Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fecalfrown

[/quote]
So long term Randy is going to have a constant stream after new colonists for Cass and Phoebe have dried up.

Short term however, all story-tellers will get you to 3-4 population, with only 1 person you are all but guarenteed to get a person in the first day or two, and with randy having no 'off switch' to his functioning you can find yourself quickly homing a lot of new pawns.
[/quote]

Eterm,

I edited your quote to just highlight the point I was trying to make earlier which is that Randy tries so hard to get you above the 3-4 colonist limit (and its not something I like).

I think maybe this would have been OK before Naked Brutality. I used to play exclusively Randy Tribal before Naked Brutality was a thing, and when you start with 5 colonists you rarely get the escape pod/wanderer events. However, to be truly Brutal Randy should be tweaked to not so easily push your colonist count up so early on. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Thanks for digging into the code though, that confirmed my suspicions.

AFGHANPSYCHO

Quote from: Broken Reality on July 24, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
Quote from: AFGHANPSYCHO on July 24, 2018, 02:04:51 PM
Could you please give us an estimate of when maybe 1.0 will be released. I've tried to play the game with the constant updates, but I end up spending 1-2 hours everyday before playing updating mods, figuring out what mods are broken, what mods are breaking the game, etc. I get to play for an hour, sometimes 3 if I have the time, then have to do it all over again the next day. Would rather just wait at this point.

Here's a thought how about either not using mods or go and play B18 which isn't getting changed daily or tell Rimworld not to patch in Steam. You opted in to test the 1.0 unstable you aren't forced to play it.

No need to be a douche. Was simply asking for a possible ETA.

Teleblaster18

Debug History Graphs from Last Night (Legit Version):

Naked Brutality
Cassandra/Rough/Temperate Forest (Year-Round Growing) - ~160 days completed
Version 1974

Gameplay Observations:

-Plenty of action last night: Simultaneous Toxic Fallout + Heatwave + Traders + Hostile, Non-Pirate Faction Sapper Raid with a relationship to one of my colonists (Father).  The Hostiles and Traders shot it out at the bottom of my base, with tons of casualties.  I added to the carnage from a safe distance.  After the fighting had ended, I rescued 4 friendlies, and captured 3 Hostile Faction members.  The father of my colonist was killed, which leads me to my next point:

-I'd really like to see the names on the graves again.

-Two rescued Friendly Faction members came down with infections, and self-tended instead of letting my much more capable Doctors do it for them.  I had a doctor standing by that waited until the very second that the infection could be treated: the "tend" option disappeared as soon as it could be treated, the Friendly stood up in the hospital bed and self-tended  This led to one of them dying unnecessarily.  Now that Friendlies will "rest until healed" in a player's hospital, maybe they should have self-tending disabled - but only when in a Hospital Bed (I really want them to keep self-tending overall, as it adds a great deal of depth to their characters...if given a choice, I'll put up with their suicidal infection self-tending)?  Which leads to the next observation:

-Friendlies who die on the map are still counting against my Faction Relationships.

-The game's first Poison Ship landed, which gave me an opportunity to try the new Traps, or so I thought.  8 colonists vs. 1 Inferno Cannon Centipede, 3 Charge Lancers...all 8 colonist fighting from a prepared pillbox, in the rain.  I deployed about 14-16 traps in front of the pillbox.

None of the Mechs triggered any traps, but the lone Inferno Cannon Centipede did manage to burn a few of them down, even in the rain.  The traps were easy to build, and I'm glad I can uninstall them, but the event got me to thinking what material I'm going to use to deploy them, if any.  The following isn't theory-crafting: it's my thought process.

