[POLL!] What happened to Glitterworld term, replaced by "Urbworld?

Started by dearmad, June 25, 2018, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitterworld Medicine? Or Ultratech?

Glitterworld is evocative, fun, so Rimworldy good, I'll take the risk, cut off that limb!
48 (82.8%)
Ultratech is modern, concise, factual, and to the point. More likely to cure my ails.
10 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: July 23, 2018, 05:21:03 PM

dearmad

Glitterworld was a far more evocative term, I think. Or is it still in the game?

Ultratech medicine? Blech!!!!

Injured Muffalo

A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

dearmad

Ambaire

Quote from: dearmad on June 25, 2018, 11:43:16 PM
Was there some sort of copyright problem?

I can't imagine, since the first page of Google results is Rimworld-related.

Thirding the question of why it was changed. Seems completely unnecessary.

Kirby23590

Quote from: dearmad on June 25, 2018, 10:40:32 PM
Ultratech medicine? Blech!!!!

I prefer the word of Glitterworld Medicine.

Ultratech sounds more like meh... to be honest.

Why not the word Glittertech or Glitter-Medicine?

C'mon everyone has dreamed of what a glitterworld in rimworld's universe is like as the game and fiction primer has is said it very beautiful and hi-tech.

Quote from: dearmad on June 25, 2018, 11:43:16 PM
Was there some sort of copyright problem?

Or should i say. Tynan and Ludeon wants it to sound simple. ;)

I will make a minimod that returns the word gliterworld medicine and other some minor jazz if i'm not being lazy.

EDIT:
Quote from: TynanIt's just called Ultratech because that's the tech level; it doesn't necessarily come from a glitterworld. I've been trying to standardize things a bit towards the RW tech levels (Neolithic, medieval, industrial, spacer, ultratech, archotech).

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

ReZpawner

Renaming an item this late? I don't know why we even bother with this game anymore. This is almost as bad as the door incident.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: ReZpawner on June 26, 2018, 01:43:33 AM
Renaming an item this late? I don't know why we even bother with this game anymore. This is almost as bad as the door incident.

What better time to standardize the naming of things then before the actual official release? You do realize the game is still technically in a beta, right? This is literally the time for polish and final tweaks.

ReZpawner

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on June 26, 2018, 01:50:26 AM

What better time to standardize the naming of things then before the actual official release? You do realize the game is still technically in a beta, right? This is literally the time for polish and final tweaks.

It was a sarcastic remark in reference to the "literally unplayable" door incident where the graphics were off by one pixel.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Call me Arty

Quote from: Tynan on June 25, 2018, 11:37:23 PM
<snip>

It's just called Ultratech because that's the tech level; it doesn't necessarily come from a glitterworld. I've been trying to standardize things a bit towards the RW tech levels (Neolithic, medieval, industrial, spacer, ultratech, archotech).

<snop>

Seems arbitrary, but that's Tynan's answer. I guess it makes sense. We don't have Rimworld Medicine or Mid/Urbworld Medicine. At the same time though, there's no other ultratech (to my knowledge), and you can really only get the stuff from trade ships, or off people that are from/had dealings with those civilizations, so I don't see why we wouldn't keep the name. Maybe he's planning more ultratech, Idunno.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Aerial

Adding my vote to bring back Glitterworld.  There's value in standardizing, but not when it takes away one of the really cool little details that make the game world feel authentic.

Adamiks

Glitterworld adds some uniqueness to the game, if glitter stuff like just gets renamed to "ultratech" i imagine that most new players won't come in touch with the term Glitterworld for some time, or pay it no mind, which is kinda sad to think about. Just the word itself adds up so much hype and potentially inspires modders to fill in the Glitterworld niche (like it already has)

Tynan

Glitterworld stuff is still in the game (backstories). All I changed was the medicine, since it's not necessarily from a glitterworld, it'd be weird to name it that. So it's named for its tech level.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Syrchalis

I understand the reason, but I must say when I read about a medicine it just puts a lot more images in my head to read "it's from one of this super advanced worlds, called glitterworlds" than "it's this super high tech medicine".
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: ReZpawner on June 26, 2018, 01:53:10 AM
Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on June 26, 2018, 01:50:26 AM

It was a sarcastic remark in reference to the "literally unplayable" door incident where the graphics were off by one pixel.

I've been bamboozled.

Serenity

Glitterworld medicine still works as a colloquial name for advanced tech even if it's not literally from a glitterworld. Plenty such examples in real life