What do you guys think of the quests in 1.0 and your strategy for them?

Started by ashaffee, June 19, 2018, 04:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashaffee

In most of beta 18 I've been scared to do quests. I always play on extreme difficulty so not having some of my colonist for a week plus the chance I didn't send enough of them for the threat level sounded not worth it. But in 1.0 most of these trips are only 1 day away and you don't need much food since they can graze.

I've only done 1 quests in 1.0 so far. I had 3 colonist a the time ( 1 none violent). 1 shooting scythe appeared. I waited till the scythe turned the corner so we could fight it out 1 tile away. I got lucky and took no injuries on my guys before it got killed. The person we rescued joined and had decent enough stats but gained two infections before getting home. I barely saved the person the infection got to 95%+. So over all it was 100% worth it.

I am really really tempted to do more of them but im still scared and only have 3 attacking colonist. What strategies do you guys use on these quests on decisions to pick them.

Next time I do this I realize now that you can't just leave the person down and heal them after the fight. Very very high chance they die of infection. It seems like you have to tend to them a little while the fight is going on.

dearmad

Good to hear there's been some effort to balance these things. I ignore them almost always.

have to say starting with one naked dude in my current run, I have continued to ignore them all, and going into my second spring with 4 now I imagine this year will be more building up reserves and contingency features to my base before I head out...

Quests should contain a bit more information imo...

Gwaheer

Quests never work for me. Early they are too risky, later they don't give any meaningful reward. Especially incapacitated refugee one - this is never worth effort and never justify the risks.

This is sad, but sitting behind solid defenses at all times is best strategy, for me at least. Every game at some point I just restrict my colonists to enclosed self-sufficient area.

Canute

Most quests scale with the people you send in.
So when you just send 2 pawn's you won't find a manhunter horde of 20 muffalo's or such kind.
But at the beginning, i basicly have no time to do any quests. The reward isn't worth it mosttimes.
It is more important to build up the base, sow&harvest plants or craft stuff.
Not to speak about the food when the destination is more then 2 day's away.
Ok with the new caravan forage it might be better, but only for non-extrem biome's.

ashaffee

You guys are forgetting he overhauled the reward system. A lot of the rewards are well worth it. The thing I'm not sure is worth it is the uncertainty. If I can get confirmation that the threat is based on the number of people you send I'd say it is more worth it. As it stands I don't know the radio of troops to send and troops to stay back. But trust me in 1.0 you want those quest items.

Rulin

Rescue quests def. not scale with colonists in caravan. I have once sent someone rescue his brother, just to find out he was surrounded by 6 sleeping scythers. And of course they wake up when you come too close.

Even with a bigger group I would have risked loosing many or all of the caravan, just to get one more survivor.

Of course there might be a nice tactic for encounters like this, so next time I try to take emp grenades with me. Only problem is I probably still have to kill all of them, because you cannot flee when there are still enemies on the map.
So "Stun and Run!" might not be possible afaik.

dearmad

Yeah some basic recon in the game is required... I mean maybe a day away from the destination we get some idea of wtf is out there? Or maybe when they radio asking for help they thoughtfully TELL US what to expect by way of enemies so that we actually have a chance to rescue your sorry ass!?

Revshawn

I'll tell you what. My current run as naked on Randy Random Intense has spawned a quest for 18 pair of pants in return for a bunch of gold and a bunch of uranium. And I've got to say. I'm really tempted to pull this one off.

PatrykSzczescie

Prior to the unstable release, I used to use a psychic animal pulser if it's not a rescuing mission - simply going to their base, building a wall around my colonist from a cheap material, activating the artefact and watching the view until the mission is done.

Rescuing missions were usually not worth it.

About trade offers - you simply do them if you think it's worth the resources and travelling time.

ashaffee

I just did an outpost quest that had a reward for a power armor chest (good). My tech at the time isn't even at normal armor yet so this was a huge reward. I sent 4 guys on a 2 day trip. The enemy was tribal with like 8-10 people. Honestly I would of just left the map and turned around but I got lucky and saw there was a entirely built structure. So I put my sniper to draw the fight. They let me kill 1 person and wound another before attacking. When they attacked I just put the melee guy 1 tile before the door and everyone behind him so they would come in a nice single filed line.

Everyone of my guys were injured after the fight but I got to heal up in their bedroll room and claim all of their furniture which sold for like 200 coins at the closest village.

On my way home I decided to look at  a rescue prisoner quest on the way home and entered a map with like 30 manhunting yorkies (didn't actually count them). With no way to stop from being surrounded I said f that and left the dude to be eaten by the yorkies and went home.

I left 2 guys at home and a psychic drop ship landed but not long after my guys returned so successful mission that was well worth it.