Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sig

Of all the new art, I also don't agree with how meat and silver look like.

I have no knowledge of anywhere in the west where meat is cut, stored and presented in the form of cubes, unless its some form of grinded meat, so for me and I guess also for the rest who don't like it, it looks unnatural. A drawing of a steak, or two steaks one on top of the other would be more representative. http://victorious.wikia.com/wiki/File:Cartoon-steak-006.jpg

Regarding silver, considering it is used as currency, it could be expected for inhabitants of the planet to have adopted a better way of transporting storing and counting silver, like ingots of different lengths, since balls are harder to store and measure. Also considering it is a metal, it would appeal more to the collective imagination to have it presented in the shape of an ingot, rather than the actual stones which can represent anything. A new player would never tell that the silver texture is a metal, at first sight it resembles rubble or something else. https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdGI4fWqH2ZhKfPcX9Wy0PSUEwLuwRskKbNZvGPUDDfuvxktOM

I like the rest of the new textures, but it will take time to get used to the new components.

Listen1

Regarding the new textures: Everything is pretty danm good!

I don't mind the Silver, since is also a mineable resource, it kinda makes sense to be this way. But I have to admit it is hard to find in the middle of a stockpile.

Except for Meats... I trully believe that meat was OK the way it was.

Lanilor

Quote from: Jibbles on July 27, 2018, 06:13:02 AM
Textures: I'm only bringing it up since it's going in a direction I don't like.

Silver, Insect meat, eggs look too similar to me. 

I don't like the look on most items when they're stacked.
Things like leather/wood/plasteel/neutroamine are fine.  But stacking stuff like meals and meds - reusing the same texture just looks off. Still don't care for the steel when stacked. I'd rather stick to one image type of thing. Yayo, and chocolate for example. Another example would be chemfuel; I wouldn't want to see multiple jugs on one tile, but rather it progress to something like larger jug into barrel instead.
Meats, maybe you could package them? Meals, display em in small trayrack when fully stacked? Idk
Components man, gonna take some time to adjust lol. They're not bad, just preferred the old ones.

I agree with most of this. I don't see why some textures needed to get reworked.

Bad:
- Old meat looked fine and clean, now it's more a mess. Weird legos, a shoe?, too bright red
- Old healroot the same. It looks like weeds that I need to remove from my fields. The old ones were quite iconic to rimworld and had something unique
- Stacked meals and meds like that don't fit the top-down style. And not everything needs different textures for stack sizes. It looses clearness, even more in larger stockpiles. Maybe 2 or max. 3 are ok.
- Components and abstract components had an abstract design but it was quite fitting. This looks like it ties to give a good representation of what components really are but fails. And no real need to do that anyway.
- Silver is potatoes. Not sure if this should be coins but even then it wouldn't fit to mine coins and I'm not sure if it fits the rimworld style. I liked the old 1.0 texture of it.
- Shells look too much like wood. Again one thing I don't see the reason to change it. The old ones were fine and clear.

Neutral:
- The new leather rolls in general are nice. But smaller step now with the thin roll looks a bit weird. I would maybe use the large roll for a normal stack and a full one with 2 or 3 rolls like wood, if it is even needed to have multiple again.
- Jelly doesn't really need stack icons too imo, but it's ok.
- Stack sizes for pemmican are ok I think but the full stack is too big and touches items on the next cell

Good:
- Tea is fine. I had no problem with the old one and I have no with this one.
- Neutroamine are nice to have more than 1 bottle there.
- Bigger cloth roll fits well
- Old change but I like the steel and I really like the plasteel
- Hyperweave, having a smaller texture for the small stack I have fits well.

----
Same tribal arid game as before.
No content mods. (I use Progress Renderer (map renderings), Simple Stockpile Presets (presets for filter settings) and Single Plant Texture Patch (patches rice mash count to 1))

--

Edit:
I just saw that the old meat could have different colors and I'm wondering why that was never used and removed. I often click through my meat stockpiles to see how much and what types I have. Slightly different colors for each type would make this a lot easier and gives an extra tough.

Kalre

not a fan of the new component art but everything else is 10/10

Serenity

Yeah, the meat is pretty horrible. I don't know why but the cubes from the large meat just stand out too much

I can live with the silver, but I agree that ingots would be the most logical choice

Components I can probably get used to, but for now it's a bit weird

The growing healroots are pretty nice

MoronicCinamun

(sorry to post bugs here, but I'm not getting any feedback in the actual bug section so I can't tell if they're noticed).

I'm really enjoying the new caravan changes, everything about it really: the info, the depth, the ability to rest and tend and carry and all that jazz on the go. Pretty sure I have a bug here though:
Despite having a double bedroll (ofc I was too slow on the screenshot button, but it does in fact say "resting using 2 bed rolls"), Matt's comfort isn't going up, despite it having that arrow like it is, it has been at 0% for days now. The thing is Izolda's comfort is going up while resting, so she sure is benefiting from it. Also, they are married, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't want to share the bedroll; it's like the game reports them as both using it but they're not actually doing so.

UPDATE: so a day later, they switched: now Izolda is uncomfortable while Matt has the comfort, still says "using 2 bed rolls".

[attachment deleted due to age]

fecalfrown

The new meat graphics are truly bizarre.

Anarcraft

I noticed power armor was renamed "Marine Armor".  What "marines" are on a RimWorld, there are no governments?  I suggest naming the two items "Power Helmet" and "Power Armor".

Lanilor

Gifting colonists and prisoners to another faction does not give the usual mood debuffs for selling into slavery. Also the relation gain from this looks a bit too high.

XeoNovaDan

Also jumping on the new sprite commentary train: the new meat sprites do look a little bit odd and generally way too bold. I personally liked the steak-like appearance of the old larger meat sprites, and the old lean meat sprites. The new 75-stack human meat sprites also look way too thick.

I like the new mortar shell, psychite tea and textile sprites, and I'm indifferent about the new silver sprite. The new component sprites seem a bit strange (not to the same degree as meat), and still prefer the old ones. Meal and medicine stacks being more visible are also pretty neat.

mcduff

Quote from: NiftyAxolotl on July 26, 2018, 08:53:40 PM
Storyteller: Randy Random
Difficulty: "Survival Struggle", permadeath
Biome: Temperate Forest (50/60 nominal growing days, feels like year-round)
Hours played in the last 3 days: 8-ish?
Tribal start, animal swarm strategy. 6th of Aprimay, 5502

I'll likely post some animal-related feedback later (preview: Alpacas correctly OP on warm, grassy biomes), but I wanted to note a most unusual happening:

Breixo - an abrasive misogynist - and Red - a bloodlusting psychopath woman - are two of my best growers. They hate each other so much that they had a social fight three days in a row. To deal with this, I offset their sleeping schedules so they aren't awake at the same time as much. I am seriously considering drawing a line down my growing zones to keep them apart more. If that doesn't solve the problem, I might amputate Red's ears to stop her from hearing the insults.

This is... um... awesome? A non-combat, non-food-related colony management challenge that isn't solved by generic mood buffs! Shouldn't this be much more common? I've never encountered this before in 400+ hours of playing.
+1

Lori1979

that new look of meat is ugly.... why change it?

Zombull

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Merciless
Scenario: Naked Brutality
Biome: Boreal Forest
Commitment mode: (yes/no) no
Hours played in the last 2 days: 15-20 (unless you mean this colony, in which case it's brand new)
Complete mod list: none

Started with the pawn shown below. Immediately built a bow, hunted a deer and started to build a camp fire.

Mental Break: Sad Wander (reason: hungry)

Seriously? Already? Okay...

Waited for him to snap out of it. Built the camp fire, cooked a meal. Ate the meal. Started to cook a second meal.

Mental Break: Sad Wander (reason: naked)

WTF!?

Waited it out again. A couple of days later, after capturing first raider yet another mental break!

And again.

And again.

