Far-future suggestion: Multiplayer and Adventure mode?

Started by Ludov, July 05, 2014, 12:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merry76

I hope you dont mind if I do not jump through the hoops of cutting your big posts into the relevant pieces and requoting it all again, because you wrote quite a lot (which isnt bad, mind you. Nor is it my intention to convert you to my side. I just enjoy these kinds of discussions). Let me just assure you that I read and understood it all  ;)

Also, I dont need to reply to everything you wrote because we more or less agree on several points, even if we have not stated so. It is implied however.

For example, the Rimworld interface, and its lacking military and gear management. Its super awful. It works, yes. You can undress and dress people with a mouseclick, wich is VERY intuitive (and accessible). But its horrible to not have an overview, because an overview does not exist - yet.

Another one is that you already have hotkeys in Rimworld - for instance (iirc "H" for hunt, again very intuitive). But, and this is a big "but", it only works if you are already in the submenu that already contains hunt as an icon. You hardly benefit from it the way you would if you could use it from anywhere - but that would of course limit the amount of commands you could apply to the keyboard as short commands. I am not sure where the keyboard hotkeys are going, but currently you are better off just ignoring them alltogether. This is of course weird for someone who played DF or even Gnomoria (games you can hardly play without keyboard commands), but Rimworld currently feels weird when you try to use them.

The list is probably much longer, but I am not really in the mood to go into every flaw...

Now its a bit unfair to say that Rimworld isnt finished, and it just might get such Features before it is finished - mainly because DF doesnt claim to be finished either. So they kind of are on the same ground in that regard. I just think that we will get a better solution from Rimworld - way before DF will ever produce a UI that is accessible (again, not "learnable" or "usable". Programming is learnable too, that doesnt mean that many people enjoy coding in C++ or assembler (just an examples)).

Concerning Flavour: I think you dont know me (yet), but I have stated on various occasions and on several forums that I value Function over Flavour any day of the week. Indeed, I could care less about having several biomes or huntable creatures. I dont want 5 different ways to produce fiber. This is all stuff that could be done by mods, very close to release, or even left out alltogether. I want stuff to work. I want stuff to be fun to use. I also want some management screens (gear comes to mind) or commands that work. I want a challenge thats also fair. Slapping another grahic on "huntable beast" and giving it a different name does add flavour, but adds nothing to the game for me.