Knowing that a trap will get destroyed after being triggered, it will be some time before I can even consider using any material other than Wood: I'm still transitioning out of Early game (I haven't even wired up my base for power yet), and Steel and finished Stone are both in short supply, and needed in other vital roles.  That leaves Wood as the only viable alternative.  I would invest in stone traps in B18 early on, but now, I'm hesitating because of the material loss, plus the fact that additional effort will have to be spent in re-building them.  Using Steel is out of the question entirely.  Balancing economics with security is going to be a significantly more intensive process.  I expect that biomes where wood is in short supply already will take a real hit from this, especially in the early game.

Since I watched a few Wooden traps go up in flames in the rain, I considered that massing a bunch of traps anywhere inside my base will have the end result of turning the whole place into more of a tinderbox than it already is.  I'm going to have to figure out a way to safely use them...if at all.

-I sent my first real caravan in 1.0.  I have a ton of experience with B18 caravans, and like the new system very much: it's an improvement in almost every way.

One request though: is there a way to make the system separate the healthy animals from permanently injured animals?  I have two Alpacas, and one of them has a damaged spine.  In my caravan, I wanted only the healthy Alpaca to travel with me, but the Caravan Selection menu didn't break out any difference between the two animals, and it auto-selected the injured Alpaca.  I caught the error in time before the Alpaca began to get loaded up with supplies (by selecting the healthy Alpaca to get added to the caravan, and then de-selecting the injured one), but it was kind of luck.  If I had traveled with the unhealthy animal, it would have felt like a "gotcha" moment.

This is kind of a leftover from B18 that I was hoping would be addressed in 1.0:  Caravan Menus often don't distinguish between perfectly healthy animals and permanently injured ones, and there's no way to tell what's going to get added to your caravan.  You can *sort-of* tell the difference in Trading menus because of the difference in price (a healthy Muffalo will sell for more than a 3-legged Muffalo), but we're flying blind right now in Caravan menus.

-I still want my Hauling Boars back.  Money talks...let's start talking price.  I'll have the GoFundMe page up within 20 minutes, and the money will be deposited in the off-shore bank account of your choice within 48 hours.  In the meantime, I'm giving my two boars-in-waiting the Alec Baldwin "Glengarry Glen Ross" speech about hauling:  "ABH!!!  Always be hauling! ALWAYS. BE. HAULING!  You can't haul shit? You ARE shit! Hit the bricks, pal, because you are going OUT!".  They at least put their coffee down.  Coffee is for haulers.

Some graphs from last night:

cactusmeat

Can we have colonists not tend 100% tended things immediately? I know the 4 hour gap exists so that I don't have to babysit the hospital, but it's annoying having them waste medicine/do worse tending. Also would be nice if doctors didn't use medicine for bruises. If it has anything to do with healing speed maaaaaaaybe it's worth using them, but not until I have more medicine that herbal medicine which is usually not the case.

If anything we should have medicine selection for type of injury, not just type of pawn.

drop pods and their load order needs to get looked at: colonists who cannot haul jump inside and wait for the rest of the caravan to get ready, and starve themselves. items cannot be added or removed from the caravan/pods while it is loading. I'm not sure if they load 1 pod fully then start the next one, but they should. I don't use them myself, just watching streams they seem super clunky.

Toast

Quote from: cactusmeat on July 24, 2018, 04:07:15 PM
drop pods and their load order needs to get looked at: colonists who cannot haul jump inside and wait for the rest of the caravan to get ready, and starve themselves.

Hmm... in my experience in 1.0, not true. My one "incapable of hauling" pawn loads up the cargo pods with stuff before he gets in.

I have no idea why Cassandra thinks a colonist has died on this map where the crashlanders have literally just crashlanded:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/994618220843040811/A92ACCECC1C306EB98AEB322694AD4EC8BA2CE8B/

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/994618220843041556/7840486FE6FDC66450204C523725F1F63E2E8024/

mcduff

I'm getting a lot of my domestic animals accidentally hitting traps now. Way more than before. I've lost about 5 in 10 days, which is a bit irritating, especially since traps are so much further apart.

