Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A RANG MA

I think hyperweave might be bugged; traders only ever carry up to a few of them, which isn't enough to actually make anything.

alxddd

This is my second playthrough on 1.0, I think entirely on the 1972 patch.
Randy Random
Rough
Arid Shrubland (Year Round Growing)
Crashlanded

I have to say right off the bat that I've been having a lot of fun on these 1.0 games. The game really feels subtly whole and polished in ways I didn't expect. I had been finding Rough to be rougher this patch so I played my last game on Medium. But Medium was pretty slow for my play style, and when I saw that Medium got nerfed (buffed?) I decided to go back to my tested and true Rough.

This game started off rough (appropriately) when I lost a colonist to a hunting cougar on day 2 that couldn't be avoided. This bad start had me worried, but I was given a good chance to recover and thrive. There were lots of opportunities to recruit new colonists which were varied and at a good pace. Raid strength and frequency seemed balanced too as well as varied.

Caravanning:
- Caravanning opportunities I think still started coming earlier than I'd expect any player to really be ready to take the risk to do it, but less ridiculously early than before.
- The frequency and variety of caravanning offers were really good though, as well as the requests are actually things my colony is capable of producing
- Still wish there was some indicator on the World Map for which colonies have made offers already so I didn't have to click around looking for the right one.

Combat:
- I love that Melee is not only viable but necessary now. However, it still doesn't feel balanced (not sure if that's the right word, but didn't want to say "It just doesn't feel right.") For example, I've had multiple armed Melee fighters go down by the hands (literally) of an enemy - not sure if that's based on skill or weapon quality but it happens frequently enough to make me feel like something's off. Then flip it around and it seems like ranged weapon colonists are almost completely defenceless when in melee range, which can be catastrophic in a fight or when hunting alone. It tempts me to go back to recruiting the whole colony to go shoot a bunch of animals at once instead of properly using the hunting as it's meant to be used. I'm sure you don't want to incorporate the sidearm mod into the game or else you would've done it by now, but I feel more tempted than ever to try it out. Alternatively maybe you could make the butt end of ranged weapons a somewhat viable melee option? at least enough to defend unless your longswordsmand gets to the scene?
- I liked the new trap nerf by making us spread them out. Not sure I'm going to like them disappearing on use but we'll see shortly. I didn't get to turret research in my game to be able to assess it.

QoL:
- It's annoying that in the Orders Menu there's no hotkey for Chop Wood, and that when you select a tree that the hotkey is Y, but in the Orders Menu Y is Cut Plants.
- would be nice if when you select a piece of granite mountain the option for Smooth Surface showed up alongside the option for Mining

Other:
- the fact that a number of crafting jobs don't build crafting skill is counterintuitive and I feel would be confusing to new players. I still have to doublecheck and remind myself what does and does build the skill. Perhaps separating the names of the skill and the work order would make it less so, and maybe a tooltip in the Story tab for each skill to help you out. Or just let us build crafting more easily again (in a way that can't be exploited).
- Commitment Mode vs. Reload Anytime Mode is just a bit ridiculous. Permadeath has an established definition in gaming and people should just accept that that's what this game is designed to do. I was all for the idea of turning it on by default and maybe having a tooltip or explainer underneath it, but the two options with those names, both unselected just seems like overkill. You've already sold over a million games - you don't need to hold people's hands!

[attachment deleted due to age]

Lanilor

Quote from: Mehni on July 24, 2018, 09:16:04 AM
Please add a brief forced slowdown to entering sites. I got a nasty surprise from manhunting bears.

Please remove the forced slowdown on attacking poison ships etc. It is agonisingly slow to watch them attack it when the threat is already defeated.

I also think the time after a forced slowdown until you can speed up is mostly too long. Maybe add a [shift]+[3] hotkey for forced speed-up that one can use when he wants to overwrite the slowdown. (But it should still slowdown again normally of cause when the next stuff happens).

anotherrimworld

I noticed that the text describing happy transhumanists in Needs is always one behind. ie Happy to have 3 bionic parts when in fact there are 4

alxddd

Forgot to add that I'm loving the new recruiting system! Makes sense, works well. The only thing was that the first prisoner I had in my game had a 93% difficulty and was recruited in the first attempt (after resistance was reduced to 0.0). Warden's social I don't remember, but it was definitely not higher than 10. Did I just get lucky?

Wanderer_joins

Cassandra extreme, boreal 20/60, -> ship building:

* economy was mostly based on apparel crafting (lots of leather from manhunter packs and wildlife), i also had an artist full time mid game.

* I would say in terms of difficulty it was early game > ship sequence > mid game. The ship sequence is still very intense, but no longer hardcore like in previous versions, it has a good pace and the individual threats are more manageable. Early game is still the "make it or die" period of the game. After a critical mass of colonists is reached, it is harder to be wiped out, and it mostly depends on your strategy. Using choke points is still the safest defense, but with the down scaling of threat, i may try a more open defense for the next run.

* i'd like to have the option to ask for prisoners camps where your captured colonists would be, or to directly negotiate a ransom with the enemy

* resurrection mech serum is too rng, i got 3+4 at the end of the run (year 6)

* doctoring still requires micro if you don't want bad surprises. I'd like to see colonists with bleeding wounds going to bed for 'patient' even if the bleeding is not life threatening (yet...)

Menace312

Hi all, new player here...

