Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: erdrik on August 17, 2018, 08:41:58 AM

Eh... I kinda disagree.
There does not exist a means to live life in a society without relying on someone else in some way.
In the game and in real life.

Also practically everything in the game strongly suggests it is balanced around relying on others.
The skill decay, and starting skills randomizer is the biggest evidence to this. Ive never run into a pawn that was capable of doing everything needed to thrive effectively. It is undeniable that accepting help from and interacting with others provides a huge advantage. The "go it alone" mode is called Naked Brutality for a reason.

Autonomy is not the same as individualism or selfishness as you understand it. Autonomy is the ability/right for a group of people, say, a Nation (or City State example: Sparta) to rule itself without the interference of outsiders. For example, we "players" do not have the chance to start a new game with an affiliation to an already existing Faction, but we must create an entire faction by ourselves, and we do as we please.

Basically, this is just a one-time-experience. Since that's all you need to learn that from now on, any colony that you build besides the original first would do well to buy Advanced Components from before entering the never ending last third of the game and worry never again to be stuck in progress in the utter most boring part of the game.

Tynan

Other faction towns always have advanced components, as do several types of traders. There's no randomness in it.

There are some other more random bonus ways to get them, but it's impossible to get stuck waiting.

--

Quick new build is going up. This one should re-adjust the expectations boundaries to count floor wealth, and the LRMS now is guaranteed to find lumps at at least a certain minimum frequency. And various other changes.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

erdrik

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 17, 2018, 10:37:18 AM
Autonomy is not the same as individualism or selfishness as you understand it. Autonomy is the ability/right for a group of people, say, a Nation (or City State example: Sparta) to rule itself without the interference of outsiders. ...

In the context of maintaining "the ability/right for a group of people ... to rule itself", trade and scavenging is not "interference from outsiders". Raids and other attacks are.

Trade or scavenging does not prevent you from directing your colony in the manner you see fit.
The only things that even comes close to messing with your autonomy is being attacked and having your stuff stolen or destroyed or your colonists kidnapped or captured.

ZE

this isnt my playthrough but it does contain some information ya'll should be privvy to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qgg-vjZMBc

20th episode u may need to go back a few, shows the complications of caravan life.  things like living on the road isn't factored in to raids and such and he has had quite an easy time as a result.  ambushes by 3 people cuz your whole colony is in transit is funny when you have like 7 dudes to shoot em to death.

the caravan crazies (tm) where you are gathering people together and it takes so long they go on mental breaks is also a frequent issue in this series.  If you have the time you should watch it from the start, its quite informational as its an entire playthrough, and the youtuber does a good well at documenting every SINGLE thought he has lol

a few QoL things he does can be gleemed from his playthroughs that would be cool if it were made standard, like having a "meat spot" next to a stove to speed cook.  i wont go into everything as i dont have the time at the moment, but its quite informational for sure.

thuban

Hi,
While testing, I was surprised to find so few items and resources after raiding a town nearby. It is much more interesting to trade instead of destroy other bases, but it's probably intended?

Chicken Breast

Quote from: thuban on August 17, 2018, 12:25:55 PM
Hi,
While testing, I was surprised to find so few items and resources after raiding a town nearby. It is much more interesting to trade instead of destroy other bases, but it's probably intended?

I do appreciate this being pointed out by someone, just because I have similar thoughts about the enemy/rival/NPC bases being lacking. For one, I'd like there to be more factions in general. For two, why not have themed or specialized colonies? Bulk goods trading colonies would obviously have the ability to produce bulk resources, and that should show. Additionally, pirate traders and other types should come from colonies that have at least some evidence that they produce these things or have the ability to capture others, etc.

Of course, I can see where adding a bunch of stuff on faction maps can maybe make the game chug, or worse, crash at inopportune times, but I've never designed a game before lol

Sig by Me!

SchizoidCrow

Storyteller: Randy
Difficulty: Savage
Biome/hilliness: Boreal Forest/Large Hills
Commitment mode: No
Current colony age (days): 56
Hours played in the last 2 days: 6
Complete mod list: Progress Renderer, P-Music, and Numbers.

