Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicken Breast

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Savage
Biome/hilliness: Tropical Rainforest/Mountainous with a Stone Road as a feature, and a Year-Round Growing Period (Permanent Summer)
Commitment mode: Yes
Current colony age (days):
Hours played in the last 2 days:
Complete mod list: Kept it Core/Vanilla for the sake of playtesting

I'm writing this from the beginning, to help catalog issues or events of interest as they happen. As Tynan says, he wants to hear the stories. Well, let me tell you that I'm feeling this one. I'm starting with 5 tribespeople, and I'm looking to play with a survival goal/challenge. How long can they survive? How big can they grow? Could they conquer other factions? So far they're having trouble just researching!

That said, my starting position could be a lot worse. The road bends around a mountain and tucked away in a bottleneck is my little base, built to hold a bunch of sleeping spots. I walled off two different points of entry to my base and got to growing. In no time I had potato and rice stores. Over the first 17 days I had 3 raids of one person each. Must have been each tribe/colony sending scouts.

On day 20 or so, I had a refugee event asking me to take on a Core world Jeweler. I accepted without a thought, already up one person from a previous raid with a rival tribal faction. I had 3 colonists vs 3 outlanders, and I won quite easily, even with basic tribal stuff (and a shotty I'd picked up). I've captured another person from this, and am now breaking down his resistance. I've had many breakdowns from all the stress recently, however.

The people have grown tired of sleeping on the ground in a common room. They are unsatisfied with how long it is taking for me to mine out individual rooms. I can't blame them, as I should have dealt with it far sooner, but like I said: research has been an issue.

This post will be continued in a new post on this thread or edited in later when I return. Currently, it is 2 am and I have work at 6 lol

I've already sunk 4 hours or so into this tribe alone. This game is too good.

Sig by Me!

Serenity

Quote from: zizard on August 05, 2018, 12:22:47 AM
Toxic fallout on colder biomes prevents almost all wood harvesting for the next 3 years. The chance to kill trees should be reduced.
I had one in boreal forest and there were plenty of trees left

XeoNovaDan

Quote from: Serenity & zizard on August 05, 2018, 07:31:27 AM

I think that this is most noticeable in tundras because tundras spend around 75% of their time sub-zero, and their native plants (e.g. pine trees, astragalus) have the same hardcoded temperature range as saguaro cacti, meaning that they can't grow below 0 degrees and slow down below 10 degrees. Since tundras usually spend around 75% of their time sub-zero, it takes an extremely long time for trees to even get a high enough growth percentage to even be harvestable - assuming that alphabeavers and such haven't already eaten them by then.

As a result, tundras may have a bit of plant life when you first settle on one, but it doesn't take long for them to become as totally barren and desolate as ice sheets. The best fix for this would be to do something like open the temperature ranges to XML, and have cold biome-native plants be able to grow in lower temperatures.

orty

Graphic suggestion:

EMP grenade icon and Frag grenade icon should be differently shaped, even slightly.

When colonists aren't drafted, their equipped weapon icons are grayscale and it is impossible to distinguish which of these two items is equipped without referring to the colonist window for description.

NagashUD

Malaria also disappear from the health panel after medicine treatment.

mlzovozlm

being able to set which pawn to do training or taming would be a great, in B18, i used Fluffy's Work Tab for it, but currently i use no Mod so it's quite annoying when the 'in-training' handlers keep "stealing" training work from the "veterans" & then fail while i only need them to go honing their skill on those wild animals across the map :| (a big number of handlers both highly-skilled & not) + (a gib number animals) = some of the animals eventually 'defect'

mcduff

Trying to work out if this is a bug or not. I have a colonist with a carcinoma and have set an operation to excise it. It says the ingredients are 6 medicine and I have 25 in stock, yet when I try to get a doctor to prioritise it, it says "need ingredients." Is there something I am missing?

EvadableMoxie

Quote from: mcduff on August 05, 2018, 01:02:12 PM
Trying to work out if this is a bug or not. I have a colonist with a carcinoma and have set an operation to excise it. It says the ingredients are 6 medicine and I have 25 in stock, yet when I try to get a doctor to prioritise it, it says "need ingredients." Is there something I am missing?

Make sure the patient is set to be allowed normal medicine.

Koek

Do you have more than 1 active medic? Make sure the other medic is not on his way to perform the surgery because that blocks you from assigning another medic manually.
Just draft the medic you don't want to do the work and then manually assign the one you want.

edit: maybe it has something to do with another colonist, in this case another medic, to be assigned to haul from your 1 stack of medicine, therefore your medic cannot find the resources. ??

