Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alxddd

Quote from: Tynan on August 18, 2018, 10:13:12 AM
For caravan loading, does simply putting the caravan loading spot adjacent to the stockpile help? If you're loading at a long distance it will indeed be harder.

Also, I'm looking for feedback on the cost of the ship. It's much less than B18, but how is it? Does it feel like it takes too long to build, too short, or okay?

Storyteller: Phoebe
Difficulty: Rough
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Forest/Mountaineous
Commitment mode: Yes
Colony age (days): 680 something
Hours played in the last 2 days: 2
Complete mod list: Conduit Deconstruct

For me the ship cost was definitely expensive and involved using the long-rang scanner, caravanning and trading to get all of the necessary supplies. It was at least a season's worth of work to get it done. That being said it felt balanced - not too hard considering it's likely the last big thing you'll have to build.

Caravan spot works fine I guess but I found making an animal zone more effective.

Also, I just wanted to add that I had an infestation last night after the most recent update, which I read now includes the value of your colonists bionic parts as part of colony wealth. I'm not much for the wealth metagame so many are obsessed with, but I just gotta say that I was very caught off guard by how big it was. Maybe it wouldn't have been so unexpected had that wealth been included all along, but it was seriously unexpected and felt overwhelming compared to anything I'd had to deal with so far in this campaign.

alxddd

Quote from: spidermonk on August 18, 2018, 11:34:00 AM
Caravan loading works great for me, but sometimes you'll forget something. Normally you can right-click on the missed item and select "add to the caravan", but sometimes this button is greyed out even if there is still place.

Also, when planning a caravan on the "Form caravan" screen, sometimes you need to check something in your colony and you have to close that screen. All your planning gets lost after that, which is really frustrating.

Sometimes you need to add an item to the caravan after it has already left but still near the colony. You can't do it right now without reforming the caravan, which is kind of sad.

I would like to add that all of these frustrations happen with transport pods too and it'd be nice to see a fix.

Starbug3D

Also, I'm looking for feedback on the cost of the ship. It's much less than B18, but how is it? Does it feel like it takes too long to build, too short, or okay?

I always start out thinking I'm going to rescue my peeps and the pets.  Then once I get to the stage I have everything built but the pods, I just lose interest and just build a couple.  The 15 days of pain makes it even less interested in hanging around a moment longer than I need to.  I imagine instead of rescuing my colony that they're just going for help and everyone will be fine until they get back.

In previous playthrus Uranium was slowing down my ship building progress.  This playthru (Cassanda Classic Medium) I'm flush on Uranium but way short on Plasteel and deep drilling isn't very rewarding for me.  I'm pretty sure my game predates changes to resource distribution and/or drilling so I'm planning on a new game pretty soon.  (I've got about 3.5 days left warming up my engine.)

In answer to your question, I think I would prefer a passenger module that held multiple people and was more inline in terms of cost with the other ship parts than the individual sardine cans which feel both expensive and inadequate.

whitebunny

Quote from: Starbug3D on August 18, 2018, 02:47:34 PM

I always start out thinking I'm going to rescue my peeps and the pets.  Then once I get to the stage I have everything built but the pods, I just lose interest and just build a couple.  The 15 days of pain makes it even less interested in hanging around a moment longer than I need to.  I imagine instead of rescuing my colony that they're just going for help and everyone will be fine until they get back.

I've never finished a single game, and this right here is the only thing the game is personally lacking for me, a true end goal that isn't the ship or just reaching some piece of land.

I'll admit to have logged 1400 hours on this game already and that i find so much joy just starting a new game with new settings every time things get boring; but the addition of some compelling, interesting endgame optional or not so optional challenges would put the game in a complete new level in my mind.

I guess what i'm trying to say is i'd like to see more endgame content and i'm aware this should be in suggestions but there you go, sorry =)

Thanks for all your hard work Tynan and team btw.

MajorFordson

Had my first ever caravan rescue party go out on a mission.

It was a bit of a fiasco, I ended up having to camp on the site after freeing the prisoner. Had three pawns that needed to rest for a few days to heal their wounds, luckily there was ripe food to be foraged on the map. There was an enemy I didn't kill on the other side of the prison cell the whole time who didn't seem interested in doing anything once they ran out of mortar shells, which was odd.

I think for the sake of simplicity and ease-of-use pawns need a massive mood buff, or make mood irrelevant, whilst caravaning. And when performing a raid too. That part of the game is supposed to be the chance for it to feel like a more tactical action game rather than colony management.

In other news - blighted crops is still dang irritating and not-fun. My crops got blighted whilst all my people were on the rescue mission, and when I got home every field was blighted. Fair enough, I thought, I'll just disallow sowing and wait for all the crops to die to save the effort of clearing it all. But that didn't happen. So blight killing the plant within two days would be nice. (or being replaced entirely by a more interesting, not-spot-and-click-lots event would be nice too, like some megascarabs spawning to attack your crops or something)

Re; Endgame content - It'd be nice to see a "settled" endgame situation, where the player has to meet certain criteria to count as a fully fledged new town, instead of building a ship. I'm sure mods will cover it at some point, but imagine being able to focus your town on providing an inn for caravans or a weapons manufacturer etc etc

neonings

Hey Tynan,

Not a hardcore player, currently working through the latest build on Pheobe rough and really enjoying my time.

