Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awe

Quote from: Greep on July 30, 2018, 06:34:18 AM
4 years in:  unstoppable swarms of 18+ centipedes over and over, to the point where I just got bored and essentially gave up.

Sniper turrets + killbox = easy solution to centipedes. I launched ship under pressure of 15-20 centipedes almost every day. 1 deep uranium deposit provide more than enough mats to rearm turrets.

Andy_Dandy

Quote from: Tynan on July 30, 2018, 09:56:50 AM
Quote from: Andy_Dandy on July 30, 2018, 09:53:23 AM
How do you enable merciless now? I refuse to play on anything less difficult.

The button's at the bottom of the storyteller select screen in the middle.

I'm curious why you refuse to ever try a lower difficulty? This is something I've observed in various forms and it's worth understanding the motivation.

Thanks, my good chap Tynan.

Played Rimworld since Alpha 8, and alot, so have some experience. But that said, I've always played on the most difficult and on Cassandra from the very start, just to get used to the niveau from the very beginning. I love to make mistakes and I'm then alot more motivated for the next game if there is alot to improve upon in my gameplay. I do this in most games, but especially in a survival game I want to feel the struggle. Not only hardest difficulty, but I also prefer to play on the ice sheet, with a modified crashlanded scenario (the same as the default, but changed to tribe so I start with less tech and more expensive tech - often I choose to start With electricity at least if it's a really cold ice sheet). That's when I have the most fun.

NB! Thanks for a wonderful game, easely my favorite game the last years.

Akyla

I'm curious why you refuse to ever try a lower difficulty? This is something I've observed in various forms and it's worth understanding the motivation.

For me that's because the difficulty I am used to playing at  (i.e. the difficulty last time I played) always feels like "how the game should be played".

To be honest though, once I actually started playing at a lower difficulty it was just as much fun.

Jumper

Storyteller: Randy
Difficulty: Rough
Scenario:Crashlanded
Biome:Desert (bordering tundra so got cold quick)
Commitment mode: Yes
Current colony age: 60 days
Complete mod list: None

I tend to play on randy as I like the complete randomness of the story that is created and I have found the current build as of yesterday has really hit that.

After a very slow start As I only had one trader in the first 25 days and no raids, ( I think this was a patched bug, as when the next update hit  I got a few more visiting),
As it was all so quiet Research was going well and a growing space created, being curious about how threats may have changed I thought that the ancient danger might be worth a bash as it was a pretty big building. Pop the wall and out pops a syther. We make pretty quick work of it.

Six crypto sleep caskets inside but don't open those yet as still only 3 of us.
After a few visitors and traders, two man hunter packs (4 fennec foxes and 3 golden retrievers) and a herd migration of camels it was very quiet.

So next thought was lets open the crypto sleep caskets. 6 people inside none hostile, three are downed, two others head straight out and a final one starts tending one of the downed three.
I quickly rescue two of them and after being put in the hospital beds join just, woohoo up to 5 people. Would of been nice to have the choice if they joined but hey ho. Leaving the map on of the others collapses and I rescue them, again joins but has a go juice addiction.

After getting these people back to health I have a few days of quiet and again and some more traders and a couple of mad animals.

Then things start going a bit wrong, Mental breaks all over the place and the person with the go juice addiction goes into withdrawal, cant walk very far until she collapses and needs rescuing. After being rescued she will stay in bed for a couple of hours game time and then back up and collapses again. And so the cycle continues.
While this is happening one of the colony hides in their room and another goes on a food binge.
We only have 4 weapons at this point, the starting 3 and a machine pistol. Nobody had been around to trade or had weapons. And I didn't have the resources to make them.

This is when I had my first raid at about day 60, 6 people with a mixture of weapons the best being a machine pistol.
Now only having 3 that could fight and one of them with a peg leg and a lost kidney (had a tantrum and smashed a turret that exploded.), We were not well prepared. The outcome was pretty bleak losing two of the three in a gun fight and taking down four of theirs but only after they had set fire to a few things.
So with the people in mental breaks it was pretty much doomed at that point as the fire go out of hand and burnt them alive.
This was really good fun as it was different and made for a completely different story to a rinse repeat type game.

Things I have taken from the latest run through.