Toast

Small weirdness in an art description:

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/973227205249692534/1D93BA3D932284AD45D84929287094FDF38FA793/

The only things Lexi has ever crafted are sculptures, which I guess is what the "minified thing" is??

Starbug3D

I think I had a memory leak last night and my first ever crash.  I attempted to open the world map and got "Geyser spray sustainer still playing after 1000 ticks. Force-ending." and "Could not regenerate WorldLayer: System.OutOfMemoryException: Out of memory".  crash.dmp is empty.

[attachment deleted due to age]

mcduff

Quote from: EvadableMoxie on August 05, 2018, 01:08:10 PM
That was it. Can't work out why that guy was set to herbal medicine, though, especially because he had just got a bionic eye fitted too...

mlzovozlm

Quote from: mcduff on August 05, 2018, 03:02:05 PM
Quote from: EvadableMoxie on August 05, 2018, 01:08:10 PM
That was it. Can't work out why that guy was set to herbal medicine, though, especially because he had just got a bionic eye fitted too...

was he ever gotten arrested once? the medicine 'policy' immediately set to herbal, but not reset back upon release

Awe

Damn allied help. Almost killed my 2 pawn by crushing roof on their head. Is it possible to land such reinforcments a bit more accurately?

protobeard

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Merciless
Scenario: Naked Brutality
Biome/hilliness: Temperate forrest (30 days growing) with a small river and large hills
Commitment mode: No, though I play in that style
Current colony age (days): 77
Hours played in the last 2 days: ~8
Complete mod list: None

My plan for this time was to only accept good pawns. It didn't really work -- too many events now where you simply can't see what a colonist will be before recruiting, and RNG decided that no one even remotely good would raid me and not get killed. I took an incapable of research pawn (named Lightning) as my starting person, which as I approached day 50 with still only a single colonist became more and more clearly a huge mistake.

Thoughts from playthrough

• I'm seeing some issues with pawns picking up whole stacks of items -- I'll tell them to haul a pile of berries, and instead of grabbing the first stack and then other stacks near it, they pick up only part of the first stack, and nothing else. So I tell them to grab a pile of 21 berries, with 3 piles of 8, 4, and 7 nearby. And instead of hailing 40 berries, the pawn grabs 6 from the first pile.

• Not trivial to reproduce, but I'm seeing it pretty frequently.
  • Edit: yeah, this is happening almost every time I give a haul order manually.
  • Edit: I think this has something to do with the hoppers -- pawn is trying to fill them so only grabs enough berries to top off a stack. Then when I reissue the order, for some reason he hauls a full stack to the non-hopper stockpile.

• Quick sleeper is an amazing trait, especially on Naked Brutality.

•    
  • While I remained at one colonist until day 51, I did get a number of prisoner rescue type quests. But there's just no way I'm caravanning with one person and no long term food source on Merciless. All my prior experience with caravanning tells me every event is a trap. But it's clear that my "forever alone" run is mostly my own fault.

•    
  • On day 29 I noticed that my pawn has never failed to construct a wall this run: looks like his sucess chance is 100% b/c he isn't injured. Interesting change -- I like never failing on consturcing walls/floors, but it feels like I should sometimes fail when building other (harder) stuff, even though the penalty there is higher. Failing constructing a wall happened so often it just felt anoying, but was such a minor cost it didn't add any "please don't fail constructing" moments (like I feel when my pawn is using the last component on some critical new building I need).

•    
  • Blight seems worse now. B18 blight felt too easy. This doesn't feel too hard, but it's creates a sad kind of micro where I just have to pause and click *soooo* many times to tell my pawns to cut the blighted plants. I wish there was a "cut blighted" tool I could just drag over a field.

•    
  • The new dessicated animal corpses look great.

•    
  • Has opportunistic hauling been disabled? I'm basically never seeing my pawns use it. Even when they are heading back to do stuff right next to my stockpile (like, within 5 squares of it).

•    
  • Animals hunting your colonists for food avoid traps. I just watched a cougar zig-zag through my trap field to attack my dog
Story: Alone Forever
day 2: Visitor gives me a gift of 147 silver
day 8: Visitor gives me a gift of 11 medicine, faction approval: 0
day 13: Lightning observes a corpse after a raid with a psychic drone and goes on a minor break: tantrum, and destoys all 31 components we had gotten from ship parts.

