[1.0.1941] Infection on badly damaged torso kills pawn before 100% infection.

Started by Mihsan, June 22, 2018, 08:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mihsan

Rewriten with newest info:
1) Pawn had badly wounded torso and infection on it.
2) Pawn dies right after infection switches from major to extreme (78%) because efficiecy on body part "torso" drops to 0%.
3) I expected pawn not to die from infection below 100%. Torso efficiecy should not drop to zero in such case or it should not cause death - it makes so that almost any infection on torso will kill pawn.
4) Save file with conditions (pawn's name - Marina): https://cloud.mail.ru/public/CyGd/unn4Vuwjh

[attachment deleted due to age]
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Canute

You know pawn's can die from other reasons too ?
Or in your case the combination ofr various reasons.
Yes the infection is lethal at 100%, but before he weaken the pawn at serveral ways.
All these infections, together with the blood loose and the pain, and damaged bodypart let the pawn just die.

Sometimes you can't safe one.

Mihsan

Quote from: Canute on June 22, 2018, 08:47:12 AM
You know pawn's can die from other reasons too ?
Or in your case the combination ofr various reasons.
Yes the infection is lethal at 100%, but before he weaken the pawn at serveral ways.
All these infections, together with the blood loose and the pain, and damaged bodypart let the pawn just die.

Sometimes you can't safe one.
But what is expression of that "weaken"? Is it blood level? Pain? Some other hidden value? Plus one time I used Go-Juice on that pawn and she could even walk when she died - that is definitely not "weaken".

It feels more like a bug to me. Otherwise game should explain better the cause of death: let it be at least "bad health caused by mutliple infections, blood loss and pain" - I would accept and understand that. But when it tells that cause of death is 78% infection or 60% blood loss - I see it as some rules were broken.

Elendil

So I loaded up your save. Straight up I see that her consciousness is at 10%. When consciousness reaches 0 = death.
When I mouse over it, I see that it is affected by:

Bloodloss (extreme)
Malnutrition (trivial)
Breathing 75%
Pain 100%

In the following scenario she is fed and tended to immediatelly when she needs to (IMPORTATNT):

As I speed up time, consciousness drops to 6% as her breathing decreases to 67%, as her right lung is infected. But then, her bloodloss goes from extreme to severe, her consciousness increases to 11%. At 23h 2nd of Jugust her consciousness jumps up to 33% as her bloodloss becomes only moderate and her pain level starts dropping. At 1h 3rd of Jugust her consciousness drops to 28% as the infection in her torso becomes extreme. At 2h 3rd of Jugust her consciousness jumps back up to 35% as she acquires immunity to all her infections. At 9h 3rd of Jugust she is no longer incapable of walking.

In the following scenario I forbid the door to her room:

Starts again with consciousness at 10%. Her consciousness drops to 6% with how her infection progresses and her breathing drops. Time of death is 15h 2nd of Jugust, when her malnutritioun goes from 39% (minor) - which amounts to -10% consciousness to 40% (moderate) - which amounts to -20% consciousness . Since her which amounts consciousness is already at 6%, she can't take the -10% increase and dies.

I only run these two tests, but here are possible reasons she might have died in some cases and didn't in others:
1) She wasn't fed in time and the malnutrition killed her
2) The room is dark, you have 5 doctors. It is possible that some of her infection tendings were insufficient in some runs of the save, which allowed the infection in her lung to progress too much as well, causing further hits to consciousness . Make sure to perform medical tasks in lit rooms to assure best possible tend quality.

In conclusion, it doesn't seem like a bug, it's just that her consciousness reached 0. I've had people with brain damage die from the flu despite best possible care, simply because they couldn't afford the consciousness loss. Hell, I had people die just because they weren't fed in time and the malnutrition killed them. As to why it always tells you what she died from: notice that it's always something affecting her consciousness . Always mouse over things in the health tab to see what affects what and make sure you watch your pawns consciousness .

Mihsan

Thanks for your research and some explaining, Elendil!

On one side you have made some good points. There was a malnutrition. My tests have shown that there is a chance that quick removing of malnutrition will sometimes keep her alive. Still malnutrition itself does not look like to be the cause of death - I had test runs when there was no malnutrition debuff and she still died.

