Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizzi

Finally launched the ship today, 540 days into my save file! Cassandra medium, default 3 colonist start, and a temperate forest with a river running through it so I could test out the new watermill generators.

I prepared for the 15 days of hell by installing turrets and IEDs in two chokepoints that I have in my perimeter wall to funnel in raiders. I also installed turrets inside my actual base in the event of drop pods into the center of my base. I also stockpiled a bunch of psychic lances to deal with any rocket launcher wielders or sappers. All colonists were equipped with power armor helmets, and my best shooters also got power armor suits.

With all the preparations I made, the ending sequence was still pretty tough, but I never felt like it was unmanageable. I got 7 raids (plus an infestation) throughout those 15 days, averaging out to 1 raid every 2 days. Additionally, half my colonists caught the flu, and another with muscle parasites, and I had to deal with an extreme psychic drone. There were mental breaks abound, but usually they were during downtimes between raids.

Out of my 21 colonists, I was able to launch all of them! I technically did have one death... from a friendly fire sniper turret (doh!). Those things have amazing single target damage, but things can go really wrong if friendly fire is involved. Thankfully, I was able to patch him up with a resurrector mech serum after the fight ended. I did have a super close call with one of my colonists almost getting kidnapped, but I blew an insanity lance and two shock lances on her would-be kidnappers. Fortunately, this bought enough time for one of my colonists to come rescue her.

And additionally, here's my wealth graph, if this of any interest. I used up about 2000 out of my original 4000 steel stockpiled, along with a bunch of uranium and plasteel. Since my wealth was dropping pretty rapidly throughout the time period, the raids in the last couple of days were pretty easy compared to the initial storm.

Thanks again Tynan for this fantastic experience! Now time to try it again... maybe I'll do an ice sheet this time.  :D

Oblitus

Mini-turrets are nerfed again? A mad gazelle attacked two of them and managed to destroy one.

Yoshida Keiji

This is a minuscule detail but..."Unhappy Nudity" when a pawn is changing clothes is unnecessary. It's a few seconds notification, but better if you give it some delay so it doesn't clog the envelope column at the right.

Kubouch

I want to leave some experience-based feedback on the colonist usefulness and internal vs. external threats. Playing on Cassandra Medium, Rich Explorer scenario, started around the build 1950, population 11, 212 days old, 0 deaths so far.

I feel like the game is really pushing me to get new colonists. Recently, I got 3 "Wanderer joins" events (banished one wake-up addict). I remember havine more of these earlier, too. Before that I got 3 escape pods and took 2 (see my population graph). I'm trying to keep my colony compact but despite that, it somehow grew to 11 without me trying to do anything and even rejecting some people. It seems like I always get somebody - sooner or later - and the number is high enough  that I can really afford to reject pawns I don't like. I feel like there is nothing pushing me to recruit or keep useless pawns. Maybe changing the flow of the recruits (i.e. more rescue quests and less "zero-cost" recruits such as escape pods and joined wanderers) would make players to take even the less ideal candidates and actually make some effort to get more pawns.

Also I found out I never really use the Social tab and don't pay much attention to the relations between colonists. There were social fights, marriages, breakups, affairs, etc. which is fun but it's all random and there is nothing for me to do about it (maybe keeping colonist mood/joy up prevents social fights, idk). Therefore I just concentrate on building the colony and defending against external threats. I think the social part would be much more interesting if players could somehow influence it. Like appointing leaders and using them to resolve conflicts between colonists, for example. The relations and social system seems pretty deep and it's fun to read through the Social tab but there is no incentive for players to actualy open it and take action.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Tynan

Thanks for the ongoing feedback everyone!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Syrchalis

I need to agree with the above - social relationships matter too little in Rimworld. Tynan, you said you wanted more internal threats, internal drama, internal gameplay. The relationships between colonists are a huge hole right now which could be filled with things to provide more internal gameplay.

There isn't even a mood buff or debuff if a colonist is well liked, disliked - or from the other perspective, a mood impact for being among friends or being among rivals.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

TrashMan

Quote-Insects will now go into hypothermic slowdown instead of getting hypothermia

So the type of creature most vulnerable to cold is more resistant to cold than mammals? Why would you do this?

Madman666

Quote from: TrashMan on July 15, 2018, 07:08:18 AM
So the type of creature most vulnerable to cold is more resistant to cold than mammals? Why would you do this?

Cause you could freeze those pests, which doesn't leave much chance to drama and tragedy we all like so much. Plus its to make them viable for colder climate biomes too.

Serenity

That also ties into stuff like "disfigured". Even if people are friends and have known each other for years, they'll suddenly hate someone who had his ear shot off. That would be a harsh opinion even towards a stranger

Oblitus

Quote from: Syrchalis on July 15, 2018, 06:44:24 AM
I need to agree with the above - social relationships matter too little in Rimworld. Tynan, you said you wanted more internal threats, internal drama, internal gameplay. The relationships between colonists are a huge hole right now which could be filled with things to provide more internal gameplay.

There isn't even a mood buff or debuff if a colonist is well liked, disliked - or from the other perspective, a mood impact for being among friends or being among rivals.
I feel that Psychopath would become a mandatory trait for a successful colony should anything be done in that direction.

Syrchalis

Quote from: Serenity on July 15, 2018, 07:16:22 AM
That also ties into stuff like "disfigured". Even if people are friends and have known each other for years, they'll suddenly hate someone who had his ear shot off. That would be a harsh opinion even towards a stranger
To a stranger I think it's normal - I mean that isn't the open "said out loud" opinion of the pawns, it's what they think. If I see someone disfigured I wouldn't tell him he is ugly or even mention the issue, but I would probably have negative feelings when I see him/her, either because it looks unpleasant, I have pity or I fear something like this could happen to me (just examples).
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Ra66itInc

Hey add a stealth system which manipulates a pawn's field of vision drastically, especially in dark areas. This is crucial in hunting, raiding, or using guerrilla tactics when being raided.
:D
Thanks for listenening!
Howdy! Care for a glass of go-juice?

RemingtonRyder

Quote from: Ra66itInc on July 15, 2018, 08:42:32 AM
Hey add a stealth system which manipulates a pawn's field of vision drastically, especially in dark areas.

And of course, simulating when pawns blink means we'll be able to do a Weeping Angels mod.

alxddd

I had what might be a bug where some of my stockpiles didn't have an Allow Rotten option to check or uncheck, and others did. Let me know if you need a file or if I'm just missing something.

Jstank

Quote from: Tynan on July 14, 2018, 11:27:18 AM
One thing to bear in mind regarding pawn usefulness: I'll always try to keep the game balanced. So if difficulty was added to one area by making more pawns with problems (or other internal colony/survival challenges), difficulty would be removed from other areas (e.g. toning down raids).

It's not about just making the game harder by adding more pawn selection challenges, it's about shifting the difficulty that's there from massive raid defense towards internal management.

All that said, I've no concrete plans to change anything on this soon, there's a lot more immediate things to solve for 1.0.

Wait what? So what your saying is that there are more things to work on AFTER 1.0 comes out?
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux