Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mndfreeze

Not a fan of the increased difficulty on the events to save someone be chased who joins you.   Events to get more pawns already feel lessened to me and in the early game when you need more people the most some of the raids that follow said pawn of questionable usability have been devastating.

TREE SOWING NEEDS TO BE FASTER PLZ! :D  I'm fine with choco tree's being slow, just not the normal ones :(

Madman666

As i've noticed, caravans leaving your map now automatically change their expectations to very low now. Thats really nice. My next suggestion would be to allow us to craft or buy some kind of portable games, like cards, dominos and small chess boards you could take on your journey, so when resting colonists could use those to fulfill their recreation.

Oblitus

Got a pirate raid. After taking few losses got "pirates are fleeing" message, but they are not fleeing. They scattered attacking and burning random buildings. Again, totally ignoring me shooting them.

We all know that they are here just to cause damage and are 100% disposable, but that's just giving up any pretense of having any sense, really.

Madman666

I think i found a bug in a new "What a trader will buy" tab. It shows an outlander city is ready to buy all kinds of meals, while in reality when i came there with 100 lavish meals to sell - i have no option to do so (it doesn't even show that i have those lavish meals in trade menu). I can't either sell or gift them.

On that note - Tynan, please allow trading in meals, chemfuel, furniture and other things back. Its really weird that bulk goods trader caravan won't buy even survival meals. That change was absolutely unneeded. Real trade shouldn't be nearly as limited and neutered. I understand pirate or combat traders not being interested in beds or meals, but bulk goods traders should really be. Thats really not how trade should work. It just limits you to selling either stone art (because wood has been brutally destroyed) or drugs to make money, which feels rather boring.

jchavezriva

200 days into ludicrous, Hard, Boreal forest gameplay.

Issues regarding "broken game design" sure exist but its not anything so dramatic.

It is mostly about stupid AI:

1. Sappers trying to dig in a mountain, that has an open path just besides the digging spot, but neither that or the path they are trying to carve actually lead to my base. Only to a massive hive.

2. Some raiders could follow the open path that lead directly to my base, but instead they just go to the same hive, which is blocked by a 4 squares thick wall from my base.

Cant think of anything else for now. Everything else seem to have performed normally.

Another big issue not regarding ludicrous breaking game design is insect's reaction to fire. I set on fire a nearby tree, so that it would expand to their hive and kill them without me attacking directly. They got triggered anyway.

That is quite dangerous since if another group of raiders come and set on fire their hive, i will get a 180 (not exagerating) non-stop insect assault and that WILL be a colony wipe. This is a situation that BEGS the player to save-scum.

Also, performance is totally broken when playing at x3 speed but mostly because of the 30 Hive infestation.
If not for that and my shitty i5-4440 processor, it would work almost normally.

NoQ

I'm having no trade ships at all in 2-3 years after i built my comms console. It might be just Randy (hard), but it's way longer than the usual gap, so i suspect it might be a bug.

Edit: Nvm, got a ship, everything works.

NotTheMattGuy

I recently purchased Rimworld and became a fast addict... I do not know if this issue is new to 1.0, but I have located something odd:

Rough Hewn Stone and Rough (stonetype) floors do not seem to get dirty, ever.

I started a new game over the weekend and it still seems to be the case. I have a 5x5 Kitchen dug into a cliffside, 3 floor tiles are wood (covered dirt that was showing). The 3 wood tiles are the ONLY floors in the kitchen to get -any- dirt/trash/filth/etc on them. The only exception which seems to actually dirty the natural stone ground is blood from animals/butchering (My butcher station is a room next to my kitchen).

I have been able to reproduce the clean-kitchen effect in various versions of the 1.0 beta thus far. As much as I appreciate not getting food poisoning every single day, I thought this issue was worth bringing up!

Also, sorry! I'm a bit long-winded (long-typed?) for a noob!

tl;dr

in 1.0 natural stone ground tiles do not seem to get dirty.

Serenity

Quote from: mndfreeze on July 15, 2018, 01:23:32 PM
I'm fine with choco tree's being slow, just not the normal ones :(

Making chocolate more difficult to get is better balanced by having a bit of a production chain. Like having to cook cocoa beans at the stove by a cook.
In reality making chocolate is quite complicated. The beans are fermented to make them less bitter (and that's just the first step). The game could actually do that with the beer barrels. But that's probably too involved. Just "cooking" them would work though to add extra time

Yoshida Keiji

I just had a "Zzztt..." event on a power line under stone walls, there was a standard Standing Lamp next to it, so it caught fire. Im fine with that. But then when the standing lamp started to burn the room temperature rose +5C within a 6x7 bedroom. I know you want overheating when theres an internal fire...but that was crazy. The fire got put off right away thanks to my carefully managed work tab and proximity of my colonists but the rise of temperature was awkward.

fritzgryphon

Quote from: Madman666 on July 15, 2018, 02:33:09 PM
please allow trading in meals, chemfuel, furniture and other things back.

Unless something changed in last update, you can still sell lavish and packaged meals to exotic traders.  Bulk traders will still buy clothing, furniture and chemfuel. 

Clothing is a good choice now, as the work per piece was reduced, but kept the same value.  Devilstrand duster has a market value of 650, but takes 1/2 the time of a large sculpture.

Madman666

I had a bulk goods caravan, that didn't want to buy neither chemfuel, nor several beds. I ll check it once more. And i also traveled to a settlement which actually didn't want to buy lavish meals at all, despite the tab saying they will.

