Is it rude to make a mod that patches other mods?

Started by Bones, May 31, 2018, 11:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bones

I want to make a mod that would alter other mods via patching, I tried asking for permission to use their mod directly and most didn't reply and others said no so if I patched them I wouldn't be distributing their mod and thus probably would be okay.

Is it a common practice? Even if possible if the community doesn't like it then there is no point doing it so that's why I'm asking. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

crustymonkey

Look at their license if they've got one. This will tell you how they probably feel about reusing their code, patching, making derivative works, etc. Also, if the mod has a github page it's often better to fork the mod and make your changes. That way the author can merge any changes if they like. I find that compatibility patches are pretty much always welcome. The authors of the original mod are more often than not too busy to make sure their mod is compatible with the thousands of other mods out there. And you certainly don't need permission to patch a mod for personal use. Just don't expect to get much assistance in such an endeavor.

Canute

Patching other mod's is like modding the mod.

So long you don't use any code from the original mod and just use patching methode's you don't violated any licence.

Bones

Quote from: crustymonkey on May 31, 2018, 03:20:35 PM
Look at their license if they've got one. This will tell you how they probably feel about reusing their code, patching, making derivative works, etc. Also, if the mod has a github page it's often better to fork the mod and make your changes. That way the author can merge any changes if they like. I find that compatibility patches are pretty much always welcome. The authors of the original mod are more often than not too busy to make sure their mod is compatible with the thousands of other mods out there. And you certainly don't need permission to patch a mod for personal use. Just don't expect to get much assistance in such an endeavor.

Thanks, I will look for a license. The change I want to make is quite large and they probably don't want to incorporate it. I want to make a collection of alien races from other mods and then make than mostly human as to not ruin balance. As I asked for permission and two modders were very nice and another very rude so I kind of got the idea of just patching but even so they might ask for me to not patch their mod.

Quote from: Canute on May 31, 2018, 03:31:05 PM
Patching other mod's is like modding the mod.

So long you don't use any code from the original mod and just use patching method's you don't violated any licence.

Nice to know! It would be a long list of patches because I intend to remove a lot of things from other alien races mods as to make them play mostly as humans for better balance.

RawCode

fixing bugs is fair use, "fixing" author name is not.