Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nynzal

If it stays that way and all the ruins count from  the start, sea ice would have an arguable advantage with lower starting wealth, since there are no ruins on sea ice.
Winter is coming

xion1088

I read in a different topic in the bugs section that it's counting ruins floors, not sure about walls.

I did some testing, started a Naked Brutality start, before my pawn even landed wealth was already at 26K, with god mode on I destroyed a wall in the Ancient Danger and deleted all the items there, 1 Masterpiece Charge Lance, 2 Glitterworld Medicine, 20 Luciferium, 1 Insanity Lance, wealth didn't drop in fact it went up a little bit, don't really know what's causing this and honestly it's preventing me from playing right now because I feel like I will get bigger/harder raids sooner than before and obviously I won't be well prepared for it.

I know this should go to the Bugs section but somebody already reported it and I wanted to post it here to get more visibility, I know I'm going out of the main topic of this post and probably breaking a rule and I'm sorry for doing it.

One more edit, sorry. Disabled all my mods and started the same seed and this time wealth was at 3K and it was only counting buildings, not items so one of my mods might be messing with wealth, gotta find out which one and report it.

erdrik

I was unaware that wild animals would consider drugs as a potential meal source.
This rabbit downed some multi day old deteriorating booze, and got knocked out for her trouble.
;D

EDIT:
If you hunt and kill a drunk rabbit will you get beer infused meat, to make beer infused meals out of? ;D

[attachment deleted due to age]

5thHorseman

Quote from: xion1088 on August 12, 2018, 05:06:15 PM
I did some testing, started a Naked Brutality start, before my pawn even landed wealth was already at 26K, with god mode on I destroyed a wall in the Ancient Danger and deleted all the items there, 1 Masterpiece Charge Lance, 2 Glitterworld Medicine, 20 Luciferium, 1 Insanity Lance, wealth didn't drop in fact it went up a little bit, don't really know what's causing this and honestly it's preventing me from playing right now because I feel like I will get bigger/harder raids sooner than before and obviously I won't be well prepared for it.

This makes sense, as wealth only counts what you can see. Your initial wealth did not count that stuff in the ancient danger. Afterward, your wealth counted that floor.

But you could play anyway, and see if maybe the game is balanced around this new wealth mechanic.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

xion1088

Oh wait, what I meant was that the initial wealth of 26K didn't drop after I opened the Ancient Danger and deleted the items, actually the building wealth went up a bit after the when the night came, item wealth was the same before and after opening the Ancient Danger, I'm actually doing some more testing with my mods trying to find out what mod is causing this.

zizard

The extra starting wealth is equivalent to -6 or -12 penalty to mood, which received no adjustments. This is pretty severe. It's terrible for immersion that a priority early game task is to run around the entire map removing floors.

Regarding the AD wealth, fogged floors don't count, so when you reveal the AD contents you get an increase from those floors.

xion1088

Ok I found what was causing the high Total Wealth problem as soon as the game started, it was a mod called "The Rock Trade" that was making the Item Wealth to be 22191 so be careful with this mod, I already reported it to its author but the Building Wealth problem still there, as you can see on those images the Building Wealth started at 3913, I guess opening the Ancient Danger and then, with God Mode, building the wall back made Building Wealth rise to 4744.

Squiggle

Storyteller: Phoebe
Difficulty: Medium
Biome/hilliness: Temperate forest, flat, river (year round growing)
Commitment mode: No
Colony age: 150 days
Hours played in the last 2 days: 10+? (oh gawd)
No mods.
Me: newbie.

Part I: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41766.msg425195#msg425195

Day 150. The story continues....

Chatty Patty and Miney got married. Warlock, the red fox, was the best man. My caravan for a trade event wasn't quite back but arrived mid ceremony. Every gets high to celebrate. Love these sorts of events, I like the reprieve from the struggle (although a disaster in the middle of the marriage could be a very rare exciting event) would like to see more details and social interactions besides marriages and parties. Game nights? Anything where some pawn personality can shine. Even better some "positive breaks" where the pawns blow off some steam without causing too much trouble. For example, dancing and singing, stripping and going for a midnight swim or polar bear dip. :D

My single colonist with a shooting skill above 9, is 80 years old with a bad back... and he got drunk and went out hunting a herd of muffalo, who promptly trampled him. My bad for selecting the muffalo to hunt, but I was starting to get worried about the size of the herd and saw 3 off by themselves... but by the time Gramps got there they had joined with the other 6. I got lucky with traps again and managed to rescue Grampa "Gunz" and he only lost a finger, lucky son of a... gun.