Also after some more tests I still have giant doubt that consciousness below certain level might be the cause of death. My first clue was that she died even when she was high on Go-Juice (which removes pain, which keeps consciousness high). It still left some doubt because game might not count drugs in some calculation (remember that fixed bug with alive headless pawns on luciferium?). So I created situation when there are no drugs, she has 33% consciousness, there is no malnutrition... and she still dies. See attached image - it is seconds before. Also save file: https://cloud.mail.ru/public/CyGd/unn4Vuwjh

Upd: At that point I can even repair infected lung and leg with dev mode - she will still die. Only repairing body will save her, but it cures every possible problem on the whole body... Maybe there is some hidden infection? She has "sickly" threat - maybe it is involved somehow?

BlackSmokeDMax

I loaded up the save and let it run at full speed. I didn't micro anything. Noticed right away that Marina's torso started at an efficiency of 2.5%. If that falls to 0, she dies. Let it run, let it run. There was a lot of doctors coming and going. But it seems she is going to make it, consciousness currently at 43% and climbing.

Didn't pay attention to anything else in the colony except watching those stats.

Possibly better RNG during treatments?

I saved it if you want a copy of the save back at this point.

Mihsan

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on June 22, 2018, 04:01:30 PM
I loaded up the save and let it run at full speed. I didn't micro anything. Noticed right away that Marina's torso started at an efficiency of 2.5%. If that falls to 0, she dies. Let it run, let it run. There was a lot of doctors coming and going. But it seems she is going to make it, consciousness currently at 43% and climbing.

Didn't pay attention to anything else in the colony except watching those stats.

I could save her myself if I really wanted (even if it is with dev mode; but I even had some runs when it happens w/o cheating). What I want is to know why she dies.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Mihsan on June 22, 2018, 04:10:17 PM
Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on June 22, 2018, 04:01:30 PM

I could save her myself if I really wanted (even if it is with dev mode; but I even had some runs when it happens w/o cheating). What I want is to know why she dies.

For the record, didn't use dev mode. Nor did I do anything except watch the game play and she seems to be fine. Maybe I'll reload the save again and see if something different happens. I'd certainly watch the torso efficiency though, being at only 2.5% when I first loaded I thought for sure that was going to be the thing that got her.

Mihsan

Another one. And I think that now I understand what happens. Pawn dies because efficiecy on body drops to 0% (because body is damaged already and infection gives additional reduction).

I don think that it is right...

Mihsan

Even more outrageous: death from minor (0,1%!!!) torso infection.

Also I rewriten my bug report with newest information.

sc4s2cg

I can confirm this bug. Infection of torso: Immunity at 90%, infection at 87%. No other infections or bleeding, she just finished eating at the table then went back to bed. Got a notification that it turned extreme, then a couple seconds later that she died. As you can see, no malnutrition in this case. I've had this happen a couple times before in other runs but never got a screenshot. This is on version 1.0.1943.

https://i.imgur.com/uBIVLpf.jpg

YokoZar

This is working as intended, but the game could be a bit more helpful by explaining the totality of the death.  If you die of 0% consciousness, and the trigger event was a new infection, rather than saying you "died of infection" the game could say you "died of infection, brain injury, and smokeleaf overdose"

Mihsan

Quote from: YokoZar on June 25, 2018, 09:35:51 PMIf you die of 0% consciousness
But this is not the case. None of vitals (blood, breathing, consciousness...) are at 0%. Only efficiency of part "body" is at 0% (while that body part still has hit points!). And my point is: body should not have efficiency because it does nothing (unlike efficiency on heart, liver ect.).

Canute

Mihsan,
i agree with you.
The current effects from the infection are to high. Or at last the effects from multiple infection stack.
An multiple infection after some combat will be nearly 100% lethal.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Mihsan on June 26, 2018, 07:21:45 AM
Quote from: YokoZar on June 25, 2018, 09:35:51 PMIf you die of 0% consciousness
But this is not the case. None of vitals (blood, breathing, consciousness...) are at 0%. Only efficiency of part "body" is at 0% (while that body part still has hit points!). And my point is: body should not have efficiency because it does nothing (unlike efficiency on heart, liver ect.).

I think you are reading a bit much into the word "efficiency." There is likely a better word, perhaps the word should be "operational." Meaning if your torso is at 0% operation level, you are dead. I am pretty sure that is the way Tynan is using the word efficiency in this case. Which is a valid, if more obscure, use of the word.