give some love to melee

Started by Rincewind, June 23, 2018, 04:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rincewind

At current state playing as melee is super boring, you have to do a ton of micromanagement during battle. Please add at least simple button with 2+ states :
- Hold position
Current game behavior. Melee able only stand to death
- Attack anything hostile on sight
Default raider's behavior, pawns controlled by player currently don't have even this. Even if this behavior will be able to use as player i already will be happy.
- Defend position
Pawn holding position, attack anything hostile on sight in small radios, if nothing hostile left he return to default position

there can be more functions similar to RTS, but even 1 button which switch pawn behavior from hold to attack is already will change gameplay drastically.

Currently it's superboring to play as melee only colony. You have to click targets for each pawn. And Even more boredom since only one melee able to attack target, so if you are misclicked - ....

sorry for crap english

Canute

Forget it, Tynan and the Dev team don't love mellee.
They are all Range weapon freaks.
Since many version we want some mellee improvents and don't got any.

Kirby23590

Why not give some thing like parry? block or critical hits in melee? that will help melee users.

I mean the maces and clubs can now have a chance to stun but it doesn't say what are the chances in the description however.

I also remember a mod adding critical hits and parrying for melee.

Quote from: Canute on June 23, 2018, 05:20:41 AM
Forget it, Tynan and the Dev team don't love melee.
Since many version we want some melee improvements and don't got any.

Same thing with fallout 3 and 4 with Bethesda.

Funny thing is in New vegas which is made by obsidian. Melee and Unarmed with the right skills and perks was freaking OP!! Didn't stop me from using Anti-material rifles against deathclaws however since they are much worse and scarier than in FO3.

Give melee weapons some love. I would like to use a greatsword or a zweihander any day to the boring modern guns at times.

If there was ammo for guns and turrets including grenades. Melee would have a advantage over ranged.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

ashaffee

Well since tyrnan said he was removing the ranged point blank melee. Melee will be a lot stronger by default in 1.0. The bullet deflect system nerfs guns so in turn makes melee more viable. Melee also has a chance to stun which makes them even more deadly. Get to shield belt time with power armored your melee characters can cause some great havoc. I do agree they require a little to much micromanagement and could use a few QoL mods.

Bones

Quote from: Rincewind on June 23, 2018, 04:12:17 AM
At current state playing as melee is super boring, you have to do a ton of micromanagement during battle. Please add at least simple button with 2+ states :
- Hold position
Default raider's behavior, pawns controlled by player currently don't have even this. Even if this behavior will be able to use as player i already will be happy.
- Defend position
Pawn holding position, attack anything hostile on sight in small radios, if nothing hostile left he return to default position

there can be more functions similar to RTS, but even 1 button which switch pawn behavior from hold to attack is already will change gameplay drastically.

Currently it's superboring to play as melee only colony. You have to click targets for each pawn. And Even more boredom since only one melee able to attack target, so if you are misclicked - ....

sorry for crap english

There is a button that you can choose what to do when attacked, the default is flee and there is attack and another I don't remember.

I set everyone to attack and gave them weapons. Once when I was hunting a warg when I started firing it became hostile and come towards my pawn and another pawn that was near and hauling immediately started shooting the warg as well.

Rincewind

Quote from: tiagocc0 on June 25, 2018, 09:24:44 AM
Quote from: Rincewind on June 23, 2018, 04:12:17 AM
- Hold position
- Defend position

sorry for crap english

There is a button that you can choose what to do when attacked, the default is flee and there is attack and another I don't remember.

I set everyone to attack and gave them weapons. Once when I was hunting a warg when I started firing it became hostile and come towards my pawn and another pawn that was near and hauling immediately started shooting the warg as well.

i know about this button and how exactly it will help in siege? do you know what range to trigger this? do you played a melee colony at least once? i think you don't.

at current state it's impossible to play medieval mods as melee, same for LOTR dwarfs. It's crazy amount of micro-control vs standing and shooting everything on sight as ranged.

well no answer from devs, so i guess no hope here anyway. For me 1.0 is look useless except one thing - ability to add/remove items during caravan forming.

Bones

Quote from: Rincewind on June 25, 2018, 09:42:18 AMi know about this button and how exactly it will help in siege? do you know what range to trigger this? do you played a melee colony at least once? i think you don't.

I was just informing and if you already know about it then it's ok, I even told you I used it with ranged weapon. No need to be rude.

Rincewind

Quote from: tiagocc0 on June 25, 2018, 09:51:11 AM
Quote from: Rincewind on June 25, 2018, 09:42:18 AMi know about this button and how exactly it will help in siege? do you know what range to trigger this? do you played a melee colony at least once? i think you don't.

I was just informing and if you already know about it then it's ok, I even told you I used it with ranged weapon. No need to be rude.

well i am not tried to be rude at all, this button is not helpful here, that all :)

TheMeInTeam

Quote from: Canute on June 23, 2018, 05:20:41 AM
Forget it, Tynan and the Dev team don't love mellee.
Since many version we want some mellee improvents and don't got any.

Melee got a few buffs in 1.0, and now that enemies don't shoot guns point blank they can be used w/o huge risk.

That said I don't think player weapons should be allowed to fire point blank either.  Too many of the guns are incredibly strong at touch range relative to melee.  I guess you could nerf touch accuracy, but it makes more sense to just force melee at melee. 

Buffing melee weapons would make their output too high.

ashaffee

Rinceworld if you want an answer from the devs go to the thread that he made to teach us why he made his choices in the game and specifically ask. He has answered more posts than I ever seen any creator do. I can only guess the man is working like 14 hours + a day on this game at least 6 days a week.

Razzoriel

I just don't like that my leather shirt will be able to once in a while deflect bullets.

ReZpawner

They just introduced plate armour. Surely that's love? Plate armour, shield belts, what else do you want?

Rincewind

Quote from: ReZpawner on June 25, 2018, 07:07:59 PM
They just introduced plate armour. Surely that's love? Plate armour, shield belts, what else do you want?
proper melee pawn UI :). I can't believe that it's really hard to add one trigger button which reflect 2 states - default behavior when pawn just stand and waiting for incoming forces and second one is AI behavior to attack anything hostile.
Voila, even with this i will be happy. It's cut off about 99% of useless management during battle.

I don't care about plate armor, there few of mods which already have it.

Ser Kitteh

Melee has probably been as best as it gets as of 1.0. The armor still needs work, but melee has never been viable as it is.

I honestly don't understand Rincewind's argument for a behavior to attack anything hostile. Melee fighters are mailed fists that gang up on that one dude so the shooters can shoot all the other dudes. Melee fighters exist to serve as meat shields at the gates or said mailed fist.

Rincewind

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on June 25, 2018, 07:52:47 PM
Melee has probably been as best as it gets as of 1.0. The armor still needs work, but melee has never been viable as it is.

I honestly don't understand Rincewind's argument for a behavior to attack anything hostile. Melee fighters are mailed fists that gang up on that one dude so the shooters can shoot all the other dudes. Melee fighters exist to serve as meat shields at the gates or said mailed fist.

tell it to them
or you suggest to use elfish bows? disgusting!

[attachment deleted due to age]