Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Quote from: kchou94 on July 12, 2018, 05:31:29 AM
Hi,

Here is my current game after 1 game year.

- Cassandra Classic Medium
- v 1.0.1961

Hope this helps!

Thank you! Very interesting.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mcduff

Quote from: Ra66itInc on July 12, 2018, 05:24:31 AM
Hey Tynan, can you add an area allowed for prisoners? Its like the animal area in the old versions but this time for prisoners or specific prisoners. I want to build a torture room >:D

Tahnks for listening!
This, but for building jails with individual cells/rec rooms/yards.

JohnLG

Here's an annoying little bug - If a pawn moves because you ordered it to attack an enemy, you can't order other pawns to move to the tile they were previously occupying until their target is dead or they start moving toward another movement (but not attack) order.  Here's a little picture just in case - Nonna is considered to be occupying the red carpet even though she's been ordered to attack Grey and will never return there on her own. 

I've been having a lot of fun with 1.0!  I'd post a ramp-up screenshot, but my colony started before you added that option.  Maybe I'll start a new one tomorrow for that.  I'm especially enjoying caravan missions.  I never really got into them before, maybe because I felt like I was spreading my pawns too thin by sending them out.  I'd love to see more random events possible for caravans, like asking you if you want to assist a neutral caravan that's under attack or something.  I'd especially like more to see more quest-only structure rewards to bring home, I'll keep an eye out for any mods for that.

The-MathMog

Might be the build that simply corrupted my save, but right now, when my pawns get an infection, the immunity just stays at 0%, forcing me to either amputate or use healer serum. I'll test on a new save, when I find the time for it.

On another note. In 1.0, small creatures seem excessively powerful. Many times now, I've seen rats taking down timberwolves, when they are hunting them.

brotatocake

Made an account just to chime in. I'm copping the same thing, immunity hasn't increased across several pawns (infection x1 and malaria x3), however, it is a save I've been playing over the last few builds.

Tynan

Yeah, immunity was broken. Sorry. I'm pushing a quick fix now. Update in 10 minutes or so.

Tynan

Quote from: JohnLG on July 12, 2018, 06:24:21 AM
Here's an annoying little bug - If a pawn moves because you ordered it to attack an enemy, you can't order other pawns to move to the tile they were previously occupying until their target is dead or they start moving toward another movement (but not attack) order.  Here's a little picture just in case - Nonna is considered to be occupying the red carpet even though she's been ordered to attack Grey and will never return there on her own. 

I've been having a lot of fun with 1.0!  I'd post a ramp-up screenshot, but my colony started before you added that option.  Maybe I'll start a new one tomorrow for that.  I'm especially enjoying caravan missions.  I never really got into them before, maybe because I felt like I was spreading my pawns too thin by sending them out.  I'd love to see more random events possible for caravans, like asking you if you want to assist a neutral caravan that's under attack or something.  I'd especially like more to see more quest-only structure rewards to bring home, I'll keep an eye out for any mods for that.

Will investigate that (but maybe not super soon). Thanks.

For future, bugs go well in the bugs forum!

Yoshida Keiji

Somebody else said it before me in this 160 pages thread, that I don't feel to roll through all of them to find out who was it but...

I just finished research of "Prosthetics", cochlear implant...interesting...but so far...hearing impairment was a never an issue in game....is it now? But like somebody else said it...: Can we get "Hand implant" instead of full arm implant ONLY?

Broken Reality

So here is my latest colony. Tribal start, Cass - Hard (version 1961), temperate forest, large hills, yeah round growing.

Things started out ok though the ancient danger had more in than I'm used to. Two centipedes, a scyther and a lancer. This was in the first week after a save scrub I did beat them but I did have to use some wooden traps to soften them up and take out the scyther and lancer. Had a few missions one which was for an exceptional plasteel longsword. Most of my colonists can't shoot but are good at melee (two of my starting pawns had 14 and 13 skill). Most raids so far have been easy to handle with shooters using the top storeroom as shooting points and picking people off as they cross the river.

Research has been slower but that got compensated for by having two people research. I went for plate armour and long blades before getting electricity and microelectronics. The plate armour helped a lot during the raids my casualties would have been higher without it. I wanted to be able to fight people off more than I wanted a freezer and I had a lot of melee fighters. I didn't go for flak as I had alot of steel on my map and not a lot of components.

One thing that threw me was traps hitting my colonists. I don't remember it being changed back. I also had raiders zig zag to avoid the trap to the right of my base even though the traps were new and no raids had happened between me placing them.

I haven't got to the turrets yet and it would require a lot of trading to get the plasteel and uranium for them (I turned off fog just to see if there was any of either on my map as I took the screenshots, research for deep drilling is along way off as a tribal). I have started producing flake to take with me on caravans to sell if I meet anyone and they have something I want (such as a sniper rifle and bionic leg on one trip) it's light and valuable as i don't have any pack animals yet (they all got hunted to make pemmican for caravanning).

The two hardest fights for the colony were a poison ship and a siege. The poison ship spawned 8 scyther 3 lancers, at first I tried snipping but that proved time consuming and risky as they are both quite fast so hard to kite. But some friendly wanders decided to walk across the map which distracted them. Then I pulled them through a choke point in the river and my melee held the line and everything got diced and shot with few injuries. The siege seemed to build it's mortars faster than I am used to or expected and they did set my research/production room on fire it was nice of them to create a heat vent in the roof by exploding it for me.

