[1.0] Add more things to basic work

Started by Diana Winters, June 20, 2018, 08:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diana Winters

Things like feeding prisoners, patients, and animals could go under this. Or perhaps just create a different type of work for this.

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Wanderer_joins

Skilled doctors waste time feeding patients instead of treating injuries and infections for example. To feed patients you've to put low level doctors on the task, but they'll end up giving low quality care in critical situations like infections or diseases, unless you micro.

Mihsan

I am not directly for more "basic" work type, but I am 100% for moving/duplicating some minor tasks w/o skill checks to other relatable work types. For exampre "hauling" should bring building material to blueprints (while "construction" should still do it).

Ever saw a lot of stuff building in RimWorld? It is very inefficient: one constuctor brings materials, then builds a bit, then have to make a trip for materials ect... Most part of skilled worker's time is wasted on 100% unskilled work. That guy could just stay right there and do his skilled work while unskilled haulers bring him all that he needs in advance.

Even worse with doctor treating many patients or operating: a lot of time is wasted on hauling medicine and body parts. Many times I saw people bleed out just because doctor had to make a trip for medicine after treating different patient.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Serenity

That's why I really like the WorkTab mod. For vanilla it would be too complicated I guess, but as another optional layer of the job scheduler (simple, standard, detailed) it could break out a select few of the sub-jobs like feeding patients and hauling to construction. Then you can have nurses and apprentices.

DariusWolfe

Mouse over Hauling. Delivering resources has actually been moved to Hauling. I noticed this when I saw pawns who were NOT assigned to Construction (before I saw Fluffy had updated his mods) delivering resources.

Fluffy's Work Tab's 1.0 build actually seems to duplicate this functionality back into Construction; Or else, it's also included there in Vanilla.

Jdawg

In version 1.0 the Ai was tweaked so doctors will prioritize tending to an infection or injury over feeding a patient

jamaicancastle

I have to echo that it's a tremendous waste of the doctor's/warden's time, both feeding and, in the case of doctors, hauling supplies. I think it would both play better and look better if other pawns could haul medical supplies to tend the injured - even better if they could do so predictively. (Rescuing a pawn to a medical bed is a discrete job, so it should be possible to scan nearby medical beds for pawns that will soon occupy them, and check them for injuries.)

That way, instead of your doctors rushing back and forth from the stockpile (or my personal favorite micro, which is to have a non-doctor rescuing and a doctor waiting, drafted, in the stockpile for the tend job to become available - which is accepted medical practice nowhere, ever), one person goes and gets an armful of medicine, and parcels it out among the patients while the doctors start work on them. It would also cut down on the back and forth of prosthetic operations. ("Okay, I need medicine. It's in the stockpile. I'll bring it out to the patient. Okay, I need a leg. It's in the stockpile...") I know you can store items more efficiently, but that just leads to your medicine heaped up in a corner of your hospital 90% of the time.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: jamaicancastle on June 21, 2018, 11:29:28 PM
my personal favorite micro, which is to have a non-doctor rescuing and a doctor waiting, drafted, in the stockpile for the tend job to become available - which is accepted medical practice nowhere, ever ... I know you can store items more efficiently, but that just leads to your medicine heaped up in a corner of your hospital 90% of the time.

This right here. You know it, but you think it's bad? Medicine should always be stored near where it's going to be used. Keeping your medications across the colony is accepted medical practice nowhere, ever. I know it's common practice early on, as you're still building your colony, and bedrooms are often your first medical clinics, but it's still bad practice. Literally the only thing wrong with "medicine heaped up in a corner of your hospital" is the heaped part; If storage furniture were a thing in Rimworld, then there'd be nothing wrong with it at all, and would be the only acceptable way to do things. Adding additional, fairly complex code to cover for what you, as a player, should already be doing seems like bad use of time, to me.

I agree with most of your other concerns; I think moving things from point A to point B should not fall under the medical task, even if point B happens to be an injured colonist in the hospital. Talking to patients should be a social task as well. Hell, even delivering a pawn for surgery can easily be taken out. With Fluffy's Work Tab, I often have rescue, feed, talk and deliver set to ALL pawns, with my primary doctor set to a lower priority; They'll do the task if I need them to, but they're not the primary person doing so. I'll often have a less critical pawn rescue while my doctor sleeps a bit longer, if the problem happens in the middle of the night.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: Jdawg on June 21, 2018, 12:59:47 PM
In version 1.0 the Ai was tweaked so doctors will prioritize tending to an infection or injury over feeding a patient

It's always been this way. The problem is if you prioritize manually (which you should because the AI won't pick the right patient unless they're ded), the doctor stops the bleeding, then bandages bruises, then feeds the patient, and only then goes to the next one.
I usually use work tab but there is room for a nursing or basic job.