Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirsir

Fascination is far worse IMO. I can wall off and sell pretty much everything that drops, but you can't really make much money without a MASSIVE pain in the micro-neck. Plus its nice to keep a bit of W-Up or Go-J in the hospital for emergencies, hard to respond to an emergency when you have to dig them out of a wall

Sirinox

Quote from: Boboid on July 18, 2018, 07:37:24 PM
On the subject of chemical interest/fascination - Have to agree that it's definitely a " Critical failure " for pawn generation.
The fact that you have little to no control over their actions and the fact that their actions run the gamut from obnoxious to fatal means that even if they're not strictly speaking worse than not having the pawn at all, they feel that way.
There is always an option to arrest them. I pick my warden and arrest anyone who has annoying or dangerous mental break in wrong time.

But for chemical fascinated I'd just give them what they want really. Hook them up on yayo and beer and let them go as long as they can, with mood through the roof and enhanced speed and workability. If they are so bad, think of them as dispensable and let them take the heat off others in battles too, with reduced pain and enhanced speed. Otherwise, if you grow attached to them — there is whole planet of walking kidneys to replace chemical damaged ones. ;)
They are usually also my first pick to be enhanced with luciferium.

Jstank

Reduce death-on-downed chance.

OMG I was sitting there for 20 mins walking my pawn over the water trying to drown him. That isn't drowned it's downed! COPY
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

5thHorseman

Quote from: Broken Reality on July 18, 2018, 08:00:56 PM
-Rename Char ITab to Story.

Not sure this makes sense. Their skills/traits are not a pawns story. I liked "character" or "char" if those are no good then "skills" or "traits" would be better than "story" in my opinion.

Came here to say this. I saw the story tab and thought "oooh is this a concise history of what the... oh no it's the character tab with a name that doesn't have anything to do with what it contains."
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Sirinox on July 18, 2018, 08:18:05 PM
There is always an option to arrest them. I pick my warden and arrest anyone who has annoying or dangerous mental brake in wrong time.

This reminds me of a gripe I had with my last colony. Chemical binge, trying to keep my dude from getting addicted to yayo (benefits aside, I think the downsides are bad enough that I don't mess with anything stronger than beer or smokeweed, and even then I try to keep it below addiction) so I go to arrest him; He berserks, no big deal, just have the entire rest of the colony mob him and beat him down with fists. Usually no harm, right?

Not this time.  He ded.

It's happened a few times, not enough that I'd call it common, but even as seldom as it has happened it feels like too much. unarmed fighting against your own pawns should have nearly zero chance of death. Not completely zero, but less than currently, for sure.

Quote from: Broken Reality on July 18, 2018, 08:00:56 PM
-Rename Char ITab to Story.

Not sure this makes sense. Their skills/traits are not a pawns story. I liked "character" or "char" if those are no good then "skills" or "traits" would be better than "story" in my opinion.

Would like to throw my vote behind 'traits' or 'pawn'. Story and char don't feel right.

Broken Reality

Quote from: Sirinox on July 18, 2018, 08:18:05 PM
There is always an option to arrest them. I pick my warden and arrest anyone who has annoying or dangerous mental break in wrong time.

But for chemical fascinated I'd just give them what they want really. Hook them up on yayo and beer and let them go as long as they can, with mood through the roof and enhanced speed and workability. If they are so bad, think of them as dispensable and let them take the heat off others in battles too, with reduced pain and enhanced speed. Otherwise, if you grow attached to them — there is whole planet of walking kidneys to replace chemical damaged ones. ;)
They are usually also my first pick to be enhanced with luciferium.

My wake up addicted pawn lasted less than a season. Brain damaged the second binge and was essentially useless till he died of "wake up addiction". Good luck getting to them before they hit themselves up with whatever drug they get to. Seeing as one dose seems to be all it takes for addiction they will get addicted sooner rather than later if you have any drugs in your base.

Drug them up and letting them do their thing does nothing to stop binges, when they binge they cost you silver, do nothing productive and damage their health or die. You are better off killing or exiling the pawn than keep them.

Other traits can be dealt with far easier and have far less of an impact on a colony.

mndfreeze

Tree sowing still takes way to long even with ultra grower pawns. 

Lost 2 new starts(one rich explorer, one naked brutality) due to hunted animals going nutso, downing my pawn and bleeding out and infection.  For being a "2% base chance at rifle range" on all the animals I was hunting it sure triggered WAY more than that. 

Centipedes are such a nightmare now, more than they were pre-spear nerf.  Lost my colony to a mix of all scyther types but it was the last few centipedes that were the killing blow. 

seerdecker

Some feedback regarding the new armor description write-up: it is quite clear now (to me at least). The example is particularly helpful. Thanks for improving the description!

Adding the AP of the traps in the trap description would be helpful.

(A little theorycrafting follows -- please indulge me).

It follows that there are no further benefits when (armor-AP) > 100 if I understand correctly. You get 50% chance to deflect and 50% chance to halve the damage. So, a legendary power armor would perform the same as a masterwork power armor for sharp damage unless the AP is higher than 63.

A legendary hyperweave duster would provide almost the same protection (against sharp) than a normal power armor (200*0.3*1.8 = 108 vs 117 for power armor). A legendary devilstrand flak jacket is also a strong contender at 144*0.4*1.8=103. At low AP, duster/jacket + vest is potentially a better value proposition than power armor for protecting the torso.

sumghai

After destroying the last base of a faction, I receive a letter notifying me that as a consequence the faction no longer exists. However, the destroyed faction and leader still shows up in the Factions tab.

Could factions please be permanently hidden once destroyed?

bbqftw

Quote from: seerdecker on July 18, 2018, 09:36:05 PM
Some feedback regarding the new armor description write-up: it is quite clear now (to me at least). The example is particularly helpful. Thanks for improving the description!

Adding the AP of the traps in the trap description would be helpful.

(A little theorycrafting follows -- please indulge me).

It follows that there are no further benefits when (armor-AP) > 100 if I understand correctly. You get 50% chance to deflect and 50% chance to halve the damage. So, a legendary power armor would perform the same as a masterwork power armor for sharp damage unless the AP is higher than 63.

A legendary hyperweave duster would provide almost the same protection (against sharp) than a normal power armor (200*0.3*1.8 = 108 vs 117 for power armor). A legendary devilstrand flak jacket is also a strong contender at 144*0.4*1.8=103. At low AP, duster/jacket + vest is potentially a better value proposition than power armor for protecting the torso.
The correct formula is stated earlier in this thread, and yes >100% armor after AP is calculated has utility.

Also, AP and DR/deflection roll is applied to each layer separately. So split layers of armor are extremely ineffective.

So basically what you say is uh.. loosely rooted in reality.

Dashthechinchilla

One thing I noticed in map gen is bridges can't be built on mud. I had a road that crossed a river at a pond. The bridge sections followed the road but there were big gaps in the mud. I didn't think much of it until I saw a map where the road crossed marsh, which got bridges.

whitebunny

Quote from: dearmad on July 18, 2018, 02:47:30 PM
I too have noticed the pawn gets plague event is common in caravan too, and i agree it's a dick move. AI using a cheese tactic.

I've had two separate instances of a caravaneer getting not one but TWO different diseases while doing simple 5 day long caravan missions.
It's like the game is rolling for disease on every tile the caravan passes through and has an insanely high chance to roll since i can't remember a single time that my caravans didn't get a disease incident in the last RL week.

seerdecker

The correct formula is stated earlier in this thread, and yes >100% armor after AP is calculated has utility.

Also, AP is applied to each layer separately.

So basically what you say is uh.. loosely rooted in reality.

I'm aware that AP is applied separately to each layer. My reasoning is that if a duster with 100% rating has 50% chance of negating non-AP damage, and the same applies to a vest, then the probability of some damage being received is 0.5*0.5=25% under Tynan's stated model. This is better than a power armor that has a 50% probability of negating the damage.

For the formula's correctness, either Tynan's description is wrong or your stated formula is wrong. I'm too lazy to decompile the code and verify myself. Hopefully someone else can verify.

Greep

Quote from: EvadableMoxie on July 18, 2018, 08:11:31 PM
In other news, did a long range mineral scanner Silver site. 4128 silver, no threats. 

Did some investigation to find out why my gold lump felt so lackluster in comparison.  Apparently, the site uses 3500-5000 market value to determine minerals.  Since I was planning on selling the gold, on extreme I would've gotten only about 1/3-1/2 the value.  So a plasteel lump would contain ~300 plasteel.  Which is pretty good if you wanted to buy some.  So really it looks like the 3 things to use it for are plasteel/uranium, or silver.  And components actually. 

And if you want steel use the silver to buy steel.  Or walk and bring 12 muffalos lol.  Although that will just get you killed with the current animal raid scaling :/
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Falsewall

The mood bars behind pawns at the top of the screen is covered up by pawns too much.   Especially the large pawns.