Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emulsion

Quote from: Tynan on July 16, 2018, 05:32:56 AM
Relations debuff from EMPing people is just a bug, don't worry we'll fix it.

Thank you!

Also, I'd like to have 'repair' as an extra column in the work tab again, like it was in A16 I think. This way everybody would be served, the ones who complained about it being higher priority than building walls for example and also the ones like me who have to wait like forever for anything to get repaired if they don't want to micromanage this.
On phoebe, that's alright because there's a lot of time to do things between raids but otherwise I'd really need my sandbags and walls repaired as soon as there's time.

But I'll install fluffy's worktab mod anyway when final release is ready so maybe it's not really an issue ;-)

Regarding that: I'd really need more numbers in the priority tab, at least five, probably more. But for me the worktab mod is mandatory anyways so yeah..doesn't matter really, lol

Ser Kitteh

You know, it only occurred to me, that after trying to fend off a psychic ship with 11 scythers/lancers + 4 centipedes do I now comprehend how difficult mechanoids have truly become.

Wealth is 189k.
348 days in (so nearly 6 years).
Cassandra Rough. Swamp.

I have 5 dedicated melee fighters in a colony of 16, the rest being shooters (all with ARs). However, I find out considering that 4 of the shooters have decent melee skill, I equipped them with steel spears and old charge belts so the number of attackers for the ship are 9 melee fighters and 5 shooters, and 2 emp grenadiers.

It was a lot easier than just standing back to shoot. Charging with spearmen seems the superior way with shooters as backup. I think a big part of the problem is that, despite having 3 additional EMP weapons, only 1 is viable: the grenades.

You can't build too closely a ship because it spawns the mechanoids. So EMP IEDs are useless. You can't use EMP mortars because mortars are very inaccurate. So what's the reason of giving us two additional EMP weapons but only one works? I guess I could rely on those fancy autocannons ... if they were close enough to the base.

Idk how long the spear meta will be because it's extremely powerful, it's gonna get nerfed at some points. But until that day comes they get the nerf, I fear for the colonists of the Rim.

Gadfly

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198393088779/screenshots/?appid=0&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=grid

Steam folder with screenshots from research, fun thingy and wealth after my first three years, plus a couple with my pawns in action.

After each year I take these.

Randy rough, tribal tundra.

Emulsion

After I wrote about my feeling of missing ioportunities to recruit someone, an escape pod dropped :-)

I encountered a fault in the text when resistance was broken:

My warden Xia Xue was trying to recruit Upgrade and it told me:
"Prisoner Xia Xue's resistance has been broken by Upgrade.." Doesn't look like he took her hostage to get free (even though it'd be funny) so I guess the names have just been confused.

Venatos

Quote from: Tynan on July 13, 2018, 10:54:48 AM
[quote author=mndfreeze link=topic=41766.msg418288#msg418288
Tynan I'm still having issues with people dying from things before it hits 100 when I'm beating it and treatment is occuring. First it was the infection I posted a few pages back, now its plague.

I need a savegame from just before this happens, can you or anyone else supply one?

Thanks.
[/quote]
there is a bugthread about this with a savegame:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41941.msg412622#msg412622
its actually not a bug (as in error), but so confusing and hidden, that most players never find out on their own what happened.
it realy needs to be better communicated to the player, or changed slightly as to not kill pawns that are well on their way of beating an infection.
my suggestions where: include low efficiency percentages trigger a medical emergency alert, so the player actually knows that the colonist is in danger of dieing.
or change the "minus X% eff." stat of the infection to a "max eff. = Y%" stat.

Bolgfred

The number based relation scale for Factions is quite binary. If they are very positive, they are allied, if they are very negative they are hostile... but inbetween there is a big grey nothing.
In the past I didn't really care much about them as they didn't change much, but now as relations get more important it's bugging me. E.g. I just got visited by a Trader whose faction is -50 standing with me - I expected a raiding party, not a Gheed on tour.

I wish there could be some more meaningful classifications on the current state which give more of an idea what to expect from a faction.

A simple implementation could look like this:
Green numbers give a chance of positive effects like traders and combat support, whilst the red numbers cause smaller or bigger raids:
I put this on more detail in a new Topic >>here<<.

Allied (91 to 100)
Conjoined(61 to 90)
Friendly (30 to 60)
Cautious (30 to -30)
Unfriendly (-31  to -60)
Hostile ( -61 to -90)
War! (-91 to -100)
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

mcduff

Just a simple thing: leather items seem to wear out very quickly, given that in real life leather stuff can last for years and years. My pawns can go through a rhino leather or elephant leather duster in a year's work even without seeing much combat. Am I just missing something about durability or are these things degrading at the same rate as cotton?

Oblitus

Quote from: mcduff on July 16, 2018, 08:18:03 AM
Just a simple thing: leather items seem to wear out very quickly, given that in real life leather stuff can last for years and years. My pawns can go through a rhino leather or elephant leather duster in a year's work even without seeing much combat. Am I just missing something about durability or are these things degrading at the same rate as cotton?
Wearing apparel depletes its hit points. And vanilla textile category stuff has no hp modifiers. It can be cloth, devilstrand or hyperweave - it's all the same.

Sirsir

Quote from: robno on July 16, 2018, 04:45:39 AM
Quote from: JohnLG on July 16, 2018, 04:34:44 AM
Here's my adaptation graph/base setup.  It's on Cassandra extreme with naked brutality start.  I've had one relationship/marriage form during the run and one death (you can probably guess who the death was).  Some of the recent raids have been pretty intimidating, and their strategy of often splitting up has probably been the only thing preventing me from taking more losses.  I think the last raid outnumbered me 28 to 11 and had 3 or 4 doomsday/triple rocket launchers and a bunch of power armor.  I need to get some power armor, I've been kinda lazy about certain things and couldn't get research started until like a year into the game.

One thing I don't like about this arid shrubland I'm in is how barren it is.  There's only a few pieces of grass and not a single wild tree despite me not having harvested any in two years.  I feel like this biome used to have a lot more plant life in the past.

Yeah, my last 1.0 playthrough was arid shrubland and there are barely any trees. Given the long tree planting time, the only way to survive was to get two exceptional growers; I don't think you could easily survive without a 10+ growing skill. I feel like this biome (which used to be one of the easiest) is now much closer to desert difficulty. That may not be undesired, but I think it's one of the favourites (its aesthetic fits with the original RimWorld feel) and this might put people off who aren't used to full-time forestry. The cold biomes (I've tried Cold bog) seem comparatively much easier than the hot.

Note: my arid playthrough was with naked brutality, but a tribal (Cassandra Rough). This drastically increases the wood needs (for the cold box and the fuel for a stove) but also allows planting from the start. I'm not sure how it would be for NB with an outlander start.

On power: in general, if you have a river start, you are foolish not to use as many water mills as possible. It avoids all of the cost, research and risk of batteries, which are required to make wind turbines viable. However, I haven't fully experienced the larger exclusion boundary, so that might have changed things.

In general on treeless maps you want to get/start stonecutting ASAP. NB runs can't really be used as a baseline, they have a high chance to fall over dead on maps with no natural healroot.

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 16, 2018, 07:27:51 AM
You know, it only occurred to me, that after trying to fend off a psychic ship with 11 scythers/lancers + 4 centipedes do I now comprehend how difficult mechanoids have truly become.

Wealth is 189k.
Cassandra Rough. Swamp.

I have 5 dedicated melee fighters in a colony of 16, the rest being shooters (all with ARs). However, I find out considering that 4 of the shooters have decent melee skill, I equipped them with steel spears and old charge belts so the number of attackers for the ship are 9 melee fighters and 5 shooters, and 2 emp grenadiers.

It was a lot easier than just standing back to shoot. Charging with spearmen seems the superior way with shooters as backup. I think a big part of the problem is that, despite having 3 additional EMP weapons, only 1 is viable: the grenades.

You can't build too closely a ship because it spawns the mechanoids. So EMP IEDs are useless. You can't use EMP mortars because mortars are very inaccurate. So what's the reason of giving us two additional EMP weapons but only one works? I guess I could rely on those fancy autocannons ... if they were close enough to the base.

Idk how long the spear meta will be because it's extremely powerful, it's gonna get nerfed at some points. But until that day comes they get the nerf, I fear for the colonists of the Rim.

Meleeing mechs seems to have become the best way. Even with blunt weapons you're just better off being up front and personal than giving the ranged ones a chance to fire their weapons, and the melee ones are so tanky you aren't gonna likely to get them downed before they get to you, so you have to be prepared to fight them on their terms anyway

Jumper

First run through 1.0 on Randy Hard.

Started the games a few days ago so the build has changed a few times since i started.

for context i have been playing for a few months and on about 600+ hours (some offline so do not know the figures). all vanilla experience in previous games

Some of the changes have added so much to the game, well done to Tynan to listening to the feedback.

My first impressions are that the raids and difficulty of hard is very well paced.

Immediate things that stand out as really good changes

-Wildlife tab
-assign cooks/crafters
-take to specific stock piles
-research is so much better, i have previously researched everything and been nowhere near ready to build the ship. The speed of this seems so much better.
-tailoring material types
-the armour system is much better
-faction changes
-delivering resources and opportunistic hauling are amazing

Issues / bugs / thoughts

1) The water wheel north or south placement looks odd, the wheel seems to have a top down view but the building is angled. east/west looks awesome

2) Lots of food poisoning, now yes it will be more prevalent in the wild but this is a lot. I seem to have someone with food poisoning every couple of days with 5 colonists.

3) Romance text is slightly off, having a place holder in the wrong place. "pawn x charmed pawn x by ......... pawn y rejected the advance"
also "tried to flirt with" and tried to romance. This shows in the log of the person being flirted with but correctly for the flirter.

4) waterwheel and wind turbine feel like they should need to be researched

5) a wanderer joins with no choice. if someone turns up I should at least get the option to say thanks but no thanks.

6) on that note i always find it strange you can see raider / visitor (any non colonist really) social and character details, when i see someone in the street i don't instantly know they are good with ranged combat or can cook like master chef. Having this stuff hidden would make choices of who to capture / kill a lot more challenging and less "gamey". Can we have an option in settings to hide non colonist details ?

6) Another one that seems a bit odd is not being able to lock a door, visitors turning up to trade and just wandering into your bedroom is just weird. We can build a spaceship but cant lock a door ? instead of forbid yes/no, maybe open/colonist only/forbidden or colonist forbid and visitor forbid as separate options.

7)married pawns both get malaria. turn the double bed into medical. they are both still sleeping in the bed but both get the debuff "want to sleep with x"
i expect the check is if they have a shared bed assigned to them which they didnt. would they care if they were ill ?
assigning a double bed back to them and separate medical beds debuff goes away. that is a bit mad but has a programming logic.

8)pawn sick in bed with malaria. only weakened movement, manipulation, etc. alerts me they are starving. but they have a meal in their gear inventory.

9)just found that when cutting stone block with the do until you have x option, if i select the blocks stockpile i created it does npt pick up any blocks but does if i select anywhere. the stockpile had over 100 of the blocks i was making. deleting and recreating the stockpile made no difference.

Will report back with anything else

Syrchalis

Quote from: Jumper on July 16, 2018, 09:10:10 AM
1) The water wheel north or south placement looks odd, the wheel seems to have a top down view but the building is angled. east/west looks awesome

Agreed, throw your artists into a room and let them figure out if they can improve that.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Lanilor

I just started a new game this patch and got RNGed like crazy. (Naked start, cassandra extreme, arid, small hills). That is how randomness works, but in such extreme cases it doesn't feel good anymore. And I mean in both direction:

- Day 2, 2 ship chunks + day 5, 4 ship chunks. I now have 51 components and all the early challenge from this is gone
- Food poisoning: 3rd time on day 8 now. My colonist has 1 cooking, so this is ok. What annoys me is that she started to eat a meal and at 90% it got canceled because of vomiting. 3 times in a row.
- Already got 2 mental breaks from the smallest risk (hide in room and daze). I dislike the minor mental breaks because they are basicly "This colonist is now useless until he breaks down from no rest". The stronger mental breaks add spice to the game/story and are kinda fun to deal with, while this is just boring and too long of just "nothing". She got the current break right after sleeping so she is now running around for 20 hours and I just sit there on max speed and wait it out. That is sure a larger problem with having only one or a few colonists, but the break could still be more interesting.
- First raid my colonist had an awful shortbow, shot an arrow to the raider, hit the brain, onehit. Fight won. Well, I can live with that, nothing bad here, just amusing to get even more RNGed. Same with an ambrosia sprout on day 7.
This rum sure starts interesting. I guess it really is more random and less related to the latest changes, so I'll just see what happens next.

