Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teleblaster18

Debug History Graphs:

Naked Brutality
Cassandra/Rough/Temperate Forest (Year-Round Growing) - ~117 days completed
Version 1972

Some notes:

-Love that wood doesn't deteriorate when unroofed & outside; honestly, it feels almost like cheating.  I wouldn't mind if the deterioration was put back in.

-Double Peglegged and did some amateur dentistry on a prisoner (non-pirate but currently hostile faction) who shot one of my animals. Got faction relation decrease, as a result.  This feels right...I like the change.  Executed another prisoner who actually did the killing: the -2 debuff felt well balanced.

-Still not a fan at all of items deteriorating because they're not enclosed;  would like to see this changed back to only deteriorating when unroofed, as others have stated earlier.

-The quality of new potential recruits is amazingly good for both this game and my previous one; plenty of colonists who have no "incapable of"'s, and plenty of passion flames. 

-Had a "Wild Man" event;  wasn't able to tame him, as my current handler's skills were too low.  During a cold snap, he was repeatedly getting frostbite, and I was saving him: he had excellent stats.  He returned to the wild almost immediately every time, where I think he succumbed to the cold.  I wasn't able to find the body...I think the wild boars got to him.  Loved the event, and I'd love to see more of this type of stuff.

-I like the new combination of shooting skills and animal skills for hunting;  this also feel appropriate.

I'm going to start the transition from early- to mid-game tomorrow.  So far, gameplay feels well balanced, very enjoyable, and challenging without being draconian.  I'm having a great time with this colony, so far.

Tynan

Many thanks to those who have posted stories, especially with graphs. It really helps tune things. Please keep em' coming.

New build is up. As always, the changelog is just for reference. Please play it before discussing and base your feedback on your experiences.

I would love to hear how traps and turret defenses are fitting together this build. The goal is that complex trap/turret defenses (including killboxes, trap hallways, etc) should be really useful, but shouldn't be a hand-off free win against every threat. (Note that you can reinstall traps now, they do a lot more damage, but they're consumed when used, but they're cheaper. The material a trap is made from makes a big difference in how hard it hits.)

Still lots to do!

Note: There is a bug affecting friendly fire; FF can happen at ranges where it should be impossible if the shot lands in the target cell. This'll be fixed soon. There's also a bug where wild men can wander out of prison if arrested. And many other bugs to be fixed.

---

Trap rework: Double damage, cost to 40, disappear on use. Fixed a bug that made traps do too little damage. Reduced IED cost. Traps can be reinstalled.
Raid arrival mode and strategy can affect raid points on a curve. Adjust raid strategy prevalence.
Rename IncidentTargetType to IncidentTargetTag.
Rework points curve somewhat so different difficulties cap at different numbers.
Fix: No ship reactor raids.
Fix: Chased refugee can happen unreasonably early.
Rebalance animal point costs. Rebalance adaptation, reduce cap.
Add unstable build warning text.
Misc balance/fix: -Adjust devilstrand. -Adjust turret build and maintenance costs, power usage, health. -Turn off atomic refueling for all turrets. -Rename "connected rate" to "grid usage". -Fix: Wrong passive cooler description. -Remove exclusion zone rendering on trap placeworker. -Adjust eye health. -Reduce barracks thought impact by 2. This compensates for disturbed sleep. -Adjust charge lance shot rate. -Fix: Redundant research requirement on sniper turret. -Fix: Infections can kill people without explanation by affecting part efficiency. -Fix: Friendly mortars firing causes forced slowdown. -Adjust wood deterioration rate to 0.5. -Time slowdown on prisoner escape. -Adjust relations gain on heal-and-release. -Animals eat random stuff less. -Drifters should not get guns.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

mcduff

FYI, on my current playthrough I haven't built a single turret. (Phoebe Medium). I think I'll start a new game tonight and experiment with turrets and traps.

Lanilor

The trap rework looks interesting. I started a naked extreme game yesterday with a non-violent pawn, so I had to rely on traps and animals. This will probably change a lot. I will report experiences later.

bbqftw

As slight note - do not suggest loading saves with triggered traps as even a fully unmodded save file had significant issues.

Bowman

Ok, about 110 days in. Started playing maybe 8 builds ago?

Graphs at the bottom. This is Crashlanded, Cassandra Rough, Permadeath. Arid shrubland environment.

Comment on security (before the build just now came up): Traps are very useful. The restriction to have an exclusion zone is very good I think. This only slightly affected the way I am building them - I do not have a fully walled compound, but 2 big, squat buildings with several rooms inside each (see pic). I do have some leftover ones next to each other on a small bridge from before the adjacency restrictions came up. They are definitely useful at the amount I have them at, but not overwhelming. They take out about 1 raider out of the usual 6-person raid I get. 2 if they come over the bridge maybe. My spontaneous reaction to the change that they are single use again is: ugh... It was really nice to rearm them without supplies, before they were a logistical hastle that was frustrating. I won't theorize too much and will test. But I think I prefer them weaker and more reusable than powerful and single use, in general. The turrents feel much more useful, my last bigger impression was in a build about 3 weeks ago. They are a great distraction for raiders also which gives my snipers more time to do damage. Very useful - I should build more of them in this base...

