Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fecalfrown

Current Build
Randy Merciless Permadeath
Naked Brutality (Tribal Start)

Had a weird thing happen - One colonist had the Run Wild Mental Break. I arrested him before he could get too far, and now I have a wild man I can both tame and/or recruit. Probably not intended, see screenshot below.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Walkaboutout

Current Build
Cassandra Rough
Tribal

I have to say, I am very much not a fan of the now silent infections, and breakdown indicators.

I had an infection I wasn't even aware of until I got a "medical emergency" warning. Now, this was not an issue, because the colonist was being auto tended, and was ahead of the infection, in immunity.

But I do have two colonists with destroyed kidneys. When they get sick, I have to enable using my very small stock of standard medicine, as opposed to herbals which I have in abundance at the moment, to ensure that they don't die. If this had been one of those two, I may very well have lost them.

As to the silent breakdowns...early on especially, I keep a vague track in my mind of about where I stand with components. When a breakdown message occurs, I can keep that in mind. As it stands now, I just see an undefined drop in my component stock. Now, of course, I know why at this point, and it's not like I can't just look and see what I have in the stocks. But it's annoying, and for a new player who didn't realize what was going on, or what the heck a breakdown was, this would be unreasonably confusing, I think.

Additionally, warnings about breakdowns give me a vague idea about how often they occur. I've never been sure if they ramp up based on having more equipment running in the colony (everything has a small chance to breakdown), or if it is just a defined event that occurs occasionally (just a percent chance to occur, unrelated to numbers of equipment in the colony), but having at least an anecdotal idea, based on the alerts, of how many break downs I'm experiencing, has always seemed useful to me.

Copperwire

Was messing with cover/LOS last night.

A. Open doors provide 75% cover (so does being behind a wall section).  They also slow down pawns passing through the square - at least the stone ones do - even if they are left open (i am not sure if that is intended or not).  IE, a pawn in a doorway with an open door in front of them gets 75% cover compared to a pawn in a door with a sandbag, which gets 65% cover.

B.  At some ranges AND some diagonal angles, two different squares provide cover.  It is not consistent though, so I'd suggest you play with you pawns and point guns at each other and figure it out.  Basically, it looks like a ray is traced to the target and if it goes through two squares (both squares must be directly next to the pawn) the second square has a reduced effect.  Net, the best I have managed is a 79%% cover factor.

C.  If you put a pawn with a shield in that much cover it gets silly.  I have been messing with shield/frag pawns that I force fire at max range towards the enemy approach.

Some what related, I looked at wall "wealth" values and beauty values.  Smoothed walls sit a 15-20s ea and give 1 beauty, (unless marble which is 2 beauty and 25s).  A normal marble wall, which gives 1 beauty, is under 8s.  Smoothed floors are clearly a win - no wealth.  Smoothed walls .... not so much.  Much better to buy sculpture from the towns, much less make them yourself.  Wall values are not consistent either - hp vs time to build vs wealth is wonky. 

Wooden Large Sculpture, Good - 200 beauty/245s = .81s per beauty

The values for walls are strange when you compare them;  500s is 1 "chain shotgun, normal" or 63.13 granite wall sections or 25 smoothed granite or 12.09 granite doors OR 555.555 granite block (which sells for much more then then the gun, because .... reasons ...) which will make 111.111 granite wall sections or 22.222 granite doors....

It does illustrate that once you have a decked pawn with a charge lance etc spending a bit on a few walls and doors to make them an optimal fighting position is a very cheap force multiplier.  Probably better math then marine armor, honestly.

Add:  If I get the time tonight I may make some screenshots to illustrate the "zones" etc.

dogthinker

Quote from: Awe on August 02, 2018, 09:35:19 AM
Lol. That was rude. 1.0.1982

Yeah, I just came to post the same bug. Also a pawn in a caravan.

Maybe it's just her band's name.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Nailkita

Just Launched this morning, and am no longer getting notifications when people get infections (which is extra punishing on naked start). I've also been getting yellow warning of so-and-so got disease (flu, mechanites etc.) and the jump to is not clickable and then I'll realise that "so-and-so" is not one of my colonists, nor animals, and not even someone on the map.

Lowkey1987

A little problem which i noticed is:
Now you can see "What will the other settlement buy". Which is nice.
https://i.imgur.com/47HYqbq.jpg
I can sell Simple Meals, cool. I am on my way.
https://i.imgur.com/By3muMH.jpg
But...
https://i.imgur.com/6YPrFiX.jpg
I cannot sell them. Its not listened, even not at the end of the list like "Will not Buy".
This is a problem in my opinion.

alligator76

Quote from: Toast on August 02, 2018, 12:47:41 AM
It seems that pawns, both human and animal, who are not members of your colony no longer get descriptions of their current activity (e.g. "attacking Joe Blow," "consuming all your goddamn healroot"). I don't know if this is intended or not, but I hate it. I want to know whether a running animal is trying to eat something of mine so I can shut the door, or whether a raider is about to path into a trap due to his target so I can focus fire on someone else.