1) Love that randy was so random. Great fun.
2) Recruiting pawns without the option of telling them to go away is annoying.
3) The new sprites look good but for the life of me can't work out what the components are trying to look like.
4) The mental breaks are a good game mechanic meaning you need to put some effort in to keep people happy which is all good, the issue arises when they have a break and don't snap out of it when something happens, for example in this run through someone hiding in their room when a raid happens it makes sense for them to stay hiding in the room. Another pigging out of food isn't likely to sit eating when the building around him is catching fire. That just really doesn't make and sense.
I also had a different person pigging out on food but before they actually grabbed a meal they played horse shoe and went for a walk.
Having to arrest someone to get them out of the break seems wrong. can we not have something like "slap round face" or "snap them out of it", where you don't need a prison cell and they would return to normal maybe with the "they harmed me" mood let about the person that did it or like the arrest go berserk etc.. Never thought of arresting someone for going on a food binge.

5) The whole ate without table mood let makes little sense. You have crash landed on a planet and you are worried about eating at a table ? or you are from a tribe, not really known for fine dining. And the -3 for 24 hours is a bit much. Would someone be that bothered about not using a table they would still be thinking about it the next day.
One possible solution would be to give a positive when someone uses a table. Remove the negative as you would expect to have no table but when you use one it is +3 "Ate at a table" would make having tables a bonus rather than a frustration or them eating whilst hunting etc.

Keep up the awesome work. Game is going from strength to strength.

Lowkey1987

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness:  Forest/ great hills -15°C -> 15°C
Commitment mode: No
Current colony age: 32 days
Hours played in the last 2 days: ~8
Complete mod list: None

I just started with a new game and have been away for a while, so this time i didn't Rough not merciless. Normally i enjoy merciless, because it's hard enough. But, for testing of this version rough will be enough.

-World Generation: There is a desert called "Sweaty reddish partridges"(i play with German language, hope I translate it well) which is quite hilarious 😊
-Also I forgotten to change the normal map size.
-There are giant sloths on the map, didn't thing I see them before at the start. I hunt them, and the drop heavy leather. I like this reduction of leather types.
-The change of the research tree is nice. Good, like no sterile tiles from the beginning.
-Got a revolver for the start. Didn't use it in other games, so it could be new. But I like the sound of it very much!
-Had some food poisoning, because of unclean kitchen. This works in my opinion, after cleaning and changing the tiles, food poisoning is going away/less common.
-Had 3 raids, all very easy (2 times one melee raider, 1 time one melee and 1 ranger raider). Pretty basic stuff. Had a caravan quest which asks for a "TechProf Persona [German]", it could be a techprof subpersona core. Didn't have one, would be hard to get one in a month.
-Have a refugee quest and see, that I could do it. Caravans move faster, I think. In B18 every quest was like "Can you please walk around this mountain. Now! Please.".
And now I have a cold snap, and I really love it. The first time, that the small animals all come into my base and I must hunt the rats, which eat my freshly harvested food. I am a rat hunter! 😊 (after hundreds of hours Rimworld). And after this the pigs came, to eat the corpses of the rats. I don't know why this happened, but some mechanic seems to have changed. Perhaps the rats could eat cold grass.
Did have one short circuit, but it was 2 tiles away from my powerline. Didn't expect it there and don't know what to think about it.
I noticed the log of people, which was interesting. Don't remember it that well.

That's it for the moment.

ZaPhobos

Well, for one it's "the way the game is meant to be played" and some of us just like a challenge!  Once you get over a big hump, you really feel like you accomplished something, especially when you're under the impression that it was supposed to be REALLY tough.  I've been playing on rough and tried the higher difficulties before, but now I feel like I should bump it back up again since I'm doing "too good" for my tastes, especially since the prisoner rework.  It's a lot easier to recruit guys now, it just has a guaranteed time sink that you need to wait out, and if that means I have an extra hauler and stone cutter I'll happily take it, especially since the guys I tend to capture are really good fighters too.  Just means I have a bigger food resource drain, and for that I have the paste dispenser until I find a dedicated cook.

Boartato

Highest difficulty only for me is the hallmark of being a Dwarf Fortress vet and a roguelike player. It's what I'm used to playing in games like these, and making it to extreme end game is pretty boring for me. I'm not sure why, but I don't like playing huge colonies. And it's worth noting I'm not amazing at micromanaging this game, so I'm definitely not someone winning those game conditions.

Glorious desperate deaths make for good stories.
There are many mods like it, but this mod is mine.

MoronicCinamun

Obligatory commentary on the new art:
I for the most part either like it or don't mind it. The meat's a little odd but I'm getting used to it. Biggest complaint though is some meats (I noticed it with tortoise meat) looks way too much like pemmican, hard to tell them apart side by side. Similarly, the incendairy shells look a little too much like logs to me, but I'm colorblind so that doesn't help.

I actually like most the new silver, looks like crude coins, which is what I would expect from such a currency on a such a world.

