[R1.0.2096] Craftable Luciferium

Started by nanonator102, January 28, 2018, 08:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanonator102

G'day everyone!

Have you ever wondered how all these traders are getting their luciferium? They craft it of course and so can you! This mod adds a (very complex) way to craft your own luciferium from the comfort of your compound!

This mod adds a variety of new items, all essential for producing your own luciferium from scratch. The first step is research. This can either be done progressively as needed or all at once to save you the hassle later. There are 6 new research tasks, all in their own tab for this mod. To ultimately produce luciferium, all 6 will need to be completed.
To start things off, there is a new plant called luciherb. Luciherb is a strong smelling red plant that takes 12 days to grow and gives 1 luciherb leaves on harvesting. It is used to make Luciherb concentrate, a thick red syrup that gives luciferium it's colour. This is combined with refined neutroamine, mechanites and plasteel to give the devil's bargain, luciferium. Refined neutroamine is as simple as the name suggests, a refined, more effective form of neutroamine used for advanced drug production. The mechanites found in luciferium are rather docile on their own, and can be extracted from luciferium and bred to produce more.
For all craftables there are recipes for 1x, 5x and 10x to make crafting a little easier.

Downloads:
Dropbox
Steam Workshop

I have tried my best to make this mod balanced, but I am sure there will be ways the balance can be improved, so if you have any suggestions for balance, please leave a comment.

The art in this mod is made by me, with the exception of the neutroamine texture that is used for most of the items. If you would like to help me with the art I would greatly appreciate your help.

Harry_Dicks

Congrats on your release. Any screenshots?

Depleted

If you can provide screenshots i may help you with artwork.

nanonator102

Just added some screenshots, the art for the luciherb plant & leaves were made by me and the art for everything else is base rimworld textures.

Vlad0mi3r

Ok I wanted to complete the process as you set it out in this mod before commenting.

So I have installed the mod and have worked my way through the process and actually made Luciferium using this mod. So first off I think you are on the right track with the steps needed to be taken and the level of competency required of the pawns.

Now to the issues. I did some raw costings for the production of 1 unit of Luciferium. Not taking into account the initial out lay of 5 Luci to get your breeder mechanites the cost in raw resources for 1 luci is $2258 silver. This is with a negotiator with 10 skill level in Social as well. Over 10 times the cost of buying the product on the open market. Bearing in mind as well that you are actually not free from relying on traders as you need Neutrotamine from somewhere.

The various items Refined Neutrotamine, Mechanites, Luciherb concentrate and Neutrotamine all sharing the same graphic. Time spent clicking through a stock pile to see what is what and what you need to make next is a bit to micro.

Luciherb dropping only 1 unit upon harvesting makes the process unstatinable the growth cycle verses the 5 day cycle of needing to take Luci just make thing even more epic.

So it all well and good to complain but what about solutions?

Include a method for making Neutrotamine. I would suggest using Chemfuel and Psychoid leaves 5 of each to make 1 Neutrotamine. Use the drug lab for the bill of course. Skill Level minimum 10 crafting. This will lower the cost as the Neutrotamine component was $1491. This also removes the dependence on traders. You might also want to add research for this step, at least 2000 research points.

Colour identifications, don't worry about changing the bottle but some different colours will help. Something bright for the Refined Neutrotamine say Yellow, Blue for Mechanites and red for Luciherb Concentrate. Let us know where we are at with a glance.

Luci Herb is the carrier it shouldn't be a major component you have to process it anyway, which turns it into a quadruple handle to get it to final product (Plant, Harvest, Refine and then Luci). I would suggest a yield of 5 units per plant.

I think if you made these changes or similar I think this will feel more vanilla. At the moment it feels like a double shot of Tequila followed up with a shot of Tabasco sauce.
Mods I would recommend:
Mending, Fertile Fields, Smokeleaf Industries and the Giddy Up series.

The Mod you must have:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=40545.msg403503#msg403503

nanonator102

Thanks for the suggestions Vlad0mi3r, I am currently remaking the mod for B19 and will definitely take on board your suggestions. While this mod can be used by itself, I recommend using it with another mod of mine, farmable neutroamine as it allows you to produce your own neutroamine without the reliance on traders, who can be unreliable at best.