MellerYeller

I've been playing 1.0 for a little while now, and I've noticed a few things that might need to change (prepare yourself, a super intense amount of reading ahead):

• I'm having a pretty serious issue this playthrough with food poisoning, in that food poisoning from "Dirty Cooking Area" is occurring far too often. I'm getting a case with that cause like at least once or twice a day, even though I have 2 colonists cleaning almost constantly (one's my warden, and I have no prisoners atm, and the other is a teenager who doesn't really know how to do much else) and I have the whole kitchen covered in sterile tiles. I find this quite annoying, because if one of my cooks gets food poisoning, it only perpetuates the problem via their vomit contaminating their food.
    • Another issue I've had is the cooking of simple meals, even though I have fresh meat waiting to be butchered and lavish meals are top of the bills list. One way this could be fixed is by adding a conditional to the bill that allows for checking of unrelated item numbers (e.g. Cook simple meals up to 30 IF there are no fresh animal corpses in storage), and I think this is the easiest solution.
    • I had placed some of the old deadfall traps from before their radius was tweaked. They don't work, (which is fine, it makes sense: they are too close together) but they also persist in my save as objects in the game with no way to deconstruct, reinstall, or uninstall. I also cant place any new deadfall traps around them. It really puts a hole in my defensive perimeter.
    • Speaking of deadfall traps, I'm not a super big fan of having to reconstruct them every time they're used. I know I am used to just clicking "Auto-Rearm" and forgetting about them, but I also understand the balance of not being able to reset large traps capable of tearing mechs apart without the use of any resources. However, let me explain my setup and maybe you'll see where I'm coming from: I only use one or two builders ever. In fact, my save in 1.0 is the first to use more than one builder. In this way, my builders are incredibly skilled and the legwork of hauling the material to the blueprint is done by the less skilled oafs of the colony (kudos to you guys for creating a function similar to the "Hand me that Brick" mod, which is a mod that if I don't have, I just don't play the game). This means, though, that every time a deadfall trap is triggered, it diverts the attention of the builders away from their glorious and important work of constructing new defenses, repairing the walls, building bedrooms and such, and instead forces them to personally reset the traps so that my colony won't fall apart if a large raid shows up. I think it is perfectly reasonable for the traps to have a reset function but the resets cost a few steel each. In this way, the architects can get back to what's important, and the others can take care of the traps.
    And here's some features I woodlove(.tumblr.com, pardon me if this is an actual valid url)
    • Let me express my wish for a way to produce Neutroamine. It could be a plant that is extremely hard to grow and fairly slow, it could be a way to refine it from other sources, I would even suggest it is in the spacer area of the tech tree, but the reliance of better medicine on traders that show up at random and rarely have it is annoying at best
    • I would also love to see a prisoner system redo, perhaps just a "Prisoner Area" that you put down that is only valid when entirely enclosed. Ideally, prisoners can be assigned beds, cells and barracks, and can have a separate hospital and dining room.
    • A way to break down prisoner resistance without actually trying to recruit them would also be much appreciated
    • Prisoner jobs such as crafting, cooking, and cleaning in the prisoner area would be pretty cool.
    All in all though the changes in 1.0 seem to be pretty balanced and relatively bug free, awesome job to the devs! <3

zizard

I'm finding a components squeeze due to their increased cost from traders forcing a fabrication rush before the visible component ore is depleted. High tech bench 10 each. Multi analyser 8. Fab bench 12. So 30 total on top of the regular load for building structures / benches / gear. And each pocket of components might give 10-15 with perhaps only 5-6 visible pockets on the map. Then once you get past this point you usually start getting nonstop mech raids which smack you in the face with bags of ironic components. Some ways to fix are:

-cheaper components from traders

-more component deposits, possibly split into two types of ore, one easy and one hard to mine

-increase component recovery rate from smelting (steel rate can be the same)

-raiders carry components sometimes (not sure how this would be justified though)

The crafting exp is also sharply divided pre and post fabrication. Before component making, almost all gear takes very little work, and so gives almost no crafting exp. Afterwards, the crafters are constantly churning components and adv components, and always end up 15+.