Some time later mechanoids (no centipedes) drop pod outside and attack while trade caravan is arriving. The two groups meet outside my base and the robots are so fast my colonists are still getting dressed when they tear into the caravan. The 90 year old trade leader who is the slowest of all and left far in the back is the first to be cut to pieces. Miraculously he doesn't die from the wounds and after the caravan mainly takes care of the machines I rescue him and one more person who turns out has a shattered spine and starts to eat all my fine meals. I feel bad since they took the brunt of the attack, but I can't get rid of him. No one needs a transplant, and my colonists seem to enjoy spending time watching TV with Cougar.

Another lull and then we have our first pirate raid, around 12 attackers and the raid note says they have "tactics"? Things go pretty well, even though the pirates avoid my bridge of doom and have 2 sniper rifles. No serious injuries but the problems with my defences become very clear. Need to build some other bridges that I can sally out of with melee types against the snipers and other long range attackers.

As I re-architect our defenses, I carry out some more trade missions that require reams of tailoring (no one is good at crafting), but my herd of alpacas and muffalos help, although I have to caravan out for supplemental cotton twice. The farm is looking pretty decent, as I've picked up breeding pairs on all the trade missions and we now have 3 boomalos, 2 pigs, 2 cows, 2 chickens and around 6 each of muffalo and alpacas. We also have Meg, a self-tamed Megasloth who does a great continental drift impression and dumps 300 fur once a year. Breeding is just starting to kick into high gear when I realize I've misprioritized cash drug crops, hay and a huge crop of devilstrand instead of food. I had been sitting on 150 simple meals for so long that no one would buy but I started using them for short run caravans and now we're out and there isn't a crop to harvest for awhile. Some frantic berry gathering and hunting and we survive and start getting food stockpiled back up to around 30... for 12 colonists plus Cougar the Mooch, that isn't much at all.

And that's when the toxic fallout hits.

I saw mention of this when I was reading some of the wiki info and thought, "Boy, that sounds horrible, I really hope that never happens to me, but looks like its extremely rare. I couldn't handle seeing everyone just starve or get sick and die." So I go back and re-read it... we need to be under roofs or permanent effects. OK.

A bulk trader enters just before the fallout hits. So while I'm frantically roofing everything I sell him all the baby animals and all the oldest animals for all his fruit and meat (obviously Meg stays, despite being mostly useless, she is practically our mascot given the nature of our team). Give him all my extra clothes too. It's a terrible trade (for him) and he just sits there in the fallout while his animals and people get sick. I take pity, and need a safe way to haul all my goods back into base so I construct a temporary roof over his head. He leaves happy, hopefully without longterm effects. (Does fallout affect caravans?) Would be nicer if I could just invite him inside to a designated zone. I try to hunt all the wild animals but they seem to rot immediately on death. :(

Fortunately my crops are easy to roof over, and I throw up a bunch of sunlamps and then gasp at the power usage. I turn off everything else, no more lights in bedrooms, no benches on, minimal temperature control, turn on the backup generator and we're still at a massive deficit. I have a large stockpile of steel and 50 or so components to burn through and I can make more components at the Fab bench at night so we starting building more power infrastructure but of course one of the noob constructors botches the job, and then my master builder decides the resources laying right there are not good enough to use. Then the mental breaks start- people are still in a decent mood, so I'm not sure what's triggering them. A food binge (oh great) and a psychite binge (which fortunately I had already sold off most of my stock). It becomes painfully obvious that I do not have enough food for my animals (especially as I'm waiting for the last devilstrand crop to harvest - I've waited so long, must... finish...), but I don't want to go full Noah's Ark if this is going to only last a few days. I start (a micro-intensive) releasing of the hungry animals in the morning and before bed and some special zoning for the chickens. I also have to micro switching things on and off during the day and night. It is going to be a slog if this lasts a year.

I get lucky and get a visitor who takes Cougar the Mooch off my hands and I release the prisoner that I was mainly using for social practice. Not sure I'll be able to keep the animals (sigh). The wild animals are starting to die and I discover that boom-imals are starting wildfires all over. I rush out to stomp the closest, risking the fallout but the pressure on the grazing areas just got a lot worse. Is the remaining grass going to die?

Then 3 colonists get malaria, including 2 of my best doctors. I have a third though, thankfully. We're a formerly happy team of healers, herders and pacifists. We only eat simple meals and pemmican now and people are annoyed.

Then the infestation hits. Sweet jezus. Thankfully it's just outside my base and not in the prisoners quarters. A valiant, mostly confused effort around multiple nearby doors leaves 5 people lightly injured and one bleeding heavily. Some fingers and toes go missing and we lost a turret, but I couldn't be happier. The insect meat might make enough kibble for the animals to survive?

Gunna be away on vacation, but I'm really enjoying the experience so far and looking forward to playing (too much). Even the thing I really thought would be awful and no fun (fallout) and the string of bad breaks (even just on Phoebe and medium) has been the right sort of difficulty for my current abilities and playstyle.

Gripes and suggestions summary:
- What are mechanoids and why do they want to kill me?
- Would be nice if self-tamed animals had less wildness.
- Explanations for why mental breaks happen? Just random chance? If not I'd like to be able to reduce the chance somehow?
- Visitors pay for herbal meds but no one else does?
- Recreation area for therapy where people with high social skills can help reduce breaks/penalties from depression (etc), bad moods on others? A couch furniture object? That you can prioritize like medical bed?
- Managing animals: some more info (togglable or even on tooltip) about each animals state would be great (health, hunger)
   - In my case it was sending animals in and out to graze during toxic fallout
- Chicken eggs are forbidden? Do I have to manual unforbid them all (to move them to the hen house storage area?)
- Learning / tool tips for toxic fallout (and other game changing effects)
   - What causes sickness (unroofed vs inside)?
   - Do plants grow?
   - Indoor growing tips
   - Greenhouse tips
- Hunted animals rot immediately on death (sometimes) during fallout?
- Area for traders to rest/gather at.
- Feedback on why a colonist can't prioritize an activity. Got frustrated a number of times trying to make people prioritize something but no right click menu popup. A popup with an explanation why it is unavailable would be nice. For some unavailble actions this seems to work (no materials).
- Prioritized actions smartly override zoning: i.e. stay in the zone as best possible (travel to action), but if action requires leaving then do so and return to safe zone after complete.
- Although it may drastically change the nature of the game, having time based scheduling for tasks might be handy and seems like a reasonable way to manage people's schedules (in the real world). During fallout I wanted people to do unpowered tasks during the day and then in the evening after the sunlamps are off, turn on benches and get to work. I.E. instead of just generic "work" times, be able to set an activity type ("Research from 22-02").

[attachment deleted due to age]

qwertyasdf

After a few raids using heavy turrets, I feel like their propensity for friendly fire is way too high. I've lost one colonist (after he was hit in the heart), 4 huskies, a rhino, a muffulo and a camel to my auto cannons alone and the cleaning lady got her arm blown off by my uranium slug turret during a megaspider raid.

I love watching the turrets smack mechs into oblivion, but more often than not, they do more damage to my own colony :(

Edit: Just lost my main shooter/planter after the autoturret blasted his neck off :|

jchavezriva

Raiders are supposed to leave if you succeded at peace talks during the raid.

Most of them left, but some proceded to walk into some structures and destroy them before leaving.

They leave as soon as they destroy what they want, but they should leave without destroying anything...

bbqftw

Report.

I turned on the ship. ~590k wealth, 22 colonists.

Day 2 - first raid, 200+ tribal sappers, 4 groups. There was also 270 insect infest close during this reactor activation. Game running on <1 fps. Fights completely unplayable even if I'm not watching the spider vs tribals smackdown.

Basically only thing I could do to realistically fight these raids without computer destruction is mass doomsdays.

I am not sure whether it is intention that going over the old 10k raid point cap (think I'm at about 18k right now?) is intentionally punished with game unplayability. But surely there must be a better way than just dumping 400+ simultaneous units on field (even at 200 v 22 there were pretty big playability problems if there was an actual firefight, it came down to AoEing them down with rockets / doom before they could even shoot)

SchizoidCrow

Quote from: qwertyasdf on August 12, 2018, 07:27:06 PM
After a few raids using heavy turrets, I feel like their propensity for friendly fire is way too high. I've lost one colonist (after he was hit in the heart), 4 huskies, a rhino, a muffulo and a camel to my auto cannons alone and the cleaning lady got her arm blown off by my uranium slug turret during a megaspider raid.

I love watching the turrets smack mechs into oblivion, but more often than not, they do more damage to my own colony :(

I have similar experiences. The new turrets are awesome but they're really uncomfortable to use. The range limit suggests to me that they should not be used in the front, however, if I try to place them in the back, then friendly fire is bound to happen. The uranium slug can literally one-shot a pawn with armor. Having your colonist die because the turret targeted a scyther that reached your frontlines or because you simply forgot to command it to hold fire is not compelling. I see myself engaging less with my colonists because I'm scared that a turret is going to get some weird angle and kill them instead of the enemies, I try to counter it by micromanaging the turrets to hold fire when it doesn't seem safe. I'll even admit that I save-scummed the first couple of times it happened because I didn't expect it to be such a problem, I kind of just assumed that the turrets were more advanced (at least in contrast with the mini-turrets description) and accurate, and had less chance of friendly fire because of it.