The change to research speed felt ok though on a hotter biome with less wood I don't think I would have managed anywhere close to as well and would have had to rush electricity. Also with how much longer tribals take to research things river maps are a huge boon reducing the need and time to research batteries and solar power, one of the main reasons I chose the map.

There are a ton of things I missed that I wanted to say but I'm not totally with it (tooth abscess yay).

[attachment deleted due to age]

Tynan

Thanks Broken Reality! Looks like you only had 4 pawns go down and never had one killed.

ReZpawner

Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 08:14:42 AM
Thanks Broken Reality! Looks like you only had 4 pawns go down and never had one killed.

Thanks to save+load, I have never had a pawn die on me either. Just a LOT of loading screens...

Tynan

The game is designed for loss and recovery, reloading saves when any tiny thing goes wrong really neuters it.

I'm gonna redesign how permadeath is presented. Maybe on by default.

EDIT: Many players have reported playing with frequent save-reloading and then, upon dropping difficulty a notch or two and changing to permadeath, reported a much richer experience. It really is possible to set settings to harm one's own experience, and for many players (not all) permadeath is the better choice. Reloading is a good idea in other cases, of course, since no one playstyle is right for everyone. But for most players, the improvement comes in changing from reloading to permadeath, as so many have reported.

Yoshida Keiji

I am disliking the "Door closing delay" now, because of the placing between my kitchen and the freezer. The kitchen needs to be at 10C or else the Fueled Stove suffer a penalty due to Bad Temperature. At the same time the Freezer needs to be kept at low temperature or it defeats it purpose. I also have my Butchering table within the kitchen in this game at least, sometimes I have it elsewhere. But this means that now, the kitchen door spends more time "opened" than before the new update and my meal production suffers a "strange" penalty.

I guess the change you made is aimed towards "Urban Combat" instead...but is negatively affecting my cooks production in which two natural adjacent rooms of opposing temperatures cannot coexist with each other. And this scenario is in Tropical Forest with Permanent Summer. My kitchen is a makeshift old room of steel, so the low insulation should still keep my kitchen warm... but in every door opening... my kitchen temperature drops too low.

I personally classify meal production into 4 stages.

* Initial stage:

If you don't have a dedicated cooker because you don't randomize to super-cheesy levels to get a perfect starting team of pawns to a Dream Team level, anyone assigned to cooking may not have any Passions, so at the start of the game, whoever is sent to do the cooking will probably spend full day in the kitchen.

* Second stage:

The cooker should be able to provide a meal for the entire crew before lunch, and shall continue in the kitchen for the next batch which is dinner. I am fine in seeing the cooker still spending full days in the kitchen while the cook does NOT fail to provide 2 meals per days for each pawn, unlike the first stage in which some pawns may be forced to eat raw food as the cooker improves his/her cooking skills.

* Third stage:

The cooker with just one single Fueled Stove, should be able to finish the 2 meals per pawn production and have at least one quarter of the day to perform a secondary task, I don't care which but that is pawn dependent based on the character skill set which is random, but I mean... do something else.

* Fourth stage:

My Cook, should be able to prepare 3 meals per pawn, the daily 2 plus one for next day. If I have 5 pawns at that time, I expect 15 meals and the Cook, doing a secondary task of player choice within a same day.

Additional Fueled Stoves or Electric Stoves can be built to increase production, and better if your cooks have either Interested Passion or Burning Passion... ... ...

But as of now in my current game I'm in day 147 with 11 pawns and my cook just cant make 22 meals yet. I have a total of 4 colonists in rotation:

* Two pawns have priority level 1, both have Interested Passion and are at level 7 and 8 in cooking.
* Two other pawns have priority level 2, one is Interested Passion skill level 10. The other has no Passion and is skill level 5, aimed for butchering.

It just can't be that my meal production is so low when my entire colony is already at stage level 4 where meal production should almost take a bit more than half a day but not 2/3rds of a day but instead...none of my cooks can make 2 meals a day per pawn yet.

I usually increase a secondary cooking stove after my tenth colonist, and since I'm at 11, I should... it's just for a variety of reasons that my base building plans are delayed, typically fair to the game as Randy keeps showering me with diseases in tropical forest... but I notice a large delay in meal production that never happened to me in B18 and previous Alphas.

Anybody else seen meal production delay...to be...too slow...?

Madman666

Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 08:26:58 AM
That's a terrible way to play, btw. The game is designed for loss and recovery, you're totally neutering it.

I'm gonna redesign how permadeath is presented. Maybe on by default.

Playing it via reloading every single thing that you doesn't like (most common reason - death of a favorite pawn) is indeed not the most fun way to play it. However with the game's tendency of showing you a big middle finger out of nowhere from time to time (plague on half colony, then a flare followed by a raid is a good example or a crazy lucky pirate with a doom launcher dodging every single shot, then just wiping half your force with it), making permadeath enabled by default won't achieve anything. People who savescum will still savescum.

Broken Reality

Quote from: ReZpawner on July 12, 2018, 08:22:33 AM
Quote from: Tynan on July 12, 2018, 08:14:42 AM

Thanks to save+load, I have never had a pawn die on me either. Just a LOT of loading screens...

The only save scum I did was being surprised by how much was in the ancient danger it was more than I have faced in the past. So instead of wasting time starting over as this was week one of the game I scummed it. My pawns don't go down much because they had good armour and I fought smart, plus I had some very good melee weapons one from a quest and one from an inspiration. My position was easy to pick people off as they crossed the river so not much risk is involved defending there (there was a legendary assault rifle in the ancient danger). Also I was never facing massive raids so things were manageable.