Predators Self Hunting - Unstable Build 1.01946

Started by Grimelord82, June 26, 2018, 05:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimelord82

I'm not sure if this belongs in Bugs or Suggestions, but it's a behavior I haven't seen until the 1.0 release.

Predators are set up so that they will hunt their own species, and even have a preference for that compared to taking on anything barely above their body size that might be prey. I've seen it happen with Timberwolves, Lynx and in my example a couple Arctic Fox when they had a live turkey to hunt across map, and multiple fresh animal/human corpses.

This invariably leads to both animals dying shortly after the first one gets hunted down. It's great for my fur industry, but kinda strange.
I've only run Boreal Forest locations so far, so I can't comment on animals in other biomes.

Some changes/fixes:
1) Spawn more small prey animals for the little predators - there should often be something to hunt, or the animal should be moving off map.
2) Increase the corpse find range, to the extent of the map. I nearly always have multiple animal corpses on my map that just go to rot because predators don't go scavenge them after the initial kill. I tend to leave people remnants outside behind a wall for the pigs.
3) Set food preferences for fresh corpses first, then small prey, then challenging prey, then rotten corpses, then stupidly dangerous prey (humans). This lets animals heal bit, mostly avoid food poisoning, and get hurt less. It gives players an incentive to leave out corpses for bait.
4) Predators shouldn't hunt their OWN species, ever. Make love, not war.
5) Predators figure out how to hunt larger prey in packs. Implement it using the Manhunt event as a base, with the predators sticking close to each other, and attacking the same target even if they aren't all hungry. It doesn't have to be universally implemented, but would be neat to see wolves and lions do.

[attachment deleted due to age]