Barbed wire

Started by Injured Muffalo, July 01, 2018, 01:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Injured Muffalo

I was thinking about how basic our security options are. Then I thought about mechanoids and hedgehogs. Then barbed wire.

There are many ways it could work.
It could cause small cuts (logically) to those who pass through it.
It would certainly slow those who pass through it.
It could even have a chance of getting someone stuck for a few seconds. Nice!

Currently you can do something similar by building a crapton of sandbags. But that is a workaround to what should be there.

Another option is to make somehow passage possible for your people/allies. Walk between rows of barbed wire, for instance, or some kind of gate that you can place to pass through it. Bring the Great War to your RimWorld today, with a nice long crafted-at-a-workbench coil of barbed wire.
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Trblz42

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on July 01, 2018, 01:51:51 PM
Another option is to make somehow passage possible for your people/allies. Walk between rows of barbed wire, for instance, or some kind of gate that you can place to pass through it. Bring the Great War to your RimWorld today, with a nice long crafted-at-a-workbench coil of barbed wire.

A fog-of-war principle could be interesting in Rimworld. For your colonist they discover the map and know the location of the traps. For raiders they don't know it yet -but- the survivors have a high chance of remembering the base and a lower chance (ex: 50%) to remember the locations of the traps/guns etc.
Don't panic and carry a towel

Bolgfred

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on July 01, 2018, 01:51:51 PM
There are many ways it could work.
It could cause small cuts (logically) to those who pass through it.
It would certainly slow those who pass through it.
It could even have a chance of getting someone stuck for a few seconds. Nice!

Basicly not a bad idea, but if you have a tile-modifier that deal damage, slow down, and even slow down more, I would spam this about everywhere on my map and use sniper rifles only.
If you try to prevent this, there are two options:
1. wires get consumed by walking over them, which makes them identical to traps
2. You increase cost and construction time, which makes them terribly op in lategame or cheesing.

It's not that it wouldn't be cool, but doesn't fit Rimworld balancing.
Thinking more about an electric fence, which needs power per tile, slow down and has a 25% chance on damage+stun based on melee skill (you probably can jump the fence, but if you don't you get grilled).
The fact, this thing needs electricity will prevent it from spamming/massive usage, while still give all effects you asked: damage, slowdown, stun, entrenching
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil