Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman666

I foresee a cooldown on a military aid option. :P

A RANG MA

Quote from: spyderwebsc on July 26, 2018, 03:52:23 PM
Pirate merchant has a slave for sale that is the same person I have locked up in the jailhouse.

Pirate traders can buy your prisoners as well. Does that slave show up for you to purchase, or to sell?

East

Quote from: Lanilor on July 26, 2018, 01:07:54 PM

- There is too less variance in plants. For example corn is pretty much useless now. It grows really long so an increased risk of blight/fire/whatever to not be able to harvest it and if has even a bit less yield than rice (with factored grow time). The fact that it can be eaten raw and stays longer fresh is not that impactful at all.
Strawberries have a too high rist of food poisoning, so that even the reason to grow them when you have no cook or no time for cooking is too risky.
Even rice has not much benefit compared to patatoes on normal soil. It's just that it is faster and has a minimal highter yield to grow time. Rice is good in hydroponics of cause, but that is something highly biome dependent.
Apart from potatoes everything has the same fertility requirements and sensitivity. There is potential for more variation and it's not that difficult for a new player to understand if that is the reason to simplify it. Like a plant that only grows on rich soil but has good yield, so people may take the risk an either build a base near a rich soil patch to secure it (but that area may have other downsides (like less natural protection)) or plant it far away and risk raider burning or animals eating it or need to build extra protection. Potatoes could be less effective on normal soil than rice. Berries should be useful too. Something to take the risk of food poisoning or no poisoning at all.
Has anyone ever planted dandelions? In theory I could plant them on sand for animals, but I can't create a growing zone on sand, so not possible. And otherwise haygrass is way more effective than dandelions as animal food. Or even kibble of cause.

1)
100% soil based on the latest state  ( harvest yield / grow time)
rice (2) > Corn (1.9469) > Potatoes (1.89655)

2)
potato = gravel soil

rice = short grow time / High efficiency. standard.

corn = A small number of plant pawns. Useful. Less hands-on.  When you run an extra large farm use. Of course it's all inside the wall.

Strawberries= Very useful for one-person start. In recent 1.0, I had a lot of Eat wild berries and strawberries in my naked staring It is not a big problem., the Meal I cooked with low cooking stats is more severe food poison.

Karmos

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Survival Struggle: Permadeath
Biome: Temperate Forest
Hours played in the last 3 days: 7

A few bugs/things I have noticed recently:

• Sappers often have at least one person with EMP grenades. If they were launching an open assault it might make sense to have them to deal with turrets, but for sappers they don't do much (in my case).
  • Sappers waiting for their friends to break down walls with grenades sometimes wander into the grenades and get hurt.
  • Sappers often choose a more difficult path through mineable rocks rather than a shorter path through built walls immediately adjacent to their chosen path.
  • Herbivorous animals do not consume hay brought along while in caravans and hay does not increase the "days of food" count.
  • When starting on a map with a huge river and caves, hives spawned in the river. I also got a "Failed to find all necessary river flow data" error from the dev console when generating the map.
  • Sometimes when a pawn collapses of exhaustion they will immediately wake back up.
  • When a pawn is suddenly able to walk while in the middle of being kidnapped, the kidnapper will continue on without them, ignoring them, as if nothing happened.
Some balancing things:

• Sniper turrets are so accurate and powerful that they feel overpowered. Often, all it takes is one shot to kill or down someone. If you have one or more positioned over a long open swathe of slow terrain (e.g. marsh) they are perhaps too effective.
  • Lancers on the whole are incredibly vulnerable these days. All it takes to take one down is one person with decent melee skills and a shield belt. You could probably avert the issue just by making mechanoid invasions always a mix between lancers and scythers and never only lancers.
  • When a mechanoid drop invasion "goes haywire" and pods drop all over the place, it leaves the mechanoids vulnerable and makes them incredibly easy to deal with as they get strung out across the map.
  • Prisoner recruiting seems to happen way, way too fast compared to B18 and earlier. I am getting a lot of prisoners with really low recruit difficulty. I imagined you lowered recruit difficulty value across the board to compensate for introducing resistance, but I think you may have gone too far.

zizard

Storyteller: cass
Difficulty: ext
Biome: bor for
Hours played in the last 3 days: like 10

Quote from: Tynan on July 26, 2018, 08:55:17 AM
I'm not sure I understand the complaint. Excellent is still the same quality as it always was, and MW/LG are both "higher" than they were before. All that was removed was some "steps" to a ladder which were already very close together - the ladder is taller than before.

The stats ladder might be the same or taller but the game time ladder is shorter. Right now you can get good/excellent in first year, and that's the end of it until inspirations. Before pushing to excellent and MW was something available with 10+ builders later on. Syrchalis suggestion of moving MW to regular craftable but rare would be a good step.

I think recruiting is actually too easy currently. Before you might have to sustain 5 prisoners with pretty low % chances and it was an interesting decision whether to keep or release harder ones as your colony needs fluctuated. Now you know pretty precisely how long it will take since the RNG roll at the end is usually high chance. Perhaps it would be good to move some of the resistance back into the RNG.

topace3000

Quote from: zizard on July 26, 2018, 04:18:39 PM
Storyteller: cass
Difficulty: ext
Biome: bor for
Hours played in the last 3 days: like 10

Quote from: Tynan on July 26, 2018, 08:55:17 AM
I'm not sure I understand the complaint. Excellent is still the same quality as it always was, and MW/LG are both "higher" than they were before. All that was removed was some "steps" to a ladder which were already very close together - the ladder is taller than before.

The stats ladder might be the same or taller but the game time ladder is shorter. Right now you can get good/excellent in first year, and that's the end of it until inspirations. Before pushing to excellent and MW was something available with 10+ builders later on. Syrchalis suggestion of moving MW to regular craftable but rare would be a good step.

I think recruiting is actually too easy currently. Before you might have to sustain 5 prisoners with pretty low % chances and it was an interesting decision whether to keep or release harder ones as your colony needs fluctuated. Now you know pretty precisely how long it will take since the RNG roll at the end is usually high chance. Perhaps it would be good to move some of the resistance back into the RNG.

You could always get good/excellent in the first year.  That hasn't changed.

EdgarDruin

Storyteller: Cassandra Classic
Difficulty: Rough
Biome: Temperate Forest
Hours played in the last 3 days: 12-15 hours

Quote from: XeoNovaDan on July 26, 2018, 01:47:24 PM
Even if you restrict your animals to a zone, they'll still occasionally consume some random thing - whether it be a meal instead of zone-microed kibble, or beer, or luciferium. The only real fixes to these problems are either to wall in your drugs completely, or not have animals in the first place.

That being said, the random eating is infrequent enough that you don't really notice it until you get over 50 or so animals.

I went back to the game this evening to take a look.  I gave up after screen capturing the addiction images last night.

Out of 7 dogs, 4 still considered puppies, 5 have either a large or massive tolerance for alcohol and one is addicted to luciferium.  6 out of 7 dogs I let run wild are now addicts.

Random eating is not infrequent, even when getting to kibble has always been an easy option for the dogs.  It's frequent and it's frustrating to find that most of your dogs are addicted to something.

I typically do set pretty strict boundaries for my dogs, but that makes using them for hauling anything and everything a little more difficult, so in the spirit of testing, I let them run loose, why set a new area for them, lets see how they do!

Clearly, it's just a newbie trap, hahaha, now all your dogs are drug addicts, you fool!  (Though for someone with over 1000 hours into this game, you'd think I'd know better ...)

As I've said before, I love the game.  The only things I'm posting in this thread now are things I find frustrating.  Things that make me turn off the game and walk away, and this was one of them.

And for this issue, I've created a nice zone using the invert zone option, making sure they can't get at the beer and can go nowhere near the drugs but can still get at everything else on the map.  No more luciferium dogs.  Doesn't mean I agree with the game's default of letting them graze on drugs in the first place ... I leave food and other items all over my house.  My shepherd wouldn't dare touch it.  She eats her food, I eat the rest. :)

lauri7x3

Storyteller: randy
Difficulty: Survival Struggle: Permadeath
Biome: Temperate swamp
Hours played in the last 3 days: i have no idea how to even find that out

it seems to me that catatonic downing appears way more much often and its super annoying. especially when u have a small colony...

A RANG MA

Quote from: EdgarDruin on July 26, 2018, 06:10:42 PM
Doesn't mean I agree with the game's default of letting them graze on drugs in the first place ... I leave food and other items all over my house.  My shepherd wouldn't dare touch it.  She eats her food, I eat the rest. :)

Sounds like you have a smart dog. My dog eats random trash off of the floor and I have to pull it out of her mouth sometimes; who's to say dogs in Rimworld wouldn't randomly eat some luciferium that's lying around?