Uhm... something might be weird with my game. 4 raids and one manhunter pack in the span of five days. They have been fairly proportional, 3 - 4 pirates and 5 tribalists, and the manhunter pack was just one warg. I don't know if Randy got high on flake or if it has something to do with the latest build, but it's odd to me. I'll attach graphs.

[attachment deleted due to age]

whitebunny

Quote from: Nynzal on August 17, 2018, 10:17:11 AM
I think it is perfectly fine and often a great mechanic, that some stuff requires resources you dont have yet and are part of the workchain to get it.
It adds depth and difficulty. Btw, autonomy is nothing you can have easily and is something to aim for as an ultimate goal. Why should there be any traders if the colony is perfectly autonomous?

I was quite surprised that this complaint came from somebody who labels simplyfication as negative

I can't agree more. It helps you get involved into trading and/or getting out of your comfort zone at a point where you're supposed to have a good infrastructure in place and things are starting to get stale.

Dolphinizer

I've noticed that packing a large amount of things for a caravan really breaks the game. While packing colonists refuse to stop for recreation so if the packing takes longer than a day or so my colonists will start breaking nonstop because they're recreation starved. I hope something can be done to fix this because it's really hampering the effectiveness of my caravans.

EvadableMoxie

Quote from: Tynan on August 17, 2018, 10:47:30 AM
Other faction towns always have advanced components, as do several types of traders. There's no randomness in it.

There are some other more random bonus ways to get them, but it's impossible to get stuck waiting.

--

Quick new build is going up. This one should re-adjust the expectations boundaries to count floor wealth, and the LRMS now is guaranteed to find lumps at at least a certain minimum frequency. And various other changes.

I have sent caravans to get advanced components in neutral outlander towns on my last two playthroughs.  The first time the first settlement didn't have them, so I had to go to a second one.  On the current playthrough I'm on an island and the settlement on the island with me didn't have any.  I had to wait for a passing trade ship.  If they are meant to always have them that doesn't seem to be working at present.  Current playthrough was on 0.19.1996

podium86

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness: Temperate forest -9 to 30 degrees (30 days growing period)
Commitment mode: Yes
Colony age (days): 633
Hours played in the last 2 days: 10
Complete mod list: Numbers
Wealth : 741k (Made no attempt to control wealth)

Final Sequence Log
14 Sep 5510, 5pm : Engine Startup attempt with 19 colonists
14 Sep 5510, 7pm : 66 man Tribal Raid with Father and father in law of a couple , 1 colonist caught in the open while hauling (arrow stormed to down status and kidnapped immediately with the raid leaving)
15 Sep 5510 3pm : Recruited a prison to fill the ranks and carry the dropped minigun
1 Dec 5510 1pm : 41x Scythers Attacking from the north, no casualties except 5 or 6 turrets
2 Dec 5510 8am : 41x Scythers Northeast Direction, Called aid as turrets partially down and little time to rebuild traps (Only 8 men arrived and died as meatshields together with 10 animals, another 15 wounded badly)
2 Dec 5510 3pm : Group of 16 centipedes crawled from southward direction, Killing all the downed animals in the battlefield
2 Dec 5510 8pm : Bulk Goods Trader (Called), Stopped all cooking, planting and put everyone on repairs plus rebuilding mortar ammo
4 Dec 5510 3am : War Merchant (Called)
4 Dec 5510 4pm : Raid, 53 Pirates, mother of one of the colonists (One colonist got shot in the torso by my own sniper turret for 75 dmg, poor dude got himself eaten up by wild animals while i was mopping up the raid
4 Dec 5510 5pm : Prison Break!!! Decided to let them get shredded by turrets and left for dead
6 Dec 5510 2am : Siege, 32 Pirates, Easiest battle by far, a few mortar hits and they fled after a short exchange
6 Dec 5510 8pm : Raid, 32 Scythers and 75! Tribal Friendlies moved in to help! Being the warrior tribe they are, after mopping up the scythers these bravehearts charged straight at the trader group and took them as well. Such bravery
6 Dec 5510 2am : Second group of mechs, 8 centipede 7 lancers 6 scythers. With defenses still down, we bravely engaged, losing 2 colonists(resurrected) with another 2 badly injured
8 Dec 5510 0am : Shaman Merchant, *We ran out of steel and wood at this point
8 Dec 5510 1pm : Raid, More Mechs 7 Scythers from north, 9 from South. Raid sizes are dwindling in tandem with my base destruction and deaths. Barely any time to sleep and eat much less do anything else.
9 Dec 5510 0am : Siege, 19 men. No time to sleep! Mortar stations! 400 steel to haul home
9 Dec 5510 8pm : Siege, 21 men. Easy battle. More steel and mortar ammo
10 Dec 5510 4am : Drop pod raid on top of base! 15 men or so. No time to count. They died fast to strategically placed mini turrets in base
12 Dec 5510 0am : Mechs drop on top of us, called for aid only to realize that there were only six scythers, oh
12 Dec 5510 1am : Second wave? 4 centipedes and six lancers moving in from the north by foot, raid numbers are now small enough to cause absolutely zero issues
12 Dec 5510 0am : Size 20 Sapper Raid, Managed to chase them away with only losing 8 batteries.
12 Dec 5510 3am : 19 Man siege. Still waiting to even engage the first raid. Will have to split up.
12 Dec 5510 6am : Friendlies, 15 man
14 Dec 5510 5pm : Reactor ready

