Turn off custom characters / Choose backstories

Started by DeltaV, June 22, 2014, 11:35:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaV

Let me preface this by saying that I understand that the "Make your own backstory" characters were a benefit of paying more during the Kickstarter campaign, and that I know that they've all been checked to make sure that they fit mostly within the lore, and that I understand that you CAN get the default backstories as characters by pressing the 'random' button a few dozen times. With that said, at the current moment in time when there aren't a ton of custom characters to pick from, it gets a bit repetitive seeing the same people with the same names and backstories showing up every game, and so I think it would be nice to have an option in the game settings to disable custom backstories, at which point the game would generate characters based off of the early-development stuff (Con artist, medieval lordling, urbworld entrepreneur, etc.)

Alternatively, it would be interesting if you could click on the backstory name and it would let you pick from a list of available options, to keep people from having to click 'random' a hundred times to get something that they're looking for as far as skills go (I can't be the only one who doesn't want two people who can't mine at the start, right?). If possible, maybe even a little editor that lets you write your own flavor-text and pick some skills using a pool of, say, 20 points; the thing that would differentiate these from the Kickstarter ones is that they would only show up in your save.

Anyways, that's just my two cents - the biggest issue I could see would be finding a way to implement this without devaluing the Kickstarter rewards that let people make custom backstories in the first place, but I'm sure we could find a way around it?

-DeltaV
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

vagineer1

Quote from: DeltaV on June 22, 2014, 11:35:44 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I understand that the "Make your own backstory" characters were a benefit of paying more during the Kickstarter campaign, and that I know that they've all been checked to make sure that they fit mostly within the lore, and that I understand that you CAN get the default backstories as characters by pressing the 'random' button a few dozen times. With that said, at the current moment in time when there aren't a ton of custom characters to pick from, it gets a bit repetitive seeing the same people with the same names and backstories showing up every game, and so I think it would be nice to have an option in the game settings to disable custom backstories, at which point the game would generate characters based off of the early-development stuff (Con artist, medieval lordling, urbworld entrepreneur, etc.)

Alternatively, it would be interesting if you could click on the backstory name and it would let you pick from a list of available options, to keep people from having to click 'random' a hundred times to get something that they're looking for as far as skills go (I can't be the only one who doesn't want two people who can't mine at the start, right?). If possible, maybe even a little editor that lets you write your own flavor-text and pick some skills using a pool of, say, 20 points; the thing that would differentiate these from the Kickstarter ones is that they would only show up in your save.

Anyways, that's just my two cents - the biggest issue I could see would be finding a way to implement this without devaluing the Kickstarter rewards that let people make custom backstories in the first place, but I'm sure we could find a way around it?

-DeltaV

I have to agree with you. Pressing Randomize one hundred times to get a colony settler is rather annoying (But that is just my opinion)
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Viceroy

Yeah, they should add a 'balanced start' button that automatically gives you 3 starting colonists that are capable of doing all tasks.
Dog goes moo!

StorymasterQ

Also a "Easy start" where the colonists are expert buildsman, researcher, and grower.
Also a "Hard start" where one of the colonists will always be a noble.
Also an "Impossible start" where the colonists are three nobles.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Coenmcj

Quote from: StorymasterQ on June 23, 2014, 12:11:45 AM
Also an "Impossible start" where the colonists are three nobles.
my word. you monster.

Quote from: DeltaV on June 22, 2014, 11:35:44 AM
-Snip-
I must agree that 3 times out of 5 I'll start with either 2 people incapable of the basic tasks such as growing or mining, or with 1 that cannot perform any work at all. (that one trait that stops people from doing any labour)
And then press random once or twice until I atleast have something not that bad
but I don't go to the extremes of pressing random until my finger falls off or I find the perfect team.

Rimworld is about the story and whatnot, having colonists that aren't superworkers does appeal to some of us. (Although I do miss Settlers, entrepeneurs and miners)
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

StorymasterQ

Alright, an "Imbalanced start" where you can choose either Constructor, Miner, Grower, or Entrepreneur, then get three colonists of ONLY that :D
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Nefisa

I couldn't agree more. Alot of emphasis has been placed upon Rimworld being about telling a story, one that you create and nurture. Yet I feel that my ability to properly create a scenario that truly is MINE is severely beholden to the [random] button.
I want to be able to choose every detail of my landing party. Age, backstory, traits (even though they don't do anything yet, its all part of the storytelling and if its wrong the story feels wrong), hair colour, even the character icon and clothing.

While I understand that this could open the door to being able to create the perfect 'super group' I don't think it would be a massively detremental addition to the game simply because it offers choice, and choice is good. Not everyone will make the best group possible, many people (myself included) will still mash the [random] button half a dozen times with their eyes closed and go with whatever comes up, because sometimes thats what I find fun. I would also have fun if I could choose to play a scenario that I had carefully crafted meticulously.
<Signature goes here>

Haplo

Personally I am more of the opinion, that you maybe could build up the first colonist to your preferences. You could maybe select him/her like now, with the random button or even with direct customizing, but the others are not in your sphere of influence, so they should start randomized like now (or even optional without the random button ;) ). This way the first one is always 'You', but the others are just 'some people you met surviving the crash'.

vagineer1

Quote from: Haplo on June 26, 2014, 06:43:09 AM
Personally I am more of the opinion, that you maybe could build up the first colonist to your preferences. You could maybe select him/her like now, with the random button or even with direct customizing, but the others are not in your sphere of influence, so they should start randomized like now (or even optional without the random button ;) ). This way the first one is always 'You', but the others are just 'some people you met surviving the crash'.

After reading this I agree completely. You should at least be able to customize "Yourself"
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Geokinesis

Quote from: Nefisa on June 26, 2014, 05:31:03 AM
I couldn't agree more. Alot of emphasis has been placed upon Rimworld being about telling a story, one that you create and nurture. Yet I feel that my ability to properly create a scenario that truly is MINE is severely beholden to the [random] button.
I want to be able to choose every detail of my landing party. Age, backstory, traits (even though they don't do anything yet, its all part of the storytelling and if its wrong the story feels wrong), hair colour, even the character icon and clothing.

You can't really have it so you customise all your starters and be fair to those who did pay for the fancy backstory in game.

Also I can't believe people are sitting there hitting random so many times, I just make sure at least 1 has growing and 1 has constructing and I'm off.