I am so bloody glad that the heavy smg actually LOOKS like a heavy smg now, but I have no clue what it is; is it based off any real gun? I get sort of a Thompson + UMP vibe from it (I would actually think it would be really cool if all the guns were made more original as such). Ditto on the "chain shotgun" (that name is still problematic as it's clearly stated to be gas-op, but I'm probably being overly pedantic there): I like the look, but is it based off anything real? just out of curiosity.

Also the minor nitpick I'm surprised is till here: reusing the pump-shotgun's sound for the chainshotgun means you still hear rapid pumping, which is hilarious but not very sensible.

Koek

Question: Is there any way to find out ingame if the deterioration % on weapons affects either aim or damage. Afaik it has no effect on either but I'd like to know for sure.

Cheers :)

bbqftw

Re: difficulty question

I would like to be able to discuss the games strategies without having to qualify them for difficulty. And I feel its very sketchy to make comments about game balance if one doesn't consistently play the hardest mode.

If some tactic consistently fails the extreme test, then teaching it is actually going to harm someone's learning. Its very easy to pick up sloppy habits that must be unlearned when you're playing with a free optimist on all your colonists.

Boartato

While we're on to feedback:

Merciless
Cassandra
Temperate Forest
Mountains + Coast
Every game lasts at least 3 hours, played a 10 hours stretch recently. Usually survive the first winter or two, so mostly early game.

Food poisoning based on filth chance right now causes a weird kind of immersion breaking (well for me at least) solution. Because cooks won't clean up filth, you *have* to have a huge kitchen to offset the dirty tiles. But because meals are made 1 by 1, walking time is a massive factor, so you shove the stove beside doors to ingredient storages. This is less of an issue at lower difficulties, but at extreme I basically have to micro manage my cook to clean or everyone gets food poisoning (at least this doesn't wipe my colony).

It looks really dumb with a kitchen stuck in the corner of a big room you try to prevent people/animals walking in. And the micromanagement to make a pawn do their job right feels wrong.

I feel like cleaning filth in the kitchen, if we keep this mechanic, should be mandatory as part of the cooking task. Cooking in unfloored rooms or at the campfire keeps the food poisoning from dirt issue, but once you've got a proper kitchen it shouldn't be an issue you have to keep microing.

There are many mods like it, but this mod is mine.

Babuchas

Hi this is my first time writing something in the forum.
Difficulty> Cassandra rougth
biome> arid shrubland
time> 75 days
mods> none
time last 2 days> 8 h

For now I love 1.0, so many new things and so many improvements. There are 2 things that I think don't work properly>
1/ Cloths> In theory pawns should choose best clothes, and use those without player intervention. They don't, at least in my game. Its 35/40 degrees Celsius outside and some of my pawns keep using their parkas, when there are some fine dusters in the storage area. Then a cold snap arrives. Those who have dusters refuse to use some nice parkas that I have in storage, and develop hypothermia. So there is something wrong in how the pawns react to the weather conditions, because they don't seem to consider this when they choose their clothes, just quality and HP, but not environment.
2> Food policies> Pawns keep using different foods to train and feed animals in a random way. Sometimes they use hay or raw food, but other times they use simple meals, or pemmican, or even chocolate, even when there are plenty of raw food they could use instead, like corn or potatoes. So they seem to choose the food totally random, or I cant see any kind of logic in it.

I hope this can be improved somehow. I love the new 1.0, keep up the good work!

erdrik

Quote from: ZaPhobos on July 30, 2018, 10:53:18 AM

Well, for one it's "the way the game is meant to be played" and some of us just like a challenge! ...
Wait, what?
Ive not heard Tynan mention highest difficulty was the intended default...
Or is that just a quote of how you perceive the game should be played?

Jumper

Also wanted to mention after my suggestion of story be changed to bio it was changed. That is so much better. Thanks Tynan

Orionreach

I see that you've returned to the original component / advanced component models! Personally I'm really happy about that.  Speaking of, after playing the game a bit with the new meat models, something just feels off about them still.  I honestly think they should return to their original design and colors.. Don't fix what isn't broken right? I guess it just comes down to personal opinion. A lot of us fell in love with the original art style of the game so changing everything drastically might be off-putting to some. I think the leathers and cloths, medicines, armor & weapon visual changes are all great however. Keep up the great work! Love this game :)

Something to add:

On my recent play through I have just about everything researched. Jungle biome, 13+ colonists. I have about 40+ elephant tusks 10+ thumbro horns sitting in storage and I haven't encountered a single exotic trader this entire play through. Bulk goods and weapon dealers only so far, with the occasional visitor with little to buy from. Not sure if this is intended, a bug, or just a bad roll of the dice.