Please can you add an option to choose where items purchased from orbital traders will land? currently i'm playing a map where they always land (without failure) in the middle of my freezers vent square. Please see my screenshot for an example for this space..

https://gyazo.com/dccd41b7a33bebfeb1a218ef695a6a2f

See those two coolers on the south side venting heat out of my freezers? If i buy more then one or two items one lands in that square every damn time requiring a quick deconstruction, haul and reconstruction to fix. its uncanny!

Love the game, keep up the good work!

Much faithfully,

Neonings, UK.

mndfreeze

Quote from: neonings on August 18, 2018, 08:20:54 PM
Hey Tynan,

Not a hardcore player, currently working through the latest build on Pheobe rough and really enjoying my time.

Please can you add an option to choose where items purchased from orbital traders will land? currently i'm playing a map where they always land (without failure) in the middle of my freezers vent square. Please see my screenshot for an example for this space..

https://gyazo.com/dccd41b7a33bebfeb1a218ef695a6a2f

See those two coolers on the south side venting heat out of my freezers? If i buy more then one or two items one lands in that square every damn time requiring a quick deconstruction, haul and reconstruction to fix. its uncanny!

Love the game, keep up the good work!

Much faithfully,

Neonings, UK.

I *think* you can build a second trader antenna outside where you want stuff to land and it should aim at that.  I only just started doing this (current base built into a mountain) and it appears to be working for me.

Yoshida Keiji

Fix needed:

* Friendlies drop pod landed on top of my Hospital.

* The drop pods crushed one of my "Bonded" pets.

* The crushed pet was nonetheless a boomrat, creating a fire hazard inside my mini hospital.

I'm unhappy, somebody send me a cookie.

Kirby23590

Dear tynan.

I don't know if i should post this in the general discussion. But your ranged pawns can you fire in minimum range to non-manhunter animals and nearby objects including friendlies and your own colonists. Including throwing a grenade under your feet in minimum range.

However it works fine when aganist a hostile raider. The shooter stops shooting and starts meleeing and shooting the melee attack would still revert to meleeing or idling if the attacker is missing alot. Even trying to shoot the down atttacker still requires the shooter to get out of his minimum range to fire.

It might not be a huge problem or big deal but it can be a bit silly if the grenadier throws a grenade under his feet but i don't know if i should post this in the bugs section or in here. I don't know if this is an oversight.

Blitz shoots his own buddy with his charge rifle in Min-range. Note the wall in blitz north was shot by his charge rifle in min-range as well.

Your fan, Kirby~

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Alenerel

In the workshop you should put all 1.0 mods into the 0.19 category and hide the 1.0 category. Otherwise it will be a mess when 1.0 gets out.

Tynan

Quote from: Kirby23590 on August 19, 2018, 03:17:27 AM
Dear tynan.

I don't know if i should post this in the general discussion. But your ranged pawns can you fire in minimum range to non-manhunter animals and nearby objects including friendlies and your own colonists. Including throwing a grenade under your feet in minimum range.

However it works fine when aganist a hostile raider. The shooter stops shooting and starts meleeing and shooting the melee attack would still revert to meleeing or idling if the attacker is missing alot. Even trying to shoot the down atttacker still requires the shooter to get out of his minimum range to fire.

It might not be a huge problem or big deal but it can be a bit silly if the grenadier throws a grenade under his feet but i don't know if i should post this in the bugs section or in here. I don't know if this is an oversight.

I don't really understand what you're saying. Can you answer:

1. What happened?
2. What did you expect to happen?
3. How can I reproduce the issue?

Thanks.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Firestonezz

Quick question: is it intended for social fights to be possible while pawns are drafted and actively in combat? Had one while fighting a manhunting group of polar bears due to one pawn slighting the other.

Golden

Quote from: Starbug3D on August 18, 2018, 02:47:34 PM

In previous playthrus Uranium was slowing down my ship building progress.  This playthru (Cassanda Classic Medium) I'm flush on Uranium but way short on Plasteel and deep drilling isn't very rewarding for me.  I'm pretty sure my game predates changes to resource distribution and/or drilling so I'm planning on a new game pretty soon.  (I've got about 3.5 days left warming up my engine.)

In answer to your question, I think I would prefer a passenger module that held multiple people and was more inline in terms of cost with the other ship parts than the individual sardine cans which feel both expensive and inadequate.

This exactly!!!  The annoyance of having to build all the separate caskets is the one problem I have with the cost and time involved with constructing the escape ship.  Not only does it take a very long time to create the materials (mainly the components), but in my opinion they cost a bit too much.

