Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: mndfreeze on July 14, 2018, 09:57:37 AM
Tynan please for the love of the environment and the planet lower the time it costs to sow trees. lol.

I have pawns getting entire nights of sleep done before the guy who ran out to plant a last minute tree gets finished.  It's silly as as fook.

Maybe break tree sowing into phases so that a pawn can do a bit and then go for a break. Low-skill pawns are quite slow at doing things. Remember I told you about Lips, the guy who learned Construction from zero skill? Smoothing just one bit of wall or floor would take him ages.

robno

Yeah, it's really annoying spending an entire day planting a tree and then vomiting, meaning we have to start from scratch again.

I Am Testing This Game

Bad pawns are often very bad compared to good pawns. If you want to see us using more flawed pawns, maybe smooth out that difference, make bad pawns less bad.

Often it's not a small drop in efficiency, but a big drop, where the pawn becomes a liability, or relatively useless in his specialty role, due to his defect, for example because he automatically has a chance to fail and waste resources, that a healthy, lower skill pawn wouldn't have. Or because he has a chance to break at a good mood and wander into crossfire, with no way to counter it.

I'm quite happy to take a healthy, non-crazy pawn with low skills, but some ability to learn and be useful. They can serve as grunts to protect my valuable pawns and chip in around the base.

But a lot of pawns are much, much worse than that. Why would I take a pawn that makes me more likely to lose?

That's the pitfall associated with the current difficulty scaling method. Contrast with a difficulty scale based on time instead of wealth, where you might take a pawn who is only marginally useful, as better than nothing.

Here the pawn has to outweigh the difficulty increase caused by his presence.

Also keep in mind that external difficulty offers far more deep and complex gameplay than internal difficulty, because you are doing a lot of different things to plan and prepare for raids, then a lot of complex stuff to handle them when they arrive. But the methods for dealing with a glutton's mental break... don't exist. And mood management in general is a pretty simple aspect of the game.

alxddd

Quote from: Rulin on July 14, 2018, 12:06:44 PM

It would be great to use the Z-key to mine (harvest) stone and ores instead of L. It is a key you already use to harvest plants.
So why not streamlining the controls here to some extend? Imo you can also reach it better with your left hand, especially people with qwertz keyboards.

Thanks for listening!

best QoL suggestion I've seen in a long time. without really realizing it, having to cross the keyboard for that L-key is probably the most annoying keyboard shortcut I can think of in any game.

Injured Muffalo

Random grammatical note:

"Make sure that they get the best medical possible."

I wrote it down a couple of weeks ago, so you might have already found this.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Syrchalis

Quote from: iamomnivore on July 14, 2018, 10:55:03 AM
Quote from: robno on July 14, 2018, 04:17:31 AM
QoL thing:
Can the ground type (Soil etc.) be displayed even in the architect tab? It's sometimes quite hard to easily tell where rich soil is etc. and when designating growing zones or even planning buildings it would be helpful to see. I suggest moving the left-hand white text above the architect window temporarily (and therefore shrinking the inventory display area temporarily).

Seconded. This has been bothersome since I've been playing (quite a while.) I'd say it's a top 5 annoyance. Implementing something like Robno suggests would be ... Kreygasm.
Yes, thirdedededed.

Tynan please can you move the tile information from the bottom left corner up dynamically when opening the architect tab? It doesn't matter for the other tabs but when building the tile information is often very important. Having to close the menu every time to see this info is very bothersome.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Talys

Quote from: Oblitus on July 14, 2018, 01:29:20 PM
Quote from: Talys on July 14, 2018, 01:16:40 PM
Quote from: Tynan on July 14, 2018, 07:19:33 AM
[...]
This is the existing design; there's mood penaties for things like banishing or executing your own colonists, especially if they have relationships. We could push this aspect harder and design more around this, but it's just a matter of development time, really.
Not sure if you noticed it, but the "gifting" mechanism you introduced with the revamped faction relation system allows a way of not having any mood penalties for getting rid of colonists - probably just an oversight that you should either not be able to "gift" pawns itself or include a mood penalty.

Original post (with more details & steps to reproduce it) in the Bug Report section: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42480.0
Actually, this should be a feature. Rather than exiling pawns to nowhere drop them in friendly factions.
so you say launching a husband / lover / family member to a different faction should not get any mood hit to the remaining pawns?
It's VERY similar to selling a loved one / banishing a member - pawn becomes world pawn, if at all - it should come with a debuff

Sirsir

I generally haven't found much trouble getting useful pawns. Late in the game, if they can hold a gun, do some form of busywork, and aren't heavily self-destructive, they can find their way into my colony eventually. Early game I'm a bit more picky but I can usually find a way to make someone useful

Mostly what keeps pawns from entering my colony are certain Traits that can kill anyones plausibility. Particularly social issues, any Abrasive or sexist colonist has to be AMAZING to even be considered. Wimp is really bad. That and stacking, I've seen a few pawns with amazing stats and THREE bad traits.

I would like to see everyone have a good and a bad trait, and occasionally a 3rd thats either.

Syrchalis

I honestly would love if every trait had an up and downside. They don't have to be equal, but it would at least make all traits more interesting.