Notable observations :

1) Death tally :
10 colonists killed in total before ship launch attempt, 3 resurrected via resurrection serum

2 got fragged by siege mortars when i attempted to hunker down early game due to half the colonists out caravaning (hit once in the open once in the hospital)
1 colonists got hunted down by a warg on a mining expedition during winter
1 got his head shot off by an autocannon shot from behind
2 men storytold by mechanoid lancers
1 poor dude got storytold by my own charge lance
2 died during regular firefights with pirates
1 got euthanized due to broken pelvis, did not receive a single healer mech serum quest in 10 years game time

2) "Bedrooms" everywhere!?
My two 11x12 Hydroponics grow room = bedroom (very impressive 101 rating)
My 11x30 Storeroom = bedroom (Unbelievably impressive 173 rating)
My walled off Soil plantation area = bedroom (Extremely impressive 137 rating)
Hospital = bedroom (190 rating)
Primary dining room + rec room (210 rating)

3) Wondrously impressive rooms (rating beyond 240 seems practically unattainable? Raid sizes would be inhuman?)

4) Pawns able to immediately pick up items from stools and chairs yet need to turn to pick up from shelfs

5) Sniper turrets are the real danger, one shots my colonists from the back real easy, NEVER STAND IN FRONT OF ONE

6) My chemical interest pawn keeps overdosing and dropping his weapon. Micromanagement hell

7) Raid sizes dropped off a cliff after i lost 2 colonists in a desperate firefight halfway during reactor launch sequence. See debug graph

[attachment deleted due to age]

Goldenpotatoes

I recently went to an outlander town to trade with them and they only had regular components, so I'll assume that is just a bug then.

rimworlder22

In Beta 18 and before, centipedes with heavy charge blasters would rarely hit a pawn. In 0.19, a single charge is enough to kill/down one or more pawns and they spawn like 4 minimum playing on Cassandra rough with a total wealth of 420k. They went from easy and annoying to almost impossible and even more annoying.

erdrik

Is there a way to delete a worldmap quest?

Ive got a incap refugee quest, that is a relation to one of my colonists, but the only edge of the map that the game thinks is a "reachable exit" is the side that is blocked completely with mountains. I literally cannot send out caravans unless I dig a tunnel through the mountain. (I tested this with the debug destroy tool)

Tynan

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on August 17, 2018, 07:20:47 PM

I recently went to an outlander town to trade with them and they only had regular components, so I'll assume that is just a bug then.

Well damn, gonna have to look into that!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog