Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Quote from: bbqftw on July 30, 2018, 12:20:19 AM
It seems thoroughly odd and bad that you can't control your pawns resting,...
To be fair you can't really directly control your pawn's resting even in the colony.
At best you can set a "sleep" restriction, but even then if they aren't tired they won't rest.

I do agree controlling the Caravan in general needs to be improved though.

dogthinker

Storyteller: Randy
Difficulty: Merciless
Biome/hilliness: Temperate, flat, road, river
Commitment mode: yes
Current colony age (days): 128
Hours played in the last 2 days: ~20

I like the idea of having a permanently hostile faction (pirates), but I feel like it takes something away from the game for there to be no benefit to treating the enemy wounded (I guess I could sell them as slaves, but IIRC there's a mood debuff from that, that doesn't seem worth the silver.) Perhaps it should be possible to ransom them? Or perhaps a tiny mood buff for setting them free (and perhaps a comparable mood penalty for bloodlust and incapable of caring colonists ;)

Currently I just leave pirates to die in the field, unless their bio looks good enough to recruit... But this doesn't really feel thematic if I don't want to play my own faction as an evil one.

iamomnivore

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty:Merciless Struggle
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Forest / Mountain
Commitment mode: (yes/no) Yes
Current colony age (days): 60
Hours played in the last 2 days: 10 hours?
Complete mod list: None

Quests are still not properly representing the challenge. Refugee Rescue quest: "Three turrets" was three turrets, 2 enemy pawns, and a mortar ... There was no shooting wires, even while dodging the turret, with one of the pawns attacking to flush my lonesome pawn out. I sent one pawn (out of only 3, due to a streak of bad luck,) with a bolt-action rifle ... not happening.

Also, I had the same three colonists, no prisoners, no animals -- Escaped refugee event has 12-13? enemies. Can't do that, even with my traps and such.

Madman666

Quote from: dogthinker on July 30, 2018, 12:31:00 AM
Perhaps it should be possible to ransom them? Or perhaps a tiny mood buff for setting them free (and perhaps a comparable mood penalty for bloodlust and incapable of caring colonists ;)

Ransoming pirates, when treating and releasing them doesn't improve relations wouldn't make much sense - it means pirates just don't care about their grunts and won't give you anything. However, i like the idea of having a small lasting moodlet for treating and releasing a prisoner, similar to the one you have when you lose a prisoner, but positive one. And factions like outlanders and tribes could actually offer a ransom, since those do care about releasing\treating their pawns.

Perq

Sorry for being annoying with that, but I'd like to remind again that colonists not remembering when they slept once they went caravaning is still pretty damn annoying. :V
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

zizard

Hello, I experienced a mortar missing like 10 times against a psychic ship. Is it using a uniform distribution per tile for FMR? That would not be good because then it is actually more like to hit at the edge than at the centre. A normal distribution would be better.

5thHorseman

Quote from: zizard on July 30, 2018, 02:44:12 AM
Hello, I experienced a mortar missing like 10 times against a psychic ship.

I had a guy shoot a mortar about 45 degrees off from where I aimed it. Then I stopped using mortars.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Greep

I think at one time it used to take like 10 shots to mortar a ship down to 50%.  Now it seems to be like 3 hits.  So even if it misses a lot it's pretty good.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Roolo

I don't get the complaining about mortars. They feel just right to me. I have three in my camp, and with any raid, even the ones that move in directly, I manage to get at least one, and often multiple hits, doing significant damage. As for sieges, they very often manage to hit the enemy mortar shells, wiping out half the siege, and forcing the raiders to do a reckless charge at my defences. Even against mechanoid ships I find them sometimes useful, the emp mortar explosion radius is quite big, and the stun effect lasts almost as long as the recharge time of the mortar, and I can use my least capable pawns or wounded pawns to operate the mortars. With three mortars, at least some mechanoids are stunned during most of the fight, which makes a huge difference.

So again, I don't get the complaining. Sure, they don't solve any problem you have, but I'm glad they don't do that. Instead they are a nice asset that complements your other defenses, which is exactly what they should be in my opinion. I think people keep making the mistake of only using one mortar, seeing it miss a few times, and then concluding: well this is lame. Maybe something in the description like: "not very accurate, but effective when used on large groups, and with multiple of them" should be added to make this clear.

zizard

Hello the sole point was to aggro a psychic ship without getting storytold by lancers.

Roolo

Quote from: zizard on July 30, 2018, 03:34:58 AM
Hello the sole point was to aggro a psychic ship without getting storytold by lancers.

Sure, but that's not the sole point of mortars. You can just use a fast pawn for that, with a long range weapon.

zizard

Quote from: Roolo on July 30, 2018, 03:38:14 AM

Sure, but that's not the sole point of mortars. You can just use a fast pawn for that, with a long range weapon.

It is possible for a lancer to catch up and fire a shot at a non bionic colonist using a sniper rifle.

Tynan

New build is up. No massive changes on this one, it's largely a tweaking and miscellaneous fixing build.

Feedback on gameplay stories is most useful, of course. Don't worry too much about the visuals. When you do post feedback please begin your post with this info:

Storyteller:
Difficulty:
Biome/hilliness:
Commitment mode: (yes/no)
Current colony age (days):
Hours played in the last 2 days:
Complete mod list:

Thanks for the ongoing feedback everyone!

----

Refinements to items visuals.
Merciless difficulty presented differently (click a button to unlock it, or it unlocks during play given certain play milestones).
Various fixes and balance tweaks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Roolo

Quote from: zizard on July 30, 2018, 03:39:09 AM

It is possible for a lancer to catch up and fire a shot at a non bionic colonist using a sniper rifle.

Sure, can happen. But that's no a reason for me to break the balance of mortars. PM me if you want to continue the discussion. This is not the right place.

Jibbles

Quote from: zizard on July 30, 2018, 03:39:09 AM

Several solutions to that.  Mortars are not effective against ships for aggro/destroying purposes. I would normally spread out some wooden walls to run past after taking the shot. They can't aim and shoot in time if done right.