[POLL!] What happened to Glitterworld term, replaced by "Urbworld?

Started by dearmad, June 25, 2018, 10:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitterworld Medicine? Or Ultratech?

Glitterworld is evocative, fun, so Rimworldy good, I'll take the risk, cut off that limb!
48 (82.8%)
Ultratech is modern, concise, factual, and to the point. More likely to cure my ails.
10 (17.2%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: July 23, 2018, 05:21:03 PM

Kirby23590

Quote from: Adamiks on July 01, 2018, 11:28:45 PM
Did Tynan revert it back?
Yes. Yes he did. 8)

Quote from: Tynan on July 01, 2018, 05:52:37 AM
Rename ultratech medicine -> glitterworld medicine

Quote from: Razzoriel on July 02, 2018, 12:53:42 AM
Tynan keeps messing up naming stuff. Autopistol makes no sense. Chain shotgun makes no sense (Auto Shotgun would make a LOT more sense, in this case). Ultratech Medicine change after everyone already understood the connection between glitterworlds and top-tech medicine makes no sense. Lumping three months together to portray seasons instead of using seasons makes no sense.

I agree with you with Autopistols. Autopistol sounds werid to me since i'm a gun guy, semi-auto pistol would fit more or just pistol.

However with your argument with chain shotguns. I found the name weird, but i weirdly kind of like it... In B18 and A17, it used to look like a Saiga Shotgun until in V1.0 they changed the graphic/sprite of it to a fictional one ( Which looks like it was made from a nerf gun or from a grenade launcher. ) I still like it despite it being underused and very situational ingame. However i would like to see a real auto shotgun or a semi-auto shotgun from a mod that makes fit in rimworld's artstyle.

I agree with you with glitterworld medicines. I like the term gliterworld. They could have made it more sense to call them Hi-tech Medicine or Advanced Medicine. However glitterworld medicine is still stuck in my head and reading what a glitterworld is in the fiction primer made very sense & understandable what a glitterworld is and why your colonists are trying to escape the rimworld to get to a glitterworld by building a ship or finding one.

I also agree with you in lumping three months rather the names of seasons. I found it weird too. I prefer Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter more than Jug-ust or Nov-cember.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Boston

Autopistol is a WH40k-thing. except in Wh40k, the term "Autopistol" generally refers to what would be considered a Machine Pistol (in fact, the generic WH40k Autopistol tends to look like the Rimworld Machinepistol, aka a Mac-10/Uzi) or an SMG.

I would love for Rimworld to have more Wh40k references. Everything is a bit too "generically Western" for my tastes, personally.

Serenity

There are fully automatic pistols. They just aren't all that practical

DuckBoy

New Poll:

HerbalMed or
RimMed

All my prisoners get Rimmed. 

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Kirby23590 on July 02, 2018, 05:43:55 AM

I also agree with you in lumping three months rather the names of seasons. I found it weird too. I prefer Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter more than Jug-ust or Nov-cember.
It'sused to distinguish between time differences rather than seasons (which are based on latitude & planet rotation offset)
Dom 8-)

robno

I love the season names though! Aprimay, Jugust - they should be called that in real life. Rimworld is on a whole planet, and the 'month' names should be consistent no matter where you are.

For example, say you're a trader visiting an outpost and you want to offer a date for your return. If you're in the tropics, seasons don't make sense, and if you're on opposite sides of the equator, their seasons are opposite to yours. It's much better to say 'I'll be back on 10 Aprimay'.

Tynan

We can't use seasons as primary date designators. We did this back when the world map only had a northern hemisphere, but now that the whole planet is modeled it's incoherent (I'm sure you can figure out why!)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

cultist

Quote from: Boston on July 02, 2018, 06:54:04 AM
I would love for Rimworld to have more Wh40k references. Everything is a bit too "generically Western" for my tastes, personally.

That's because the inspiration comes primarily from Firefly, not 40K. There are no 40K references at all that I'm aware of.

FluffyPenguin

I agree Glitterworld meds sounds magical worth the price from exotic traders, but ultratech doesn't sound so impressive IMHO.

gipothegip

It's all a sham, they're snake oil salesman. There's absolutely *zero* proof that came from a glitterworld.

Caniving bastards.

Quote from: Call me Arty on June 27, 2018, 01:03:58 AM
I came around to it, an Tynan has a point. It makes sense to say that a Glitterworld has ultratech medicine, but it would just be redundant to say that Glitterworld medicicine came from a Glitterworld. Besides, getting it on a Rimworld means that this "glitterworld" medicine is also on Urbworlds, Midworlds, Disneyworlds, Glasswords, etc. Not so specific now, huh?

I'm trying to imagine what Disneyworld medicine would be like...

Doc : Do you want a Duck Tales bandaid or a pretty princess?
Patient : Are you serious? I'm bleeding out!
Doc : Oh my, somebody's being a fussy britches, how about Mickey Mouse?
Patient : God damn it! I'm missing an arm!
Doc : Okay, we'll just go with Donald Duck. *applies bandage*
Patient : You can't be serious...
Should I feel bad that nearly half my posts are in the off topic section?

Boston

Quote from: cultist on July 03, 2018, 10:38:44 AM
Quote from: Boston on July 02, 2018, 06:54:04 AM

That's because the inspiration comes primarily from Firefly, not 40K. There are no 40K references at all that I'm aware of.

The planet-types are essentially ripped from WH40k, most with just a wordswap.

Kirby23590

Quote from: Boston on July 04, 2018, 05:42:26 AM
Quote from: cultist on July 03, 2018, 10:38:44 AM

The planet-types are essentially ripped from WH40k, most with just a wordswap.

Rimworlds came from the firefly universe as rim planets if could tell. Central planets in firefly would be equivalents of Midworlds or Urbworlds though.

But unlike Rimworld's Midworlds or Urbworlds. Central planets in Firefly are owned by the Alliance or the Union of Allied Planets

Border planets also exists in firefly and are not fully watched by the Alliance.

Where as Midworlds and Urbworlds they have their own governments but are independent since Faster Than Light Travel doesn't exist unlike in Firefly or WH40k. Since galactic empires would be impossible in rimworld's universe.

However Glassworlds & Toxic worlds could be equivalents of Dead Worlds or Death Worlds minus killer plants from Calachan in WH40K.

For The Imperial Guard!

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Serenity

Always funny when people think Warhammer is any way original and that everything else is ripped off from it  ::)

Decreasing development of planets the further out you go is a very, very common science fiction theme. It opens the way for storytelling about lawless frontier worlds, exploitation by rich inner planets, and rebellions.

Boston

Quote from: Serenity on July 04, 2018, 10:49:41 AM
Always funny when people think Warhammer is any way original and that everything else is ripped off from it  ::)

Decreasing development of planets the further out you go is a very, very common science fiction theme. It opens the way for storytelling about lawless frontier worlds, exploitation by rich inner planets, and rebellions.

Except WH40k is far older than Firefly.

Every single planet-type in Rimworld has a direct analogue in WH40k, which, to be true, isn't that special. But, on the other hand, underdeveloped far-flung planets aren't exclusive to Firefly, either. WH40k has "Frontier Worlds" just like Firefly has "border planets"

Never said WH40k is original, either. The best part of the setting is that it is so troperrific and borrows from almost anything.

Enderminion

instead of Glitterworld medicine, which doesn't have to come from a Glitterworld, maybe have Glittertech Medicine