I Am Testing This Game

One reason item progression feels very flat is that in old beta builds, durability mattered for the effectiveness of the item

So there was a micro-progression within items of the same quality, from a somewhat damaged good weapon from a raider, to a full health item you manufactured. Usually it was hard to get a full health item from a raider, so buying and making them was encouraged.

Now you capture a good weapon from a raider and there is no need to manufacture it.

The old system had flaws, namely it was difficult to compare items because you had to take into account item type, condition and quality, and the in game stats were not always clear. But it felt much more like a simulation, where items had real characteristics, and there were tradeoffs involved in scavenging from the dead.

Current system is very gamey, with a small number of fixed improvements, which often just drop off raiders.

Madman666

Storyteller: Randy
Biome: Temp forest (30 growdays)
Hours played in the last 3 days: probably around 5

Agreed. I also feel that removing item's intergrity affecting the stats wasn't a good move. You had a solid reason to craft your own weapons, cause pirates usually brought crap. Now you don't really have to, since even good AR with 3% left on it is enough. Add to that pirates usually having normal or better weapons and you don't really feel the need to go for your own weapon manufacture process at all. Unless you wanna use that creative inspiration to get a cheat lance.

Upd: Sorry, will do.

Tynan

Madman please post this info, thanks.

Storyteller:
Difficulty:
Biome:
Hours played in the last 3 days:
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Teleblaster18

Storyteller: Cassandra
Biome: Temperate Forest (Permanent Summer)
Hours played in the last 3 days: ~30+

Gameplay Notes:

The game last night/this morning, without putting too fine a point on it, was an absolute shitstorm.  I had a few normal raids, periodically...nothing particularly noteworthy. 

Then the Psychic Ship landed.

In a 48-hour in-game timeframe while preparing to attack the ship, the following events occured to my 9 colonists:

-A bonded colony animal (an Arctic Wolf) goes manhunter after a Psychic Pulse, injuring 1 colonist, and sustaining near-fatal injuries itself.
-A colony prisoner from an earlier raid goes into a Berserk Rage, resulting in 2 colonist and 2 prisoner injuries
-A colonist has a Mental Break – Corpse Obsession, which prevents him from joining the fight.
-Another colonist has a Mental Break - Ambrosia Binge, which prevents him, too, from joining the fight.
-Another colonist gets food poisoning
-A Turkey goes manhunter

The Psychic Ship is attacked from heavy cover, releasing 2 Melees, 2 Lancers, and 1 Heavy Charge Blaster Centipede.

-During the fighting, yet another colonist has a Mental Break - Berserk Rage, also preventing him from fighting...from fighting the Mechs, that is.  Not from bashing the shit out of my somewhat desperate and banged-up remaining 6 colonists.

I destroy the Mechs, and kill the ship.  No savescumming, no deaths: 3 imminent deaths, another 3 wounded, but fortunately no amputated limbs.

Less than 12 game hours after the ship is killed?

A Pirate Siege hits almost simultaneously with a Cold Snap that kills off the majority of my food supply, hay supply and Devilstrand.

Good times. :)

A note on traps, which I had a chance to fully deploy against a later all-Melee Mech raid:  they're fairly powerful, but I'm really not planning on using anything but wood to build them for quite some time.  My stone production is precarious at the moment, and I can't afford the hit. 

Knowing that a triggered trap will yield no salvageable resources greatly influences this decision, both now and ostensibly later in the game...even when I can afford to use more valuable materials.  Of course, choosing to build anything out of highly flammable material has some serious drawbacks...which I know full well that Inferno Cannons and Incediary Launchers are going to exploit.

Some graphs:

EdgarDruin

Quote from: A RANG MA on July 26, 2018, 06:19:19 PM
Sounds like you have a smart dog. My dog eats random trash off of the floor and I have to pull it out of her mouth sometimes; who's to say dogs in Rimworld wouldn't randomly eat some luciferium that's lying around?

Other than the diet section on the stats tab for the dog?

Diet: Vegetables, raw meat, corpses, seeds, animal products, meals, processed foods, liquor (I still don't understand how they get the cap off, but ok, my bad I guess), kibble.

Nothing about drugs.

Serenity

Quote from: Madman666 on July 26, 2018, 06:45:42 PM
Add to that pirates usually having normal or better weapons and you don't really feel the need to go for your own weapon manufacture process at all.
I found it useful early on to make some more bolt action rifles. Raiders often only come with pistols at that point