[1.0] Suggested Colony name error

Started by BlackSmokeDMax, June 18, 2018, 01:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackSmokeDMax

In my most recent game (newest build as of this post), when the event for naming popped, the suggested name was not allowed. My guess is it was too long, when I hit the randomize button a much shorter one showed up which was accepted.

Don't remember if it was faction or colony name... whichever is in top box of the window was the one that was too long.

Nightinggale

While talking about string length restrictions, I will add that savegames can be an issue too since they copy the name. Even with the same limit, it's still an issue because with savegames you would sometimes like to add a suffix to the name, like "raid", which isn't possible to add if the default name is 3 characters shorter than the limit. I encountered this issue in B18 once and while it wasn't a huge issue, it did become a bit annoying at times.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Tynan

We should probably:

-Increase the max length of player faction name somewhat
-Have the system auto-regenerate until it creates a name within the limit (up to 300 tries or whatever for safety).
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

extramrdo

+1, with the example "Individualistic Confederacy of Southern Goia" in my case for the faction name. "Individualistic Confederacy" was acceptable.

ison