Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Awe

Quote from: Koek on August 03, 2018, 07:16:13 AM
Just the mechanoids, shooting off limbs and intestines every raid.
Maybe I'll try a killbox from now on or just start gifting everything I don't immediately need to stay poor and get smaller, more manageable raids; tactics I tried to avoid till now.

Shield bait save a limbs! Also, lancer engaged in melee doesnt shoot, so corner/obstacle ambushes are so good to ignore it. Just direct shooting with lancers end with deaths sooner or later, doesnt matter how good your cover and armor - its just a matter of time when a lucky shot roll properly brain or heart hit. -_-

Koek

Quote from: Awe on August 03, 2018, 08:16:42 AM
Just the mechanoids, shooting off limbs and intestines every raid.
Maybe I'll try a killbox from now on or just start gifting everything I don't immediately need to stay poor and get smaller, more manageable raids; tactics I tried to avoid till now.

Shield bait save a limbs! Also, lancer engaged in melee doesnt shoot, so corner/obstacle ambushes are so good to ignore it. Just direct shooting with lancers end with deaths sooner or later, doesnt matter how good your cover and armor - its just a matter of time when a lucky shot roll properly brain or heart hit. -_-

Alright, thanks for the tips.

LustrousWolf

Quote from: Koek on August 03, 2018, 07:57:50 AM
@LustrousWolf

Doorpeeking is not a bother tbh and ofcourse I get pawns who got hit off the battlefield straight into my hospital. I'm just a bit salty about getting shafted by every mech raid today I guess. I just needed to let off some steam and get my frustration flowing, hoping for some feedback.
Your feedback is appreciated and you are right on most things. Ofcourse I don't ALWAYS have such bad luck, but today is just miraculously bad for some reason. I blame the new armor mechanics :)

I'm playing rough and I expect some difficulty. Maybe I should try extreme a few times, maybe it'll make me go back to rough with a few sighs of relief :))

Perhaps I should just deal with how the game works and, for example, stop treating some things as cheesing like staying poor(ish) to have a bit easier raids.

Anyways, thanks for the replies. I need to find a new kidney somewhere and get some bionic legs going.

Cheers :))

Yeah playing 1.0 I have had a few bad moments as the game has changed but I am learning and finding it fun so just keep playing and you will learn what has changed and how to deal with it all, like the new armor mechanics for example :)
Have fun :)

alxddd

Storyteller: Pheobe, Crashlanded
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Forest, Mountainous
Commitment mode: yes
Playtime in last two days: 12-16

Quote from: mlzovozlm on August 02, 2018, 03:20:21 PM
started a run in .1978, now it's 7 years in & i've got ~20 healer serums from item stashes, 4 techprofs, 1 power armor, a few masterwork weapons, but never saw a single resurrect & power claw, the only archotech parts i got were 2 legs, 1 arm

not like i need a resurrect serum though, 7 years in, current pop count 32, no colonist died the whole game
funny, i think it's probably just RNG because I've got some resurrect serums kicking around but I've never seen a healer serum or a techprof in 255 in-game days.

p.s: Randy - Rough - Mountain - Temperate Forest - Perm. Summer
the revert of trade ship makes dumping materials impossible, now my base's floating in leather, fur, wool, flak vests, flak pants, simple helmets, dusters, & all kind of apparels+weapons :| 6 full trade beacon stockpiles waiting to be freed up
now this i don't get. I didn't even have a comms console for the longest time and I still found the bulk traders frequent enough to be able to dump all my old clothes on them. i've found trading really satisfying this build. trade ship are pretty infrequent, but I think they should feel special. It's a rimworld not a central planet, you know?

deusemx

During the first mech raid of my colony the alert showed 2 Scythes coming in from one side, but I didn't realize there was a 3rd one way off to the side. Am I missing something in the alerts or does it not effectively notify when there's a split raid incoming?

erdrik

Quote from: alxddd on August 03, 2018, 09:12:14 AM
the revert of trade ship makes dumping materials impossible, now my base's floating in leather, fur, wool, flak vests, flak pants, simple helmets, dusters, & all kind of apparels+weapons :| 6 full trade beacon stockpiles waiting to be freed up
now this i don't get. I didn't even have a comms console for the longest time and I still found the bulk traders frequent enough to be able to dump all my old clothes on them. i've found trading really satisfying this build. trade ship are pretty infrequent, but I think they should feel special. It's a rimworld not a central planet, you know?
Same. Faction traders have been plenty for me to unload unwanted assets.
It makes me wonder, if incoming trade caravan events actually consider what the surrounding faction villages are capable of selling and want to buy?