I dislike the idea of only exotic caravans buying meals and only survival or lavish ones. Feels wrong. If the reason behind is that simple meals for example don't last long - then why exactly bulk goods guys happily buy off the meat, which will spoil even faster? Or lavish meals which spoil just the same. I fail to grasp the logic. You should be able to sell little less than everything you have, save for stones and corpses to bulk goods (and even raiders you can chop up and sell as meat weirdly enough), those are more or less "general things" merchants. Otherwise the answer to successful trade is only drugs really - all kinda of caravans buy those, from combat ones to bulk goods and exotic, grow those and you won't miss.

I d really like the system to allow selling everything to anyone, but with huge markup difference, so selling things to the "right kind" was profitable, while selling it to "wrong" trader could allow to quickly scrounge for some silver, even though losing some of item's worth, to buy that one thing you like a lot, but don't have enough silver to afford.

mcduff

Quote from: Madman666 on July 15, 2018, 01:50:47 PM
As i've noticed, caravans leaving your map now automatically change their expectations to very low now. Thats really nice. My next suggestion would be to allow us to craft or buy some kind of portable games, like cards, dominos and small chess boards you could take on your journey, so when resting colonists could use those to fulfill their recreation.
+1 on this, it's great to see small improvements like this being implemented from feedback.

As regards some of the earlier discussion re pawns etc, I would also like to add support for the "more carrot than stick" approach to colonist relations.

What I've noticed is that I rarely check out my pawn's social tabs to see who is friends with whom. It would be great to see some positive buffs from having a lot of friends/negatives from having too many rivals.

It would also be nice to see something like a "cohesive" or "close knit" colony-wide buff. If you have a small group of pawns who've been together for a while it would make sense for them to feel close to each other and get a positive buff from being around each other. It would also mean that adding a whole bunch of new pawns would bring that mood down because it suddenly disrupts that friendship group.

It would be good to have reasons to check out to see how your pawns are getting along and to see if there are any disruptive elements that are doing more harm than good.

Some other things that would be interesting:

Make it so that the "refugee" event can spawn more than one pawn, for eg a pair of lovers or friends. This would be interesting because you could end up with, say, a great doctor and her depressive, alcoholic husband or something.

If there's a relationship in another clan, make it so that pawns could decide they want to go join them. This could be where a pawn asks to join you, or also where one of your pawns wants to leave to go be with their relations, perhaps with a mechanic where you can ask the other faction if they would be willing to let that pawn come over instead.

Dashthechinchilla

The current plant gen is still a bit low. I can still safely hunt boomrats and Boomalopes in the temperate maps. By safely, I mean I can kill the animal, grab it's corpse without much risk of being set on fire, and the resulting conflagration will be pretty much contained to that area of the map. I am no longer afraid that boom animals will burn the map down in a forest. I used to only hunt these animals when it was raining, and openly hunt them in the arid and desert biomes where the fire wouldn't spread.

Also, grenades dont say in the combat log who threw them. I had a rats gone wild on the map event. I had forgotten one of my colonists was carrying grenades. A moment after the last rat died, a mysterious explosion killed one of my colonists. It took me a few min to figure out that the shredding had come from the grenades, and not the local boomalope. The only note in the game from the specific thing that killed them was that they were shredded and died from it.

JohnLG

Does it seem to anyone else that enemies desire to attack doors is quite a bit lower in 1.0?  Especially with manhunter packs, even if I go out and take some shots at them, I'll get one animal beating on the door for a couple seconds before giving up.  I remember in previous versions they'd be super pissed and keep banging on it for quite a while, which made manhunter packs a lot more of a challenge to deal with.  This is the first time I haven't had to actively repair doors to keep them from breaking when trying to pick off a manhunter pack.  Not saying it's a bad thing, but that's been my experience. 

I also noticed that enemies often seem to get confused and freeze up for a second or two when they lose sight of their target.  This started a few patches ago I think in 1.0.  Only noticed due to peeking in and out of doors a lot. 

Quote from: NotTheMattGuy on July 15, 2018, 03:19:31 PM
I recently purchased Rimworld and became a fast addict... I do not know if this issue is new to 1.0, but I have located something odd:

Rough Hewn Stone and Rough (stonetype) floors do not seem to get dirty, ever.

My current playthrough is in the mountains, and I'll tell you that the natural stone was getting completely filthy all the time.  Are you sure your pawns haven't just had ample time to clean and you haven't noticed it?  Maybe it's a real issue that doesn't affect everyone for whatever reason though.

Franklin

Quote from: Tynan on July 14, 2018, 05:06:14 AMAs for the point, handling flawed useless people is part of the game. RimWorld is not intended to be an RTS. If you want a game where every unit is a fungible optimized robot, there are some great RTSs I can recommend. However, if you want a game with dynamic characters and generated story, that means some of the characters will be more useful than others, and some will be worse than useless, just as people are in stories. It means many of the problems you face will come from inside your group, not outside, just as in stories. In truth I'd like to turn RW more in this direction, because as we've discussed here, external attacks are still far too big a part of the game. There average pawn in this game really should be worse than they are, and many more should be entirely useless (and I mean actually useless, not, "he can only research and art" useless).
I just wanted to say, thanks for this approach to your game. A lot of us fell in love with the game, not because it's a needs-juggling RTS, but because of the challenges that come with making a bunch of flawed people work together towards something. That there's enjoyment is chaos and failure.

A good chunk of the top-downloaded mods out there are glorified min/max toolkits, used to maximize pawn strengths, and minimize their flaws. Clearly many enjoy playing this way, with grinding towards a fleet of perfected robots, but a lot of us enjoy the flawed internal turmoil that comes with having to host a bunch of lazy assholes.

I'd love to see the game take less of a combat-focused direction, but so far there are plenty of settings to satisfy more internal-focused stories so I can't complain, and I thank you for that.