Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koek

Quote from: Tynan on July 30, 2018, 03:47:40 AM
Various fixes and balance tweaks.

I'd love to know what these changes are. If it's not too much hassle, can you add these next time?

Syrchalis

What would fix a lot of the caravan issues would be allowing them to set up a small camp like in the mod. It allows you to fix their issues directly if there are any big ones.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Greep

It takes 3 hits to aggro a ship with mortars, just tested with a ship that landed, avg 10-15 shells.  I think it got buffed substantially somewhere between b18 and 1.0, I remember it taking like 5-10 hits  to bring them to 50%.  And I used them for that purpose when they sucked.  So there's really no need to change mortars.  The early psychic ships are a pain, but usually we're talking like 3 lancers tops, 1-2 on medium.  Use friendlies, spike traps, shields, whatever if you want to cheese it.  Not saying this to argue just making sure another perspective is shown.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

mlzovozlm

Randy - Rough - Commit: No
Mountain - Temperate Forest - Permanent Summer
play time: ~ >=1d8h of .1977

colony-map incidents:
-1 toxic fallout
-1 vocalnic winter
-2-3 ships
-1 map-edge mech drop pod
-1 inside-base scyther drop pod
-dozen of sapper raids
-2 infestations
-1-2 manhuntter pack

the start of the game seems unsual slow to me compare to .1961 or prior

the variety of raids & incidents seem not really diversified, most of the raids were sappers, be it pirate or tribe, which 'were so damn annoying than anything
and even if i covered the outside of the mountains with hundreds & hudreds of traps, litter them everywhere, somehow those sapper raids always chose the place that 'd yet got traps covered, not like any of them escaped after what they did to my beautiful mountain side and wasting those walls+mountain rocks resource by producing no chuck or block after digging -_-

the map seems abundant of wood though, more than what i saw than in previous .19xx, almost as much as swamp (of previous .19xx), though, the trees that i sow myself took forever to grew, meanwhile, wild trees 've been growing generations over & over, why 'd i want to sow my all trees again if they don't even grow as fast?

drop pod 's ever happen once, the very last incident, a few cythers dropping in the indoor farm
ships only ever happened 3 times, if not 2, infestations happened twice, i'd rather 've bugs rather than sappers -_- in contrast to my run in .1961 (Tundra - Medium - Mountain - Randy - 10/60), the raids in .1961 instead were always mechs, mechs drop pods, ships, coupled with a few infestations

i got the toxic fallout at the start of the game, coupled with vocalnic winter shortly at the end of the fallout, which changed nothing since i got everything inside, and well, the fallout ended before the winter too

caravaning reward also rather lacking, i ignored a whole lot of caravan requests, outposts, rescuings and whatnot, except for the 2 relation-incapacitate calls, luckily, not from useless pawns, & some that give stuff that i can't get from making myself

overall, eventhough it's Rough Randy, it's ratively peaceful, easy, but annoying with all the sappers
i play heavy trap instead of turrets so the rebuiding traps & cutting stones, chopping woods took all the time of the colonists
i have a team of 6 constructors, 1 constant stone-cutters & they don't even have enough time to cut all the blocks needed, chopping all the wood needed, & build all the traps needed, let alone all the smoothing floor in order & the very-needed-but-always-at-the-very-end-of-constructing-order smoothing wall
so except for the last 1/2 year, in which all the constructions finally be done & they finally come to smooth the wall so i can expand the power grid, or dig the stones out so i can fashion some bedrooms, 3/4 of the team 'd been staying what now actually the hospital & suffered disturbances

https://imgur.com/a/1kSx7ua

Teleblaster18

Storyteller: Cassandra Classic
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness:  Boreal Forest (Permanent Summer) - Flat
Commitment mode: No
Current colony age: 355 days
Hours played in the last 2 days: 20+
Complete mod list: None

Debug Graphs/Notes for v.1978

-Only one gameplay note, observed since before the weekend:

Despite a concerted attempt to prevent them, the number of mental breaks in-game is extraordinarily high, averaging about 1 every 1 to 2 game days, from a wide range of colonists.  I can't pinpoint what the root cause is, but I've never had this frequency of Mental Breaks in any game prior to this.  I'll be looking for some sort of discernable pattern in the next few days of play.

