Refugee information reveal:

Started by dearmad, July 04, 2018, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dearmad

So how about: Over the radio while trying to convince you they are worth saving, they tell you maybe 3 things about themselves, one of which is usually a lie... so like: "I'm really good with animals, can cook great Chinese food, and hate drugs!"

..so actually he can't cook worth a damn... and maybe likes to eat too much! So you at least get 2/3 or so attributes that ADD to your expectations of why you would save him and then you don't feel so f'in robbed like I do with no information and a total asswipe endangers my base...

Injured Muffalo

This seems like a great candidate for the suggestions forum.  :)
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

Daimonin

This would be nice. Especially now that pursuing raiders seem to no longer just give up and go home after catching their target. That was an unpleasant discovery.

Scavenger

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Grimelord82

I like this idea as well.
In addition, it might be time to look at the Raid chases that refugees have coming after them. I've played this game since A13 or so, and it seems like Refugee raids have nearly double the points of standard raids for all that time.
I'm at about 13k wealth, and my last standard raid had 1 shield guy, some decent rifles, about 8-10 pawns. Two the pawns had Painstoppers installed in their heads. My two snipers softened them and then I mauled them with my Polar Bear Pair (TM) and Warg pack. I kill 5 and definitely saw 3 retreat.

Then refugee raid shows up a day later, and looks like this:
1) 5 shield guys, with an assortment of clubs.
2) 4 folks high on go juice
3) 4 bionic parts in the party.
4) 18 pawns.

This makes it really dangerous to take refugees. It's literally the most dangerous thing that can happen, and that's odd.

[attachment deleted due to age]

BlackSmokeDMax

bbqftw

Quote from: Grimelord82 on July 04, 2018, 11:34:35 PM
I like this idea as well.
In addition, it might be time to look at the Raid chases that refugees have coming after them. I've played this game since A13 or so, and it seems like Refugee raids have nearly double the points of standard raids for all that time.
I'm at about 13k wealth, and my last standard raid had 1 shield guy, some decent rifles, about 8-10 pawns. Two the pawns had Painstoppers installed in their heads. My two snipers softened them and then I mauled them with my Polar Bear Pair (TM) and Warg pack. I kill 5 and definitely saw 3 retreat.

Then refugee raid shows up a day later, and looks like this:
1) 5 shield guys, with an assortment of clubs.
2) 4 folks high on go juice
3) 4 bionic parts in the party.
4) 18 pawns.

This makes it really dangerous to take refugees. It's literally the most dangerous thing that can happen, and that's odd.
In addition to this, the crashlanded pool is one of the worst character pools in the game with tons of incapables / drug addicts. In fact, it is so full of bad pawns I would argue that the "refugee that is relation of colonist chased" is a punishment event.

Canute

Hey guy's i am good in this and that, and got a passion in everything beside cooking.

And once you arrive:
Sorry people, thats for coming, but i need to say i lie, i am good at nothing.
I lie or you didn't came to rescue me.

Perq

PLEASE HELP ME, PIRATES ARE CHASING ME OMFG PLEASE!

Yeah, well, duuuuh... but what can you do?

While I'm not the biggest fan of getting terrible pawns from this event, I gotta admit that interviewing a person who is running for their life is kinda anticlimatic. Not to mention that this doesn't happen all that often.

We simply need an option to banish pawns that are deemed by every other pawn as useless and therefore a dead weight in their effort to stay alive. That makes sense, and is very likely to happen when times are grim.

So yeah - you'd still have to take a chance in answering to a random call for help over radio. That how it works, I suppose?
I'm nobody from nowhere who knows nothing about anything.
But you are still wrong.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Perq on July 05, 2018, 06:21:03 AM
We simply need an option to banish pawns that are deemed by every other pawn as useless and therefore a dead weight in their effort to stay alive. That makes sense, and is very likely to happen when times are grim.

This already exists, doesn't it? There's a banish option on every pawn that I've noticed, at least since 1.0.

So yeah - you'd still have to take a chance in answering to a random call for help over radio. That how it works, I suppose?

The problem, I think, is that a lot of people are claiming that they simply don't take that risk, because they feel it's rarely ever worth it. I don't know if it's as prevalent as people are claiming (I still do it early game, but mid-late, not so much) but if people are simply opting out of a particular game mechanic on a regular basis, something needs to be balanced.

dearmad

The refuge could at least give us some sort of estimate of what is tailing him. Of course, yes they could always lie, but... Idk, the event isn't fun as it is time after time I just ignore it.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: dearmad on July 05, 2018, 07:53:29 AM
The refuge could at least give us some sort of estimate of what is tailing him. Of course, yes they could always lie, but...
Or even /why/ the refugee is so valuable to their chasers that they need to be hunted down/recaptured? Perhaps a generic tech point boost if their skill lvls/passions are low?
Dom 8-)

Oblitus

Quote from: Snafu_RW on July 05, 2018, 06:14:27 PM
Or even /why/ the refugee is so valuable to their chasers that they need to be hunted down/recaptured? Perhaps a generic tech point boost if their skill lvls/passions are low?
Good question, actually. Why a huge mob is tailing a single worthless pawn and even going to try assault a fortified base to get them?

dearmad

Quote from: Snafu_RW on July 05, 2018, 06:14:27 PM
Quote from: dearmad on July 05, 2018, 07:53:29 AM
The refuge could at least give us some sort of estimate of what is tailing him. Of course, yes they could always lie, but...

Now THIS is smart and +lore building. Cool!  Maybe she/he was supposed to marry so and so, and/or stole their cash or something? So they come with silver, or some cool item they stole? Even if their skills are low this would make me TEMPTED!

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Perq on July 05, 2018, 06:21:03 AM

And suddenly everybody refuses to safe fleeing relatives that show up, because you can't get rid of them.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.