How did your colony die?

Started by MachineGunLuke, June 18, 2018, 10:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kclace

Pirate raid downed 3 out of 4 colonists. The remaining colonist was in a building. Then the pirates opened up an ancient shrine which revealed an insect hive. The insects slaughtered all the pirates but couldn't reach my last surviving colonist. My last colonist fled the map and lived to fight another day.

Kirby23590

In A17. It's Because of a bug hive.

It trashed my colony. I decided to move somewhere elsewhere

I ran out of food and some of my people died from hunger & went for cannibalism even though were are not cannibals.

Everyone went bonkers and a pirates dropped in to make everything worse. I was using a weapon mod, My colonist named randy ate an hail of bullets from an M249 from a raider since Randy random hates people named after him.

Now everyone was upset i just activated dev mode and & spared some of my people by making them flee. But i made two people stay behind in a snowy forest where there is no food. Hypothermia is happening to my guys who are still wounded but are bleeding to death...

Poor Will he was an alright guy now lying in the ground because of a bullet in this stomach, and poor Hans who has survived a shot to a head from a Submachine gun & is bleeding to death while his dad named Chili who is fine but is sleeping because of exhaustion slept in the floor next to his dying son.

Such is the awful colony life from those awful bugs that get pissed off if you started trying to kill them with maxing out the temperature. It went from very bad to literally total despair.  :'(

I will never make mines or quarries inside my colony ever again.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

vzoxz0

My colony's demise either involves some stupid conflagration of events, or a very large army of cows. Cows are the worst.

BLACK_FR

My last colony (Merciless NB) died when my only pawn tried to reinstall trap. Trap activated and killed him) I'll never let this type of death happen again in my colony.
Guide to mastery of the game - https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=46290
If you have idea how make merciless naked brutality run more challenging and fun - tell me

Canaris

My last wipe :

I had seven tribal colonists with spears only ( no bows because extreme desert so no wood to make them ).
After one man tribal raid got repelled my storyteller decided to up the ante and sent four Blight Drones with boltguns plus two traitor guardsmen with lasguns...
I think i even managed to wound one of them before i got skullfucked into oblivion by their guns.
Phoneposter - typos will happen.

Tricke

My last wipe was kinda shitty tho:
This was nice start with classic scenario and there was nothing to go wrong, i thought, but my warg had another plans. He has started hunting on the muffalos near to my base and full horde of them decided to revenge. What was after you can easily guess 'cos 3 colonists in the start can't stand against 9 muffalos.
What are ya looking for?

Nghtlings are OP

This was (most likely)a bug, but it was still amusing.
So, I had the Tenants mod installed, so i could get a more immersive experience. So, i had my biggest colony of 12 colonists, but I hadn't begun the ship building process yet. A fugitive of a mechanoid hive wanted to be my tenant for 938 silver per day for 9 days. I was doing math and that would be ~3500(quick math). So i quickly accepted. 2 days later, a mech raid consisting of 3 lancers and 3 scythers attacked, calling themselves "Bounty Hunters". I disposed of them, losing an arm by a scyther. Afterwards, another raid of mechs came, then another, and then another. I had at least 12 pop-ups of bounty hunters. I was immediately overrun and lost 8 of my twelve colonists, one of them being a original starter. Then, groups of people from different factions started showing up, being bounty hunters as well. They started fighting themselves and the 30 count lancer firing line. People from one faction showed up riding animals from other factions. I gave up on my colony and tried getting my animals and remaining colonists out of there. In that process, I lost all my huskies and half my pigs. What I had left was my Dragon(Dragons Mod) and 2 Wildpods(Alpha Animals). 3 Scythers and a lancer started chasing down my escaping animals and my colonists. I lost 2 more colonists by scyther cuts or lancer shots. I decided to just end my people's suffering and sent them to battle the hundreds of enemies at the top of the map.

Long story short, I lost everyone. I learned a lesson though. Don't trust fugitives or people with names like Mary(the fugitive who killed my blooming colony)

jack1793

Quote from: Skryabin on July 26, 2018, 06:04:41 PM
Don't give up until last colonist dead!  ;)
That's my choice. However, the reasons of dying usually don't differ – it's either a raid or ancient danger!
As a long-time player of Rimworld, I still keep comming back to this game.
Guides and tips for beginners - https://www.rimworldguide.com/

petersohn

The death of my first colony: I sent 2 out of 3 colonists on a trading tour to a nearby village. The colony got raided by a single enemy. The enemy was carrying a knife. My colonist had a rifle. He missed the enemy. The enemy got close, stabbed my colonist, then burned everything to the ground. At this point, I could have started everything from stretch with my remaining people, but I was, like, 2 hours into the game, so I decided to start over.

panternack

I guess this is pretty basic for a first run:
I decided to take the three family members created by random. It took a while before the tutorial allowed me to create a double bed.
Things did reasonably well, even if the daughter died to infection while her leg was amputated and things got a bit gruesome as her replacement as scientist used her bed while her corpse was still left in it.
Eventually managed to make a sarcophagus but failed to build a protective wall in time for the great manhunting guinepig attack. Two colonists down (all the founders dead by now) and the rest in disarray.

This is when a two man raid comes in against a lone defender. I should have played better and kited them, but his shooting skill just was not up to the task and he went down. Meanwhile the other surviving member was catatonic in her room.

The man in black arrived, took out one raider causing the other one to flee by tunneling through the mountain straight into an ancient dagner, releasing a few mechs. Just after the man in bleck bled out, a trade caravan arrived and killed the remaining mechs (adding insult to injury I guess). After this it was just waiting for my catatonic colonist to succumb to malutrition, hypothermia and her several guinea pig related wounds.

