[1.0] New graphics don't match the art style.

Started by AileTheAlien, June 27, 2018, 10:07:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AileTheAlien

I tried out the public-testing branch (which I believe is the candidate for "1.0"), and I think some of the new graphics don't look right. This game has people drawn as rough blobs (without pants no less!) for graphical simplicity, but now a few items don't match this visual style. I feel like these were actually a regression, even compared to the low-fidelity assets we had previously.

The new nutrient-paste dispencer (and hopper) looks weird. I think part of it is that the nutrient dispencer has so much detail now, but is drawn like a flat overhead schematic, while most other items in the game are drawn in a pseudo-3D, overhead sort-of othogonal viewpoint.

The smoothed walls look like they were drawn with too high DPI, but not enough detail? Not sure on that one.

Last, the stone-cutter's table has a weird circular part...for no apparent reason? Maybe I'm ignorant of real-world, old-timey stone-cutting technology, but wouldn't you want a flat table, with a big saw to cut square stones? Even with a chisel and hammer, you'd want something flat, so that you don't constantly have to fight a weirdly-shaped table, to make flat products. Right?