I could see mlzovozlm's problem if a colony spot was picked where all the surrounding faction villages don't want any bulk products...

Aerial

Quote from: erdrik on August 03, 2018, 11:10:11 AM
Quote from: alxddd on August 03, 2018, 09:12:14 AM
Same. Faction traders have been plenty for me to unload unwanted assets.
It makes me wonder, if incoming trade caravan events actually consider what the surrounding faction villages are capable of selling and want to buy?

I could see mlzovozlm's problem if a colony spot was picked where all the surrounding faction villages don't want any bulk products...

Randy Rough - Boreal Forest

I settled in kind of an isolated area (6 days to nearest settlement) and have not seen a single trader yet.  I'm approaching the end of my first year.  I don't know if distance to settlements impacts trader frequency or if it's random, but that's another possibility.

bbqftw

Quote from: LustrousWolf on August 03, 2018, 06:45:41 AM
Sorry to say this but I feel like you may be new to the game? Try making armor and cover (sandbags, walls, doors, chunks) for your pawns it is very good at saving their lives, especially their limbs too. The only times I have lost limbs to mechs in 1.0 is when I personally made a mistake. I feel like mechs are at a good point in 1.0 unstable, maybe a little too easy still in my opinion now as melee is good viable tactic in dealing with mechs (in small numbers) emp nades are also a very big help in dealing with mechs. The biggest threat in the game for me is ants still. They always seem to be what set my colony back.
Also mechs are supposed to be devastating enemies to fight, they are robots from space!
Although I do feel like mechs should be stronger than ant armies :o

Armor > hyperweave button shirts, hyperweave or devilstrand dusters, flak pants, flak vests, war masks + marine helmets when I can afford them. Everything good or higher quality.
Cover > sandbags + granite doors/walls, small + medium gun turrets.
Cheese > doorpeeking
Emp grenades > yes
New > no

Perhaps it is me just being cursed with shitty rng and bad luck, but the last few mech raids I lost bodyparts. Now this isn't THAT big a deal since I can put some bionic parts in, but it just feels I get hit more than I should using the setup I use and when I get hit it's some bodypart gone.

Normal raids don't stand a chance atm. I'm not in a mountain so bugs are not an issue. Just the mechanoids, shooting off limbs and intestines every raid.

I lost a colonist to getting storytold straight in the heart with a greatbow yesterday and although I didn't like the loss I felt it being part of this story. The mechs are just a bit too OP I feel even though they are robots from space.

I would expect these results playing on extreme or something, not on rough with a solid defensive setup.

My main frustration is just, fun draining rappidly if this is how it's meant to be.

edit: Cheers :))

the way the armor system works - take each armor item and subtract 45 armor from it. That new value is the effective armor vs a lancer.

Regular flak pants = naked vs clance. Dstrand unless super high quality = effectively naked.

For hyperweave shirts you need high quality too. Iirc legend is 72 (last time I tested) and you shouldn't burn an inspiration on that.

Basically most armor options are practically useless against clance. Just because it sounds or looks useful does not mean it is.

lauri7x3

Storyteller: randy
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness: Boreal Forest
Commitment mode: yes
Playtime in last two days: still dont know how to know this

i found a bug with bridges.

i had a wall blueprint on a bride and raiders destroyed the bridge with fire. the wallstayed there and could actually be constructed without replacing the bridge

Kalre

Can we stop colonist in tamtrum going 90% of the time for Mortars and Mortar Shells ? Or at least dont make them blow up with punches ? 5 Times in two days its no coincidence :(

Toast

A weird thing happening with caravans: they lose their destination upon reloading a save. What I mean is that if I have a caravan on the road when I save & quit, and they have, say, a nearby town as their destination, when I reload they will just be "resting" instead of moving and it's as if they never had a destination selected. I have to reselect the town to get them to start moving again. Seems like a bug?

Another weird thing: recently had my first raid made of three distinct groups of enemies: a group of 5, and group of 6, and a group of 3. One group got wiped out by a turret while I was microing elsewhere, and I got the "enemies are fleeing" message. I thought "gee that was fast" and sent my people out to mop up stragglers only to suddenly have the rest of the pirates descend on us, very much not fleeing. Apparently not ALL the enemies were fleeing, only the ones in that one particular group. I think the message should be changed to reflect this so people who are not familiar with this event don't get blindsided like I was. (It turned out all right, but boy was that a surprise.)

Something that's been happening for many alphas--a pawn from a trader group fell asleep on the ground and the rest of the caravan left without him. He slept there until he had tons of debuffs and I was worried he'd break and mess up my base when he awoke, or get attacked by threats while asleep. Fortunately this did not happen but I think traders should automatically wake up and GTFO when their caravan leaves. (https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/973226846973128902/93418BB79485F3F9C48EA61933236971F3A1C556/)

Small typo in the screen when contacting another faction; pretty sure there should be an "and" after "warily" (https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/973226846973134279/F3AF17149C5EB9A14793688EA4DF3445E91337D9/).

mcduff

Storyteller: Pheobe
Difficulty: Medium
Commitment mode: no
Playtime in last three days: 8/9 hours?

Turret accuracy/cost tradeoff seems off, or something.

The uranium slug turret is listed as having 98% accuracy which I take to mean should be missing 1 shot every 50. I just had an ibex doe manhunter event happen and watched a sniper turret ineffectively waste nearly its entire barrel-change worth of uranium peppering the ground around all the ibexes without hitting them. If the most accurate turret in the game can't hit things it kinda confirms the instincts that maybe these things aren't actually worth the investment/power drain.

rizurper

Storyteller: Phoebe
Difficulty: Merciless
Biome/hilliness: Boreal Forest/Flat
Commitment mode: (yes)
Current colony age (days): 307
Hours played in the last 2 days: 20~h
Complete mod list: none-

I've been using this 'abuse' recently. This is because I was desperate on food, due to toxic fallout after effect or freezing winter, wildlife seems had no interest to enter the map. And I only had one greenhouse growing corn, rice, and tatoes. With 10 people, 4 dogs, 1 big cat, and 3 bears, that was tough season.

So I came up with idea, to call a trader, a bulk one, so I can buy food. Later, when they arrived, I had even better idea. We know that trader from factions that hate each other won't enter the map simultaniously anymore, to prevent that dirty loot. But it's still working if you call immediate military aid while there's trader from opposite faction. When those people landed, the immediately moving (inject drug first if they had) to their enemy caravan. And fight happened. Viola, free foods, free weapons, and goodwill from rescueing downed people. Tons, if you are lucky. (And corpses for bears).

I don't know if this is intended, but it feels dirty for me. Perhaps, make them temporary neutral to each other when they are called intentionally by comms console. Some kind of "Common Ally Truce" event pop up, happens when 2 traders and/or military aids from factions that hostile each other, enter the map at the same time.

bbqftw

Quote from: mcduff on August 03, 2018, 02:33:46 PM

The uranium slug turret is listed as having 98% accuracy which I take to mean should be missing 1 shot every 50. I just had an ibex doe manhunter event happen and watched a sniper turret ineffectively waste nearly its entire barrel-change worth of uranium peppering the ground around all the ibexes without hitting them. If the most accurate turret in the game can't hit things it kinda confirms the instincts that maybe these things aren't actually worth the investment/power drain.
miss chance is calculated per tile of the shot.

EvadableMoxie

Quote from: mcduff on August 03, 2018, 02:33:46 PM

98% is just the base accuracy.  It probably loses accuracy over range like everything else, and then there is cover and weather. Most things aren't accurate at long range in this game, even master snipers with full biotics rarely get above 70% at actual sniper range.

I don't think sniper turrets are very good.  The accuracy issue is only part of it.  Sniper range is the safest range to be at, so it's a range I can put pawns at and have them be pretty safe, so why do I need a turret that costs me uranium with every shot?  Because it's most effective at range, placement is tricky and even if you get a good placement you pretty much need to have other turrets or pawns in front of it, which will get friendly fired.   Short range turrets make a lot more sense because you can use them to tank while your pawns stay behind them.  You can rebuild a turret a lot more easily than a pawn, so that makes sense.  But sniper turrets are totally backwards, why would I risk pawns for a building?