I guess the "tunneling through an ancient danger" and "trade caravan arrives a day too late" are key here.

kclace

I played the custom scenario: The Family Farm: With Vanilla Factions Expanded Settlers:

The gist of the scenario is that you start with 1 pawn and a bunch of animals including 10 rabbits.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2064987161

The rabbits multiplied out of control (Had 30 at the end) and ate the entire corn crop and everything else. Then my guy got muscle parasites, which made it hard to bounce back. Then my guy had a mental break and decided he was going to slaughter all the rabbits.

But before he could do, a crazed drommedary killed him. The rabbits won.

I thought Phoebe Chillax on rough would be easier!

ManHuntingSquirrel

- The Squirrel-Llama Manhunting Association CEO

kclace

Most epic colony death. 450 chem fuel stored in a part of my base with steel walls and a concrete floor. The base was a single building made out of steel walls.

Colonist has a mental break tantrum and decides to destroy the chem fuel...

Boom! The resulting explosion causes the most out of control fire that I have ever seen. All the colonists die trying to fight the fire. The storage room heated up to over 500 degrees F.

In retrospect, I should have just tried to contain the fire, or maybe just grab the food out of the storage area so that they didn't starve after the base burned down.

BTW: if you ever thought firepoppers were irrelevant, think again!

Monsune

I sent twelve men on rescue mission. There was on imprisoned person and on guard. The prison seemed to be a great base, whith i decided to turn into second settlement. Hoever, after a short time, i was thrown to the caravan creation screen. I didn't want to leavemy new place, so i canceled deparure.
One click.
This is how i lost thiteen colonist on easy dificulty.

Ukas

Fun to read all these stories!

My favorite defeat happened in late alpha, I was playing a 400x400 boreal forest map. Gonna be a long story.

Had a beautiful town-like base, over 10 years old, with a really beautiful community center (acted as a luxurious panic room during manhunter events) where people could dine, watch art and play chess and ur-board. There was a founder's palace with furniture made of gold and jade, also the mayor had a really nice mansion. Hospital had four separate rooms, each one had three hospital beds, and a TV. There was also a separate movie theater with a wide screen, next to it stood a billiard salon. Most of the near 50 inhabitants lived in own houses with yards. The streets were paved, and there were even parks with paths and benches. As I was using the realistic darkness mod, the whole town was lit well.

Tactically town was mainly protected by nature: a wide river to the west, coast to the north, a big marsh to the east. Only south was solid land, but there lied the strongest defense line built with sandbags and pieces of plasteel wall.

Randy had been very cool for about a year, the time I used to build more buildings, such as a huge mausoleum built from slate, to honor the deceased colonists. Which weren't that many, the game had been relatively easy due to the awesome map.

Then one evening there was a raid, from a hostile colony. It came from the west where there weren't good fortifications, but it was fended off pretty quickly as the enemies had no cover and had to cross the river. Nevertheless several colonists received minor wounds. When these wounded ones were getting patched, a big bunch of pirate pods suddenly landed on the hospital. Two of the best snipers were killed in that raid. Interestingly they were a couple, and their wooden house also burned down during the raid, so it was like they never existed. Few medics went mental after loosing their friends, and seeing all the corpses in their beloved hospital. Which was bad because then melee guys got pretty beat up because of a prison break that followed. Had about 10 prisoners. And that sucked because then a huge mech raid started, so I had to put shooters against an army of scythers. Many body parts were lost, but to my surprise no one died. However, couple of the mechs took a different route, went to shoot my mortar bunker, and managed to blew it up, also themselves. Lost all of my mortar shells in that one. Which was bad, because then over 200 tribals showed up in the east.

It was a delayed raid, but half of the colonists were already in bad shape with not enough time to recover. Also it was getting dark and because of focusing to the patients I forgot to fix the electric system, and the town was mainly without lights excluding some individual torches here and there. The native group split as they often used to do in the past, one group using the small coastal strip in the north, and the other land formations in the southeast, and managed to get inside the town area pretty quickly. They lost a few to mines, traps and rifle fire, but they were many. A great desperate battle followed. I managed to slow their assault effectively by forming firebases and retreating groups to form pockts in street corners and houses, choosing to attack strongly in one place and retreat in other, sort of Rimworld urban guerilla tactics. Most animals took part in fighting but were quickly slaughtered. One labrador doggo, untrained in combat, did an extremely heroic rescue during intense firefight, but that was short lived, the dog was soon killed in the hospital, and the rescuee died to bleeding. The natives started fires where they could, which made the town look really hellish.

Surviving colonists, about ten of them and none without wounds, retreated over the crop fields to the new mausoleum, which had some ornamental structures they could use as cover. The natives pressed on, but had to cross the fields, and many of them were killed at that point. This offered some hope, but then they just overwhelmed this last pocket of resistance, killing or downing colonists one by one. I felt so heavy when they started to capture the living ones, and I started to look around if anyone could survive. Most were already dead, but many just downed. While searching possible survivors I didn't notice that some of the wounded natives fell down themselves, due to bleeding wounds, and finally the number of their casualties crossed the line - suddenly they dropped all the captured colonists and fled in panic! Hope! Ooh I was sure that at least some of the wounded could survive. I already even thought about leaving the colony and moving to another spot, as it was too rich to hold with the surviving minority. Except, no one got up to begin with. Not a one colonist to heal himself, and to rescue others. It felt like the last ones bled helplessly forever... but no one could get up.

The horror...
...the horror...