• Feels weird that I am more worried about minor mental breaks than major ones. I'd much rather see a berserk than a tantrum.
  • since i still only have one colonist, there was nothing I could do except watch.
  • On the bright side, that drops my wealth by about 1000, so maybe my colonist was really just trying to make the colony safer

day 16: Second wild man wanders in. I'm still at one colonist.
day 17: A lynx hunts my colonist for food, scratches him twice. I self tend and set to bedrest. Pawn literally stays in bed, starving himself, until he is fully healed. I didn't force him to "rest until healed," but that was the behavior I saw (I triple checked b/c I couldn't believe he would get out of bed to feed himself once he was fully rested).

Of note: I'm running a wood generator and paste dispensor, both of which I rarely do. Is there no way to force a pawn to eat from the paste dispensor? Is that why my pawn refused to feed himself while sick? (it also made the loss of 31 components so much more painful. The pawn could not have choosen any other item in the colony more damaging to his own survival to destroy. Perhaps pawns should not destroy entire stacks of extremely valuable items? Just partial stacks?)

day 20: Wild man number 3. Too bad my animal handing is only at 4, making all these wild man events worthless. Well, that's harsh. It's fun to watch them walk around/hunt and gather. And it's funny to think about how many wild man there must be on this rimworld to see three in 20 days. It's quite the little pack of wild men circling my berry patch.

day 24: Visitors give me 3 glitterworld meds

day 25: When my berry patch is harvested, the wild men are reduced to eating carrion: the corpses from my raids (I threw them into an open building to rot rather than burying them)

day 29: It's the middle of fall and I celebrate by gathering up the corpses of my 3 wild man companions and hauling them to the corpse pile. Hypothermia took them all.

day 30: Shaman trader gives me a gift of an excellent wolfskin t-shirt. This is getting a bit ridiculous -- so far every non hostile has felt so sorry for me that they left me a present. But I guess I am living down in a cave by the river.

day 40: The local tribal SLAVER felt so bad for me they left me a good silver knife. I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, having everyone, including the slaver, give me gifts seems crazy. On the other hand, it's day 40 and I am still alone. Plus, *silver* knife.

day 46: raider lights himself on fire outside my base. Alone forever.

day 49: another trader gives me 2 glitterworld meds

day 51: I take a refugee event b/c apparently I'm never going to down a raider. AJ joins, and she's okay (not good, but okay). But of course she can't researc either :(

day 58: Bud, a wanderer with psychite and wake-up additictions joins. But she has level 1 research! I guess I'll keep her around until she goes crazy and kills herself mid-raid. We'll see I can at least get recurve bows before she suicides. She came in with some wake up and flake, so we'll see.

day 59: Bud ODs on flake.

day 64:

• Bud has spent most of her time since she joined in a psychotic state, and now goes catatonic. She did manager about 100 points of research in there though. So maybe in another year we'll have recurve bows.
  • Lightning gets malaria.
  • Thanks to the good meds visitors gifted us, AJ is able to help both malaria ridden Lightning and catatonic Bud through their issues.
day 67: I get my first multi raider raid. 3 guys with knifes, and one with a machine pistol. Bud is still catatonic, so it's up to AJ and still malarial Lightning to fend them off.

day 71: Bud is still catatonic. It's a bit hard to tell though -- that state isn't listed in her health tab, or on her info screen, and her name isn't colored. So sometimes I forget and think she's just sleeping and will wake up. While she's out cold I burn the last of the drugs she came in with. Don't do drugs kids.

day 74: Actually, I don't think Bud's catatonic anymore. I *think* what's happening is that while she was catatonic her wake up and psychite withdrawals proceeded far enough that she can no longer move: she's got a combo penalty of -40% movement and -70% consiousness. Well, I guess that's fine. I guess she probably wont suicide.

day 76: Second multi person raid. Pistol, shotgun, grenades. Grenades carried by a frail, altimers guy who goes into a confused state immediately. But they wander, so he recoveres in time to attack. Traps fend them off. Looks like even though traps are single use, they still can be set to auto-rearm? What would that even do now? About half the time it looks like auto-rearm is true by default (maybe when the traps are in home zone?) and half the time is is false by default. I set them all to true and we'll see what happens.

A mad muffalo comes and pounds on my door. What's this about manhunter animals not attacking doors?

day 79: I get my first downed raider who isn't completely terrible. I'm gonna call this the end of "forever alone"

That's all for now. I'm not sure if I'm going to continue this colony, but I felt like I had enough feedback from this admittedly weird run to share.