5thHorseman

Quote from: anotherrimworld on July 24, 2018, 10:05:24 AM
I noticed that the text describing happy transhumanists in Needs is always one behind. ie Happy to have 3 bionic parts when in fact there are 4
I also noticed that a normal pawn with 2 bionics didn't get a mood hit. I thought maybe they changed it but maybe it's got an off-by-one as well?
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

anotherrimworld

Quote from: Zombull on July 24, 2018, 02:01:02 PM
So now releasing prisoners has less effect on good will.

So to be clear, Tynan, you do not want us to be able to achieve peace with an enemy by releasing their members we capture?

Because of the infrequency of raids for a given faction and the high rate of death on downed, we were already getting too few prisoners to release to offset the seasonal goodwill decay. Now it's even worse.

I'm not sure what the point is.

Is it less now? I found the numbers all over the map but I thought it had to do with how much I healed them. One guy was seconds away from bleeding out who, after saving him, gave me 21 points. Next was 16 and most were around there

Eterm

I just watched a colonist take off a good synthread button down shirt to equip a poor dog leather button down shirt, is the 0.7% better sharp protection really worth it?

NiftyAxolotl

Quote from: Tynan on July 24, 2018, 12:57:47 AM
Animals now instantly go to newly assigned animal areas when player assigns them.
Does this re-open the Sacrificial Chicken exploit? If I order a single animal to a 1x1 area in the path of an incoming raid, will they all fire their rocket launchers at it? I guess I won't be buying as many Psychic Lances this game...

bbqftw

Quote from: NiftyAxolotl on July 24, 2018, 07:35:29 PM
Quote from: Tynan on July 24, 2018, 12:57:47 AM
Animals now instantly go to newly assigned animal areas when player assigns them.
Does this re-open the Sacrificial Chicken exploit? If I order a single animal to a 1x1 area in the path of an incoming raid, will they all fire their rocket launchers at it? I guess I won't be buying as many Psychic Lances this game...
This has always been a strategy with or without instant assigned area response.

cactusmeat

And the fix for sacrificial chickens would be for the AI to have some threat detection, preferring to hit turrets or colonists with rockets.

Crow_T

Cassandra Rough, Tribal, about 1.5 years, Temperate Forest

The raid scaling on this difficulty seems better than previous versions, as in easier :P there were more but they didn't get difficult as quickly.

I didn't have a good researcher, but I had a fast learner with research at 0 which I used, was at L11 by the end of electricity. I think the tribal start research speed was pretty good, maybe make complex clothing and furniture longer, but as mentioned before have a cold weather solution for clothing, maybe a cloth/wool only one like the tuque. I was into complex clothing within a year just for the tuques, it'd be fun to stay tribal for at least a year or so.

It seems like visitors/traders quite often show up right as everyone is going to bed, it'd be nice to have them come in the morning so you didn't have to wait for a pawn to get up and eat.

So, I got greedy and died- a poison ship with an inferno cannon centipede showed up, 3 of my pawns (out of 7) had the muscle parasites at the time. I was doing a decent job kiting with 3 longish-range pawns (2 great bows and a basic rifle) but, after a couple of lucky misses took a direct hit and 2 pawns went down. Oh boy, then I got sloppy. One thing I'd like to see is better pathfinding when rescuing, as in don't walk right in front of the threat, or maybe take the same route back as they took going in. Also, frickin' fire. Is there a fire proof aspect to clothing? Catching fire is the worst, it really breaks a game plan (again, I got greedy, lesson learned).

Muffalo were very easily angered, I riled up the herd twice. I had a rescue where I snuck the pawn around one way and they decided to walk past 5 angry muffalo on the way back with the injured. I had no such issues with wild boar which was surprising, I killed them with impunity.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20