For example if I am trying to do a minimal number of pawns, 12 caskets is probably the least amount I need to get them off the planet.  That requires a total of 161 components and 97 advanced components (for the whole ship).  Even with 2 benches, that is a lot of time.

And that doesn't include the cost and time for the weapons and armor required for the security for the reactor starting sequence.  It just seems to be a little much.

fritzgryphon

+1 for ship build feels grindy.  Agree it doesn't matter if the process is slow or quick, because there are no unique challenges during that time. 

The 15 day startup raids are kinda interesting due to difficulty, but even then, they are the same kind of raids that the player has already repeatedly faced.  The unique "boss battle" that the player overcomes is whatever the AI core quest was, which may be as simple as fetching the core without opposition.  Once you have the AI core, the game is effectively won, but you need to grind for a few months, to build the ship, to see the win screen.  Each colonist that dies in that time just means one less crypto casket to build.  Usually I just start a new game instead.

I know it's not likely, but my only big wish is for a unique endgame challenge.  Idea:

Each major ship part requires a unique component that is only attainable from quests, or sacking pirate bases.  Pirate bases respawn in a random location if destroyed.  The player always has something interesting to do while building the ship (and finally a reason to carry out offensive raids).

Would especially be rad if pirate bases were more extensive and tough (like a player colony), so the player could carry out sieges.  Even cooler if there were terrestrial mechanoid bases as well.  Best thing ever if the bases had unique boss enemies or otherwise unattainable gear or weapons.

Lowkey1987

Storyteller: Cassandra
Difficulty: Savage
Biome/hilliness: Temperate Forest [Small Hills i think] -15°C to +15°C
Commitment mode: No
Colony age (days): 8 Years
Hours played in the last 2 days: 10
Complete mod list: No Mod

I am playing this now for four weeks i guess. And i have many opinions but here a thing or two which i found interisting:
- My Doctors don´t fail. I am a... good player i think, i use good medication, good rooms. Everything is neat and clean. But in B18 sometimes everything goes wrong if you harvest an organ or give some implants.
In my 8 Years in this colony  i never had this problem. I think it is okay! As long as i think for my pawns. My prision is not my hospital, and i had no problems with harvesting organs (i collect maybe ..10? If you need a kidnee, better take a lung too).
It is better than in the past, where everything is fine (clean, good room, good doc) and after the operation there is a mass and a dead man.
What consernse me is... not one single failure.
-Investations are hell. I savescum them. I have a small hill in which i dig a tunnel and placed fire traps for pirates. But when an infestations happend i have many insects which can eat bullets for breaktfast and evening and dont like to die. Nope. And because of my traps they attack immidiatly. But, they only start after year 5, so there where big every time.
-Why is there a reload button on the traps? As far as i have learned:
Build a trap, if it goes of, its vanished (is gone). Build a trap, set a homezone above it and my workers will rebuild it. Soo.... i never use this button, what would he do?
-Caravaning is a okay, i have ways which are about 1 day long. But as always, i really start when i have drop pods. Drops pods are great, unless you forget one item (like a sleeping bag).
EDIT: And i want to leave a town which is far away by a drop pod. ATM i can build a second settlement, shot supplys there, and destroy it after i leave, but this feels off. I just need a map to build some ramps and not a permanent second colony.
-Recently one of my pawns was attackt by a timber wolf. Not good, he lost both eyes and a hand. It was amazing!
-Mechanoids are a pain. A good pain, but a pain. The armys of them getting bigger, so now my new defence have two walls, because mostly my walls get destructed (i only have sandstone) and so my cover. The centipedies are very strong in my opinion. A little nerv to there weapons could be nice.
-For the ships of the mechanoids my recept is: Anti-Gravitiy trap. Helps alot.
-Food Poisening is to hard. I think, it works okay: The kitchen was dirty. The Cook was bad,perhaps. But its strikes to hard. If someone gets it, i know, he is useless. Even a pawn with another sickness can fight. A pawn with food poisening will come to late.
"Where is Bob?" "He is sick, very sick." "Oh...the black death?" "Naaa...bad potatoes."
-Mining colonies are nice (i think you call the device LRMS). But i mine a great part of the map before i noticed: There is no more steel. Perhaps it could be possible to give player like me a bit extra steel (or other things). It is not satisfying if you have 10 days, mine the middle and search the map and there is...nothing. Now i take 3 days: First day i build my base, second i mine my stone, third i leave.
If i knew there would be 300 or 600 more steel, i would stay 3 days longer.
And i do it with drop pods.

Soooo... i hope my english was readable. This is my greatest problem ^^
All in all i have fun!
One point i forget. In the past my colony was this old because i wanted it. I could leave, if i build a spaceship, but i wanted to stay. Sometimes i leave but mostly staying. Now i am not able to leave. I dont have the ressources at the moment to build a ship (okay, because i want proper defence) and also i need space for it, and on a normal map (forgot to change it at start) this could become a problem. But i will find a solution.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1485810917