Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnLG

Quote from: Greep on July 21, 2018, 05:09:46 PM
Starting a new fort, and I got a psychic ship during a toxic fallout with a somewhat difficult mix of enemies.  I decided to summon some friendlies since even if this was doable it was a bit more risk than I wanted to take on.

Looks like called friendlies scale which is awesome, but the scale is a bit (at least double) too much on the high side atm.  Those mechanoids didn't know what hit them  ::)

This really makes me wonder how friendlies you call in do scale.  Last time I called in friendlies, it dropped three or four people.  And that was against a 30-ish person raid. 

Was 4 years in and had something like 200k wealth, 13 pawns on extreme. 

Edit - Didn't see the patch notes regarding this, that would explain it. 

Lanilor

I did never have any problem with rotting. It is slow enough to not have an impact on short storage or when something drops outside and it makes sense from a gameplay perspective. Also walling off a storage is not that expansive and also stops raiders from getting in there. You can still store stuff like stone and steel outside. I even put tainted apparel outside to rot and it takes really long until it's gone when not putting it in water.
And remember: How something is in real life does not mean it is the best solution for a game.

Greep

Quote from: JohnLG on July 21, 2018, 05:16:16 PM
Quote from: Greep on July 21, 2018, 05:09:46 PM
Starting a new fort, and I got a psychic ship during a toxic fallout with a somewhat difficult mix of enemies.  I decided to summon some friendlies since even if this was doable it was a bit more risk than I wanted to take on.

Looks like called friendlies scale which is awesome, but the scale is a bit (at least double) too much on the high side atm.  Those mechanoids didn't know what hit them  ::)

This really makes me wonder how friendlies you call in do scale.  Last time I called in friendlies, it dropped three or four people.  And that was against a 30-ish person raid. 

Was 4 years in and had something like 200k wealth, 13 pawns on extreme.

It seems to be a recent change because I recall that as well in previous builds.  Or maybe something broke *shrug*
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

jchavezriva

Is it intended for Centipedes on Hard difficulty to withstand 10 grenade explosions? Because it took me like 12 to kill one (who was already damaged!) on several attempts...

Then I spawned three centipedes to test their grenade resistance and the first one to get downed fell with the 14th explosion!

Before when the emp stun on mechs lasted like a minute and a half, we could send melee pawns to beat them/grenade them a bit, then retreat, stun, and repeat.

Now that cant be a thing, with the new EMP stun time being relatively low despite the last update. It would take a shit ton of walking back and forth, dealing little damage every time.

If you dont plan to increase it any further, please consider any of these:

1. More damaging explosions:

If it takes at least 12 grenade shots (without counting the ones that missed) to take down one centipede, then all the colony will starve before we kill 20 of them. Given how small the explosions radius is, 90% of the shots will damage only one centipede.

Oh and btw, current stun time allowed me to shoot like 6-8 grenades before they wake up.
But, that is something i noticed by doing a test with 2 pawns throwing grenades at once!!
That means a single pawn can throw 3-4 before it wakes up and dismember him with 20 shots at few meters distance.
This issue can also be (at least partially) solved with the next point ↓

2. Force mechanoids to attack whoever is melee attacking them at the moment:

Why? Because if we are dealing with a group of 20 mechanoids, each with a guy beating them, they could easily shoot the pawns that are hitting other mechanoids, and with such short distances between each other its always going to be a massacre. Always.
Right now it seems like they sometimes deal with the one that is attacking them on melee range first, but not always. The instances where they dont, it always ends really bad...

bbqftw

It appears that the interval which with you can chat to recruit a prisoner was changed from 5 hours to 10 hours. However, the resistance drop appears to be the same (extreme, 40 mood, max/close to max relations with warden results in ~1.0-1.1 resistance drop per chat). Is this resistance drop dependent on social skill? If not (as that seems to be the only different variable), was this an intentional change to make recruiting prisoners even harder?

Serenity

QoL suggestion: when you click on various animals in the wildlife tab it would be nice if the tab stayed open

Koek

Unfinished: The menu for crafting apparel needs to be updated for all the new leather types. It still shows the old menu.

Broken Reality

Cass - rough, large hills, temp forest, new colony - tribal.

So recruited my first prisoner this patch it was a pirate from on of the early raids. I gave him a room with a floor, table, he had the first bedroll while my colonists had sleeping spots, a bunch of flower pots to make the room even nicer. 99% difficulty and 45+ resistance. Warden has 9 social and average resistance drop per talk was 1 to 1.5 towards the end when opinion of the warden was high. After breaking resistance the recruit chance didn't seem too low (I forget what it was but it was higher than I expected) and didn't take too long to recruit.

Traps the one time I used them when cracking the ancient danger just means a longer tunnel is needed. Doubt i will use them much anymore except for AD's, trap mazes would be too long for my tastes and using them to defend walls against sappers or a point you don't want raiders clustering is lessened. Turrets being cheaper and one shots on colonists being up (though flak chest change is nice as is the charge lace though early game one shots risk is high when you don't have access to armour, so I still rush plate armour after stone cutting and furniture).

I've still found the healing times mean that most raids I have still been injured from a previous one so mistakes are extremely costly, risk of colonist death next raid is higher and productivity is down or zero depending on how badly hurt they are. I always start with a crafter on tribal runs so I can get decent armour made as soon as I can manage.

rdshen

Quote from: jchavezriva on July 21, 2018, 05:34:39 PM
Why? Because if we are dealing with a group of 20 mechanoids, each with a guy beating them, they could easily shoot the pawns that are hitting other mechanoids, and with such short distances between each other its always going to be a massacre. Always.
Right now it seems like they sometimes deal with the one that is attacking them on melee range first, but not always. The instances where they dont, it always ends really bad...

Noticed something similar to this myself. Had a centipede wake up after being EMPed and instantly fire his charge blaster past my pawn currently beating it with a mace. I think EMPs suspends instead of cancels their aiming, and that they can finish a shot they began aiming before being engaged in melee. I haven't personally noticed them shooting after engaging a pawn in melee.

The fight itself was brutal, too. The instant shot gibbed a pelvis I had hiding behind a sandbag. 1 masterwork heavy smg, two bolt rifles and a masterwork mace still took over a minute to down the single centipede. Once some of its functionality/vital organs were damaged and it decided to engage in melee my pawns weren't really at risk of major damage, but I reached that point in about 25% the time it took to kill the thing. The remaining 75% was waiting patiently while the centipede missed repeatedly and getting the emp grenadier to save the pelvis pawn.

Sangerwolf

Prosthesis could fix that hand up too so it's not like there's no way to come back from it.

EvadableMoxie

Started a new Cass Extreme.  Starting date was 12 Decembary.  The first raid was 5 days later on Aprimary 2nd.  So far so good.

Then, 11 days in on Aprimary 8th I get a raid.  Then another on the 10th.  Then a third on 12th.  3 raids within the spawn of 6 days, all within the quadrum. When I look at my graph, it doesn't note the 8th and 10th raids with a dot.

I'm curious if it's tended behavior for Cass to throw 3 raids at me within the span of 6 days and have 2 of them not registered on the graph, or if something weird is going on. It's extreme so it's not entirely unreasonable I guess but it does seem a bit excessive.

Here's a screenshot of the history tab and the graph together. 

JohnLG

I've noticed that when a pawn has two bionic arms, they'll almost always use their bite attack in social fights.  It's actually become a bit of an issue, and kinda hard to imagine in real terms.  They're holding back from using their extra strong punches and instead biting their friend's eyes out?  Pretty funny though, honestly. 

If it were up to me I'd probably have pawns avoid using slashing damage in general while in social fights like they avoid using bionics.  That or just add a bionic jaw.

seerdecker

As requested, here are my graphs for my game. Cassandra extreme, jungle biome, naked brutality. I don't recall which version I started in, sorry. Consider adding the metadata you need to the debug graph :-)

I'm restarting to try another base layout, even though my colony is thriving. This is what I love about Rimworld: the optimization process is so rewarding! There are many, many variables to consider and hundreds of variations to try.

I'd like to offer the following suggestion: please don't delete the plan layout when you build a tile. It is hard to keep track of the layout when the base grows organically because of this.

[attachment deleted due to age]

erdrik

I don't do caravaning very often, and this experience is not convincing me to keep trying.
I am 0.1 days away from my destination, and decided to pause the caravan until night so they could rest up and hit the destination fresh and rested. I waited until night and made sure everyone in the caravan was low on Rest. But every time I un-pause the caravan just keeps moving to the destination. Why will they not stop and rest??

(EDIT: ok figured out you have to select the caravan then right click on the tile it is on to stop it. But it is still weird that the caravan seems to change from automatically stopping to sleep at night, to a death march if you pause it...)

rizurper

I got raided from mechs scattered around map and there was only one arrow pointed to one of their drop locations. It was quite problematic to locate the rest of mechs especially scyters and lancers because they are small.