Now, this colony also generated one of my coolest Rimworld stories, which can be seen somewhat in the plots also. My first crashlanded colonist, Kaleun, a transhumanist hunter and builder, got an unlucky shot to the eye early on and had major sight issues and also constant pain from the eye. Still, my only real negotiator and the friendly town was just a few hours away. I had an elephant that had self-tamed and I loaded up all my goods to trade for hopefully a new eye. However, I got waylaid by a bandit demanding everything, even the elephant and the clothes on Kaleun's back (side note, I was a complete idiot here, sending her out alone). I felt I could probably hide behind the elephant and survive with my goods, so I stupidly decided to fight. To my surprise, the lone bandit (with a heavy smg) was Kaleun's mother, Darcie! What a reunion... Well, my plan didn't work and Darcie got a lucky shot in that immediately ended the encounter for me, and the whole caravan was lost (side note here: the message about what happened was a bit short, also I got a "colonist banished" mood debuff for the others that I had no idea where it came from and may have been a bug). So, I kick myself and soldier on with the remaining 3 colonists, all bummed out about losing Kaleun.

However, about 10 days later I get a rescue message - Kaleun is alive. I send my only good remaining shooter out, not wanting to leave the base completely undefended. He fights 2 defenders with a mortar, getting burns and losing his nose in the fight but prevailing! I rescue Kaleun - and I realize, she has severe brain damage! A quick check and I know - her own mother shot her in the head, that's why. I manage to get them back. I do some trade quests, rebuild my wealth, trade for an archotech arm and eye from the nearby town (lucky selection) and get a healer mech from  a quest also. Quite the comeback. Kaleun is now half woman, half high-tech machine, and wholly dedicated to finding her mother on this forsaken planet to get her revenge...

Here's the pictures:

[attachment deleted due to age]

Bowman

Ok quick bug report: I had a recue from an escape pod that I didn't want. I didn't want him so I only rescued, but he joined by himself upon recovery. So I gave him a gun and some clothes, and banished him. He promptly, as a guest, walked into a trap (still not playing on the build from an hour ago but the one before). He gets downed. Being nice, I rescue him, bandage him up - he heals and joins again without me being able to say no. So I draft him, march him out far from the base, and then banish him. Works but now I have 2 "banished colonist" debuffs... Would be nice if it recognized that it's the same, or better yet, could I have a choice in whether I want that person to join, ideally with a view of their stats?

Wanderer_joins

* i've had a caravan ambushed by manhunter + tribespeople. It was fun and looked like sometimes raids go wrong but i don't know if it was intended.

* the recent change in the cycles made it possible to have 2 major threats with Cassandra (i had psychic ship + manhunter pack) within hours, which never happened. More randomness within the cycle seems good but so far it looks like on the long term i get fewer threats (closer to 1 per cycle whereas it used to be closer to two per cycle).

* regarding traps and turrets: i don't use traps much but i like the idea of making them moveable, it could be useful against sappers notably. I use 2 sniper turrets and 1 autocannon, the sniper turrets are deadly and can be protected more easily than the autocannon thanks to their range. It's less useful than in previous versions (fewer centipedes, weaker armor) but they're still a good asset to fight large mech raids, and even pirates with their accuracy.

Jibbles

Interesting update! Looking forward to playing it.

So I thought it'd fun to switch it up. Let me know if you don't want me to post updates on this colony.
Was curious to see what kind of colonists & challenges I would end up with since I've never done it before.
Maybe I could start logging escape pods too if interested tho most of them have been incapable of violence or would only hurt the crew at this point. Wished I thought about grabbing the screenshots of colonists sooner. Had one pawn give up on the colony so far, didn't grab her stats. Asterisk by pawns name are the 3 who crashlanded.

Randy Rough
Boreal Forest: Flat
Crashlanded Scenario: Added wanderer joins every 3 days

anitram

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on July 23, 2018, 08:21:16 AM
* i've had a caravan ambushed by manhunter + tribespeople. It was fun and looked like sometimes raids go wrong but i don't know if it was intended.

I've had this too yesterday, granted it was one animal and one pirate.

sadpickle

I'd just like to mention that the wildlife tab is so good. Like really, really great. Thank you for adding this.

Awe

Quote from: Tynan on July 23, 2018, 06:41:45 AM

I would love to hear how traps and turret defenses are fitting together this build. The goal is that complex trap/turret defenses (including killboxes, trap hallways, etc) should be really useful, but shouldn't be a hand-off free win against every threat. (Note that you can reinstall traps now, they do a lot more damage, but they're consumed when used, but they're cheaper. The material a trap is made from makes a big difference in how hard it hits.)

Trap rework: Double damage, cost to 40, disappear on use. Fixed a bug that made traps do too little damage. Reduced IED cost. Traps can be reinstalled.

40 steel for 1 frag? Definitely no.
Stone traps? Doubtfully. Seems like too much work just for 1 hit. (carry 2 chunks, cut blocks x2, carry to trap placement, build trap)
Probably ok at biomes with lot of wood.

bobthegiant

Had a couple bugs to report on game launch and on load. Loading a save from the previous 1.0 build and received a the following errors as seen in the imgur images. In addition, the areas that mark where a pawn will mine and smooth are no longer visible.

https://imgur.com/a/kx2fV90

5thHorseman

Similar trap related error here. Loaded my map and this keeps just running that number at the bottom of the log up, maybe 50 errors a second or so. I scrolled around and checked all my traps and none are sprung. I do have some side-by-side that were placed before that limit was put in place so maybe that's causing it?

I didn't try to play, just alt-f4'd out.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Jibbles

Came across the same thing as 5thHorseman. Destroyed traps and it went away.