Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Tbh, restriction of growing trees in greenhouses already made getting wood for making art problematic enough, so there was absolutely no need to further slow it down, by multiplying sowing work amount by 5. Unless you play year-round growing maps you can't really grow that much wood yourself. And with such huge work amount no one would even bother, since they grow slow and winter just multiplies grow times by two (i always play 30\30 maps with -10 C winters, since i like seasonal transition).

At least we got source of stone blocks for art to compensate by using deep drills. On that topic - i second the suggestion of making various map places yield different kinds of stone. It would be really nice to have different kinds of stone, for both aesthetic and practical reasons.

targetingyou78

Quote from: Syrchalis on July 13, 2018, 05:53:10 PM
2. Tree Sowing with 4000 work is pretty decent. I tested it now and it feels like it takes some time, but not as horrendously much as right now. I didn't test 6000 work yet. But I can say 12000 work just leads me to never sowing trees ever for anything.

I'm not a terribly experienced player but I can second this. I used to almost always plant at least a small patch of trees quite close to the colony. However, I did this once after the sowing update and oh boy that was not worth it. Now I don't even bother researching Tree Sowing.

My second thought: I like the slower research changes. Before, some of the earlier research didn't feel worth it. Simply rushing higher tier research just seemed a better option. With larger differences in research time and slowing down the time it takes to run down the research tree, it now feels like researching some of the lower techs is more rewarding.

Rellik

Isn't the doomsday rocket launcher a little underpowered?

I had a big infestation next to my base 100+ insects and tried to get rid of it by using the doomsday rocket launcher, but all i got was a few bruises and shreds on the insects and my colony killed, the area of the explosion was huge, but I found the damage lacking for a weapon called "Doomsday"

Madman666

Holy crap, now its 100+ bugs. Wow. I am curious on how much wealth and people did you have and what difficulty was it.

Rellik

Quote from: Madman666 on July 13, 2018, 06:33:18 PM
Holy crap, now its 100+ bugs. Wow. I am curious on how much wealth and people did you have and what difficulty was it.

Oh! It didn't start with 100+, started with around 30 ish maximum 40, but i postponed it at the time because i had half my "soldiers" in a caravan, and when they got home 4 days later it had almost doubled in size  :P

My colony wasn't that big, it was during its third year with just 14 colonists 148000 wealth total, hard difficulty

jchavezriva

Quote from: Rellik on July 13, 2018, 06:30:09 PM
Isn't the doomsday rocket launcher a little underpowered?

I had a big infestation next to my base 100+ insects and tried to get rid of it by using the doomsday rocket launcher, but all i got was a few bruises and shreds on the insects and my colony killed, the area of the explosion was huge, but I found the damage lacking for a weapon called "Doomsday"

IKR
I have been spamming this thread with almost the exact same complain.
The megaspiders are too OP.

Almost 2 times faster than people
Extremely bullet and explosion resistant.
Insane safe temperature limits.

If they are going to have such an impressive armor, shouldnt they be the slowest insect?

Boboid

Erm.. When was the last time you looked at a Megaspider's stats?

Humans move at 4.61/s
Megaspiders move at 4.25/s

They have 27% sharp and 18% blunt resist - This is.. pretty mediocre.
A Normal Heavy Fur Duster for example is 37% sharp resist.
A shotgun has 14% Ap and shotguns are garbage at dealing with armor.

Their shells have 75 health (Human torsos have 40) which is moderately tough but megaspiders also have significantly fewer body parts so the chance of hitting the Shell is 28% compared to the Torso's 19%.

They're just not THAT tough.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Serenity

It would be nice if chocolate didn't literally grow on trees, but that you just get beans and you need to cook them into chocolate. I know that's leaving out some steps, but plenty of things are simplified in this game.

SpaceDorf

What about the true and tested method of walling them in and throwing a molotov at them ?

In one of my first 1.0 tribal colonies I set up shop in a cavesystem. I managed to clear out the previous inhabitants but got a infestation half a year later.
I had no real research going at this time and no raiders to supply me with some decent weapons.
So I send out a one person caravan to a nearby village and bought a molotov coktail. The rest of my people reinforced the perimeter with stone walls.
3 days later I burned the hives down and the crawlies died in the heat.

The second smartest thing I did with that caravan was buing an EMP grenade.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

protobeard

Naked Brutality run on 1694 -- made it to day 34. Pirate raid comes in with two machine pistols and a couple revolvers. Things are going fine until one both of the machine pistol guys go god mode at the same time: on one side of my base a pirate shoots a machine pistol down a hallway and simultaneously hits two colonists hiding behind doors on different sides of the hallway in the torso. That's one effective volley.

On the other side of my base pirate two starts firing his machine pistol, and despite having a 4% hit chance, proceeds to hit my colonist multiple times in a row. And my colonist of course misses every shot.

Possible bug: one pirate ran straight up to a doorway and started punching a colonist -- colonist did not attempt to fight back in any way, just sat there and took punches until he went down (I thought he was fighting back, but no).

Too bad, I was hoping to try to tame the wild man that had wandered in a few days before. Next time.

isRyan

This fellow here died immediately upon receiving an infection, I am pretty sure this isn't supposed to happen.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Syrchalis

I sold an animal to an orbital trader and it later appeared as a wild animal again on my map. Intended?
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

jchavezriva

Quote from: Boboid on July 13, 2018, 07:11:39 PM
Erm.. When was the last time you looked at a Megaspider's stats?

Humans move at 4.61/s
Megaspiders move at 4.25/s

They have 27% sharp and 18% blunt resist - This is.. pretty mediocre.
A Normal Heavy Fur Duster for example is 37% sharp resist.
A shotgun has 14% Ap and shotguns are garbage at dealing with armor.

Their shells have 75 health (Human torsos have 40) which is moderately tough but megaspiders also have significantly fewer body parts so the chance of hitting the Shell is 28% compared to the Torso's 19%.

They're just not THAT tough.

Thats for unarmored colonists. Armored ones are around 2.5-3.5 /s. Guess "twice" was exagerated on my part.

I dont know which particular armor stat could be letting them survive so much shots, but try to spawn and kill them and you will see they are way harder to kill than in B18.  It definitely has something to do with the new rework on bullets.

Quote from: jchavezriva on July 12, 2018, 11:37:31 PM
I just did a test spawning 10 megaspiders and shooting them with a doomsday launcher.

Only one was killed, not a single one downed besides taht one.

The one that died had no missing parts or vital organs destroyed, so it was one of those cases in which an enemy dies out of no displayed reason.
Luck, in other words.

Are they meant to be this strong? Test was done on Hard.

And about explosions, i dont know if its the armor's or the rocket's fault, but this should not be happening even on extreme difficulty...

Azrael_Itaru

Just posted to say that I agree on the change to tree sowing. I used to do Boreal, Arid or Temperate Forest maps, I had to cut out Arid because when I tried to plant a field of trees, it took so long to get them all in the ground that it wasn't worth it, whatsoever and now I don't bother with even researching it. It's no longer viable and I refuse to touch any maps that don't naturally have trees.

Razzoriel

I never had any pet peeve during the previous versions that just struck me as much as tortoises deflecting firearm bullets. Not even close. I could understand if the SHELL deflected it (though its bone, not metal), but no, the entire tortoise has the armor of the entire shell, which makes zero sense. It does on rhinos and megaspiders, for instance, so i'd say its okay in those scenarios.