Personally i disagree. This is a very good change, we are not supposed to know the ennemy's strategy...

erdrik

Quote from: alligator76 on August 02, 2018, 01:18:55 PM
Quote from: Toast on August 02, 2018, 12:47:41 AM
It seems that pawns, both human and animal, who are not members of your colony no longer get descriptions of their current activity (e.g. "attacking Joe Blow," "consuming all your goddamn healroot"). I don't know if this is intended or not, but I hate it. I want to know whether a running animal is trying to eat something of mine so I can shut the door, or whether a raider is about to path into a trap due to his target so I can focus fire on someone else.

Personally i disagree. This is a very good change, we are not supposed to know the ennemy's strategy...

I agree with alligator76. You should not be able to perfectly know what the enemy is doing.
You should have to make a tactical decision based on what you think they are doing.

Copperwire

New event idea: 

Randy drops a giant statue with extreme wealth value that you have to race over and laboriously disassemble before your next raid comes.

For extra meme credit, it could be a statue of a giant pile of guns and corpses which disassembles into, you guessed it, a giant pile of guns and corpses!

MoronicCinamun

I learned today the hard way I should be shelling out for armor: skimped on flak pants figuring vests were enough, guy lost his leg to a single shot from a charge lance (which honestly probably would have gone through the flak pants ~80% of the time anyway but yea...).

So, some things as I get antiquated with prosthesis and new stuff:
- The description for prosthetic leg has a typo: says it lacks a "neutral interface", not neural.

- I'm guessing this is an oversight on the descriptions: body purist says they don't like "artificial body parts", yet this guy who is a purist is okay with his simple prosthetic, so maybe the description should be changed to better reflect that it's high-tech/upgraded body parts they dislike (looks to me like it was changed from bionic because of the archotech).
    - I haven't seen it in awhile so I can't confirm but I'm guessing Transhumanists aren't into wooden legs and such, on the same vein; old prostophile trait said they "dream of going bionic" and I don't recall seeing that part, probably for same reason of the archotechs.

- While it's cool how the bionics and archotechs explain why the body parts can heal, simple prosthetic (and I presume even the wooden stuff) also heal; over sight or what? Doesn't make much sense to explain how bionics can heal only to have it not matter other than pure flavor; do the bionics+ heal faster or something?
    - Maybe it would be a good idea to have the simpler prosthesis not heal, but rather require you attach an entire new one? It's certainly doable now that we can build them, but it's probably the kind of change that adds nothing fun, just more work, resource costs, and frustration. Figured I'd throw it out there at least.

-I'm guessing having a bionic stomach will actually make the pawn eat faster, have yet to install one (I think I have one lying around). It's description seems to suggest it allows the human to eat things normally can't (hay grass?), does it? It would be cool if it did something like that, or maybe reduced food poisoning chance, but that might be unbalanced.
     -Have stomach's been changed to be vital organs now? I extracted a bionic from a prisoner and he died, and I also just witnessed someone die from a shredded stomach but not-completely-destroyed torso (and no other harm) from an HE mortar, so it appears so. Kind of weird, I mean you *can* live without a stomach, but I suppose balance it wise it works because we can replace it now. (p.s., do we have bionic kidneys or livers yet? :p)

-Similar question: as far as I can tell, all the aspects that involve hearing are capped at 100%, so a bionic ear's greater than 100% effectiveness doesn't seem as helpful as other bionics. Suppose it's good if both ears are damaged, it would make up for more. Maybe hearing *shouldn't* be capped for social interaction, with enhanced hearing they can make out subtle tone differences and such an augmented human couldn't XD. Maybe hearing could also factor into hunter stealth stat (I really like the stealth stat btw, adds some nice flavor and risk reduction for high skill), as they can better mask their own sounds and/or track without having to expose themselves to see or something (I do recall the bionic ear's description saying something about being able to hear a crouching cat :p).

bbqftw

@copperwire Statue should spit out firefoam too so you can't just burn it. I recently converted several of my defense setups to fully fireproofed so I can just fumigate the thing. Very handy with 70++ raiders and guns, though make sure to haul all the grenades out as they do significant damage to walls upon fire induced detonation.

I am glad with silent infection notification. Its very good punishment of people actively putting their pawns in harms way. As someone who ethically disposes of merciless max point mech raids without moving my colonists I think everyone should be incentivized to conform to my playstyle.

Koek

Quote from: Nailkita on August 02, 2018, 12:51:18 PM
Just Launched this morning, and am no longer getting notifications when people get infections (which is extra punishing on naked start). I've also been getting yellow warning of so-and-so got disease (flu, mechanites etc.) and the jump to is not clickable and then I'll realise that "so-and-so" is not one of my colonists, nor animals, and not even someone on the map.

Please add some more info. Just fill this in:

Storyteller:
Difficulty:
Biome/hilliness: 
Commitment mode:
Current colony age:
Hours played in the last 2 days:
Complete mod list:

topace3000

Hey Tynan, I noticed over the last week or so of play that when doing caravan missions such as outpost raids and stash recovery the safest course of action is typically to set up my pawns at max range and shoot out the doors before proceeding.  Doors of all types go down pretty quickly to focused shooting.  So why don't raiders ever blast down doors from afar?  It seems the only enemy type that does so are the designated sapper/grenadier raiders.  A partial fix to door cheesing strats might be to have raiders sometimes focus down doors (with concentrated fire rather than a single guy impotently punching the structure), particularly when there are no colonists in sight.

bbqftw

Quote from: MoronicCinamun on August 02, 2018, 01:55:23 PM
I learned today the hard way I should be shelling out for armor: skimped on flak pants figuring vests were enough, guy lost his leg to a single shot from a charge lance (which honestly probably would have gone through the flak pants ~80% of the time anyway but yea...).

So, some things as I get antiquated with prosthesis and new stuff:
- The description for prosthetic leg has a typo: says it lacks a "neutral interface", not neural.

- I'm guessing this is an oversight on the descriptions: body purist says they don't like "artificial body parts", yet this guy who is a purist is okay with his simple prosthetic, so maybe the description should be changed to better reflect that it's high-tech/upgraded body parts they dislike (looks to me like it was changed from bionic because of the archotech).
    - I haven't seen it in awhile so I can't confirm but I'm guessing Transhumanists aren't into wooden legs and such, on the same vein; old prostophile trait said they "dream of going bionic" and I don't recall seeing that part, probably for same reason of the archotechs.

- While it's cool how the bionics and archotechs explain why the body parts can heal, simple prosthetic (and I presume even the wooden stuff) also heal; over sight or what? Doesn't make much sense to explain how bionics can heal only to have it not matter other than pure flavor; do the bionics+ heal faster or something?
    - Maybe it would be a good idea to have the simpler prosthesis not heal, but rather require you attach an entire new one? It's certainly doable now that we can build them, but it's probably the kind of change that adds nothing fun, just more work, resource costs, and frustration. Figured I'd throw it out there at least.

-I'm guessing having a bionic stomach will actually make the pawn eat faster, have yet to install one (I think I have one lying around). It's description seems to suggest it allows the human to eat things normally can't (hay grass?), does it? It would be cool if it did something like that, or maybe reduced food poisoning chance, but that might be unbalanced.
     -Have stomach's been changed to be vital organs now? I extracted a bionic from a prisoner and he died, and I also just witnessed someone die from a shredded stomach but not-completely-destroyed torso (and no other harm) from an HE mortar, so it appears so. Kind of weird, I mean you *can* live without a stomach, but I suppose balance it wise it works because we can replace it now. (p.s., do we have bionic kidneys or livers yet? :p)

-Similar question: as far as I can tell, all the aspects that involve hearing are capped at 100%, so a bionic ear's greater than 100% effectiveness doesn't seem as helpful as other bionics. Suppose it's good if both ears are damaged, it would make up for more. Maybe hearing *shouldn't* be capped for social interaction, with enhanced hearing they can make out subtle tone differences and such an augmented human couldn't XD. Maybe hearing could also factor into hunter stealth stat (I really like the stealth stat btw, adds some nice flavor and risk reduction for high skill), as they can better mask their own sounds and/or track without having to expose themselves to see or something (I do recall the bionic ear's description saying something about being able to hear a crouching cat :p).
Clance renders normal flak pants completely useless since it has higher arpen than the 40% pants give you.

Arpen applies fully against each layer.

For some reason, there is a large misperception in the community that things like dstrand and heavy fur dusters actually matter. They don't, at least not against the one shot threats. And they provide marginal protection against everything else.

I assume they either don't care to know how the armor system math, didn't care to see how effective HP scales with armor values, don't know how arpen works, or some combination of the above.

For reference, going from 75->100 eff armor provides an 7.5x higher EHP increase than going from 0->25.

Since mitigation is all or nothing (unlike b18) low armor values don't even have the consolation of altering one shot breakpoints for destroying body parts.

Copperwire

Has anyone tried IED chains and high value objects left in the open?  Me thinks that needs tested.