/scarred pawns or if You have pawns with low shooting/melle you're stuck with little combat ability.

RemingtonRyder

@Madman666: Like Tynan said in the change log, there's a new dev-only mode history graph which shows how the Storyteller ramp-up changes over time. Ramp-up is a factor which usually increases with time, but decreases when colonists are injured enough to be downed - in other words, when they're in a tough fight.

This basically means that when threats are too easy, future threats will be a little bit harder.

I don't know what exactly Tynan changed but you know, take a look at the new graph and see what happens if colonists get downed in a fight.

SpaceDorf

I agree with the quest thing.

I was able to procure three archotech implants through simple quests I could solve with only two pawns in year one. ( Randy Hard. )

Else I think Caravaning has changed for the better in many ways. The only thing thats keeps on happening to me is, that I miss the message when a caravan arrives at another settlement to trade.

Keeping dead animals in the freezer not butchered so it does not count as wealth with meat and leather is cheesy.

That is more of technique to safe space then wealth when used with big animals.
A dead rhino uses up 1 tile of space. a butchered rhino consists of 270 meat and 90 leather which comes down to 4 Tiles of Meat and 2 Tiles of Leather.

Does The Ramp-Up Graph require a new Colony ?
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

iamomnivore

Quote from: Lanilor on July 09, 2018, 10:31:50 PM
I would like to see more complexity, but I think the focus of rimworld isn't that much on research to invest much in it. Like the research boost in Civ 6 was a nice idea but turned out too much micro grinding for objectives.

Let's all be careful about assuming / presuming what the "Focus" of Rimworld is. That's Tynan's job. To quickly demonstrate -- I disagree with you. Research is an integral part of the game and can lead to victory or failure, easily in its own right. Didn't get Penoxycilin quick enough because you wanted to rush turrets? That disease just wiped your colony out. Etc.

This isn't Civ6. This is an entirely different game. Careful, making such comparisons in order to highlight a point -- the comparison becomes null and void. Beyond that -- how is, in any way, research micro-intensive?  ??? It's part of the overall strategy and approach -- it's a major system and I believe you've possibly missed that point. Let's keep this to story-based experiences and feedback on changes.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 10, 2018, 10:24:34 AM
I agree with the quest thing.

I was able to procure three archotech implants through simple quests I could solve with only two pawns in year one. ( Randy Hard. )

Else I think Caravaning has changed for the better in many ways. The only thing thats keeps on happening to me is, that I miss the message when a caravan arrives at another settlement to trade.

Has anyone put in a suggestion for a letter alert on caravan arrival? Seems like a great idea.

Keeping dead animals in the freezer not butchered so it does not count as wealth with meat and leather is cheesy.

That is more of technique to safe space then wealth when used with big animals.
A dead rhino uses up 1 tile of space. a butchered rhino consists of 270 meat and 90 leather which comes down to 4 Tiles of Meat and 2 Tiles of Leather.

My thoughts exactly. Especially now that the butcher "until you have X" meat option works well without a mod. Gone are my days of butcher set to "do forever."

Madman666

Quote from: MarvinKosh on July 10, 2018, 10:23:09 AM
@Madman666: Like Tynan said in the change log, there's a new dev-only mode history graph which shows how the Storyteller ramp-up changes over time. Ramp-up is a factor which usually increases with time, but decreases when colonists are injured enough to be downed - in other words, when they're in a tough fight.

This basically means that when threats are too easy, future threats will be a little bit harder.

I don't know what exactly Tynan changed but you know, take a look at the new graph and see what happens if colonists get downed in a fight.

Thanks! Will do.

Talys

@Tynan
Ramp-up does not seem to be an option for me... current graph with graph selection choices below

Canute

Maybe a trade screen auto. should open when you visit another outpost.
Your own caravan auto. enter the map when you select to enter it from the distance and don't wait for an enter order.

Lanilor

Quote from: iamomnivore on July 10, 2018, 10:29:04 AM
Quote from: Lanilor on July 09, 2018, 10:31:50 PM
I would like to see more complexity, but I think the focus of rimworld isn't that much on research to invest much in it. Like the research boost in Civ 6 was a nice idea but turned out too much micro grinding for objectives.

Let's all be careful about assuming / presuming what the "Focus" of Rimworld is. That's Tynan's job. To quickly demonstrate -- I disagree with you. Research is an integral part of the game and can lead to victory or failure, easily in its own right. Didn't get Penoxycilin quick enough because you wanted to rush turrets? That disease just wiped your colony out. Etc.

This isn't Civ6. This is an entirely different game. Careful, making such comparisons in order to highlight a point -- the comparison becomes null and void. Beyond that -- how is, in any way, research micro-intensive?  ??? It's part of the overall strategy and approach -- it's a major system and I believe you've possibly missed that point. Let's keep this to story-based experiences and feedback on changes.

Well, if you want to keep this to story-based experiences, you shouldn't have written that comment and by the way you didn't get at all what I was saying. Like it wasn't even a comparison, it was to give an example to more "complexity" than just letting a pawn stand on a stop for 3 days until a research is finished.
So the only effect your post had was to piss someone off. Congratulations.

Rulin

Is the ramp-up graph already in the latest build?

iamomnivore

Quote from: Madman666 on July 10, 2018, 05:25:30 AM
Well, as you ve seen - Tynan seems genuinely surprised, that people managed to hoard even more than a mil, not talking about 5 mils :D So I don't think he considered, that quite a lot of people actually played Rimworld in this style, not to win, but to last. Hence the changes to balance mostly made around completely different playstyle than we have. Thats of course only just my assumption. Can't read minds. To continue playing our way, without making it relatively short term "runs", we ll probably just have to rely on mods for the most part.

Aye. Different play styles should be considered viable. The long-term survivalists are every bit as "deserving" as the rest of the gang. I'd ask Tynan not to get so wrapped up in "win" conditions, as much as how the game plays throughout the virtual years (to provide all players the best experience up until making the choice.) Seems like win conditions could just be added upon and tweaked into that process, somewhat easily once it's in place and feels right -- an icing on the cake -- something available (and hopefully an extra bit of fun / unique situation like the ship start sequence) but, not necessary.

Ursula K. Le Guin — 'It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.'

ison

Quote from: Lanilor on July 09, 2018, 08:38:51 PM
I agree with the trade stuff: While I wrote for the patch before that, that I got way to many offers, I now got only one world event in a year or even longer. Could just be back luck, but I think this is too rare.

Quote from: Fritigern on July 09, 2018, 08:14:49 PM
I haven't had a faction mission in 3 years and I am lucky to get a trade request every 1 year, and when I do get them they are almost always of no value to me.

These numbers look way off. On average you should get a world quest every 7 days (except during the first 25 days). I couldn't reproduce it though, not even with the "Log future events" debug option. Could you send me your savefiles?

doradorara

Hi Tynan.
I really appreciate you for working new version 1.0.

I have some question at 1.0. No mod.

I am Japanese, and I`m not good at english, so if this question is not suitable,or wrong,
I apologize.

Question
There`s some critical error to play Rimworld 1.0ver in JAPANESE.
Is this error can be fixed? Does it takes for long time?

thank you

@error log ( in  Create world:Generate)
Attach name:output_log_forTyan
                  :error2  .png

[attachment deleted due to age]