Graphs:

ChJees

I noticed when I played that visitors you rescued that got 5 medicine skill or more tend their own wounds if they can in a patient bed. I mean, I got a way better doctor and ability to use medicine :s .

Maybe at least let them use medicine from your stocks since you rescued them.

Edit: Something must had broke. Rescued another one who got downed by a Iguana. When Dax were tending Turtle, he suddenly stood up and started tending himself.

Screenshot

Relevant log error and warning
Could not reserve Thing_Human115893 (layer: null) for Turtle for job TendPatient (Job_958316) A=Thing_Human115893 (now doing job TendPatient (Job_958316) A=Thing_Human115893(curToil=-1)) for maxPawns 1 and stackCount -1. Existing reserver: Dax doing job TendPatient (Job_957607) A=Thing_Human115893 B=Thing_MedicineHerbal116037 (toilIndex=5)
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Utility\Debug\Log\Log.cs:78)
Verse.AI.ReservationManager:LogCouldNotReserveError(Pawn, Job, LocalTargetInfo, Int32, Int32, ReservationLayerDef) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Reservation\ReservationManager.cs:685)
Verse.AI.ReservationManager:Reserve(Pawn, Job, LocalTargetInfo, Int32, Int32, ReservationLayerDef, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Reservation\ReservationManager.cs:359)
Verse.AI.ReservationUtility:Reserve(Pawn, LocalTargetInfo, Job, Int32, Int32, ReservationLayerDef, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Reservation\ReservationUtility.cs:40)
RimWorld.JobDriver_TendPatient:TryMakePreToilReservations(Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\RimWorld\AI\JobDrivers\Heal\JobDriver_TendPatient.cs:39)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:StartJob(Job, JobCondition, ThinkNode, Boolean, Boolean, ThinkTreeDef, Nullable`1, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Pawn_JobTracker.cs:270)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:CheckForJobOverride() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Pawn_JobTracker.cs:465)
RimWorld.<LayDown>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__1() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\RimWorld\AI\JobDrivers\SatisfyNeeds\Toils_LayDown.cs:135)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:DriverTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:345)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Pawn_JobTracker.cs:131)
Verse.Pawn:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Pawn\Pawn.cs:557)
Verse.TickList:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickList.cs:125)
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:303)
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:267)
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Game.cs:512)
Verse.Root_Play:Update() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Global\Root\Root_Play.cs:99)

TryMakePreToilReservations() returned false for a non-queued job right after StartJob(). This should have been checked before. curJob=TendPatient (Job_958316) A=Thing_Human115893
Verse.Log:Warning(String, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Utility\Debug\Log\Log.cs:59)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:StartJob(Job, JobCondition, ThinkNode, Boolean, Boolean, ThinkTreeDef, Nullable`1, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Pawn_JobTracker.cs:322)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:CheckForJobOverride() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Pawn_JobTracker.cs:465)
RimWorld.<LayDown>c__AnonStorey0:<>m__1() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\RimWorld\AI\JobDrivers\SatisfyNeeds\Toils_LayDown.cs:135)
Verse.AI.JobDriver:DriverTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\JobDrivers\JobDriver.cs:345)
Verse.AI.Pawn_JobTracker:JobTrackerTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\AI\Pawn_JobTracker.cs:131)
Verse.Pawn:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Pawn\Pawn.cs:557)
Verse.TickList:Tick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickList.cs:125)
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:303)
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:267)
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Game.cs:512)
Verse.Root_Play:Update() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Global\Root\Root_Play.cs:99)

Greep

Storyteller: Randy
Difficulty: Merciless
Biome/hilliness:  Tundra/ small hills
Commitment mode: Yes
Current colony age: 240 days
Hours played in the last 2 days: ~12
Complete mod list: None

And so tundra adventure ends!

