Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polder

Quote from: Awe on August 08, 2018, 02:56:28 AM
Quote from: Polder on August 08, 2018, 02:53:39 AM
I think meat should come mainly from animal breeding, milk producing animals, hunting or trading.

Did you try to feed 20+ mans colony via animal breeding or milking?

Apologies for the theorizing.

The way I envision these changes as follows:

Manhunter packs no longer yield cookable meat.

Animal breeding and milking is buffed a little, but not so much that it becomes as good as cultivating crops in terms of nutrition per work. Animal protein should represent a food resource that is somewhat more valuable and difficult to acquire.

Players are allowed to change the eating behaviour of colonists. What meals they are allowed to consume, whether they take meals into their inventory, and whether they are allowed to eat human meat. This works similar to the medical care settings.

With these changes a colony can produce a variety of meals and control the consumption. In your 20+ people colony, some pawns will get cheap meals while others will get expensive ones. To get anything better than simple meals and nutrient paste you'll have to hunt, breed, milk or trade (and breeding/milking is more viable).

This also solves the problem of trying to produce survival rations for later use in caravans in a colony that depends on nutrient paste (where every pawn, including the cook will immediately take a survival ration for later eating).

bbqftw

Quote from: Polder on August 08, 2018, 02:39:05 AM
A pack of manhunting animals gives a lot of meat. Maybe the animals should be poisoned so that the meat is inedible.
I agree, however, their corpses should count as full market value.

On that lines, maybe reduce the sell value of insect jelly a la guns (x20%) but keep the market value. You can poison it too so it can't be used for cooking either.

I suggest introducing a mood hit for seeing mechanoid corpses as well. Since your main reward for defeating lategame humanoid raids is a corpse and weapon disposal party, why shouldn't mechs be the same?

Then we can all be happy that defeating big threats only brings wealth spike and no actual utility. Sounds great to me.

Greep

I like how you had to edit in the essentially /sarcasm ;)

In any case, if poisoned manhunters happened, you'd be the most hated person on the forums Polder, so I let's hope it doesn't.

Edit: ah missed your next post.  Even still by posioned I assume you mean insta-rot like toxic fallout since that would save dev time.  That makes getting leather too harsh.  I'm hording heavy fur just to hope my clothes don't fall off and you never know when the next megasloth brigade comes to town.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

jessepinkman

Hello Tynan! I just want to thank you for your amazing game and all the work you did. Rimworld is the best game I've ever played and the way you did it by listening to the community of players is really amazing. Thank you again for your work. :)

Chicken Breast

Here is a pic of the current situation

https://imgur.com/a/2LwiJuM

You'll see a small bloodbath, along with a downed colonist and another next to him who lay dead. While Elida fought bravely, she had been fighting 3 men at once. Ichabod alone had been able to pick up an autopistol at the end of the initial battle in order to chase down the pirates, who were now attempting to kidnap Joseph, Stalzer, and Xandy. Unfortunately, Stalzer had not been saved in time, and The Crooks (actual name of the pirate band) gained another slave. Press F now to pay your respects for Stalzer and Elida.

It was so bad, that after Ichabod rescued Joseph and Xandy, Xandy proceeded to scavenge some smokeleaf joints from the raiders, wasting no time in lighting it up. That's when he was downed for the second time, too stoned to even stand. The common grieving of a Rimworlder is even greater when he loses two friends. To be fair, though, it was a battle of 3 versus 5, in all reality, and it is day 40. I don't have many good fighters (especially not now lol) and Xandy is my only shooter. I didn't play it strategically, though, having been caught in the middle of construction.

Just goes to show that sometimes maybe you should ignore refugees -shrug-

I was always told, though, "No good deed goes unpunished."

Happy Rimworldin', folks!
Here's to 5 more years!

Sig by Me!

Teleblaster18

Storyteller: Cassandra Classic
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness:  Temperate Forest (Permanent Summer) - Flat
Commitment mode: No
Current colony age: 508 days
Hours played in the last 2 days: 8-10
Complete mod list: None
v.1987

Game Notes:

-Installed my first Bionic Heart, because one has been laying around for a while, doing nothing.  I like the outcome, which is increased movement speed, along with increased blood pumping.

-Surrounded my base perimeter entirely with 2 rows of staggered wooden traps, the first of which is right along the perimeter wall;  they handle Mechs nicely (Lancers and Scythers, specifically), but something that size is a project to maintain.  Flammability is still a serious issue, of course...and one that I still don't have a sufficient amount of non-flammable resources to counter at the moment.  Moving from wood to any other material is not possible, due to the full resource loss of that material.  Even getting a percentage of the material back (25%) would make using other materials more enticing.  Flashstorms and any incendiary weapons are still a major concern.

Relocating traps is nice, but in practice, it takes a very long time of pointing-scrolling-clicking if you're using large numbers of them.

-A Trader friendly faction did some dirty work for my colony, and largely fended off a Pirate raid while they were hanging outside my base, post-trade.  It was fun to watch. 