E.g. abrasive: pawn insults and slights more, but is also much less affected by getting insulted/slighted

It would still be a "bad" trait to have, create stories, but it would have an unequal upside at least.

And I think every single trait should have an upside. They don't need to have a downside, but if it fits it's really easy to implement: E.g. industrious -> pawn needs 10% more rest.

Another example: Pyromaniac, can't fight fires and sometimes goes on fire starting sprees, however they also sometimes set enemies on fire when fighting (incendiary bullets, torch etc. as explanation if anyone needs one).
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

jchavezriva

About the new changes on crop grow times and amount harvested...

I just wanted to mention that it has made survival WAY to easy.

With one unroofed rich soil spot that works 20 days a year, plus a couple roofed rich soil spots working 24/7 i can get this much food and keep supply stable effortlessly. I have used about a third of the rich soil avaliable on my base.

At this rate, i will be able to use ALL the rest for profit! Since it wont fit my decently big fridge, i will be able to sow and prepare the most expensive food and sell it all to caravans.

This map was not custom made somehow, its the biggest ludicrous playing on Hard.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Madman666

First - you won't make any real profit, cause traders for some weird reason lost their taste for most meal kinds. Second - how many colonists do you have? It might be too much for you now, but add a dozen of colonists, couple hauling dog squads and you ll have to expand your growing.

m44v

Wimps are pretty useful for collecting jelly inside infestations, they can even come back on their own with just minor injuries in the event that they wake up the nest. No rescue needed!

Anyway, I have a problem with chickens, or any egg laying animal since I believe this is common to them. If I'm short of food, and there's grass outside, I let all the herbivores out. Of course if you do that you increase the work of haulers and handlers, because they have to go out and find the pet and train it/shear/whatever, but chickens, their eggs default to forbidden and I have to scan the whole place unforbidding eggs so haulers can pick them, manually, every game day. Milk, wool and chemfuel in the same situation won't spawn forbidden so WHY?.

I realize the reason is that a pawn doesn't need to go and force the egg out of the chicken, and they're outside the home area. Still, those chickens *are* colony animals, so their eggs should default unforbidden and save me some annoying micro.

Quote from: Tass237 on July 13, 2018, 03:44:50 PM
Quote from: m44v on July 13, 2018, 01:37:14 PM
Opportunistic hauling seems to never kick in when I want it to, like when miners return to rest, I never saw them bring some of the ore with them.
That is probably because the target stockpile is too far from their bedroom (which is their new target location), so they don't haul as it would take them too far out of their way. Try putting a mined metals stockpile closer to the bedrooms (or freezer, if they are going for a meal instead).
Tried that, putting a zone stockpile near their beds or freezer doesn't work. I'm not going to guess how the algorithm works, I'm just gonna say that I find it underwhelming in the situations in want it to work the most (when saving long travel times).

Quote from: iamomnivore on July 14, 2018, 10:47:46 AM
Quote from: Oblitus on July 13, 2018, 10:50:16 PM
Quote from: Tass237 on July 13, 2018, 03:44:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that peg legs for animals were removed because it was too easy to gain Medical experience that way. Maybe if peg legs for animals came back, but didn't give Medical experience...
Why? Training medical skill on animals before humans is exactly how it is done IRL.
I'll throw my weight behind this. Medical skill building isn't exactly filled with opportunities. Especially, with the low experience gain on tending with no medicine. So, one would have to sacrifice a great deal, of medicine, to make much headway with this. Seems like it may be a fair balance. Any other thoughts on this experience, lately? I've tried training up medical by rescuing animals I've hunted and knocked down, tending them, and then eating them. It's a small pay-off, for the effort. Just started doing this in the last two versions, if that helps.

Honestly I just want to give back some mobility to my crippled dogs, I don't care about training medics, prisoners and unlucky colonists are for that. If peg legs giving no medical experience is what it takes for make that happen then sure, I'm okay with that. What happens IRL happens in IRL.
Also neutering, I just had to starve a bunch of boomalopes to force them to miscarry... and so many dead puppies, think of the puppies!

jchavezriva

Well maybe not meals, but beer could do the trick. Unlimited joy and a little profit for pretty much no effort...

Im with 11 active colonists, i could feed 11 more with just one more growing zone, or maybe half one.

Not that im against this new changes, but it made my "Hard" gameplay so relaxing i figured i should let Tynan know.

Broken Reality

Eggs have to be forbidden when laid as they could be fertile. Would you want your haulers to take fertile eggs you want to hatch to the freezer all the time because they were laid unforbidden and they they are now infertile eggs? Also you can just drag the unforbid tool across your paddock once a day no need to find and click the eggs individually.

Lanilor

Quote from: Broken Reality on July 14, 2018, 05:01:01 PM
Eggs have to be forbidden when laid as they could be fertile. Would you want your haulers to take fertile eggs you want to hatch to the freezer all the time because they were laid unforbidden and they they are now infertile eggs? Also you can just drag the unforbid tool across your paddock once a day no need to find and click the eggs individually.

You can just forbid eggs in your freezers stockpiles settings. Forbidding eggs by default also prevents colonists from hauling them to a safe breeding room. You can even just disallow fertile eggs in the freezer and let them still store unfertilized ones there.