[1.0] Rest until healed ?

Started by NagashUD, June 19, 2018, 06:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NagashUD

Hmmm my pawns wont stay in bed when injured or sick, they always stand up trying to do something else; seems like it occurs more than the b18 version.

ashaffee

Mine never do that but I have work tab set up with numbers. If they need it then bed rest is only thing on 1 and all work jobs before is a 2. They might get up if I haven't set someone else to properly feed them and socialize with them(for their joy meter).

Jibbles

Concerning. Manually setting priorities in work tab does help, but it had quirks in previous versions such as pawns doing jobs out of order (this goes further than bed rest).  In my short time of playing 1.0, they got up several times to play horseshoes, they ate while they're up as well, even after clicking rest until healed while bed rest is set to 1.

NagashUD

Seems like bed priority does not change anything for medical beds, i've tried each number and they always stand up playing, even doing some low priority jobs as cleaning or whatever

xion1088

Not OP but I have encountered this issue as well, I had to forbid the door to make them stay in the hospital.

https://streamable.com/4gxqj

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: NagashUD on June 20, 2018, 06:19:36 AM
Seems like bed priority does not change anything for medical beds, i've tried each number and they always stand up playing, even doing some low priority jobs as cleaning or whatever

You are setting 'Patient' to 1 as well, correct? I've always been under the impression that the more brutal things are dictated by "Patient" and the minor issues by "Bed Rest."

Even with that, in previous alphas, I have also needed to set their bed to "Medical" and then prioritize them "rest until healed" and that has always done the trick. Is that full plan no longer working? Haven't had to deal with it yet myself, so no clue with the unstable1.0

NagashUD

Quote from: xion1088 on June 20, 2018, 02:56:42 PM
Not OP but I have encountered this issue as well, I had to forbid the door to make them stay in the hospital.

https://streamable.com/4gxqj

Yeah exactly what happening

NagashUD

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on June 20, 2018, 03:00:51 PM
Quote from: NagashUD on June 20, 2018, 06:19:36 AM

You are setting 'Patient' to 1 as well, correct? I've always been under the impression that the more brutal things are dictated by "Patient" and the minor issues by "Bed Rest."

Even with that, in previous alphas, I have also needed to set their bed to "Medical" and then prioritize them "rest until healed" and that has always done the trick. Is that full plan no longer working? Haven't had to deal with it yet myself, so no clue with the unstable1.0

It already happened sometimes on B18, but now it happens so much ofter everytime unless they can't move; but whatever the sleep priority, clicking on medical bed and 'rest until healed' after some seconds they stand up to fill their needs.

TheMeInTeam

Rest until healed with patient set to 1 allows pawns to still get up with infections or malaria.  This was a bug in B18 but it's super common now.

I don't want to put bedrest on high priority because most things don't need bedrest.  "Rest until healed" should do what it says, otherwise there's no point in having it.

Aerial

The joy meter really ought to pause (or at least be lower limited at the current value) while a pawn has severe injuries (maybe for as long as they have a specific pain level?) so they're not getting out of bed to try to do joy activities and so they don't suffer mental breaks because they were injured.

ETA:  Just occurred to me that there could be some kind of joy activity the pawns could do while stuck in bed.  Solitaire?  Reading a novel?  Maybe for a time after someone comes to do the "cheer up patient" activity, the bedridden one can entertain themselves with the cards/book their fellow colonist brought. 

I do like that they'll get up to feed themselves and think they should continue to do that at the "urgently hungry" stage, because how stupid is it to lay in bed and  starve when you could limped to the kitchen and scrounged something for yourself?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Aerial on June 21, 2018, 11:03:18 AM
The joy meter really ought to pause (or at least be lower limited at the current value) while a pawn has severe injuries (maybe for as long as they have a specific pain level?) so they're not getting out of bed to try to do joy activities and so they don't suffer mental breaks because they were injured.

ETA:  Just occurred to me that there could be some kind of joy activity the pawns could do while stuck in bed.  Solitaire?  Reading a novel?  Maybe for a time after someone comes to do the "cheer up patient" activity, the bedridden one can entertain themselves with the cards/book their fellow colonist brought. 

I do like that they'll get up to feed themselves and think they should continue to do that at the "urgently hungry" stage, because how stupid is it to lay in bed and  starve when you could limped to the kitchen and scrounged something for yourself?

There is TV you can place for them, Doctors have a job for cheering up patients. Think they can also talk to other patients, but not 100% on that. More would certainly be welcome, perhaps just some (game) table to build next to a medical bed.

Snafu_RW

@BlackSmoke: Yep. My B18 'most efficient hospital' layout is:                                   T                       tube TV
                                  h                       foot of bed
                                hHHHh
                                hHVHh                     Vitals in centre
                                 HHH                      Head of bed
                                 hhh
All this fits in 1 8x8 room, allowing 1 tile space all around for pathing, drug storage etc. The tube TV interact area just encompasses the heads of all 8 beds, allowing entertainment for everyone, while the overall room size is big enough to be spacious
Dom 8-)

Aerial

The TV requires a fairly mature colony.  A deck of cards or a book can be used from Day 1 and early colony is when interrupted healing is the most dangerous.

Snafu_RW

Ofc I wasn't advocating this as an initial start (cf vitals monitor), but something to work towards (ie plan out when structuring the base). In the meantime, maybe a decent statue/flowerpot or similar may bring the room's beauty/wealth limit up enough to offset the lack of joy..? And/or possibly a chess table (with or without chairs)? At least patients would have a joy source nearby..

Once tube TVs are unlocked it's a fairly trivial (ie fast) research to perform (IIRC 500 points once microelectronics is unlocked) & they don't take much skill or resources to make, so it can be beneficial to make at least one; they sell for reasonable prices too..
However I understand your concerns WRT colony 'first days'' joy source for hospitalised pawns.. perhaps it's intended that 'Low expectations' should counter that? Idk..

Dom 8-)

TheMeInTeam

Joy tolerance in general is a real problem now, especially for tribal.  You run out of joy options fast.  Even if you build everything you get ~50% tolerance in a hurry.