Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

Heh, there goes spear meta :P

And yuup, don't look down on medium.

Polder

The increased revenge chance on elephants is very noticable and a plan B for dealing with an enraged elephant horde is definitely required. Out of two hunting attempts, both resulted in an enraged horde. Maybe this was just bad luck but it seems that the chance of this happening increased as well. When going big game hunting, multiple layers of doors, preferably of something more durable than wood are recommended. On the other hand, when an entire horde comes knocking on the door, one can easily generate several thousand silver worth in goods (counting meat, leather, tusks).

lauri7x3

i still get caravans that only stop way outside my base borders to trade...
sometimes they even go through one entrance, pass my base just to position themselves the other entrance....
its annoying

Serenity

Maybe prisoners should prefer being housed together rather than in solitary. Within reason at least. Maybe take the room size and divide it by the number of prisoners. Then they can complain if your cells are too crowded. But putting two people into a standard room should be fine. That way they have someone to talk to who is like them. Unless you put two people together who hate each other. Then it could be better to separate them.

robno

Quote from: Polder on July 18, 2018, 08:08:09 AM
The increased revenge chance on elephants is very noticable and a plan B for dealing with an enraged elephant horde is definitely required. Out of two hunting attempts, both resulted in an enraged horde. Maybe this was just bad luck but it seems that the chance of this happening increased as well. When going big game hunting, multiple layers of doors, preferably of something more durable than wood are recommended. On the other hand, when an entire horde comes knocking on the door, one can easily generate several thousand silver worth in goods (counting meat, leather, tusks).
Glad to hear this. On my earlier arid playthrough elephant tusks were far too easy a source of wealth.

Sirsir

I wish death-on-downed chance didn't occur at all for raiders that were related to colonists. When I get 2 raiders that are related to the same person, even if I treat them with kid gloves I have zero control on if that colonist is about to have -18 mood for the next half a year...

Razzoriel

Quote from: Sirsir on July 18, 2018, 10:16:47 AM
I wish death-on-downed chance didn't occur at all for raiders that were related to colonists.
Keep a psychic lance stored, use it on him, trade-off a ~60% chance of death for a ~5-10% chance of permanent brain damage.

Tass237

Data from play. Cassandra, Rough, Temperate Forest, Crashlanded, on builds 1964 and 1966

Wealth Graph:
https://i.imgur.com/GyS7NVX.png

Population Graph:
https://i.imgur.com/HFQBOCg.png

Mood Graph:
https://i.imgur.com/R2a2qHp.png

Debug Graph:
https://i.imgur.com/WCoo4Fp.png

That precipitous decline near the end of the adaptation graph is from a siege in which most of my pawns ended up downed. (all but 2 downed in fighting, one of those two anesthetized from surgery prior to siege)

When I loaded the game after build 1966 update, I had a prisoner from before the uupdate. That prisoner was labelled as havign Resistance -1, but it didn't seem to break anything. The recruit attempts went from ~1.5-2.2% chance before the update, to ~18-23% chance after the update. I like that it makes prisoners less variable to recruit, but also keeps them from instantly recruiting.

I like that emus are horrible, aggressive jerks. It adds flavor to the game, and since emus are solitary, not in herds, it won't ever be as dangerous as a herd of (for example) ibex going manhunter together.

Rimworld gave me a bait and switch! My starting colonists did not include a great cook, and I got an Incapacitated Refugee quest for someone with the "Chef" class, so I decided to risk it. When I got there it turned out their backstory was "Fearful Chef", and made them incapable of cooking!  Needless to say, I found this hilarious, and the pawn is now a full-time hauler-cleaner.  ;D

As a side note, I have some insight into (and feel protective towards) the concerns of more newbie/casual Rimworld players, as my wife plays Rimworld occasionally. She prefers Phoebe Base Builder (she has chosen not to play on the unstable branch), and sometimes runs into issues/confusion I would never have considered due to familiarity with the game.

iamomnivore

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 17, 2018, 03:11:07 PM
*LOL*

A desperate Alpaca just self tamed after my Hunter nearly killed it with his first shot.

HAH! Amazing. Thank you for sharing -- made my day :D

Ser Kitteh

RIP SPEAR

Anyway I tried to do some (unscientific testing) on mechs with plasteel weapons ranging from normal to excellent, level 9 melee pawn with no health issues.

On spears: still the best weapon for scythers. It doesn't one shot kill them anymore but a level 9 pawn in power armor (good) gets the job done. Terrible against centipedes, I pitted him against 5 centipedes (one by one, reloading each save) and he fails at all of them.

On maces: not as good on scythers as spears are but the superior weapon against centipedes. Took 4 hours for my pawn to actually down it by himself. I kinda gave up when I realise it still takes just as long for the second one.

Obviously one shouldn't bum rush a mechanoid by themselves but I fear this will make drop pod mech raids a bigger challenge than before considering their ability to burn all my furniture and the scyther's nasty blades.

iamomnivore

I've posted this to the Suggestions forums, before but, this never gets implemented. Something missing from Rimworld that absolutely must make it into 1.0: Let us map a darned key to the "Randomize" character select screen button. It's simple and would save some sanity for those of us playing higher difficulties, in which it's been admitted that some level of "no room for error" exists.

Also, a hotkey to bring up the 'I' informational panels. Thanks.

EvadableMoxie

So I've been playing on Cass extreme and up until now haven't had to reload when the colony died.... I had a poison ship crashed so it was handy I could test to see how bad the spear nerf was. At this point my raids are really nasty, it's usually something like a dozen or more scyther and lancers and 4-6 centipedes.

And yea, it didn't go well. I've refought the battle a few times and I can't even get an outcome that's close to winning. I could understand if I had gone all in on spears, but I really didn't. I have 6 ranged fighters (4 with pulse rifles, 1 with a legendary LMG) and 3 melee, one of which has 50% brain damage.  I feel like that's pretty solid but shooting at centipedes is just futile.  It takes so much to just bring one down, while an inferno cannon mech is just going to hit a colonist once, panic them into the open and then that colonist is down or dead.

Now, that said, I don't think spears shouldn't have been nerfed. They should have.  But I think spears being OP gave us a very easy way to destroy mechs trivially and as a result, mechs in their current state are overtuned.

I really don't want to go back to the old days of being forced to sniper rifle kite centipedes around the map for half an hour but at this point I'm not really sure what other tactic actually works.  I've got 9 fighters all equipped with spears, pulse rifles, and EMP grenades and I can't make a dent in centipedes before they adapt and destroy me.  They're even winning in melee against my spear users!

So yea, I'm reloading and trying new tactics, will report if I find anything that works consistently.

Elendil

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but the new 1.0 'opportunity hauling' consistently ignores zone restrictions. For example, upon undrafting, pawn will leave safehouse to haul weapons of downed enemies even though the weapon is outside of his allowed zone. Is this a bug or is it intended?

Haplo

I have to say the new translation clean-up tool is such a cool feature.
This makes the translation work much, much easier. Thank you very much for this ;D

Lanilor

There is a text error in the pawn social tab when flirting. The a name and pronoun are inserted wrong:

Jerry tried to flirt with Jerry by complimenting his plant growing skills. Sakura turned her back.