I picked this game up last month, because i thought i was ready for it. Been playing 7days and games like that...

A18 is really cool! Im having so much fun. The AI is a little dumb, but atleast its very unpredictable...

Ive now been playing 1.0 exp for awhile, and is it just me, or does the game feel much much worse now?

Its hard to give precise points, because its all over the game... Gameplay, graphics, AI, difficulty scaling, you name it! It all sucks now...

Maybe im just to new to this game, but Im really really really crossing my fingers, that 1.0 will be much different than 1.0 exp... It usually is not, so hence my worrie...

Serenity

Quote from: alxddd on July 24, 2018, 09:56:55 AM
- Caravanning opportunities I think still started coming earlier than I'd expect any player to really be ready to take the risk to do it, but less ridiculously early than before.
Not that early for me. I got several ones I could do with one or two people:
* deliver a dozen t-shirts
* deliver a dozen knives
* defeat two people and a turret (took some more people for that)
* a peace conference

All within about two days walking distance

iamomnivore

Quote from: Menace312 on July 24, 2018, 10:12:46 AM

I picked this game up last month, because i thought i was ready for it. Been playing 7days and games like that...

A18 is really cool! Im having so much fun. The AI is a little dumb, but atleast its very unpredictable...

Ive now been playing 1.0 exp for awhile, and is it just me, or does the game feel much much worse now?

Its hard to give precise points, because its all over the game... Gameplay, graphics, AI, difficulty scaling, you name it! It all sucks now...

Maybe im just to new to this game, but Im really really really crossing my fingers, that 1.0 will be much different than 1.0 exp... It usually is not, so hence my worrie...

Would you be so kind as to include experience-related examples, without abstract blanket-statements? Prove your point. I for one love 1.0 as a person with 2300+ hours, since A14 and up. ;)

Bolgfred

At least the graphics didn't change that much. Maybe you renamed 7d2d into rimworld.exe and didn't notice?

Try to make an example what's bothering you, or at least a screenshot of a very emotional game session.

I think there are many things that are unpolished or new. But there is no thing which called to be 'bad'.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

anotherrimworld

Quote from: iamomnivore on July 24, 2018, 10:20:14 AM

Would you be so kind as to include experience-related examples, without abstract blanket-statements? Prove your point. I for one love 1.0 as a person with 2300+ hours, since A14 and up. ;)

Agreed. I'm at the 2000+ hour mark as well. I would always play each update for a few weeks before getting tired for one reason or another. I can't seem to stop playing with the new 1.0 update. So many little annoyances were cleared up and it's the first time I'm not scrambling for mods to fill in "gaps" in my gameplay. There is always room for improvement but 1.0 is definitely a move in the right direction

Madman666

While i also think B18 was way more fun to play and 1.0 currently doesn't match my preferences, I kind of agree with others - if you want to tell that this version sucks - you really wanna make it a huge post describing in detail what you didn't like and why, even if its "spread all over the game". Otherwise it won't have any weight or convincing power.

Toast

Very limited thoughts on traps because I've hit a dry spell of raids and had nothing but manhunter packs, manhunter singles, and mass manhunter madness (FUCKIN' EMUS, MAN). And those thoughts are this: while they are certainly effective, it sucks to lose 40 steel to a FUCKIN' EMU that your pawns could have easily shot to death for free. I just got deep drilling so it won't be difficult to replace at this point in my base's life, but any earlier than that and I would not have wanted to spend 40 hard-won steel, wood, or stone from this flat, arid map on a single-use emu guillotine. This change really makes traps viable only for rich bases or on resource-plentiful maps.

On a completely different topic, cocoa is... kind of underwhelming? The idea is cute, especially the "self-sweetening" that makes it drop off the tree as a fully formed chocolate bar.  ;D But you spend 1000 research points, hours and hours of tree planting (even after the reduction to tree planting time it's still a big investment), months of waiting and hoping the tree doesn't get destroyed by toxic fallout or an unlucky lightning strike, and then you get... 16 chocolate worth $3 each and the tree disappears. Yuck. Why bother? Chocolate is neither profitable enough nor valuable enough as a joy item to justify the hassle.

mcduff

Quote from: alxddd on July 24, 2018, 09:56:55 AM

Combat:
- I love that Melee is not only viable but necessary now. However, it still doesn't feel balanced (not sure if that's the right word, but didn't want to say "It just doesn't feel right.") For example, I've had multiple armed Melee fighters go down by the hands (literally) of an enemy - not sure if that's based on skill or weapon quality but it happens frequently enough to make me feel like something's off. Then flip it around and it seems like ranged weapon colonists are almost completely defenceless when in melee range, which can be catastrophic in a fight or when hunting alone. It tempts me to go back to recruiting the whole colony to go shoot a bunch of animals at once instead of properly using the hunting as it's meant to be used. I'm sure you don't want to incorporate the sidearm mod into the game or else you would've done it by now, but I feel more tempted than ever to try it out. Alternatively maybe you could make the butt end of ranged weapons a somewhat viable melee option? at least enough to defend unless your longswordsmand gets to the scene?
Has it been discussed before why someone with a ranged weapon can't have a knife in their belt as well?

Toast

Quote from: Razzoriel on July 24, 2018, 11:44:01 AM
Yikes, I never got into crafting chocolate, but after all that the tree also goes away?? Wow, talk about underwhelming.

The tree is very tired after adding the sweetener to the cocoa.  :P