I was kind of annoyed with the whole wealth/adaptation so I wanted to see how this played out without worrying about it quite so much and playing well.

This is the result:  2 years in: 5 dudes with pistols following a few deaths and before wealth gains.  4 years in:  unstoppable swarms of 18+ centipedes over and over, to the point where I just got bored and essentially gave up.

At the first 14 swarm of centipedes  I spent like 20 minutes carefully calling friendlies and shelling/sniping, then I got dozens of scythers and centipedes in a ship and that took forever as well.  Mixed groups of mechs were doable without traps, but swarms of centipedes meant I had to go outside and snipe them as that is not at all possible with turrets and a half dozen charge lances.  When the next one hit with over 18 centipedes I just got bored and had everyone punch them to death.  Rather amusingly, one of the friendlies in that example got into melee range during fleeing and started punching the centipedes and actually survived for like 10 seconds straight.  I probably could have managed with careful use of emps and maybe mortar spamming, but I was getting serious raid fatigue at this point.  I was just imagining fighting 20 centipides in the next 20 minutes and said "nope!"  Or I could have sent in a sacrificial lamb to halve the adaptation, and gifted all of my excessive wealth but this metagaming is getting seriously lame.

Edit: fixed cutoff fun points in chart.

[attachment deleted due to age]

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

Tynan

Quote from: Jibbles on July 29, 2018, 07:58:32 PM
Can flagstone be balanced at some point? Feel gypped for even thinking about it, but mainly use them to spice up base (for me).  Don't always want to lay down concrete now since the need for steel increased.

FYI main design purpose of flagstone is for pre-generated roads.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Just pushed a quick bonus update with the new "Stranger in Black" who gives you a hand when you're really in trouble.

XeoNovaDan

Mysterious stranger! Getting those Fallout vibes.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Tynan on July 30, 2018, 07:43:10 AM
I personally use them everywhere anybody walks outside. Never really thought they were way too expensive though it does seem odd that they cost what tiles cost yet are uglier. I guess they lay faster which is the benefit.

So if not flagstone, what is the intended outside flooring solution? And what is the intended method for preventing trees from growing under wind farms? I always use flagstone for that because solar panels don't fit perfectly nor do you really need that many solar panels per turbine. I know I could just throw wood flooring everywhere (assuming I'm not in a desert or ice sheet) but let's assume I don't want to.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

mlzovozlm

Quote from: 5thHorseman on July 30, 2018, 09:10:55 AM
Quote from: Tynan on July 30, 2018, 07:43:10 AM
I personally use them everywhere anybody walks outside. Never really thought they were way too expensive though it does seem odd that they cost what tiles cost yet are uglier. I guess they lay faster which is the benefit.

So if not flagstone, what is the intended outside flooring solution? And what is the intended method for preventing trees from growing under wind farms? I always use flagstone for that because solar panels don't fit perfectly nor do you really need that many solar panels per turbine. I know I could just throw wood flooring everywhere (assuming I'm not in a desert or ice sheet) but let's assume I don't want to.

well, put dump stockpile with chunks+blocks in it, or just put a farm zone in :p

Greep

Last post hit the screenshot size limit, so I couldn't fit in the insane outlander fleer.  It's pretty hilarious so I thought I'd share it.

Esme... Esme I think you ran the wrong way.

[attachment deleted due to age]

MineTortoise:
HELLO!

Andy_Dandy

How do you enable merciless now? I refuse to play on anything less difficult.

Tynan

Quote from: Andy_Dandy on July 30, 2018, 09:53:23 AM
How do you enable merciless now? I refuse to play on anything less difficult.

The button's at the bottom of the storyteller select screen in the middle.

I'm curious why you refuse to ever try a lower difficulty? This is something I've observed in various forms and it's worth understanding the motivation.