I re-learned a lesson, though - don't save *any* friendly faction animal, unless you've made sure the animal can walk.  I saved a friendly faction bull that had gotten brain damage in the fight, and didn't realize it at the time.  After I brought it to my barn and saved it, it just...sat there.  In my barn.  Forever.  While my colonists wasted time keeping it fed.   I had two viable options: try to feed it Wake Up to get it mobile again (which pisses off the friendly faction), or to euthanize it completely (which pisses off the friendly faction even more).

-I'm trying to figure out whether I want to keep my guys armored 100% of the time or not, because of the time it takes to change out of normal clothes (for me, standard non-combat wear is always Devilstrand pants, long sleeve shirts, Duster and Hats (both made from the strongest leather/fur I have available).  I'm reaching a point where I think it's better to just keep them in combat gear all the time, since I've been caught too many times by a raid where my guys weren't armored, and it took too long to get them outfitted.

This of course means that tailoring drops far down on my priority list, as will Devilstrand production: as long as I have cold weather outfits, I don't forsee needing to tailor much in the future.  I'm sorry to see a whole dimension of the game get relegated to an afterthought, but the necessity of keeping everyone as protected as I can is kind of forcing my hand on the issue.

Were apparel changes sped back up again to B18 levels, tailoring and normal clothes would become more viable again, I think.  I'm not sure I entirely understood why the increase in apparel change was introduced...in B18, even in a dedicated armory which facilitated the clothing to armor change times (I've built dedicated armories in just about every game I've played), it took a while for colonists to get to the armory, and then to get to where the fighting is.  If any pawns are less than 100% health, this takes even longer.  Perhaps the context of the increase in apparel change speed could be re-examined to see if it's performing its intended function?

Tonight's Graphs:

Nynzal

Randy Merciless on Sea Ice
Mods: Numbers, Private Hair Style Collection

Chickens of a trade caravan just stole my meals that are located behind doors and in my stockpile.
Also forbidding the door obviously does not work. Do I have to place a wall in front of my doors now, everytime I get a trader?
Sounds like a minor issue, but on Sea Ice that can easily mean death if trader animals now steal food.
Winter is coming

Greep

I cheated and played a cannibal so it wasn't a huge issue for me xD  That said there's nothing to do in the beginning but research and haul slag, so putting a wall in front of the door for a day or so sounds like it'd work.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Awe

Quote from: Polder on August 08, 2018, 03:34:51 AM
Apologies for the theorizing.

The way I envision these changes as follows:

Manhunter packs no longer yield cookable meat.

Animal breeding and milking is buffed a little, but not so much that it becomes as good as cultivating crops in terms of nutrition per work. Animal protein should represent a food resource that is somewhat more valuable and difficult to acquire.

Just try to build animal farm one time. Im ok with overall concept, but currently game dont have good enough tools to make animal farm worthwhile. Im tried to do chicken farm 2 runs ago and its just a annoyance - too much player micromanagement to control over population and too much pawns work time required to feed animals and gather their products. Imho, in current state only few pack animals(like 2-3 muffalos) worth their keeping. Even a hauling doggos is a whim - its just better to recruit more pawns to do exclusively hauling job.

anitram

Quote from: Awe on August 08, 2018, 08:10:57 AM
Even a hauling doggos is a whim - its just better to recruit more pawns to do exclusively hauling job.

I keep doggos as tanks for hunting, and have pawns for hauling, dogs breed like rabbits while pawns are not so easy to come up with.
Plus, in the event of a toxic fallout, doggos can save you (I slaughtered all of my doggos because pawns were starving only to get the event ending seconds after that.  >:( >:( >:( )

I also agree, manhunter event is fine as it is. Debatable part where emus destroy 6 turrets, but still OK (f.e. yesterday I had 12 does/rams, and no turrets got destroyed).

thuban

Hi,
Sorry, not a full report.
I started a new game with 5 tribal people. I was surprised to see a message from a friendly IA telling me where to find an escape ship. It seems weird according to the scenario printed at the beginning of the game with this faction. It seems more consistent to find another goal for there pawns.

Anyway, it's still amazing to play :)

Koek

Blato

Quote from: Koek on August 08, 2018, 09:33:23 AM
Quote from: anitram on August 08, 2018, 09:12:19 AM
emus destroy 6 turrets

Well, they are emus, what did you expect?
Makes me remember how Australia gets jabbed for losing a war to emus... playing RimWorld taught me why.

Maybe I should replace my war party of boars with emus

Koek

Quote from: Blato on August 08, 2018, 09:38:28 AM
Maybe I should replace my war party of boars with emus

Enjoy the risk of taming emus :))

Polder

Quote from: Awe on August 08, 2018, 08:10:57 AM
Just try to build animal farm one time. Im ok with overall concept, but currently game dont have good enough tools to make animal farm worthwhile. Im tried to do chicken farm 2 runs ago and its just a annoyance - too much player micromanagement to control over population and too much pawns work time required to feed animals and gather their products. Imho, in current state only few pack animals(like 2-3 muffalos) worth their keeping. Even a hauling doggos is a whim - its just better to recruit more pawns to do exclusively hauling job.

I agree. I'm trying to make it more worthwhile to keep animals for things other than defense or hauling.