Tynan: I think your mental break cooldown might not be working! Maybe it's the Too Smart trait, but regardless these back to back to back mental breaks are a bit much.

acorneyelid

Agreed with majority that meat and silver textures are just blergh. I won't restate the reasoning as others have summed them up quite nicely. Other textures I feel I just need to get used to.

One misc thing I noticed is redundant sentences for escape pod incident.

topace3000

First time reporting!  Not at home so I can't pull the chart etc. but hopefully this is still helpful.

Storyteller: Good 'ol Randy
Difficulty: Very Hard (or whatever it's been renamed to; the 2nd hardest mode)
Biome: Boreal Forest (random note: why not just call this "Taiga"?)
Commitment mode: yes
Hours played in the last 2 days: Played approximately 5-6 hours, started colony last night
Complete mod list: N/A (vanilla is the finest of flavors)

Started with 3 colonists from the starting 8 (no rerolls) with very strong skills but a few gaps (8+ in medical/plants/cooking/crafting/animals/intellectual, but no one with social, very low mining, pretty weak on combat, etc.). 

Randy was very generous early on, dropping down ship parts once and food twice.  Hunting was so plentiful that I didn't really need the food, but it was still appreciated and made the curve much easier.

As per usual, I had a very solid outdoors farming setup and had harvested my first set of "fast" crops when Randy threw an early-mid autumn cold snap my way.  Fair play in the boreal forest, I suppose, but even after harvesting my partially grown corn I lost thousands of food.  The only reason I am OK is that the caribous are quite plentiful.

With a relatively skilled researcher the new research tree/curve felt challenging but reasonable.  I am just now getting to turrets.  It might make sense to reduce the cost of some of the pre-industrial techs, though, as there's just no way I'm touching something like tree sowing at a cost of 1,000 anytime soon when I can get my people better combat gear for 500.  In other games I have played on earlier builds of 1.0, the research felt very difficult without a high skill researcher.  I would consider flattening the curve on research somewhat so that even low level researchers can make a bit more progress.

After a slow start on the growth front, Randy suddenly became extremely generous with the new colonists.  He dropped two space refugees within the span of about two minutes, and it got to the point that I was just releasing captives to free up space for better prospects.  I am sitting on 6 colonists now, about to be 7.

In terms of raids, I faced very little of significance (two single-man raids, I believe) until I was suddenly beset by 2 raids and a manhunter pack (huskies) in rapid succession.  The first raid was 5-6 natives with melee weapons, a few of whom were "warriors" and a few of whom were "penitents."  I had thankfully just managed to craft new weapons for my folks (see below) and we handled that raid, albeit with a number of injuries.  Immediately after, the manhunter pack showed up--5 or so huskies.  I hid indoors to heal up, and while hiding a weak raid from one of the modern factions showed up.  I took advantage of the manhunters going after these guys to clean the whole thing up without too much of an issue, just a couple minor injuries, and rescued one of the huskies to train.

Speaking of crafting, after a wedding occurred I have been blessed with two inspired moods, one of which was crafting (sadly, on my level 6 crafter, rather than my 14).  The inspired crafting mood resulted in an excellent bolt rifle.  My level 14 crafter also output a good bolt rifle and an excellent shotgun.  Still waiting on masterwork gear.  As a brief aside, the wedding mood buff feels just slightly overpowered.  30 days of a huge mood boost is an enormous boon, and anyone who attends the wedding also gets a 10 day boost.  I would maybe knock the 30-day mood boost down to 20 or so, as currently it feels I have carte blanche to do anything without any fear of mood -based repercussions.

Some random notes:
-Just as a social fistfight ended, the combatant colonists both briefly appeared to draw their guns on one another.  This was apparently a graphical issue, but it scared the shit out of me for a moment and could confuse new players.
-One of my colonists managed to trap himself in a 1-tile space while building two walls meant to block up a gap in the terrain and had to deconstruct the walls to escape.
-Infections feel trivial with a skilled doctor and modern medicine.  This is probably how it should be.
-The gearing for the 3-man start feels fairly generous even on very hard.  In particular, 30 medicine is enough to last for years if used selectively.