I see myself in the future making more turrets and giving my colonists only charge lances (which I love btw, I like how they are a direct upgrade to the bolt-action rifle, balanced but not overly specialized) and sniper rifles.

username2

So I think I'm tested out of the new version. In total I spent 450 hours on the game, on B19 I spent about 40-60.

Feels like game took massive step forward but I see big problems with:
1) research pace + unfortunate RNG can create many dead real human hours which feel wasted. Maybe make scaling research pace a first class citizen in the difficulty choice screen, just because I like being destroyed by raiders doesn't mean I want to wait a year for electricity.
2) RNG battles dont feel very satisfying and I'm not really looking forward to the next challenge where my defensive options are very limited.
3) lack of access and interaction with the world - muffalos require high training, caravaning requires high preparation, drop pods are far off in research tree and in all the time I played this game I never left original map once.

These reasons as well as an incomplete tribal experience & end game experience really discourage me from continuing colonies past the first year as well as continuing to play the game after I ran each scenario once-twice.

Maybe create new scenario dedicated to caravaning, or maybe adjust tribal to always start with 2 muffalos and build this variant of the game from there.

Having said that, and as a gaming product manager, I really believe you've created an very special piece of software and hope you continue to dedicate yourself to this amazing creation and give us all a clear roadmap of future DLCs so we can show you our willingness to continue to pay to expand this world we've all fallen in love with.

Hatti

Quote from: username2 on August 13, 2018, 05:30:05 AM
2) RNG battles dont feel very satisfying and I'm not really looking forward to the next challenge where my defensive options are very limited.
3) lack of access and interaction with the world - muffalos require high training, caravaning requires high preparation, drop pods are far off in research tree and in all the time I played this game I never left original map once.

please explain! i dont even train obedience for muffs! just get them tamed and the caravan is ready to go!
Trading is a HUGE bonus. Sell chemfuel from boomaloops and drugs.

Battles are just hard till you looted some decent weapons. Just build a propper defensive wall. Even ships are easy if you dont run in front of it without building some stuff for defence

Tass237

Cass, Rough, Boreal, Flat, No Mods, Self-Imposed Commitment mode, ~6 hours in past 2 days.

My pawn with Resurrection Psychosis is now dead. (She got up to 57% before the end) I greatly enjoyed the experience of trying to keep her alive and in the colony for as long as possible.

Early on in her psychosis, I replaced her bionic limbs with prosthetic arms, and a peg leg, and took out her bionic eye (which I had only added because the resurrector mech serum left her blind in both eyes), because she can haul just fine while blind. This made her not really a threat too.

After a few smaller breaks, She decided to Run Wild. I marked her to tame, and kept an eye on her. The first few taming attempts failed, despite ~50% chance. Then she decided to hunt one of my colonists for food. This surprised me, as wild men (and women) are not marked as predator on the wildlife panel. Nevertheless, she wasn't a real threat, so we shot her to downed, rescued her, and patched her back up.
Once recovered enough to walk, she got out of bed, let herself out through several of my doors, then continued to be a wild person.
A few more failed taming attempts later (still all at ~50% chance, terrible RNG), she again decided to hunt a colonist. Again we downed her, rescued her, patched her up, and watched her let herself back outside. (I think the game conflates the wild animal state with the rescued friendly state to allow this)
Around this time a Heat Wave set in, and I had a Raid which injured my Handling pawn, so there were no attempts to tame her for a bit. After a while I noticed her downed with serious heat stroke, so I rescued her, and when she recovered, she decided to rejoin me rather than continue to be wild. I don't blame her, I too would self-tame for access to Air Conditioning.

Next, she decided to go Catatonic for a couple days, no big deal.

After that, she decided to Run Wild again, but this time was successfully tamed on the second try.

She had a tantrum, and decided to destroy a good plainleather armchair, so when she had beaten it about half down, I uninstalled it, hoping she would let it go. Instead, it said that since she couldn't reach the armchair (slightly wrong, as the uninstalled chair was at her feet, but not a big deal), she decided to beat up my pile of 77 Luciferium (I recently got 38 from a trade request), and I wasn't about to let that happen, so I had someone arrest her, and she submitted quietly, then I canceled the arrest before she got to the prison cell and everything was normal.

She decided to go slaughter some of my animals, so I again arrested her, to which she submitted quietly, and I again canceled the arrest before they got her to the prison cell, so everything went back to normal.

She decided to murder someone who was otherwise minding their own business watching TV, so I again arrested her, but this time she fought back and went Berserk. Because she was in my Dining/Rec room, suddenly several people were shooting her. She took a few hits before I drafted everyone with a gun and moved them out of the room, hoping the melee people would only down her with bruises. Unfortunately, I door-cheesed myself, with one of the drafted pawns turning around and shooting her in the brain through a closing door. Thus ended the life of Daza for the second, and final, time.