- When pawns vomit on rough stone (from food poisoning) there is no vomit on the ground afterwards. On soil and sand there is. A bug?
- Cacti giving 20 wood for growing this fast feels way too strong and unrealistic/weird compared to the other trees. I am only harvesting wild ones and haven't planted trees myself, so maybe it isn't that strong for farming because of the long sow time. Still the wild cacti I have a way less wood pshortage than I expected.

Nothing to see on my graphs. I will post them when I'm longer in the game.

I also have a small side comment for the mod menu: If someone loads a 1.0 mod in B18, it say the mod is outdated although it is too new. I guess that's the reason why I get around one comment each day where someone wants my 1.0 mods updated "to the latest version" and they mean B18. There even is a big version number saying "1.0" on steam, people just don't read. I guess there isn't really a solution other then somehow hammering in peoples brains to read descriptions. It's partly because there was never an official announcement for 1.0 on steam but we can already upload mod for it. Altough I understand the why there was non. So yeah, if it's easy to add a different message for this case in the B18 version, we modders would be happy. Otherwise ignore it, this problem will solve itself with the official release. Have a good day and keep on with the great work.

--

Edit: The mental break is now finished. It was 28 ingame hours watching my pawn walking in daze. This was just boring and not fun at all. As I said it's too long "nothing happens".

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 16, 2018, 07:27:51 AM

Wealth is 189k.
Cassandra Rough. Swamp.

Solution: Chained IEDs

Do note that I got "Solar Flare" just as I was about to engage but had built three mini-turrets of plasteel as expendables, first line of defense. More to come in my Story: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41782.0 But basically, STUN mechanoids fast, take down their Scythers and then Inferno Cannons. This is my first ever Crashed Ship Part that smashes my walls. Two more Scythers spawned on the outer side together with a Charge Blaster and an Inferno Cannon. Their split, my advantage.

First build Explosive IEDs, their explosion shall trigger any other IED, preferably EMP IEDs to catch any fast moving Scyther.

Ser Kitteh

That's actually pretty smart! I'll consider trying it at some point. Are there any differences in stun time between EMP grenades, mines, and mortal shells?

Yoshida Keiji

I don't have a solid answer as to tell you there is only "one" way, mostly because it's all circumstantial. A lot depends on what colonists you have and where the CSP lands. One of my melee guys was manning a mortar already aimed at the ship and on "Hold Fire", but I didn't need it.

If in your game, you have more than one mortar, I would choose to do "Volley", which means: Preemptively load and shoot EMPs simultaneously so that they are already "mid-air" before you pop the mechanoids, so that once they spawn they get instantly hit by the mortar shells. This method is of frequent use to me, specially when around 35% or more of my colonists are melee.

The advantage of the EMP grenades is that they are "unlimited". In this particular scenario, you cant see all my pawns as they are outside the frame, but they were all "long-ranged" and less powerful. Contrary to wielding shotguns and frag grenades. But with this set up, I managed to take down 3 scythers and was already hitting at the others, so my impression is that even if those 5 scythers were to have spawned in the inside of my base, I still would have had time to finish them off, or at least slow them down enough to the point that you can kite them. So long as you build some walls to obstruct Lancers LoS, you should be fine.

To be honest mines were the least I used to use myself, but I think v1.0 made them more relevant now, probably Tynan just getting lucky than WAD.

The only cons of the grenades is that you need to keep track of the throwers, once their target is stunned, you need to cancel their "firing" or else the mechanoids will get adapted and if their first grenade misses and you blocked their firing, you will need to unblock them so that they throw another grenade, losing a few seconds of fight that could prove crucial to stun them, but I had all my colony except the cook as back ups with Assault Rifles, Bolt action rifles and 1 sniper. And a gladius melee in case the EMP IEDS failed, which they didn't so its a happy ending.

Having said all this, I would use the stuns to handle the fragile ones, Scythers and Lancers due to their low armor, and leave the Centipedes to last. The bigs ones shouldn't be of much trouble without their shock troops.