Don't change the untranslated names

Started by Ambaire, June 26, 2018, 01:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ambaire

I noticed that the difficulty names got changed in the latest 1.0 preview.
From

To

And Glitterworld got changed to Ultratech or something similar.

Was this for localization reasons? Even if it was, there's no reason to change the untranslated versions.. they're fun and unique and should stay as they were.

Serenity

Injured Muffalo

I don't really understand this change either. Every game has slightly different difficulty names; it's not a complicated concept.

Glitterworld is something else entirely though, even though I liked that name better.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Ambaire

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on June 26, 2018, 11:23:13 PM
Glitterworld is something else entirely though, even though I liked that name better.

How so?

Shinzy

The previous name changes have been for sake of clarity (for new players)

Like 'Xerigium' to 'Healroot' or 'Lee Enfield' to 'bolt-action rifle'

or the new 'Glitterworld medicine' to 'Ultratech medicine'
Glitterworld is still a thing in the description so it's not gone ;D

But then there's the case where Megatherium got renamed to Megasloth and that is a travesty

AileTheAlien

I actually think the "ultratech" medicine was an unnecessary change, even for new players. The game already has the different medicine types laid out in a line on the pawn / medicine windows - none, herbal, regular, glitter. That clearly shows the progression from worst to best. On top of that, "ultra" as a prefix doesn't really convey anything more than "glitter", since it doesn't have a predefined, standard meaning in English. It generally means "really big", or "very much this thing it's prefixing", but "super", "mega", "ultra" are all equally as valid as "glitter" or "glittertech" or "glitterworld".

Injured Muffalo

That's not why he made the change. He made the change because "the medicine didn't necessarily come from a glitterworld."

So you think, well, can't all great medicine come from glitterworlds, or can't this particular medicine be from a glitterworld? But it's not your universe; it is not for you to decide that background of the interstellar economy.

Completely different from the difficulty names.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Serenity

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on June 27, 2018, 07:54:01 PM
He made the change because "the medicine didn't necessarily come from a glitterworld."
That's taking things too literally though. It would be more interesting and complex world building if glitterworld medicine isn't restricted strictly to glitterworlds, but has such a great reputation for quality and/or advancement that most people associate it with only the most developed planets. Or that while it traditionally was only available there, it has since spread out a bit as other planets caught up in development.